NTTD & Corona

Comments

• Oh well........I wish Eon/Universal good luck. They need a lot of it.
  • tqbtqb
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/warner-bros-won-t-share-133045631.html

I wonder why WB won't release the numbers... (sarcasm)

Wouldn't be surprised if NTTD gets delayed now.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 12,914
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/warner-bros-won-t-share-133045631.html

Warner Bros. and Comscore declined to comment on this report. However, studio sources argue they aren’t obligated to share numbers with anyone else and stress that there’s no precedent for releasing a movie in a pandemic. Comparing “Tenet” to any other movie, one source said, is “apples and kumquats.” By distributing numbers in the traditional fashion, anyone on the outside could jump to conclusions and categorize “Tenet” as a financial disaster.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Well, Tenet actually is a financial disaster. Plus, people doesn't seem to love it and it's perfectly clear why.

As for NTTD, who knows. I'm pessimistic about November but at this point I just want to see the film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Nothing like hiding box office numbers to really showcase enthusiasm and optimism! Put NTTD online and be done with it already. If they aren't doing that or there's no hybrid release, it won't be hitting the numbers they hope it will in cinemas, that's all but confirmed.
    Just let us have the movie now! There is too much uncertainty with the virus going far beyond this year. A hybrid theater + VOD release is something I’d be in favor of. Just anything to get it out this year. It’s been so long and delaying it more and more won’t end up helping anyone.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Nothing like hiding box office numbers to really showcase enthusiasm and optimism! Put NTTD online and be done with it already. If they aren't doing that or there's no hybrid release, it won't be hitting the numbers they hope it will in cinemas, that's all but confirmed.

Not going to happen.Unlike the states,many cinemas are open all round the world and people are going to the cinema.I have no problem going to the theater in Nov to see the film as its less of a risk than going to a shop to get food.Also,as has been said before,they would lose a lot of money just releasing to streaming.
    It will be a "normal" release schedule.
    Theatrical release: Most countries on Nov 12th, US on Nov 20th.

And then VOD around March 2021.
    Blu-Ray around May 2021.
    Streaming-Flat around Fall 2021.
    Free-TV in 2023.

That's my bet.
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Not going to happen.Unlike the states,many cinemas are open all round the world and people are going to the cinema.I have no problem going to the theater in Nov to see the film as its less of a risk than going to a shop to get food.Also,as has been said before,they would lose a lot of money just releasing to streaming.

Hence the option for a hybrid release, caters to both crowds.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I'd bet that NTTD has a chance of performing better than TENET as a crowd pleaser. For one thing, you'll probably be able to hear the bloody dialogue in the sound mix.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    I'd bet that NTTD has a chance of performing better than TENET as a crowd pleaser. For one thing, you'll probably be able to hear the bloody dialogue in the sound mix.

Maybe tenet should have subtitles...... :))
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Tenet stars no one, and it’s not like Nolan is coming off the Batman series to really draw them in.... people may risk their life for an old friend, a Cruise or DiCaprio, but not for Nolan.... maybe if the trailers had shown a more original film and not an Inception lite repeat or had a real star Or if the audience scores were higher. Plus again in the USA the biggest theatre regions are closed

My parents, who are old, both said they’d go to the theater to see NTTD, so no doubt NTTD will do better, especially if USA is more open by Nov

Now I don’t think reopening everything is going to work and we’ll get spikes everywhere and things will shut back down.... so it’s really going to be a timing thing if NTTD opens. It’s actually better that Wonder Woman moved to Dec
  • jamesbond0007jamesbond0007 mississippi
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Tenet stars no one, and it’s not like Nolan is coming off the Batman series to really draw them in.... people may risk their life for an old friend, a Cruise or DiCaprio, but not for Nolan.... maybe if the trailers had shown a more original film and not an Inception lite repeat or had a real star Or if the audience scores were higher. Plus again in the USA the biggest theatre regions are closed

My parents, who are old, both said they’d go to the theater to see NTTD, so no doubt NTTD will do better, especially if USA is more open by Nov

Now I don’t think reopening everything is going to work and we’ll get spikes everywhere and things will shut back down.... so it’s really going to be a timing thing if NTTD opens. It’s actually better that Wonder Woman moved to Dec

Being that the films lead is a lil known black actor along with other lil knowns and pretty boy Pattinson why heck Caine is the star of the film......
  • peterpeter Toronto

Being that the films lead is a lil known black actor along with other lil knowns and pretty boy Pattinson why heck Caine is the star of the film......

Because he's in one three minute scene.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 1,394

Anyone who has seen Tenet will tell you that its not an '' Inception lite repeat ''.Its very original.The film has problems yes,but its highly ambitious blockbuster filmaking.The kind that is all too rare in this age of endless reboots,rehashes and sequels.
    The audience score, assuming pretty die hard fans, gave it a “b.”

Inception lite is what it looks like by the trailer... I’m not judging the actual film as I haven’t seen it

But I doubt this would be a blockbuster even without Covid for all the reasons I mentioned. And I like Nolan. I like his movies in spite of his clinical attempt at creating “human” characters and am glad he’s in the position he’s in, unlike a lot other filmmakers who are in privileged positions, ahem , Mendes.

That said, by the trailers and reviews, even without Covid, I may have skipped this movie and waited for home release and I think the general audience feels the same.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Tenet earns $6.7 million on its second weekend.

With 70% of theaters now opened, the total box office at the US this weekend failed to reach $15 million, meaning there's not enough box office intake to cover exhibitors' operating expenses.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/tenet-6-7-million-total-box-office-is-under-15-million-theaters-hurt-1234586104/

Edit: Judging by the box office reports on BoxOfficeMojo, the total box office of this weekend domestically was just over $12.5 million. This isn't just disastrous, this is apocalyptically bad. If Tenet, New Mutants and Unhinged keep dropping, by next weekend we could very well be under $10 million domestically (all films combined). I don't see how US theaters won't be forced to shut down again since there are no new big releases until Death on the Nile on October 23rd (in 5 weeks from now). The only two relatively mid-budget films opening before that are Greenland next week and Honest Thief on October 9th, but neither of those will earn much at the box office.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Thank god Bond is stronger on international markets.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I think NTTD could be the first Bond film to not be released theatrically in the US, except for the absolute minimum required L.A. theaters to qualify for the Oscars.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think NTTD could be the first Bond film to not be released theatrically in the US, except for the absolute minimum required L.A. theaters to qualify for the Oscars.

There also has to be a certain level of diversity now.

That apparently won't go into effect for a couple of years.

It will make the Oscars an even bigger political joke than it already is.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

While it sounds silly in the headlines, I can't think of any major film in the last few years that wouldn't meet the minimum of those proposed requirements. And they're certainly not a threat to Bond.

While it sounds silly in the headlines, I can't think of any major film in the last few years that wouldn't meet the minimum of those proposed requirements. And they're certainly not a threat to Bond.

Probably no major films, but almost certainly several brilliant smaller scale films.
    The Gerard Butler disaster film Greenland, due to release next Friday in the USA, has been delayed indefinitely.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/gerard-butler-greenland-movie-july-opening-date-1202956851/
    For obscure reasons, each I see a films delayed, it's become in my head films that I wan't to boycott when they gonna finaly be out...
    The Gerard Butler disaster film Greenland, due to release next Friday in the USA, has been delayed indefinitely.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/gerard-butler-greenland-movie-july-opening-date-1202956851/

But the movie has been released in some countries worldwide already and made $12 million to date (in Belgium it was already released in July). So this is just an US decision.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

But the movie has been released in some countries worldwide already and made $12 million to date (in Belgium it was already released in July). So this is just an US decision.

Thanks for repeating what I already wrote and what the article already said. Also: I have seen the film, so I am aware the film has been released in Europe. The last few posts here concern only the US box office. As the main character said in Tenet: "Try and keep up."

Shame, I didn't have the highest hopes for it but I was itching for another disaster-type film. I'll check it out eventually.
    Jan1985 wrote: »

Thank you For clarifying, I didn’t want or need to read the article. Which leads to my surprise that any Gerard Butler makes theatrical release... I actually just watched that Gods of Egypt movie and quite enjoyed it.