NTTD & Corona

Comments

It’s social gatherings of more than 6. So two people going to the cinema and sitting socially distanced from other groups is ok.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    It’s social gatherings of more than 6. So two people going to the cinema and sitting socially distanced from other groups is ok.

Correct.
    It just means, that 6 people can sit in a cinema without distancing.
  • The New York Times is reporting a volunteer in the Oxford UK trial has been diagnosed with transverse myelitis, an inflammatory syndrome that affects the spinal cord and can be caused by viral infections. Trial has been halted.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Wonder Woman 1984 set to be delayed to December 2020; Dune set to be delayed to 2021.

https://deadline.com/2020/09/wonder-woman-1984-release-date-change-2020-november-christmas-1203019735/
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Can’t say I’m surprised...
    So unless there are further delays, this makes NTTD the next big release?
  • I think at the moment it's just Death on the Nile and Black Widow now, right?
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    USA needs LA, NY and SF to have theaters open.... they make up some insane percentage of theater goers here, like 50-75%

If Mulan does well on Disney +, Black Widow will go there.... now I’d be surprised how well Mulan is doing because they way over priced it
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    USA needs LA, NY and SF to have theaters open.... they make up some insane percentage of theater goers here, like 50-75%

If Mulan does well on Disney +, Black Widow will go there.... now I’d be surprised how well Mulan is doing because they way over priced it

Starting on Sept 30th, in-door dinning will be permitted in New York City – at 25 percent capacity.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/nyregion/indoor-dining-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Prior to today’s announcement, there was growing bi-partisan calls to re-open indoor dinning, especially since neighboring New Jersey (state) had done so a couple of weeks ago.

The next few weeks will be very interesting, since many New York City museums are re-opening this week (at about 25% capacity with timed tickets) as well as some in-door shopping malls. Also, note that although movie theaters in New Jersey are now open (at the lesser of either 25% capacity or 150 people), they are still closed in New York. Today’s announcement, however, may result in their re-opening (sooner rather than later) by November (i.e., NTTD’s US opening).

• edited September 2020 Posts: 613
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Also, note that although movie theaters in New Jersey are now open (at the lesser of either 25% capacity or 150 people), they are still closed in New York. Today’s announcement, however, may result in their re-opening (sooner rather than later) by November (i.e., NTTD’s US opening).

Movie theaters are also open in neighboring Connecticut. I live in a suburb of NYC and can literally drive ten minutes to see TENET in a theater (not that I'm going to, but still...) Even someone without a car in NYC can take an express train from Grand Central up to Stamford (40 minutes or so) and see whatever they want on the big screen.

Gov. Cuomo is well aware of this, so, yeah, I'm guessing movie theaters in NYC are coming very soon. It's weird, too, because early on in the epidemic all three of the governors (Cuomo, Phil Murphy & Ned Lamont) vowed to get on the same page about reopening, but since then they've all been doing their own thing.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sony won't 'make the mistake' of releasing a $200 million movie until more theaters reopen.

“What we won’t do is make the mistake of putting a very, very expensive $200 million movie out in the market unless we’re sure that theaters are open and operating at significant capacity,” Vinciquerra said during Bank of America’s 2020 Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference.

His comments came as Hollywood struggles to get its hands around the recent release of Warner Bros. “Tenet,” which grossed $20 million in its opening weekend in the U.S. (without New York or L.A. theaters showing it). Is that good? Is it what the industry should expect right now for a $200 million film that has been touted as the movie to reignite the movie going crowd?

https://www.thewrap.com/sony-wont-make-the-mistake-of-releasing-a-200-million-movie-until-more-theaters-reopen/
  • jamesbond0007jamesbond0007 mississippi
    Sony won't 'make the mistake' of releasing a $200 million movie until more theaters reopen.

“What we won’t do is make the mistake of putting a very, very expensive $200 million movie out in the market unless we’re sure that theaters are open and operating at significant capacity,” Vinciquerra said during Bank of America’s 2020 Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference.

His comments came as Hollywood struggles to get its hands around the recent release of Warner Bros. “Tenet,” which grossed $20 million in its opening weekend in the U.S. (without New York or L.A. theaters showing it). Is that good? Is it what the industry should expect right now for a $200 million film that has been touted as the movie to reignite the movie going crowd?

https://www.thewrap.com/sony-wont-make-the-mistake-of-releasing-a-200-million-movie-until-more-theaters-reopen/

Typical greedy American Banker much less the greediest Bank In America........Never trust an American Banker.....
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Considering the state that the US is in, did anyone honestly expect a bigger opening than the one that actually took place?
    Probably a safer place to see NTTD than the theaters.......The ole Drive In

https://vanburendriveintheatre.com/movies/no-time-to-die/#:~:text=The drive-in theatre is,the bathroom or snack bar.
  • BT3366 wrote: »
    Call it a geek thing, but Bond is a special enough subject for some of us that the theater experience is part of what makes us fans. I can still recall the venue I saw the film, who I was with, my impressions at the time, and in some cases what I did afterward. I can't really say that with many things on home video, streaming or so much else that is so readily available these days.

I've seen all 24 Eon films in the cinema on first release and have to admit I have vivid memories of all 24 viewings. Such is the power of Bond on the big screen.

edited September 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Tenet's projection for its second weekend are in: between $5.8 million to $7.4 million.

Reminder that it made just over $11 million on its opening weekend.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-forecast-what-tenet-might-have-made-last-weekend-what-it-may-make-in-its-second-frame/
    Wonder Woman 1984 officially delayed to December 25th, 2020.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/wonder-woman-1984-delayed-christmas-1234766774/
  • DC's comics are advertising that WW84 will absolutely, positively, no kiddin' around, be released in 2020 so there!
    Well well. The stats in the UK are going very south very quickly. Stand by my original statement of November being impossible I think. Can’t see cinemas staying open at this rate till the end of the month
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    Well well. The stats in the UK are going very south very quickly. Stand by my original statement of November being impossible I think. Can’t see cinemas staying open at this rate till the end of the month

Cinemas will stay open. The government will not closes businesses again, the economy just won't be able to take it, they will take measures on people gathering from different households. Until deaths and hospital admissions rise (which they still have not done so) November is very much on for NTTD.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    If it's released in US theaters in November; there's unfortunately no way I will go to a theater. The risk is too great. Gotta hold out for the DVD. Of course, I will know what happens, all the surprise will be gone. But it is what it is.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Dr. Fauci also just stated that he thinks going to the cinema won't be safe until a full year AFTER a vaccine is produced.
  • Dr. Fauci also just stated that he thinks going to the cinema won't be safe until a full year AFTER a vaccine is produced.

Safer than going to the shops.
  • Cinemas may stay open but will people still want to visit them? There are no certainties but a safe effective vaccine may come next year. Thanksgiving 2021 has to be a better prospect than this November for NTTD. An early decision needs to be taken to avoid wasted marketing costs
    Dr. Fauci also just stated that he thinks going to the cinema won't be safe until a full year AFTER a vaccine is produced.

Safer than going to the shops.

Correct.
    Safer than shopping, going to restaurants, having a family party.
    Cinemas in most european countries are open since May/June. And I have not read about ONE case of a spreader event in a cinema. If there was ONE screening where several visitors got corona afterwards, it would have been in the media.

You read about outbreaks that happened at parties, at restaurants, in schools etc. - but never in theatres.
    That has to do with good ventilation, distanced seating and almost no talking during the show. Whereas people chatter all the time at restaurants, in bars, at parties, while shopping etc.
    Cinemas may stay open but will people still want to visit them? There are no certainties but a safe effective vaccine may come next year. Thanksgiving 2021 has to be a better prospect than this November for NTTD. An early decision needs to be taken to avoid wasted marketing costs

They have made their decision.They released a new trailer and have ramped up the marketing again.Bond WILL be coming out in November unless cinemas are shut.

As Doctor Strange said in Infinity War...'' Were in the Endgame now ''.
    Probably a safer place to see NTTD the
    =bg= wrote: »
    If it's released in US theaters in November; there's unfortunately no way I will go to a theater. The risk is too great. Gotta hold out for the DVD. Of course, I will know what happens, all the surprise will be gone. But it is what it is.

Me also ....And with Oct 1 st the beginning of flu season let all them fools run to the theaters.....They screwing themselves by not releasing it online already.

Me also ....And with Oct 1 st the beginning of flu season let all them fools run to the theaters.....They screwing themselves by not releasing it online already.

Do you work for Netflix or some streaming service? You're awfully adamant about getting the film out and anti-theater in your posts.

I want to be safe too and have no desire to go to a theater, but I also don't feel I need to have the film right now either as much as I want to see it, especially if it means long-term repercussions as far as losing money and meaning the series is screwed because of it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    BT3366 wrote: »

Do you work for Netflix or some streaming service? You're awfully adamant about getting the film out and anti-theater in your posts.

I want to be safe too and have no desire to go to a theater, but I also don't feel I need to have the film right now either as much as I want to see it, especially if it means long-term repercussions as far as losing money and meaning the series is screwed because of it.

I don't think Eon is hurting for money; the financing (and the risk) comes from elsewhere. And I do think they will push to 2021.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Tenet is going towards a second domestic weekend of $6.75 million to $7 million.