NTTD & Corona

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    He may be a psychopath, but he's a psychopath that puts 110% into his commitments. If it's a movie about pool hustlers, he'll dedicate a lot of time becoming a pro at the game and learn all the trick shots. If he's in a movie about stock car racing, he'll actually do the racing. That's dedication.

I couldn't agree more.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    He may be a psychopath, but he's a psychopath that puts 110% into his commitments. If it's a movie about pool hustlers, he'll dedicate a lot of time becoming a pro at the game and learn all the trick shots. If he's in a movie about stock car racing, he'll actually do the racing. That's dedication.

He's not a psychopath. He's a gay man trapped in a cult.
    A "psychopath"? Do you guys know what you're on about? A "gay man trapped in a cult"? What? I mean, if by gay you mean happy, then you probably are correct. But otherwise, that's just wrong man.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The thing about Cruise is that for whatever reason, he's become the public's whipping boy on Scientology. I'm not sure it's fair. I know little about Scientology, don't care. But I do know that Cruise is not alone. Elisabeth Moss and Beck, one of my favorite musicians, are also members. They don't catch the crap that Cruise does. Regardless, no crewmember or co-star has ever had a negative thing to say about him. Cruise has never had a drug problem (a la Downey), has never been busted for a DUI (a la Berry), has never blown up on set (al la Bale), has never been accused of spousal abuse or domestic violence (a la Depp), has never been accused of sexual misconduct (a la..a lot of people). All of that, to me, speaks to his character a hell of a lot more than what weird religion he's into.

Well said @TripAces. Cruises' following of Scientology really seems to bother people. Personally i couldn't care less about his or anyone else's religious beliefs. I dont care that Cruise is a Scientologist anymore than i care that Mel Gibson is Catholic or Spielberg is Jewish.
  • RedNineRedNine Poland
    TripAces wrote: »
    The thing about Cruise is that for whatever reason, he's become the public's whipping boy on Scientology. I'm not sure it's fair. I know little about Scientology, don't care. But I do know that Cruise is not alone. Elisabeth Moss and Beck, one of my favorite musicians, are also members. They don't catch the crap that Cruise does. Regardless, no crewmember or co-star has ever had a negative thing to say about him. Cruise has never had a drug problem (a la Downey), has never been busted for a DUI (a la Berry), has never blown up on set (al la Bale), has never been accused of spousal abuse or domestic violence (a la Depp), has never been accused of sexual misconduct (a la..a lot of people). All of that, to me, speaks to his character a hell of a lot more than what weird religion he's into.

Possibly because unlike them Cruise became a posterboy for them and promoted them wherever he could. Also he called psychiatry a pseudo-science, attacked Brooke Shields on air for leaving the church and allegedly had Nicole Kidman wiretapped. Also, using Depp as an example after all the details that came to light is seriously scummy
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Cruise's dedication commands respect. Whatever his scientology crap, I think he is a great actor. Personally, I prefer to separate the art from the artist. That includes cases like Spacey, Depp, Polanski,... all of whom are under heavy attack yet have more than once enriched the world of cinema.
  • TripAces wrote: »

There’s a bit more to it than just beliefs to be fair, if rumours are to be believed. Watch the scientology doc, Going Clear. He really doesn’t come out of it smelling of roses.

I imagine at this point though, with his career in resurgance, he’d probably like to get rid. But could be a Travolta situation, too much dirt on him.

It’s a hollow compliment to praise someone for NOT beating their wife.
  • Matt007 wrote: »

It’s a hollow compliment to praise someone for NOT beating their wife.

Seems a bit unfair to throw that at Johnny Depp too. The trial is still ongoing, but the police have found no evidence when they investigated one of the supposed incidents, while there’s a recording of her where she admits to hitting him. Too early to judge and they’re clearly both messed up people, but so far the evidence seems to be in his favour.

And if we’re going off abuse accusations alone, then by rights we should be judging Cruise too. Some grim stuff about Nicole Kidman and then another a girlfriend of his in that scientology doc. Not physical, but very messed up if true.
    Even then, I'd love to see who among us is entirely without sin. ;-)
    I think based on this we can expect No Time To Die to stay in international territories, virus winter wave notwithstanding... https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/tenet-box-office-international-christopher-nolan-1234753966/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,690
    antovolk wrote: »
    I think based on this we can expect No Time To Die to stay in international territories, virus winter wave notwithstanding... https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/tenet-box-office-international-christopher-nolan-1234753966/

That's good news @antovolk. And I believe spoilers will be even less of a problem for NTTD compared to Tenet for EON to go with a staggered release, correct?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    That is good news.

We're only twelve weeks or so away now, aren't we?
    *crosses fingers super tightly*
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @CraigMooreOHMSS European releases are just over 10 weeks from now. France on November 11th will be 70 days away this Wednesday.

Marketing should ramp up any time now.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @CraigMooreOHMSS European releases are just over 10 weeks from now. France on November 11th will be 70 days away this Wednesday.

Now that those Tenet numbers have been released, September should be a very interesting month here!
    antovolk wrote: »

That's good news @antovolk. And I believe spoilers will be even less of a problem for NTTD compared to Tenet for EON to go with a staggered release, correct?

Not as much spoilers but *in spite of* any potential issues - there's more precedent with Bond doing this vs other big films.

The King's Man was moved to February just three weeks before it's September release.
    So we cannot be sure, not even in late October.
  • Even when tickets are on pre-sale again the release still isn't locked in. We went through this the first time. Hopefully by this time end of September we will have a better idea , lots can change in a few weeks!
    Even when tickets are on pre-sale again the release still isn't locked in. We went through this the first time. Hopefully by this time end of September we will have a better idea , lots can change in a few weeks!

Yes. Nothing is locked in until it’s actually playing on the screens.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,730
    Even when tickets are on pre-sale again the release still isn't locked in. We went through this the first time. Hopefully by this time end of September we will have a better idea , lots can change in a few weeks!

the movie theatre still kept my "convenience fee" of 6 dollars.

the movie theatre still kept my "convenience fee" of 6 dollars.

I lost a few bucks as well. I ordered the marathon tickets, which was really a bummer to miss in particular as I didn’t have the opportunity to see CR at the theater originally.

Bit much to call him a psychopath.Eccentric is the word id choose.I dont care what religion he believes in,as that is his own business.Hes a great actor,dedicates himself fully to his roles and literally risks his life doing crazy stunts for our entertainment.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 824
    Tenet has been released in late Summer, NTTD is scheduled for November, the edge of winter when the virus is more infectious..........Is it responsible to encourage audiences into an indoor environment with strangers at that time?
  • Tenet has been released in late Summer, NTTD is scheduled for November, the edge of winter when the virus is more infectious..........Is it responsible to encourage audiences into an indoor environment with strangers at that time?

Assuming they manage to get it out, it’ll depend on how high cases in my
    area are for me, personally. If it was coming out now I’d be the first one there. But if things have gotten worse again with it being winter, then I dunno.

I want to see it. But at the end of the day it’s just a film. I’d rather skip it and wait for the blu ray than catch it and give it to any of the older people I know. Hope it doesn’t come to that but personally I’m expecting the worst to avoid more disappointment.
    Hope it doesn’t come to that but personally I’m expecting the worst to avoid more disappointment.

Exactly. It's not about being pessimistic, but the situation regarding the pandemic is changing so quickly, IMO it's for the best to not get our hopes up until we arrive to the November release date and NTTD does come out on that day. If it gets delayed, so be it. If it comes as planned in November, great! But I don't want to count down the last 70-odd days in excitement until November only to get terribly disappointed we won't see NTTD until 2021.

2020 has really been a bad year, so it's no use to add unnecessary disappointments that could easily have been avoided.
    I second that, @DaltonCraig007.
    No matter how important a Bond film is to me, I will not risk infecting my parents, my students and colleagues, my fiance or myself. It's "only" a movie and nowadays, we don't have to wait a full year for a BR release anymore. I will respectfully decline any offer to see the film as long as the virus is among us. Only some incredibly optimistic infection numbers and an empty theatre may blunt my resolve... a tad.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I second that, @DaltonCraig007.
    No matter how important a Bond film is to me, I will not risk infecting my parents, my students and colleagues, my fiance or myself. It's "only" a movie and nowadays, we don't have to wait a full year for a BR release anymore. I will respectfully decline any offer to see the film as long as the virus is among us. Only some incredibly optimistic infection numbers and an empty theatre may blunt my resolve... a tad.

Yeah, I think it's a risk assessment every one of us should make for themselves. Taking into account your local corona numbers, the safety precautions taken by your local movie theater, your personal feelings, contacts you had or will have with family members who are more at risk, your own health situation of course... All these factors together decide if you as an individual will go to the cinema to see a film. And maybe added to that is the film itself, what lengths are you as a fan willing to go to, to see a Bond film, or a DC film (with Wonder Woman 1984 coming up) or a Nolan film?

I can only speak for myself, but I went and saw Tenet this Friday here in Belgium, and I felt pretty safe. I was aware of the risks (you're still coming into contact with other people, sometimes people want to pass and there's absolutely no social distance, masks get taken off because people are eating popcorn and they don't bother to put them back on), but at the same time, there weren't many people in the theater, we were pretty spaced out, I kept my distance as good as I could, used hand sanitiser, wore a mask for the entire runtime...
    But as I said: it's a risk assessment. For some people the risks outweigh the precautions, and I don't think any Bond fan should feel obliged to watch NTTD in cinemas in November if they don't feel comfortable, just 'because' you're a Bond fan. Nor should other fans call out people who do not want to see the film in these conditions, it doesn't make them 'lesser fans'.

If the situation stays the same, I think I will see NTTD on release in cinemas. But that's what I feel now, based on seeing that trailer on the big screen and getting a very emotional reaction from it. Come November, I'll have to make that risk assessment all over again, and I might feel very different.