NTTD & Corona

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Well, I'm not anti-vaccine, obviously, but in this particular case, I'll happily refuse as long as no serious clinical tests have been performed.

If you think that is a Russian phenomenon, think again.

What do you mean, @Thunderfinger?

You think American vaccines are safe?

I wasn't commenting on the fact that these vaccines are Russian or not, but on the fact that they aren't sufficiently tested yet, @Thunderfinger.

As for American vaccines, I don't care if they are American or not. What I care about is: have they passed all the required tests? Nothing else matters.

I understand. It wasn t aimed at you in particular, but the board in general. Sorry if it came across otherwise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, my issue wouldn't be with where a vaccine originated but whether or not it properly went through all phased clinical trials or not. Russia bypassing major steps and processes during theirs immediately ensured the U.S. (and other countries) would want nothing to do with it.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Yes, my issue wouldn't be with where a vaccine originated but whether or not it properly went through all phased clinical trials or not. Russia bypassing major steps and processes during theirs immediately ensured the U.S. (and other countries) would want nothing to do with it.

I heard that brazil might be interested.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That is a new policy, then. But glad to hear it.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 12,837
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    An independent cinema owner was being interviewed on todays Film Programme on radio 4 and Mulan came up in the conversation. This was recorded at the point at which Disney had pulled its August release.This guy has done everything required to ensure his cinema is covid safe and taken the gamble to open up to the public. He was incredibly upset at Disney's decision to not release Mulan. His point was that studios need to be supporting cinemas by giving them product but by bypassing theatrical releases they are leaving cinemas to struggle. The despair in his voice was palpable, so i can understand why cinema managers and owners are furious with Disney.

As much as it sucks for their business, it’s honestly an abysmal time to have people together gather in a closed room and risk further spreading the virus. Same with schools. China had reopened and closed several times due to sudden spikes.

I’m actually more upset that Disney reopened their parks in Florida.

To be fair, I don’t think they’d have been as annoyed if Disney hadn’t made the decision so late in the game. They’ve basically given them free advertising haven’t they (hence the ripped up poster).

If Bond is going that way then it’d be nice for the cinemas if they could decide further in advance, so they know what they’re doing. But I guess things could change quickly is the issue.

Just a crap situation all round. If things are how they are now in the UK, then I’m hoping they just do what Tenet is doing and go for a staggered release, so I can watch it at the cinema. But if things have gotten worse again, then I hope they just sell it to a streaming service or release it VOD. I just want to see the film in November basically. If the cinema is a possibility then great, but if not, then I’ll take watching it at home.

I think they’d rather just keep pushing it back than do that though.
    The horror film Antebellum will go straight to VOD on September 18th. The film was scheduled for a wide theatrical release in August.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/antebellum-janelle-monae-pvod-1234727898/

Cool. I’d completely forgot about this, but I really wanted to see it when I saw the trailer a few months ago.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Not unexpected (I received an e-mail from the American Museum of National History last week to this effect), but most welcomed. Note, however, that this new order does not apply to movie theaters or music venues in New York City.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/arts/design/nyc-museums-reopening-virus.html

Museums and other cultural institutions will be allowed to open in New York City starting on Aug. 24, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said on Friday, following five months of a pandemic shutdown that has resulted in substantial layoffs and financial crises for many of these organizations.

Institutions will be required to keep the buildings at 25 percent occupancy and to use a timed ticketing system, which would allow museums to carefully regulate how many people are entering at once.
    ….
    The state also will require museums to control the flow of traffic through their buildings, and face coverings will be compulsory.

At this rate it is “possible” that movie theaters could re-open in NYC by the time NTTD is scheduled to be released. Whether it makes economic sense for EON to release it – given only partial capacity will be allowed – is the question. I think AMC is planning to re-open some theaters later this month in those locations where they have the approval to do so.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    At this rate it is “possible” that movie theaters could re-open in NYC by the time NTTD is scheduled to be released. Whether it makes economic sense for EON to release it – given only partial capacity will be allowed – is the question.

Cinemas working at full capacity won't be possible for several years.

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    At this rate it is “possible” that movie theaters could re-open in NYC by the time NTTD is scheduled to be released. Whether it makes economic sense for EON to release it – given only partial capacity will be allowed – is the question.

For blockbuster films, it isn't even necessary. If theaters can only be 50% full, then they'll show the film on more screens.

If NTTD manages to play in theaters in November, it likely won't have much competition.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    edited August 2020 Posts: 524
    Something I found interesting:
    Those Funko Pops, love ‘em or hate ‘em, but my first gut feeling was that because Funko and the official 007 accounts unveiled these now, they are kinda sticking to the November release date for now. Otherwise, why reveal them, why not wait until later? They were spotted on retailer websites for months now, and I believe were ready for an April 2020 release. So the fact that the NTTD Funkos are revealed now means that they’re going ahead with the November date, right?
    Well, not if MI6-HQ is believed. A fellow Bond fan made the same observation as I did, and they replied with this tweet:

Do they know more? They have the connections… Or is this yet another attempt to publicly ask for another delay? Do they really know, or are they pretending they know? Are the Funko Pops ‘proof’ of any kind? Are we going mad?

Questions, questions…
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    TripAces wrote: »

For blockbuster films, it isn't even necessary. If theaters can only be 50% full, then they'll show the film on more screens.

Yeah, I don't think EON are even considering the full capacity cinemas option at this point.

• Something I found interesting:
    Those Funko Pops, love ‘em or hate ‘em, but my first gut feeling was that because Funko and the official 007 accounts unveiled these now, they are kinda sticking to the November release date for now. Otherwise, why reveal them, why not wait until later? They were spotted on retailer websites for months now, and I believe were ready for an April 2020 release. So the fact that the NTTD Funkos are revealed now means that they’re going ahead with the November date, right?
    Well, not if MI6-HQ is believed. A fellow Bond fan made the same observation as I did, and they replied with this tweet:

Do they know more? They have the connections… Or is this yet another attempt to publicly ask for another delay? Do they really know, or are they pretending they know? Are the Funko Pops ‘proof’ of any kind? Are we going mad?

Questions, questions…

Well according to them the scene where Bond goes to Vesper's grave is some kind of 'wtf' moment, they have been highly negative about this film from the start and woe to you if you disagree with them! Being listening to the James Bond and Friends watchalongs, they are very woke! They just bitch about how 'problematic' Bond is you wonder why they like the films at all, it's quite odd actually.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Questions, questions…

Well according to them the scene where Bond goes to Vesper's grave is some kind of 'wtf' moment, they have been highly negative about this film from the start and woe to you if you disagree with them! Being listening to the James Bond and Friends watchalongs, they are very woke! They just bitch about how 'problematic' Bond is you wonder why they like the films at all, it's quite odd actually.

You must have missed the very critical point that was made on that podcast many many times: Acknowledging “problematic” elements doesn’t mean they don’t like the films. You can still be a fan of something and criticize it as much as you praise it. They obviously love James Bond, otherwise they wouldn’t dedicate so much of their professions onto it so much.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 2,436

Questions, questions…

You must have missed the very critical point that was made on that podcast many many times: Acknowledging “problematic” elements doesn’t mean they don’t like the films. You can still be a fan of something and criticize it as much as you praise it. They obviously love James Bond, otherwise they wouldn’t dedicate so much of their professions onto it so much.

I agree, and listened to it for that very reason, but they really have problems with them. I have greatly enjoyed them too, love all the nuggets from draft scripts that Bill brings. Watched quite a number of them. The Skyfall one was a bit much and has led me to want to have a break from them for awhile. Yes there are problematic aspects about Bond, he is a problematic character - that's what makes a character interesting! Do I advocate sexism? Absoloutely not. Do I have a problem with a character who has a flaw which is sexism? Absolutely not, I don't want a main character to be a perfect saint.
    My recollection of their SF watch was that they didn’t have a problem with Bond’s sexism specifically but rather the way the film treated its characters. That’s the real difference right there. Like how right after Severine gets killed the scene ends on a triumphant note with the Bond theme blaring and such, which doesn’t really ring true. I think that’s a pretty valid point to make.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 2,436
    My recollection of their SF watch was that they didn’t have a problem with Bond’s sexism specifically but rather the way the film treated its characters. That’s the real difference right there. Like how right after Severine gets killed the scene ends on a triumphant note with the Bond theme blaring and such, which doesn’t really ring true. I think that’s a pretty valid point to make.

Yeah I completely agreed with that point on Severine's death. I don't really have a problem with their approach just that, particularly on the Skyfall one, it became a bit overwhelming - to the point where I wanted to take a break from listening to them. I guess I just prefer it when the discussion is in the mechanics of the film-making itself - plotting, character etc.

They just come across as left-wing liberals who can't accept other people's opinions. I may be wrong and judging them unfairly. But they did block me from their Twitter account for merely disagreeing with them. They seem to get a bit sensitive when you disagree with them. This was the case I believe when people took a different opinion, like Joe Darlington, to their open letter about delaying NTTD. I also find it interesting, with the exception of Calvin Dyson, that none of them have been involved with David Zaritsky of the Bond Experience's collaborations with other Bond 'influencers', vloggers etc.
    I don’t interact with “influencers” on social media. And I HAAAATE Twitter.
  • I don’t interact with “influencers” on social media. And I HAAAATE Twitter.

Fair dos. David Zaristsky's day long Bond events have been awesome. Anyway we have strayed from the remit of this thread!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I would have really liked it, if some of Craig's women had expanded roles. Especially Solange, Severine and Lucia. I've always felt that if Bellucci's role was expanded, the film would have been a lot more interesting....make her an enigmatic widow or something like that.

These somewhat Bipolar women would have added a lot, but ended up with cameos....and there's already a feeling that that would be the case with Paloma in NTTD, although Nomi and Madeleine would be given a lot to do....so that's comforting.
  • GadgetMan wrote: »
    I would have really liked it, if some of Craig's women had expanded roles. Especially Solange, Severine and Lucia. I've always felt that if Bellucci's role was expanded, the film would have been a lot more interesting....make her an enigmatic widow or something like that.

These somewhat Bipolar women would have added a lot, but ended up with cameos....and there's already a feeling that that would be the case with Paloma in NTTD, although Nomi and Madeleine would be given a lot to do....so that's comforting.

Agree GadgetMan. I've already led this thread too far away from NTTD & Corona, there is a separate thread for the women of NTTD.
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Agree GadgetMan. I've already led this thread too far away from NTTD & Corona, there is a separate thread for the women of NTTD.

Yeah, @BonSimonLeBon_1....nothing expansive from me though.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited August 2020 Posts: 1,261
    Our local cinema has started ticket sales for TENET, which is set to open next Wednesday, Aug 26. Let's see, whether or not this date will stand. I plan to watch the movie, let's see, whether this will be possible or not.
    Keep in mind, when it comes to merch, WW84 has already had it out for months now, and MAYBE that movie is coming out in November (we may hear more on Saturday at DC FanDome). It doesn't surprise me that NTTD Funkos are coming out now. They can't stay in a warehouse forever.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2020 Posts: 2,353

Good news for some americans only if it works.

Pfizer’s contract with the U.S. government to supply 100 million doses later this year. “For Pfizer’s vaccine specifically, it’s a two-shot series. So that’s 50 million people that they potentially cover later this year into early next year,
    edited August 2020 Posts: 4,247

Good news for some americans only if it works.

Pfizer’s contract with the U.S. government to supply 100 million doses later this year. “For Pfizer’s vaccine specifically, it’s a two-shot series. So that’s 50 million people that they potentially cover later this year into early next year,

Yeah, the thought alone that a vaccine is on the way, is encouraging even if it doesn't go round immediately.....at least, hope for the next human is uplifting and knowing that the virus might not be invincible anymore, is a huge psychological boost.
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 389
    Hi all been away from here a while.

Just reading through the thread and have a few things to say,

(1) EON missed a massive financial opportunity when the majority of the world was in lock down, a release to PVOD back in March would have netted them a substantial return without any question, most likely as great as a normal world wide release.
    (2) The proposed cinema release of NTTD in November will bomb, no one I know is even considering going to a movie theatre until there is wide sprend vacination program, so they delay again and again and again, until the vast majority can no longer be bothered, with the prospect that it becomes the last ever bond movie, Sad.
    (3) With regards to a vaccine, to put this into perspective, early on with Covid I remember watching a well repected virologist on the BBC saying that a vaccine is in no way a sure thing, they had been working on one for HIV for the past 40 Years without success and that the primary problem with Covid 19 as with HIV was it's ability to mutate, so what was required was the holly grail of vaccines one that gives protection against all probable mutation now or in the future, which in his opinion may not be achievable. Personally hope he's wrong.
    (4) TENET will show the way, if Disney haven't already with Mulan, IMHO TENET will open in selected theatres just to get word of mouth going, but will end up on VOD within a month.
    (5) The Problem the Studio's have is that they're sitting on multi-millions of investment with a very limited income stream, we've all seen the trade press announcing mass lay off's. The question is how long can they keep going without their normal turnover, they are after all Businesses. I personally believe there are only so many times you can watch old movies, no matter how good, even CR or GF. Regard to the majority of new content being released on streaming platforms (:|, I'm reminded of the 80's, a straight to video movie, picked from the video store on a wet thursday evening to go with your beer and take away, only to think afterwards "That's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back".

In conclusion, these are unprecedented circumstance that are with us for the forseable future, Businesses like entertainment will have to accept and adapt to the changing scenario, Anthony Liccoine a poet said “They say, timing is everything. But then they say, there is never a perfect time for anything", so stay safe and carry on as best you can.
  • Hi all been away from here a while.

(1) EON missed a massive financial opportunity when the majority of the world was in lock down, a release to PVOD back in March would have netted them a substantial return without any question, most likely as great as a normal world wide release.
    (2) The proposed cinema release of NTTD in November will bomb, no one I know is even considering going to a movie theatre until there is wide sprend vacination program, so they delay again and again and again, until the vast majority can no longer be bothered, with the prospect that it becomes the last ever bond movie, Sad.
    (3) With regards to a vaccine, to put this into perspective, early on with Covid I remember watching a well repected virologist on the BBC saying that a vaccine is in no way a sure thing, they had been working on one for HIV for the past 40 Years without success and that the primary problem with Covid 19 as with HIV was it's ability to mutate, so what was required was the holly grail of vaccines one that gives protection against all probable mutation now or in the future, which in his opinion may not be achievable. Personally hope he's wrong.
    (4) TENET will show the way, if Disney haven't already with Mulan, IMHO TENET will open in selected theatres just to get word of mouth going, but will end up on VOD within a month.
    (5) The Problem the Studio's have is that they're sitting on multi-millions of investment with a very limited income stream, we've all seen the trade press announcing mass lay off's. The question is how long can they keep going without their normal turnover, they are after all Businesses. I personally believe there are only so many times you can watch old movies, no matter how good, even CR or GF. Regard to the majority of new content being released on streaming platforms (:|, I'm reminded of the 80's, a straight to video movie, picked from the video store on a wet thursday evening to go with your beer and take away, only to think afterwards "That's an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back".

In conclusion, these are unprecedented circumstance that are with us for the forseable future, Businesses like entertainment will have to accept and adapt to the changing scenario, Anthony Liccoine a poet said “They say, timing is everything. But then they say, there is never a perfect time for anything", so stay safe and carry on as best you can.

I know plenty of people who can't wait to go to the cinema again.
    Hi all been away from here a while.

I have my ticket for Tenet booked for Friday August 28.