Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

Bad talking DAD, Trump or Johnson is so easy and righteous that they're thread killers every time. It's like bringing up the devil during a sermon. This coming from an atheist ;)
    Univex wrote: »
    Bad talking DAD, Trump or Johnson is so easy and righteous that they're thread killers every time. It's like bringing up the devil during a sermon. This coming from an atheist ;)

Hah, I didn't even notice this was the corona virus thread when typing!
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    Univex wrote: »

Hah, I didn't even notice this was the corona virus thread when typing!

Neither did I...
    With the small footnote that new infections have been dwindling and that restrictions will be back in place if the infection rate is higher than r=1, meaning a sick person on average infects more than one other person. Compared to the US where the infection rate is hardly slowing, rather than just not increasing that much anymore.

Hardly slowing? In New York State -- where the majority of the deaths have occurred -- the infection rate is actually down to 0.8%, a good sign. The challenge is to keep it below outbreak status (1.1%).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    With the small footnote that new infections have been dwindling and that restrictions will be back in place if the infection rate is higher than r=1, meaning a sick person on average infects more than one other person. Compared to the US where the infection rate is hardly slowing, rather than just not increasing that much anymore.

Hardly slowing? In New York State -- where the majority of the deaths have occurred -- the infection rate is actually down to 0.8%, a good sign. The challenge is to keep it below outbreak status (1.1%).

New York's death-toll is currently at 21,045, out of 78,762 total casualties in the US. So only 26.7% of the US deaths have occurred in New York.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Gerard wrote: »

And, sadly, this was the French département that was the least hit by coronavirus. And this happens 2 days before the lockdown starts to get lifted.
    New York's death-toll is currently at 21,045, out of 78,762 total casualties in the US. So only 26.7% of the US deaths have occurred in New York.

You're right, my mistake.

New York is, however, the state that is seeing the highest number of deaths by a wide margin. And factoring in New Jersey, part of the New York Tri-State area, the number is closer to 30,000.
    I expect as with any lifting of a lockdown that a new hotzone will have everybody running for lockdown again, in any developed nation that is.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,983
    First, I am not presenting myself as an expert or drawing any conclusions; I’m only presenting my personal experience an offering information for individual evaluation.

I am a professional Firefighter with 27 years on the job. For numerous reasons medical first response is now the majority of what we do; naturally with the current situation we are at a greater risks of exposure.

With that said, today I took an antibody test; my results were negative on both counts. That means that I do not , at this time have the virus, and that I have never had it.

My other crew members also took the test, all of them tested positive for the antibodies, meaning that all of them , at some point, had the virus.

We have a small Engine House; we live and function in close quarters. How could all of them test positive and me negative?

Again, I am not presenting this as fact or advice, simply speculation.

For decades prior to this virus, I have been very health oriented; daily, I take a significant amount of vitamins and supplements, including vitamins C and D3.
    More and more evidence is coming in that these two play a large role in bolstering one’s immunity, particularly D3.
    Long, long, long before this virus reared it’s ugly head, I’ve been taking 5000iu of Vitamin D3 a day. Has it shielded me? Who know, but has it hurt? Not at all.
    Food for thought.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/scitechdaily.com/vitamin-d-linked-to-low-coronavirus-death-rate/amp/

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    talos7 wrote: »
    First, I am not presenting myself as an expert or drawing any conclusions; I’m only presenting my personal experience an offering information for individual evaluation.

I am a professional Firefighter with 27 years on the job. For numerous reasons medical first response is now the majority of what we do; naturally with the current situation we are at a greater risks of exposure.

With that said, today I took an antibody test; my results were negative on both counts. That means that I do not , at this time have the virus, and that I have never had it.

My other crew members also took the test, all of them tested positive for the antibodies, meaning that all of them , at some point, had the virus.

We have a small Engine House; we live and function in close quarters. How could all of them test positive and me negative?

Again, I am not presenting this as fact or advice, simply speculation.

For decades prior to this virus, I have been very health oriented; daily, I take a significant amount of vitamins and supplements, including vitamins C and D3.
    More and more evidence is coming in that these two play a large role in bolstering one’s immunity, particularly D3.
    Long, long, long before this virus reared it’s ugly head, I’ve been taking 5000iu of Vitamin D3 a day. Has it shielded me? Who know, but has it hurt? Not at all.
    Food for thought.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/scitechdaily.com/vitamin-d-linked-to-low-coronavirus-death-rate/amp/

That makes a lot of sense, I run and cycle and exercise usually cardio at present (I have a gym at home) I have taken Vitamins A, B12, C, D3, Zinc amongst other suppliments and also booster tonic for years and rarely get ill.

I was saying to a colleague the other day many people I have worked with over the years can be coughing spluttering with flu symptoms and I never show any symptoms at all despite working in close proximity.

I was ordered by work to self isolate for very mild symptoms before Lockdown started in England. In other circumstances I would not even have paid attention to the mild symptoms and worked it off, in isolation I just used my spinning bike to keep active.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited May 2020 Posts: 17,691
    I seem to catch every virus that comes along. Flu, cold, whathaveyou. Had pneumonia twice. Chicken Pox recently (LOL). Beat everything easily every time, in record time. I take vitamins, eat no dead mammals & do gung fu.
    But this s**t scares me.
    Not for myself, but for those I love.
    No one here gets out alive, but many here will go sooner than necessary...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Being responsible for ensuring the safety of others changes things dramatically, it certainly makes me more determined to protect myself and take every precaution, all we can do is minimise risk as much as we can, then those we are protecting are a little bit safer.

@chrisisall I remember vividly having Chickenpox as a kid, I did the one thing you are not supposed to, I still have the scars lol If I recall Chickenpox is alot more severe when you are an adult?
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
    210,000 deaths reached on April 26th (2 days later).
    220,000 deaths reached on April 28th (2 days later).
    230,000 deaths reached on April 30th (2 days later).
    240,000 deaths reached on May 2nd (2 days later).
    250,000 deaths reached on May 4th (2 days later).
    260,000 deaths reached on May 6th (2 days later).
    270,000 deaths reached on May 7th (1 day later).
    280,000 deaths reached on May 9th (2 days later).
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,469
    I'm really glad we here in the U.S. are gradually getting back to normal. Just in the last few days, two counties here in the L.A. area have lifted some health orders, saying people don't have to wear masks anymore--thank God--I only wear one when I'm ordered to and not when I'm walking outside or jogging. It seems people in Asia don't mind wearing them, but I think they're un-American. Also glad some beaches here have reopened, but we need to reopen all of them.

I think officials and people in general need to get over their fear and reopen, go back to normal. Yes, definitely protect the elderly and those most at risk. For all of us, social distancing and washing hands. I also really admire the protesters here in the U.S. and in other countries. Health experts and government officials have their place. But they do not always know better than "We the people" about how to live, and we will fight for our freedom. We don't always need government telling us what to do. Government is supposed to work for us, the people. And it's my opinion that some of these politicians are using the crisis for their advantage and their ego trips.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    It’s health officials jobs to know more than “we the people”.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    I'm really glad we here in the U.S. are gradually getting back to normal. Just in the last few days, two counties here in the L.A. area have lifted some health orders, saying people don't have to wear masks anymore--thank God--I only wear one when I'm ordered to and not when I'm walking outside or jogging. It seems people in Asia don't mind wearing them, but I think they're un-American. Also glad some beaches here have reopened, but we need to reopen all of them.

I think officials and people in general need to get over their fear and reopen, go back to normal. Yes, definitely protect the elderly and those most at risk. For all of us, social distancing and washing hands. I also really admire the protesters here in the U.S. and in other countries. Health experts and government officials have their place. But they do not always know better than "We the people" about how to live, and we will fight for our freedom. We don't always need government telling us what to do. Government is supposed to work for us, the people. And it's my opinion that some of these politicians are using the crisis for their advantage and their ego trips.

Wow. Just wow.
    Wow. Just wow.
    Liberals often say that. Why don't you state your objections.

Wow. Just wow.

I'm far from a `liberal'. But some of your comments beggars belief. Face masks very `un-American'. That sounds like a perfectly good reason not to wear them then, eh?

You have the highest death rate on the planet, and soaring rapidly each day. Your healthcare system is a joke, and you have a clown President that tells people to inject themselves with bleach and so they do it, following him blindly.

When morons like that exist on the planet, then I'm afraid certain people do need governments to tell them what to do, just not the US government.

Germany and New Zealand are prime examples of how to defeat this virus and re-open again safely. The US and the UK are prime examples of how not to tackle this virus, which is why we have 2 of the highest death tolls. The US opening up again, pretending this will all go away is plain crazy.

The UK is about to go into a second phase, but most of us here recognise lockdown measures are here to stay for the foreseeable future - flight, travel, restaurants, etc. until there is a vaccine.

The US could be on the verge of a President causing mass murder to its own people on a scale never before seen. Good luck, at least you are not being a liberal, and `un-American'. Freedom is more important than anything else, including saving lives, right?
    Not surprising that face masks are un-American when proper healthcare is also considered un-American.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Wow. Just wow.

I'm far from a `liberal'. But some of your comments beggars belief. Face masks very `un-American'. That sounds like a perfectly good reason not to wear them then, eh?

You have the highest death rate on the planet, and soaring rapidly each day. Your healthcare system is a joke, and you have a clown President that tells people to inject themselves with bleach and so they do it, following him blindly.

When morons like that exist on the planet, then I'm afraid certain people do need governments to tell them what to do, just not the US government.

Germany and New Zealand are prime examples of how to defeat this virus and re-open again safely. The US and the UK are prime examples of how not to tackle this virus, which is why we have 2 of the highest death tolls. The US opening up again, pretending this will all go away is plain crazy.

The UK is about to go into a second phase, but most of us here recognise lockdown measures are here to stay for the foreseeable future - flight, travel, restaurants, etc. until there is a vaccine.

The US could be on the verge of a President causing mass murder to its own people on a scale never before seen. Good luck, at least you are not being a liberal, and `un-American'. Freedom is more important than anything else, including saving lives, right?

+1, Couldn’t have said it better. What’s New Hampshires slogan? Live Free or Die?
    Wow. Just wow.

+1, Couldn’t have said it better. What’s New Hampshires slogan? Live Free or Die?

The US attitude and behaviour has become the equivalent to Murray Hilton's Mayor in Jaws - `those beaches WILL be open!'
    Gerard wrote: »

Like I said earlier, both the UK and the US have become prime examples of how NOT to deal with this virus, both having the highest death rates, and both being led by clowns.
    South Korea has ordered the closure of all nightclubs, discos and hostess bars in the capital as fears of a second wave of the pandemic escalate after a rapid spike in new infections.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-09/south-korea-faces-new-flare-up-in-virus-cases-tied-to-nightclubs
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 1,469
    Wrong, the U.S. doesn't have the highest death rate from Covid-19. Our confirmed case fatality rate is 6%, but Belgium, France and the U.K. are each up at about 15%. Obviously the death of any individual is tragic and extremely sad, let alone so many. And Trump did not tell people to inject themselves with bleach. He asked a question out loud that he probably shouldn't have, first mentioning ultraviolet light and disinfectant and then asking the question, "And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning". If someone drinks bleach, that person is an idiot, and it's their fault, not Trump's. By the way, Trump doesn't have anything to do with our protests to get back to normal. A good percentage of Americans themselves are fed up with the lockdowns, they know their liberty is being trodden on, and they don't need any help from anyone else in speaking out.

So it is good news that the U.S. is slowly reopening for business! Spain, Iran, Italy, Denmark, Israel, and Germany are also beginning to lift lockdown measures. Sweden is apparently just weeks away from herd immunity. Most people don't die from this, and most people who get it have only mild symptoms and then recover. There've been several recent studies suggesting that the fatality rate is actually only about 1%, at least in the U.S. That's because medical researchers theorize that a lot more people have already been infected than have been tested and that the official numbers show, and if you factor that in, the fatality rate drops substantially. That may vary from country to country. And perhaps we'll see it proven out with more testing.

Facts: The curve has been flattened in a lot of places so hospitals are not overrun. A vaccine may be a year away. We have social distancing, hand washing, and masks for those who like them or if they're ordered, and testing is increasing. Why should we all hide in our homes? I don't plan to. We can get back to normal, safely. Life is full of risks! Have courage. People can cower at home, or they can have courage and go back to living life.

One other thought. To save more lives, we could also lower the speed limit everywhere to 25 or 35 miles an hour, even on all highways! Think of all the lives we could save by doing that! Wouldn't that be wonderful? But that would be dumb. The same type of backward thinking is going on now by people who're preventing reopenings and who refuse to accept the risks that come with living life as it is meant to be lived.
    So it is good news that the U.S. is slowly reopening for business! Spain, Iran, Italy, Denmark, Israel, and Germany are also beginning to lift lockdown measures.

Of those 6 countries, Iran is already heading towards a second lockdown. New infections have spiraled out of control since May 7th, 3 weeks after they lifted their restrictions.

As I posted above, South Korea has begun reinstating restrictions as new infections are on the verge of going out of control. The same South Korea that is one of the least hit major countries on the planet. And they may be about to be one of the first to witness a second wave. If they get overrun, what chance do we have, given the absolutely appalling political response in Europe and North America compared to them?
    So it is good news that the U.S. is slowly reopening for business! Spain, Iran, Italy, Denmark, Israel, and Germany are also beginning to lift lockdown measures.

Of those 6 countries, Iran is already heading towards a second lockdown. New infections have spiraled out of control since May 7th, 3 weeks after they lifted their restrictions.

As I posted above, South Korea has begun reinstating restrictions as new infections are on the verge of going out of control. The same South Korea that is one of the least hit major countries on the planet. And they may be about to be one of the first to witness a second wave. If they get overrun, what chance do we have, given the absolutely appalling political response in Europe and North America compared to them?

Second lockdowns are looking more likely even at this early stage.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 3,279
    Why should we all hide in our homes? I don't plan to. We can get back to normal, safely. Life is full of risks! Have courage. People can cower at home, or they can have courage and go back to living life.

The same type of backward thinking is going on now by people who're preventing reopenings and who refuse to accept the risks that come with living life as it is meant to be lived.

I think one thing is for certain, whether you agree with lockdowns or not. Normal life is not going to return any time soon for the planet, no matter which country you live in. Not until there is a vaccine or medication to stop this. Social distancing is here to stay for the time being, with restrictions remaining for airports, flights, bars, restaurants, hotels, etc.

Live sports stadiums for crowds and cinemas won't be opening any time soon either.

So keep dreaming of normal life as you once knew it, because it won't be returning any time soon. The closest you'll get to your wishes is people flocking to the beaches, which will at least keep the Mayor of Amity happy, along with yourself.

Even the countries you mentioned who have come out of lockdown are either now planning on going back into lockdown, or are opening with extreme caution, and still heavily in a form of lockdown in all but name.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Why should we all hide in our homes? I don't plan to. We can get back to normal, safely. Life is full of risks! Have courage. People can cower at home, or they can have courage and go back to living life.

The same type of backward thinking is going on now by people who're preventing reopenings and who refuse to accept the risks that come with living life as it is meant to be lived.

I think one thing is for certain, whether you agree with lockdowns or not. Normal life is not going to return any time soon for the planet, no matter which country you live in. Not until there is a vaccine or medication to stop this. Social distancing is here to stay for the time being, with restrictions remaining for airports, flights, bars, restaurants, hotels, etc.

Live sports stadiums for crowds and cinemas won't be opening any time soon either.

So keep dreaming of normal life as you once knew it, because it won't be returning any time soon. The closest you'll get to your wishes is people flocking to the beaches, which will at least keep the Mayor of Amity happy, along with yourself.

Even the countries you mentioned who have come out of lockdown are either now planning on going back into lockdown, or are opening with extreme caution, and still heavily in a form of lockdown in all but name.

You're absolutely correct, @jetsetwilly.

I guess the "American" way to deal with the virus is buy guns and shoot it. ;-)