Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,247
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Wikipedia is our friend. You can find lots of references to balm from Gilead in the Bible and Wikipedia will tell you about them if you look. For me, though, the first reference I ever remember hearing about B from G is from "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe: ' "Is there—is there balm in Gilead?—tell me—tell me, I implore!" Quoth the Raven "Nevermore." ' I use the quote in this context because the drug described here is the product of a company called Gilead Sciences.

Oh, Ok....nice. Yeah, i do know Edgar Allen Poe's literary prowess & know he's very influential. But i don't binge on his work often though......it seems the Rock Band Queen got the title of their song 'Nevermore' from him. Coz there's a Queen's song titled 'Nevermore'.

Once this Pandemic is over....and soon it will. Am going to play Queen's 'We are the Champions'....as loud as I can.

Maybe am a bit Hyper-Optimistic....but even a bit of Euphoria isn't bad these days.
    Some cinemas in Norway will reopen from 8 May, with a maximum of 50 audiences at each screening. First out is Ringen Kino in Oslo, then the following weekend, eleven cinemas across the country will also open.

All of these cinemas are part of Nordisk Film Kino, which means that other cinemas are yet to open.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I also want to thank @chrisisall.
    Thanks man, but really, it's all relative. I live in a medium-sized town in Massachusetts, not NYC. The supermarket people THERE are facing the most in-your-face viral threats.
    And now we have Pence trying to strong-arm a reporter for reporting on his lack of mask-wearing at his Mayo clinic visit. Intimidate the truth-tellers during a deadly pandemic- not your best strategy. It promotes more denial & drives up the infection rate...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    With 2,909 deaths on Friday, the US has recorded its deadliest day for coronavirus patients as states reopen.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/02/who-us-just-reported-deadliest-day-for-coronavirus.html
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    There will be no 'new normal'. The 1,5m society is utter nonsense, it goes against human nature. As soon as there's a vaccine, it will be just like any other treatable desease. Let's say 1 in 10000 will still fall ill, will be treated and a very low percentage will sadly pass away.

While I'm not pushing any particular version of the future, it seems optimistic in the extreme to think that everything is just going to resume its 2019 shape "as soon as there's a vaccine." For one thing, a vaccine isn't likely to be created for at least a year, perhaps longer. I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict that shaking hands upon meeting someone new is probably going to go out of fashion for the next decade or so...

Oh don't get me wrong, it's not my personal wish, but as a historian I get weary of these 'new normal' messages. As @DarthDimi pointed out, humans are way too social creatures to let any lesson be properly learned. It isn't the first pandemic (and by far the worst) and it won't be the last. The question is: will we at least learn for the first few months. For what I see in my country, where restrictions are slowly lifted, the answer will be no and I expect a spike in two weeks. For the US it's going to be far worse. But it wil not compare to some muslim countries where they prefer to celebrate ramadan all together believing that (their) god wil save them.

Even @DarthDimi still hopes (ever the optimist) that we'll learn from the experience. I don't believe we will.

@DarthDimi you're also forgetting one very important reason for kids going to school: so parents can (go to) work. Sorry my friend,

Will working from home be more accepted? Maybe a bit, but speaking from (now a couple of weeks) experience, things are just done quicker and more efficient when people can walk towards eachother and solve problems.
    Being a postman it is quite eye opening how many things you actually touch during a working shift. All I do is stay calm, think positive, sanitise and wash hands, wear the PPE and not touch the face. Reason I do is their are quite a lot of elderly people who are alone with no access to social media.....etc. That friendly face means the world to them.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    There will be no 'new normal'. The 1,5m society is utter nonsense, it goes against human nature. As soon as there's a vaccine, it will be just like any other treatable desease. Let's say 1 in 10000 will still fall ill, will be treated and a very low percentage will sadly pass away.

While I'm not pushing any particular version of the future, it seems optimistic in the extreme to think that everything is just going to resume its 2019 shape "as soon as there's a vaccine." For one thing, a vaccine isn't likely to be created for at least a year, perhaps longer. I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict that shaking hands upon meeting someone new is probably going to go out of fashion for the next decade or so...

Oh don't get me wrong, it's not my personal wish, but as a historian I get weary of these 'new normal' messages. As @DarthDimi pointed out, humans are way too social creatures to let any lesson be properly learned. It isn't the first pandemic (and by far the worst) and it won't be the last. The question is: will we at least learn for the first few months. For what I see in my country, where restrictions are slowly lifted, the answer will be no and I expect a spike in two weeks. For the US it's going to be far worse. But it wil not compare to some muslim countries where they prefer to celebrate ramadan all together believing that (their) god wil save them.

Even @DarthDimi still hopes (ever the optimist) that we'll learn from the experience. I don't believe we will.

@DarthDimi you're also forgetting one very important reason for kids going to school: so parents can (go to) work. Sorry my friend,

Will working from home be more accepted? Maybe a bit, but speaking from (now a couple of weeks) experience, things are just done quicker and more efficient when people can walk towards eachother and solve problems.

@CommanderRoss
    I certainly cannot disagree with you. Parents having to go to work is a big reason to get kids back to school. I was mainly speaking from personal experience, in which case those kids are 15-18 and most of them are perfectly capable of staying home unsupervised. "Most" of them... ;)

Regarding the new normal, I fully agree. Old habits simply die too hard. I remember when the "don't shake hands" rule was broadcast with loud drama for the first time and I was still meeting people professionally because we hadn't gone full lockdown yet, hands were still being shaken; many folks were deliberately ignoring the new rules. I bet now things are a tad different than back in early March when the accepted truth was still that the elders were the only truly vulnerable people and whatnot, but it shows that our social behaviour isn't just switched from '12' to '4' overnight. Most of us have respected the social distancing rules during the lockdown, but only because we knew how important they were and because we knew things to be temporary... At some point, we will return to old ways, as well as we can. New cases of infection will be ignored (until they start peaking again) and our social habits will simply resurface. We haven't suddenly become a new species.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,369
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Being a postman it is quite eye opening how many things you actually touch during a working shift. All I do is stay calm, think positive, sanitise and wash hands, wear the PPE and not touch the face. Reason I do is their are quite a lot of elderly people who are alone with no access to social media.....etc. That friendly face means the world to them.

In my job role we are cleaning every few hours and I anti bac after I have touched anything. Are you required to wear masks on your round. Been wearing masks a few weeks as required to at all times, though we do all these things to protect others, keep up the good work mate.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Completely agree.

In my job role we are cleaning every few hours and I anti bac after I have touched anything. Are you required to wear masks on your round. Been wearing masks a few weeks as required to at all times, though we do all these things to protect others, keep up the good work mate.

Staff are required to wear masks and gloves indoors, and also some staff deliver in the afternoons now too. Which has been happening for a while now.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Staff are required to wear masks and gloves indoors, and also some staff deliver in the afternoons now too. Which has been happening for a while now.

I was out in the community today, with the good weather noticed alot of people outside and not adhering to government guidelines, on your rounds you must see a lot of that. We are far from being out of the woods and it's a concern that many appear to be maybe a bit too relaxed about the crisis.

I was out in the community today, with the good weather noticed alot of people outside and not adhering to government guidelines, on your rounds you must see a lot of that. We are far from being out of the woods and it's a concern that many appear to be maybe a bit too relaxed about the crisis.

Some days are worse than others. From a work point of view it is currently as busy as Christmas!

Some days are worse than others. From a work point of view it is currently as busy as Christmas!

I can imagine any small items ordered from Amazon or Ebay etc will be passed onto you guys to deliver. Online shopping must have increased ten fold and then some during the crisis.

I can imagine any small items ordered from Amazon or Ebay etc will be passed onto you guys to deliver. Online shopping must have increased ten fold and then some during the crisis.

Your not kidding! We were shown a photo by our union rep a week or two ago? It was of one of our warehouse hubs in the midlands, and I kid you not, it was like the end scene of Raiders of the Lost Arc!!!! Lol! X_X :-t

Your not kidding! We were shown a photo by our union rep a week or two ago? It was of one of our warehouse hubs in the midlands, and I kid you not, it was like the end scene of Raiders of the Lost Arc!!!! Lol! X_X :-t

Even before I read the end of the sentence I knew what you were going to say :))

Even before I read the end of the sentence I knew what you were going to say :))

:)) :-bd

:)) :-bd

Laughter and positive attitude honestly is the best way to combat this, nothing boosts morale better.
    Speaking of laughter, this video is epic :

Gerard wrote: »

Made me laugh, these ladies have got some moves.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Gerard wrote: »

I think we have the "Kill Bill (Billie?)" sequel that we've been asking for! :-)
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 5,809
    Here's a good song for these times we are living right now :

• A security guard at a store in Flint. MI has just been shot to death because he asked a customer to wear a mask before entering the store. https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/wife-says-flint-dollar-store-security-guard-killed-over-face-mask-dispute I don't want to get "political" or anything, but really....isn't this just a little bit crazy?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,695
    ...isn't this just a little bit crazy?
    Your powers of understatement do you credit, Mr. Beatles.

PS: Probably came from drinking too much Flint tap water.
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Probably came from drinking too much Flint tap water.

Thanks for the laugh, Mr. Pepper. (You wouldn't have been a Sgt. in this or a previous life, wouldya?)
    A security guard at a store in Flint. MI has just been shot to death because he asked a customer to wear a mask before entering the store. https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/wife-says-flint-dollar-store-security-guard-killed-over-face-mask-dispute I don't want to get "political" or anything, but really....isn't this just a little bit crazy?

No, Richie, no. It's completely crazy !
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Thanks for the laugh, Mr. Pepper. (You wouldn't have been a Sgt. in this or a previous life, wouldya?)

It was twenty years ago today... (No, I'm afraid it was more than fifty.) But With A Little Help From My Friends, we might still make it. Just Fixing A Hole here. It's Getting Better all the time. And it's only half a year until When I'm Sixty-Four. Feels like just A Day In The Life....

Oh my god...isn't it pathetic that those days are basically over?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

It was twenty years ago today... (No, I'm afraid it was more than fifty.) But With A Little Help From My Friends, we might still make it. Just Fixing A Hole here. It's Getting Better all the time. And it's only half a year until When I'm Sixty-Four. Feels like just A Day In The Life....

Those day's are still very much alive in each of us. After this COVID-19 situation is over, I have a date with Lovely Rita.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The flagrant gun s**t is BACK! Normalcy returns in 'Murica!!! Yea....
  • Dwayne wrote: »

Those day's are still very much alive in each of us. After this COVID-19 situation is over, I have a date with Lovely Rita.

Personally, I'll be seeing Lucy in the Sky. Any suggestions for a jewel of a present I might bring her?
    I hear she's fond of Savoy Truffle.