Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

A security guard at a store in Flint. MI has just been shot to death because he asked a customer to wear a mask before entering the store. https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/wife-says-flint-dollar-store-security-guard-killed-over-face-mask-dispute I don't want to get "political" or anything, but really....isn't this just a little bit crazy?

Not everything completely bonkers is political even if you do get used to that in especially the US of A. This is just plain crazy throw away the key of jail-cell crazy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
    210,000 deaths reached on April 26th (2 days later).
    220,000 deaths reached on April 28th (2 days later).
    230,000 deaths reached on April 30th (2 days later).
    240,000 deaths reached on May 2nd (2 days later).
    250,000 deaths reached on May 4th (2 days later).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    A security guard at a store in Flint. MI has just been shot to death because he asked a customer to wear a mask before entering the store. https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/wife-says-flint-dollar-store-security-guard-killed-over-face-mask-dispute I don't want to get "political" or anything, but really....isn't this just a little bit crazy?

Not everything completely bonkers is political even if you do get used to that in especially the US of A. This is just plain crazy throw away the key of jail-cell crazy.

"The US government is prioritizing gun ownership over basic human rights. Despite the huge number of guns in circulation and the sheer numbers of people killed by guns each year, there is a shocking lack of federal regulations that could save thousands."

Margaret Huang, Executive Director of Amnesty International USA

But I digress.

I'm worried that the lower classes will, as usual, be hit the hardest. Not everyone has easy access to the latest news, including news about what is allowed and what isn't; not everyone can afford the proper protection; not everyone shall be able to afford vaccines for the whole family unless prices are being adjusted to income scales and whatnot.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    A very bleak internal report from the departments of the US Homeland Security and the Health and Human Services project that the USA will reach 3,000 daily deaths from coronavirus and 200,000 daily confirmed cases by early June.
    Bad news for the West End : all theaters closed until june 28th :

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/west-end-performances-cancelled-june-2020_51521.html

Sir Cameron Mackintosh isn't too optimistic about the fate of british theaters :

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/cameron-mackintosh-theatres-covid-2021_51514.html
  • https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-signals-coronavirus-task-force-wind-down_n_5eb1c629c5b6a15b6f478679 Because it's not like COVID-19 is still a problem or anything. Back to work, everybody...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    We (the U.S.) will now see a second wave. 2 million dead by this time next year. Hopefully by then we'll have a POTUS less dedicated to destroying all Obama did than protecting our country... best wishes to the rest of you guys.
  • Dwayne wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    ...isn't this just a little bit crazy?
    Probably came from drinking too much Flint tap water.

Thanks for the laugh, Mr. Pepper. (You wouldn't have been a Sgt. in this or a previous life, wouldya?)

It was twenty years ago today... (No, I'm afraid it was more than fifty.) But With A Little Help From My Friends, we might still make it. Just Fixing A Hole here. It's Getting Better all the time. And it's only half a year until When I'm Sixty-Four. Feels like just A Day In The Life....

Oh my god...isn't it pathetic that those days are basically over?

Those day's are still very much alive in each of us. After this COVID-19 situation is over, I have a date with Lovely Rita.

Personally, I'll be seeing Lucy in the Sky. Any suggestions for a jewel of a present I might bring her?

Oh come on folks! I give you a perfect set-up for a laugh line & no one's willing to take it? Okay, fine. I'll be bringing her Diamonds. They ARE Forever...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Dwayne wrote: »

Thanks for the laugh, Mr. Pepper. (You wouldn't have been a Sgt. in this or a previous life, wouldya?)

It was twenty years ago today... (No, I'm afraid it was more than fifty.) But With A Little Help From My Friends, we might still make it. Just Fixing A Hole here. It's Getting Better all the time. And it's only half a year until When I'm Sixty-Four. Feels like just A Day In The Life....

Those day's are still very much alive in each of us. After this COVID-19 situation is over, I have a date with Lovely Rita.

Personally, I'll be seeing Lucy in the Sky. Any suggestions for a jewel of a present I might bring her?

Oh come on folks! I give you a perfect set-up for a laugh line & no one's willing to take it? Okay, fine. I'll be bringing her Diamonds. They ARE Forever...

"Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And for the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry..."
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »

"Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And for the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry..."

One of my favorite Lennonisms.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited May 2020 Posts: 2,626
    Speaking of the Beatles, (well Paul and Linda anyway), I was wondering why “Live and Let Die” was trending on twitter this morning:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-tours-factory-maskless-live-and-let-die-song-994546/

You can’t make this stuff up folks. its’ times like this where the only way to cope is to get “Hi Hi Hi.” 😊.
    I genuinely think BJ and Trump will be the only two Western leaders battling the virus when the other countries have moved on. In an effort to catch up, the risks of "unlocking" too soon are all too obvious.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Speaking of the Beatles, (well Paul and Linda anyway), I was wondering why “Live and Let Die” was trending on twitter this morning:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-tours-factory-maskless-live-and-let-die-song-994546/

You can’t this stuff up folks. its’ times like this where the only way to cope is to get “Hi Hi Hi.” 😊.

This never happened to the other fella...
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Why not rename this thread into American politics?

No. Coronavirus is a global crisis, not an american one.
    No, no, we really are trying our best here in the UK not to let Trump take all of the limelight re rubbishness. Although, he is a tough act to compete with.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Interesting take on how the “flattening” US COVID-19 case curve may be misleading. While I’m not really surprised, according to the authors, when larger cities are excluded from the analysis, the overall US trend actually continues upward.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/06/opinion/coronavirus-deaths-statistics.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Left unsaid, is that many smaller communities – which may experience peak outbreaks in the weeks to come, don’t always have adequate hospital ICU capacity.
    Very interest read, thanks
    patb wrote: »
    I genuinely think BJ and Trump will be the only two Western leaders battling the virus when the other countries have moved on. In an effort to catch up, the risks of "unlocking" too soon are all too obvious.

Unlocking too soon is more dangerous than anything else. I know it's hard on people, but every week we can add to the lockdown certainly decreases the risk of something worse in the near future.

People often seem to forget that if we quickly start "renormalizing" our ways, if shop owners start investing in a new commercial season, and if the curve then suddenly goes up again, another lockdown might be too big a blow to take, both economically and psychologically.
    Yes, agree. I struggle to see anything in the UK figures to justify any unlock but BJ under pressure and , also, people are starting to ignore it anyway? So does he "crackdown" to enforce it or start to unlock rather than see the rule of law not enforced/respected.

I can't see any evidence of a grand strategy. The fact he is announcing it on Sunday (to avoid Commons scrutiny) and some measures come into effect the followiong day (thats the leaks anyway) says it all.

Of course, there is not only the psychology of a second lockdown but the gov would be admitting failure by enforcing one. They still seem to repeat "the right decisions at the right time".
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    chrisisall wrote: »
    We (the U.S.) will now see a second wave. 2 million dead by this time next year. Hopefully by then we'll have a POTUS less dedicated to destroying all Obama did than protecting our country... best wishes to the rest of you guys.

"He'll kill us all."
    Seeing Trump on TV today here in the UK, I thought this guy just doesn't get how serious this disease is? Goes to shake hands and then realises, so gives the guy an arm tap, does not wear PPE in factory producing masks, and to add insult to injury? Plays LALD soundtrack?!!! X_X
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Seeing Trump on TV today here in the UK, I thought this guy just doesn't get how serious this disease is? Goes to shake hands and then realises, so gives the guy an arm tap, does not wear PPE in factory producing masks, and to add insult to injury? Plays LALD soundtrack?!!! X_X

It's one thing to turn his relationship with the media into a farce; I can even "give" him his ill-mannered comments aimed at Obama and certain governors or presidential candidates or other countries. It shouldn't be what a president does, but then every village needs a village idiot.

But carrying the responsibility, as he does, to lead by example, to give people good advice, to obey the safety rules, he and his behaviour are utterly despicable. It shows how much of a despot he really is: someone who puts himself above the law and who consistently degrades his fellow countrymen by mocking the very institutes and principles that are so needed to keep them safe in these times. Above all, he tricks people into thinking that it's okay to be nonchalant and to not worry about Corona at all. As I've said before, either through inaction, ignorance or downright bad intentions, this man is responsible for the death of thousands of Americans. The Bastille was stormed for less. For some reason, people just tolerate it nowadays. I abhor violence, so I wouldn't want things to get ugly, but at the very least, political opposition--common-sense opposition--should warn and keep warning people about Corona. It's not over yet; in fact, unless extreme care is exercised at least many more weeks, it's going to be far from over.
    BJ &Trump tend to want the limelight but the other countries have their own issues with the virus and they tend to be overlooked due to the sheer stupidity of the likes Bolzano & Trumps.
    I fear that we will not have seen the last of this Virus even if the deaths have gone down in Europe & China I expect them to raise again simply because there are always enough selfish idiots who think about their own desires and ignore the interest of others.

I fear the death toll further this year.
    Say what ?

735406_v2.jpg?v=2
    This past week, 3.3 million US citizens registered to claim unemployment benefits. This is the all-time highest unemployment rate in US history. The previous record was set in 1982, when unemployment claims hit 695,000.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52050426

As feared, the global economy will be left in very, very bad shape from the coronavirus.
    The US has once again obliterated their all-time highest unemployment rate, as this past week 6.6 million US citizens registered to claim unemployment benefits.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/economy/unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html
    A further 6.6 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. That makes for a total of 16 million jobs lost in the United States in the past 3 weeks. For comparison, the 2008 financial crisis accounted for a total 9 million jobs lost, over a much longer period (18 months).
    Another 5.5 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of nearly 22 million jobs lost in the United States in the last month. This is nearly 32 times than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history (695,000 jobless citizens in 1982).

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/jobless-claims-hovered-at-5-2-million-last-week-over-21-million-have-filed-for-unemployment-in-pandemic
    Another 4.4 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of of 26.4 million jobs lost in the United States since the coronavirus outbreak begun. This means that more than 15% of the U.S. workforce are now unemployed. This is nearly 38 more times more than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52398837
    A further 3.8 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of over 30 million jobs lost in the United States since the coronavirus outbreak begun. This is over 43 times bigger than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history (695,000 jobless citizens in 1982).

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/us-weekly-jobless-claims.html

Another 3.5 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. There is now a total of over 33.5 million jobs lost in the United States since the coronavirus outbreak begun. This is over 48 times bigger than the previous highest unemployment rate in U.S. history (695,000 jobless citizens in 1982).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy/us-unemployment-rolls-seen-swelling-as-coronavirus-restrictions-bite-idUSKBN22J0HT
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

It's one thing to turn his relationship with the media into a farce; I can even "give" him his ill-mannered comments aimed at Obama and certain governors or presidential candidates or other countries. It shouldn't be what a president does, but then every village needs a village idiot.

But carrying the responsibility, as he does, to lead by example, to give people good advice, to obey the safety rules, he and his behaviour are utterly despicable. It shows how much of a despot he really is: someone who puts himself above the law and who consistently degrades his fellow countrymen by mocking the very institutes and principles that are so needed to keep them safe in these times. Above all, he tricks people into thinking that it's okay to be nonchalant and to not worry about Corona at all. As I've said before, either through inaction, ignorance or downright bad intentions, this man is responsible for the death of thousands of Americans. The Bastille was stormed for less. For some reason, people just tolerate it nowadays. I abhor violence, so I wouldn't want things to get ugly, but at the very least, political opposition--common-sense opposition--should warn and keep warning people about Corona. It's not over yet; in fact, unless extreme care is exercised at least many more weeks, it's going to be far from over.

I couldn't have said it any better. We're in deep s#it. A month ago, I thought we simply needed to keep to stay-at-home guidelines through May, in order to get a handle on things. But then the crazies came out and Trump played to the 30% of the public against the social distancing.
    We'll be seeing how the world develops after the first of June when some facilities like restaurants and bars can possibly open for public, I am looking forward drinking a coffee at my favorite bistro again.
    TripAces wrote: »
    I couldn't have said it any better. We're in deep s#it. A month ago, I thought we simply needed to keep to stay-at-home guidelines through May, in order to get a handle on things. But then the crazies came out and Trump played to the 30% of the public against the social distancing.

I hope Trump will eventually be held criminally responsible for this.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    We'll be seeing how the world develops after the first of June when some facilities like restaurants and bars can possibly open for public, I am looking forward drinking a coffee at my favorite bistro again.

I haven't made up my mind yet. Part of me craves a bit of the "old normal" too, like taking my girlfriend to a cosy restaurant or going to the movies--Oh! how I miss that... The other part of me, however, has turned somewhat "virus-paranoid", showing all the signs of an intense, morbid fear of a virus I've spent these last two months hiding from like a fugitive from his pursuers. It's going to be tough at first to get out again, and a lot of sanitary fluids will be spilt.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 7,653
    This virus needs better attention than the morons who will endanger their surroundings because of their limited visions, I have blanketed stupid and its friends as they are not worthy of my attention.
    That said they are difficult to ignore.