Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

Meanwhile at Walmart...

qoxnozauvun41.png
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).

In France, we were at 8911 dead, including those who died in retirement homes. Me, I'm working now three days per week. But what to do during the four other days ?
    This morning, I saw a curious side effect of the current crisis. As you know, many movies have been postponed, including Mulan, which will open in july, after having been schduled for the end of march. Except that nobody thought to tell that to the merchandise department. Because, while buying my groceries at the local mall, I saw the novelization in the book section. And no, it wasn't the novelization of the cartoon (although it was also present) but the novelization of the movie, complete with pictures. And from what I saw, unlike, say, Frozen II, that one gives away the ending. Way to sabotage it, dummies !

Oh, and I managed to get my hands on a mask (they're very rare in France right now), even if it looks like it was made out of a pair of granny panties. Turns out that people have taken up to sewing fabric masks to fight the current shortage. What's best, I got it for free. Win !
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Italy has done it. They've just recorded 3,053 new cases over the last 24 hours. This is their lowest number since March 13th and their first day below 4,000 new infections since March 17th.

Spain has had a notable increase of +100 deaths and +2,000 infections compared to yesterday. But day-to-day count are not very accurate as some hospitals do not confirm deaths/cases until the following day. Hopefully the next few days will continue to confirm Spain has passed their peak of the outbreak.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Italy has done it. They've just recorded 3,053 new cases over the last 24 hours. This is their lowest number since March 13th and their first day below 4,000 new infections since March 17th.

Spain has had a notable increase of +100 deaths and +2,000 infections compared to yesterday. But day-to-day count are not very accurate as some hospitals do not confirm deaths/cases until the following day. Hopefully the next few days will continue to confirm Spain has passed their peak of the outbreak.

Numbers don’t lie but I’m still cautious because next weekend will be Easter which could lead tons of people to breaking the rules. It’s not simple to stop Italians eating and drinking together in such an important event...
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).

• edited April 2020 Posts: 5,809

Staéy inside or be exterminated.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Spain seems to be going the wrong direction again. 876 new death & 6,910 new cases for them in the past 24 hours. Their number of daily deaths and cases have increased by +100 and +1,000 respectively over the past 2 days. Hopefully this trend can reverse again.
    In the US it seems to go wrong quickly, lets hope it does not spread everywhere because so much is done to not stick to Social distancing look at Europe and you can see where it went wrong and that is pretty open information if it is not exactly China
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Here in Chile, while more cases are reported every day, as expected, we appear to be doing okay, so far. A night curfew was applied to the whole country, and week-long, prolongable quarantines have been enacted in select areas of the country's capital and most populated city, Santiago, and in a few other cities. Fellow South American country Ecuador, and more specifically the city of Guayaquil, has had a particularly hard time. Corpses lying on the street, shortage of coffins and materials to make them, which has led to the manufacturing of cardboard coffins. A terribly sad situation.

Sad as it may be, it's been interesting to observe how this virus has affected all aspects of life. Economic, political, social, biological. It's forced a great deal of people to recontextualize life to some extent, even if only temporarily, in terms of how we work, study, and connect and relate to each other. It also appears to have had some positive short-term environmental consequences, but I fear once the virus situation is over, the intense need to reactivate the economy will overcome any environmental considerations.

In my particular case, it's also been interesting to learn or re-learn a thing or two about biology, how viruses work, and how epidemics and pandemics are dealt with by health professionals.

Here's hoping we can overcome this global problem in the best possible way.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 871
    A study from the University of Göttingen in Germany estimates that the real number of infections may be several tens of millions.

http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/606540.html

EVFNyrqWkAAlVv3?format=jpg&name=medium
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    Here in Chile, while more cases are reported every day, as expected, we appear to be doing okay, so far. A night curfew was applied to the whole country, and week-long, prolongable quarantines have been enacted in select areas of the country's capital and most populated city, Santiago, and in a few other cities. Fellow South American country Ecuador, and more specifically the city of Guayaquil, has had a particularly hard time. Corpses lying on the street, shortage of coffins and materials to make them, which has led to the manufacturing of cardboard coffins. A terribly sad situation.

Sad as it may be, it's been interesting to observe how this virus has affected all aspects of life. Economic, political, social, biological. It's forced a great deal of people to recontextualize life to some extent, even if only temporarily, in terms of how we work, study, and connect and relate to each other. It also appears to have had some positive short-term environmental consequences, but I fear once the virus situation is over, the intense need to reactivate the economy will overcome any environmental considerations.

In my particular case, it's also been interesting to learn or re-learn a thing or two about biology, how viruses work, and how epidemics and pandemics are dealt with by health professionals.

Here's hoping we can overcome this global problem in the best possible way.

If anything it's proved that a great number of people are more than capable of performing their jobs at home, leading to the question of whether it is really necessary for everyone to work in their office 9-5, five days a week. If people worked at home 2-3 days a week surely that would help a little bit in cutting down on CO2 emissions? And traffic would be lighter, so when you do need to commute your commute time would go down also.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just went out to walk the dog (about an hour) in my neighborhood. I passed about 16 people and I was stew only one wearing a mask. I was shocked, we're in a heavily infected area.

I was out for a walk last night too, to get some fresh air and enjoy the full moon. Only saw two other people. Truly bizarre, but also quite lovely.
    A further 6.6 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. That makes for a total of 16 million jobs lost in the United States in the past 3 weeks. For comparison, the 2008 financial crisis accounted for a total 9 million jobs lost, over a much longer period (18 months).
    A further 6.6 million US citizens have filed for unemployment benefits this past week. That makes for a total of 16 million jobs lost in the United States in the past 3 weeks. For comparison, the 2008 financial crisis accounted for a total 9 million jobs lost, over a much longer period (18 months).

Shocking. My office already started to fire some employees btw.
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,497
    FC Barcelona has opened their Camp Nou stadium for researchers to find a cure.
    Spain has recorded 605 deaths on April 9th, their lowest daily figure in 17 days. The numbers are slowly going down, but their situation has been improving steadily for over a week now.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Spain has recorded 605 deaths on April 9th, their lowest daily figure in 17 days. The numbers are slowly going down, but their situation has been improving steadily for over a week now.

Fantastic! =D>
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I just went out to walk the dog (about an hour) in my neighborhood. I passed about 16 people and I was stew only one wearing a mask. I was shocked, we're in a heavily infected area.
    I can't compare the situation in your place with mine (or the center of Hamburg, where my office is), but while the number of people wearing masks while being in a grocery store or something is slowly increasing, almost nobody does it while just walking around town. The foremost reason may be that face masks are simply not available, and not everyone knows how to sew. Or even owns a scarf as a substitute, as in my case. Then of course, our top epidemiologists have been saying (if only to avoid a run on more sophisticated masks needed by doctors and nurses) that simple face covers don't avoid your (the wearer's) own infection, though they might help, to a limited degree, to keep the wearer from infecting other people. Still they consider it far more effective to keep physical distance, absolute minimum 1.5 meters (5 feet), better at least two meters. And in most places where that is possible, people seem to be complying.

Personally, I find the thought of everyone running around with masks disastrous, even more than the pandemic's effect on the economy. Our societies are built and rely upon seeing each other's face while communicating in person. (In fact, that's the only reason why I think that in spite of religious freedom, burqas and niqabs should be outlawed in public. And I definitely don't wish to start a discussion of religious rules here, just trying to draw a parallel to show how important I find that issue.)

As long as the government lets me, I'll be happy to run around (when I need to) without a mask, trying to keep distance and follow all rules, and I am confident I'll either be fine...or the fatalist alternative: I'll get it anyway one of these days, since 60 or 70 per cent of the population will before it stops. Or the best solution: I may have had it already without being aware.
    In Lombardy it’s mandatory to wear a mask outside home. Right now it’s hard to find masks for everybody (the Region started to distribute masks for free but especially in Milan it’s almost impossible to find them) but there are other solutions since lots of brands from the textile industry converted the production for the need of the community. For example I just received an e-mail from a tailor’s shop that just started to distribute masks (tested by the Politecnico of Milan) and I ordered some. In a couple of days they will arrive. I have a coupe of FFp2/3 but those masks are too uncomfortable (even tho are super professional) and it’s very difficult to breath. Those are fine if u go to the supermarket but not too much for have a walk or even working in the office once quarantine will be over...
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    South Florida is reporting hundreds of cases every day. I work for the electric company and I don't have the luxury of working from home based on my job responsibilities and they even had to split me and my one other coworker into different shifts. I'm still very lucky to have a job though. This whole thing is just absolute insanity.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    My mother lives in Sarasota, I don’t think she leaves the apartment anymore.

I love it in Sarasota. I've been going every year in the summer since 2013. I don't blame her. I've only been going to work and to the grocery store and even the latter is very brief for essentials.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,695
    The big regional discussion (I live in the greater Hamburg area, but in the state of Lower Saxony, to the south of the city/state) is that the state of Schleswig-Holstein (to the north, bordering to Denmark and basically having most of the interesting beaches in the nation) and likewise the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (the Baltic coast or what was East Germany this side of Poland) do not allow anyone from outside the state to come for touristic visits, including owners of a second home/apartment situated there.

First of all, I don't have a personal interest, not having a second residence and enjoying my rural home in Lower Saxony, south of Hamburg, with a generous back yard and a pond, as it is. But I do think that the rules by the other states are unconstitutional, especially regarding the people living right on the border (which normally is no border at all) between the states. The German constitution provides for freedom of movement in the entire country, and while restrictions of movement to and from some places may be in order under the circumstances under the Infection Protection Code, I do not think they are warranted based on the place/state where one is registered, especially if they are targeted against residents living right on the "state line", using the American term for lack of a better word. If one lives in the middle of Hamburg and maybe has a lot exposition to the virus, it makes total sense to send your family to your (officially recognised and taxed) second home in the neighboring countryside to keep them out of the possibly infectious hustle of the Big City, and the regional governments shouldn't impede this.
    I think desperate times Call for desperate measures. Accepting suspension of individuals rights for a short period in order to potentially save hundreds of thousands should be part of everyone’s obligation to society IMO.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I think desperate times Call for desperate measures. Accepting suspension of individuals rights for a short period in order to potentially save hundreds of thousands should be part of everyone’s obligation to society IMO.

Yes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    matt_u wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »

Yes.

Agreed. I cannot believe, especially in these facebook/twitter times, that people worry more about their absolute privacy than public health.