Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Some good news from Spain: it seems they have passed their peak of the outbreak. They recorded 950 deaths on April 1st, and in the past 3 days their death-toll has gone down: 932 on April 2nd, 809 on April 3rd and 674 on April 4th. Their number of new cases has also decreased in each of the last 3 days (8,102 on April 1st, 7,472 on April 2nd, 7,026 on April 3rd and 6,023 on April 4th).

Italy also may have passed their peak on March 26th/27th. The 26th was their last day above 6,000 new cases and the 27th their last day above 900 deaths. For the last 6 days they have recorded less than 5,000 new cases (highest: 4,805 on April 4th, lowest: 4,050 on March 30th), and for the last 4 days have recorded below 800 deaths, with yesterday being their lowest death-toll (681) since March 25 (681, the last day before yesterday where they were below 700 new fatalities).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Some very good news from Italy: they have recorded 525 new deaths and 4,316 new cases. This marks the first day since March 19th that Italy has had below 600 deaths (ending a 17-day streak).

Sorry for the double post, but I thought some positive news warranted its own message for more visibility.
    Some very good news from Italy: they have recorded 525 new deaths and 4,316 new cases. This marks the first day since March 19th that Italy has had below 600 deaths (ending a 17-day streak).

Sorry for the double post, but I thought some positive news warranted its own message for more visibility.

It does certainly.
    I despair at the idiots here in the UK who are flagrantly ignoring the medical advice and carrying on like all is normal. Wake up people!!!!!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I despair at the idiots here in the UK who are flagrantly ignoring the medical advice and carrying on like all is normal. Wake up people!!!!!!

It seems that these idiots are not just English /British but across the world they believe the young have the future but it seems that they die from Covid-19 too or suffer lung damage, which combined with brain damage they already showed makes for some stupid behaviour.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

It seems that these idiots are not just English /British but across the world they believe the young have the future but it seems that they die from Covid-19 too or suffer lung damage, which combined with brain damage they already showed makes for some stupid behaviour.

Oh I have no doubt other countries are experiencing similar goings on!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just read Boris Johnson's going to the hospital.

Yes, BBC News is breaking it now on TV
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

As much as I despise him for his Brexit scheming, I truly wish him the best of luck...and subsequently, perhaps a sense of empathy for others who may suffer from the same affliction.
    On the politcal side, it's a huge PR gaff/issue as the Queen was meant to be the big story today and in the papers tomorrow.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A Florida pastor had this to say:

“The people who are going in to the synagogue are coming out of the synagogue with the virus,” Wiles said. “It’s spreading in Israel through the synagogues. God is spreading it in your synagogues! You are under judgment because you oppose his son, Jesus Christ. That is why you have a plague in your synagogues. Repent and believe on the name of Jesus Christ, and the plague will stop.”

Either he means what he says or he doesn't. If he does, he's insane and should be stuck away in an asylum. If he doesn't, he's a dangerous instigator and should be stuck away in a prison.
    "Florida man" strikes again! But now he's a pastor.
    Sadly there are many religious fruitcakes out there who have decided the virus exists primarily to justify their beliefs. They're monomaniacs. He's probably spouting this nonsense inside a crowded church as we speak. If so, what sort of tortured rationale will he produce when God starts carrying off his flock?
    "rationale"? surely not
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 12,837
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

As much as I despise him for his Brexit scheming, I truly wish him the best of luck...and subsequently, perhaps a sense of empathy for others who may suffer from the same affliction.

It could be a precautionary thing, to be fair, with him being as important as he is. Wasn't it just a temperature still not going down? No reason to panic just yet.

But yeah I'm as anti Tory as anyone but obviously I wish him the best. I'm assuming he'll have gone NHS (cynical take I know, but it'd be pretty bad for PR after all he's said over the last few weeks to go private), so I hope even if this virus results in more austerity, his experience will make him reconsider on giving nurses the pay rise he and his mates previously voted against.

And hopefully, if there is another pandemic like this, this will make him think twice about lying about shaking hands with patients in the early stages (may well have been well intentioned, trying to keep people calm, but we had several other countries to learn from, so it was still an appalling lack of judgement) and refusing to comment on his dad and one of his donors going on TV to go against his advice. It's no wonder people are still not taking it seriously when we were slow to encourage them to from the outset. Labour too, to be fair. I love Corbyn but he took far too long to even comment on the whole thing. He came good in the end and I know he was on his way out, but still. With hindsight, and knowing what we know about early prep (EU meetings) and with other countries to look to, the government were too laid back and went unchallenged for too long in the early stages imo. A lot of us might have been guilty of that, underestimating how serious it was, but we were following by example; we weren't the ones in talks about it as far back as January, and it isn't our job to assess this stuff.

I am hoping for an enquiry when all is said and done too. The time wasted on herd immunity, the lack of decent PPE for NHS staff, refusing to join the EU ventilator scheme. I get that why should be pulling together right now, and I wouldn't wish this virus on anyone, Tories included. But questions need to be asked once we're "back to normal". Please can it not just be swept under the rug like Jennifer Acuri, the Russia Report, etc.
    Benny wrote: »
    GlamSlam wrote: »
    My investment is down $10000 and my salary is being slashed down to 80% thanks to this virus...Is any ine else being financially hit by this pandemic? Tell us about it?

I have some friends who are rejighing their machines to produce masks so I hear some are actually making a pretty nice penny out of this for their troubles...

What industry are you in @GlamSlam ?
    I don't think you're the only one who's being affected financially though.
    As far as making a 'pretty nice penny' most countries have a policy that people not be profiteering from this pandemic. We're all in the same boat here. At least most of us are.

I am working in the production, but primarily distribution of, noxious chemicals. But that is only my main job. It is dangerous but very well paying.

In the weekend I also play saxophone and keyboards in jazz clubs, in between raising my young 10 year old son, Pierson (name inspired after, you guessed, Pierce Brosnan the man himself). A passion of mine that also brings in a bit of extra cash.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »

“The people who are going in to the synagogue are coming out of the synagogue with the virus,” Wiles said. “It’s spreading in Israel through the synagogues. God is spreading it in your synagogues! You are under judgment because you oppose his son, Jesus Christ. That is why you have a plague in your synagogues. Repent and believe on the name of Jesus Christ, and the plague will stop.”

Either he means what he says or he doesn't. If he does, he's insane and should be stuck away in an asylum. If he doesn't, he's a dangerous instigator and should be stuck away in a prison.

Yep.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 5,811

That pastor probably doesn't know that the biggest COVID-19 cluster we've had in France was due to an Evangelical congress in Alsace.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-france-church-spec/special-report-five-days-of-worship-that-set-a-virus-time-bomb-in-france-idUSKBN21H0Q2

But, well, it's Florida.
    Some good news from Spain: it seems they have passed their peak of the outbreak. They recorded 950 deaths on April 1st, and in the past 3 days their death-toll has gone down: 932 on April 2nd, 809 on April 3rd and 674 on April 4th. Their number of new cases has also decreased in each of the last 3 days (8,102 on April 1st, 7,472 on April 2nd, 7,026 on April 3rd and 6,023 on April 4th).

Italy also may have passed their peak on March 26th/27th. The 26th was their last day above 6,000 new cases and the 27th their last day above 900 deaths. For the last 6 days they have recorded less than 5,000 new cases (highest: 4,805 on April 4th, lowest: 4,050 on March 30th), and for the last 4 days have recorded below 800 deaths, with yesterday being their lowest death-toll (681) since March 25 (681, the last day before yesterday where they were below 700 new fatalities).

Spain is still improving. They have recorded 4,273 new cases yesterday, their lowest number since March 21st (16 days ago). The last day they had under 5,000 new infections was March 22nd. They recorded 637 deaths yesterday, their lowest number since March 23rd. Yesterday marks the 4th consecutive day of deaths & new cases decreasing in Spain. 4 days ago (April 1st) they registered 8,102 new cases (3,829 more than yesterday) and 950 deaths (313 more than yesterday).

Italy is once again improving. They have recorded 636 deaths today (111 more than yesterday) but their number of new cases is very encouraging: 3,599 new cases for today (their first day since March 17th when they were below 4,000 new cases). Thus ending a 19 day streak above 4,000 new infections.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,293
    The 2020 Roskilde Festival is cancelled after Denmark's government confirmed that large gatherings are banned until August.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    FYI, there are reports out there as of 4/6 3:30 PM EST

Prime Minister Boris Johnson of Britain, who has the coronavirus, was moved to intensive care.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/world/coronavirus-live-news-updates.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
    A Virus does not think political so even the elite seem to be vulnerable. While I think he is an horrible person I do hope he will get well soon.
    I don't want anyone to suffer from Corona, so yes, I hope Boris gets well too.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I've deleted my response many times, sticking with the directive in the title of the thread. Of course... we don't want anyone to suffer. Not even...of course. There's no reason as an American I should be envying the UK with this latest news. Nope...no one should suffer.

I too have had the impulse, @Birdleson.

As you said, "not even...".
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Hoping for a speedy recovery for Mr. Johnson.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Let make it clear, people... even the worst politicians (maybe barring those that are proven mass-murderers) do not warrant wishing they may die or be afflicted with a possibly-lethal disease. In that mood, I'm still hoping the best for BoJo, as much as I despise him for the entire Brexit business. But there must be limits to how one thinks about political opponents in terms of their fate.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I've deleted my response many times, sticking with the directive in the title of the thread. Of course... we don't want anyone to suffer. Not even...of course. There's no reason as an American I should be envying the UK with this latest news. Nope...no one should suffer.

You are not alone.
    It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Given how he totally underestimated the virus - putting citizens health at risk with all that insane strategy he had in the beginning - this current situation feels quite surreal. Anyway, hopefully he will recover soon!

As you said, "not even...".

Yes, but I was being insincere.

You are forgiven. A lack of empathy for those with a lack of empathy is not a true lack of empathy.