Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

matt_u wrote: »
    Heartbreaking images from Piazza Navona in the Eternal City. A young guitarist plays Morricone's Deborah's Theme from Once Upon a Time in America on a rooftop overlooking breathtaking empty Rome at sunset.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Not to mention the ultra-traditionalist catholics who also decided to have a mass in a church in Paris for Easter.

Hey, it wouldn't be called a "mass" if you could do it without a large number of people, would it?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Not to mention the ultra-traditionalist catholics who also decided to have a mass in a church in Paris for Easter.

Hey, it wouldn't be called a "mass" if you could do it without a large number of people, would it?

It should have been a mass exodus.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

It should have been a mass exodus.

still could be
    What I feared has happened : my nephew just texted me that his wedding (which was scheduled for july) is postponed until next year. Damn !
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    What I feared has happened : my nephew just texted me that his wedding (which was scheduled for july) is postponed until next year. Damn !

Yeah my best friend postponed his wedding from June to August but he will be forced to push it back until next year for sure.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Then again, not being married doesn't preclude you from much, does it...? Maybe some tax breaks or so. I suppose one could still get married these days anyway, except one has to postpone the celebration with masses of people getting together. But that's it.

(Disclaimer: I'm saying this as one who 28 years ago kept his official wedding ceremony - only the mandatory, non-religious kind anyway - secret from even his parents until the night before, same did my wife[-to-be], and only celebrated with those close relatives who still made it for lunch the next day. No way we would have wanted a giant crowd joining us. Ah, I guess I'm just not romantic enough.)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Then again, not being married doesn't preclude you from much, does it...? Maybe some tax breaks or so. I suppose one could still get married these days anyway, except one has to postpone the celebration with masses of people getting together. But that's it.

(Disclaimer: I'm saying this as one who 28 years ago kept his official wedding ceremony - only the mandatory, non-religious kind anyway - secret from even his parents until the night before, same did my wife[-to-be], and only celebrated with those close relatives who still made it for lunch the next day. No way we would have wanted a giant crowd joining us. Ah, I guess I'm just not romantic enough.)

Hospital visitation rights.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,696
    Got a point there in some places, I guess. Probably not here, though. But again, does one postpone the wedding because one cannot get the papers, or because one cannot have a big celebration?
    Big celebration...

Luckily I don’t have this kind of problems... maybe in 2/3 years... let’s see what happens... :D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Is it possible to get a 'papers' marriage over the internet? Are city halls open for this sort of thing?
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,696
    Is it possible to get a 'papers' marriage over the internet? Are city halls open for this sort of thing?

Frankly, I wouldn't know. But this will probably be different depending on the country, or even state/province, maybe even community level. I've read some articles about couples getting married, "live" before the official marriage registrar, even without the usual witnesses, while keeping the appropriate distance from the official. So it seems to work here and there in Germany, at least.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    By tomorrow we will reach 2 million confirmed cases world-wide, 13 days after the 1,000,000th case was recorded. It took 124 days to go from 1 case to 1 million cases.
    One thing you seem to forget regarding my nephew's wedding : the last time I saw him was for my brother's funerals. That wedding was the occasion to see him (and his siblings) under happier circumstances. That was why I was so looking forward to it. Now, it's postponed, and I don't know when I will see them again.

In France, Emmanuel Macron has announced that the confinement will last until may 11th at least, but plans are being drawn to go to normal again, progressively (first the schools, but no cinemas or bars for now). Various festivals have been cancelled (until the middle of july at least), including the world-famous theatre festival of Avignon. And myself, I doubt I'll be able to travel for my summer vacations.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Lockdown here has extended till 3rd May
    Yeah, 3rd May 2021, probably, going by the way things are still developing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My biggest concern is that some countries may end up suspending their lockdown measures a tad too soon. A "normalization rebound" could be the start of a worse, second wave.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    My biggest concern is that some countries may end up suspending their lockdown measures a tad too soon. A "normalization rebound" could be the start of a worse, second wave.

My biggest concern is the same as yours, only more specifically about a certain country with a certain president who is more worried about an upcoming election in November than the ongoing virus. I do not wish to enter a political debate but the short-term views & goals of modern politics is likely to make our fight against coronavirus much more difficult than planned. This could all well be over after the summer if everyone dedicated the next 4 months to a world-wide effort to fight the virus. As a 29 years old, 4 months is just over 1.1% of my lifespan so far.
    We simply don't seem to have enough data yet to make the correct decision re ending the lockdown. There seems to be some debate at the moment regarding catching it a second time. Obviously, thats a crucial factor. IMHO, the correct decision would be, if in doubt, extend rather than open up too early but its a very complex scenario.
    My biggest concern is the same as yours, only more specifically about a certain country with a certain president who is more worried about an upcoming election in November than the ongoing virus.

This is exactly why I (like many Americans) appreciate the value of states' rights and the power of our governors.

That's my fear as well.
    Italy has recorded 602 new deaths and 2,972 new cases in the last 24 hours. This marks Italy's first day below 3,000 new infections since March 13th.
    Italy has recorded 602 new deaths and 2,972 new cases in the last 24 hours. This marks Italy's first day below 3,000 new infections since March 13th.

This is also because they made less tests throughout the Easter week end. The curve is slowing down but slower than Spain for example...
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

My biggest concern is the same as yours, only more specifically about a certain country with a certain president who is more worried about an upcoming election in November than the ongoing virus. I do not wish to enter a political debate but the short-term views & goals of modern politics is likely to make our fight against coronavirus much more difficult than planned. This could all well be over after the summer if everyone dedicated the next 4 months to a world-wide effort to fight the virus. As a 29 years old, 4 months is just over 1.1% of my lifespan so far.

Think Trump is really undermining his chances of getting re-elected by the way he's handling the crisis.
    For the first time since 1950 1968, the Cannes film festival has been canceled.
    Not the first time : it was also cancelled in 1968 due to the troubles in France at the time. And under less than ideal circumstances.
    Not the first time : it was also cancelled in 1968 due to the troubles in France at the time. And under less than ideal circumstances.

How did I forget about that? Thanks for the correction, @Gerard.

EDIT: The 2020 edition of the Tour de France has been postponed by 2 months. First stage will take place on August 29th.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 3,279

Even when a country decides to relax its lockdown, life won't be back to normal as we know it, not until a vaccine is on the market.

Until then we will be under some kind of lockdown, where social distancing is still in force. Public gathering areas such as concerts, live sport venues, cinemas, etc. will still be closed until the end of this year at least.

Life may never get back to the `norm' we all knew before March 2020. The economy will tank, businesses will fold, a global recession the likes we have never seen for over 300 years will be the new norm.

That's my daily optimistic forecast for you all, here to spread cheer and keep all your spirits up.

Have a nice day.

<:-P
    The Netherlands is on the verge of becoming the 9th country to pass China's total death-toll, if governments numbers are to be believed, and Canada is set to become the 15th country to reach 1,000 deaths by tomorow.