Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Whilst we need to keep a mind on the light at the end of the tunnel as it were. We also need to keep our eye on the reality of the virus. It is still with us, it's not controlled or going away at present. Of course we can live with hope. (And we will overcome this pandemic) But we also have to live with the fact that it is still with us, without a cure.
    The threat is real. We need to all act in a sensible manner to overcome this.

I have been acting in a sensible manner in regards to this virus. I'm just not going to fall into a rabbit hole when it comes to following the news. We can't physically do anything to dispel / destroy the virus (apart from physical distancing) so keeping up with the news only helps things to a certain extent. I'm not ignoring the situation by any means but you need to focus your mind on other, healthier things as well. That's what I'm doing.

By all means, if that works for you. Everyone has differing ways in which to deal with this pandemic. I hear and read a multitude of comments and conspiracy theories concerning the corona virus on a daily basis. Everyone seems to have an opinion.
    I remain concerned about the threat, choosing to self isolate as much as I can. I believe the less interaction with people I can have, then hopefully the less the threat of the virus will be. Everyday we're given new information both good and bad. We have to decide how we will use this. It's an ever evolving scenario we have to deal with.

I think the media are worrying us on purpose -which is a lot different to saying they're worrying us unnecessarily. I think if they were to say "look, the chances of a healthy person dying from this are pretty low", then people simply wouldn't self isolate. To effect a change there has to be a threat, you have to make people stop and think.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Benny wrote: »
    Whilst we need to keep a mind on the light at the end of the tunnel as it were. We also need to keep our eye on the reality of the virus. It is still with us, it's not controlled or going away at present. Of course we can live with hope. (And we will overcome this pandemic) But we also have to live with the fact that it is still with us, without a cure.
    The threat is real. We need to all act in a sensible manner to overcome this.

This is exactly it, @Benny! We can remain positive about defeating the threat whilst also acknowledging the damage that threat is doing. Common sense, really!

+1
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Apart from indulging in Everything Bondian, whether Movie, Novel or Score, etc. I also watch Tom & Jerry, just to keep my heart light in this Topsy-Turvy Period....but part of me can't help but think about the Virus. The Virus is suddenly the most popular public figure right now....which isn't nice. Sometimes, I even forget other Diseases existed before this Virus....that's how dominant the Virus has become. The Good News is, we'll suddenly find life getting back to normal. I don't think there'll be a formal announcement that the Virus is no more. The Numbers will slowly reduce & the Virus will leave without us even noticing.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The situation in New-York is now deteriorating fast, with 600 deaths recorded in the past 24 hours. A total of 2,900 New-Yorkers have died since the outbreak began.
  • I think the media are worrying us on purpose -which is a lot different to saying they're worrying us unnecessarily. I think if they were to say "look, the chances of a healthy person dying from this are pretty low", then people simply wouldn't self isolate. To effect a change there has to be a threat, you have to make people stop and think.

Yes, but there has to be a limit to that. As I've said Channel 4 News in the UK are especially doom-mongering in their tone. At least once a week they do a 90 minute slot purely about the virus (you'd think that all other news subjects have vanished) and get extremely detailed about subjects such as ventilators for at least 5 minutes on end. How much of this information does the general public actually really need and how much of it is just getting people unnecessarily stressed or depressed? I used to watch their 7pm slot every week day because they covered the news in more detail than the BBC but now I just can't because everything is covered in such a negative, pessimistic, apocalyptic tone. I think 99.9% of us get the message by this point.
    There is a certain percentage of the population who don't have the mental strength or discipline to follow the guidelines in the medium term. They are looking for an excuse to go out. (Sunday will be a nightmare in the South East) By focussing on death, the gov (via the media) keep that ellement of fear up. The last thing we need at the moment is stuff like "most people recover" , "worrying too much" etc etc, we are giving people the excuse they are looking for to breach the guidelines. "Project fear" was a bit of a politcal joke within the Brexit debate. It's now deadly serious IMHO.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Italy has recorded 4,586 new cases and 766 new deaths today, bringing their totals to 119,827 confirmed cases and 14,681 fatalities.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Italy has recorded 4,586 new cases and 766 new deaths today, bringing their totals to 119,827 confirmed cases and 14,681 fatalities.

I'm very grateful to live where I live.
  • shamanimal wrote: »
    For many of the people that died the virus was a Moore YOLT leg-kick. In other words, they were teetering on the edge anyway.

Working on the assumption that an occasional Bond-related post is welcome here along with the stats and arguments against even posting stats..... I'm afraid you attribute that Moore leg-kick to the wrong movie. I suspect you meant to attribute it to FYEO (which is by no means boring.)

Thanks, all -- carry on.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343

I'm very grateful to live where I live.

You can say that! The numbers are terrifying, especially since half of them come from the very same region, which is ironically Lombardy one of the richest in all Europe...

Speaking about myself I wouldn't change living here (Italy, Lombardy, surprise!) with any country in the world. COVID will pass - hopefully without hurting people I love - Italy will still remain the most beautiful, romantic and gastronomically wonderful. :D

I just hope this tsunami will force italians to rethink a lot of things that genuinely didn't/don't work. For example, in the last 10 years Italy cut 50.000 jobs within the health system. Smart move...
    Working on the assumption that an occasional Bond-related post is welcome here along with the stats and arguments against even posting stats..... I'm afraid you attribute that Moore leg-kick to the wrong movie. I suspect you meant to attribute it to FYEO (which is by no means boring.)

Thanks, all -- carry on.

That's not the first time I've confused those two either!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    matt_u wrote: »
    Italy will still remain the most beautiful, romantic and gastronomically wonderful. :D
    This will never change.

I just hope this tsunami will force italians to rethink a lot of things that genuinely didn't/don't work. For example, in the last 10 years Italy cut 50.000 jobs within the health system. Smart move...
    I did not know that...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No way.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Everybody needs to take care of themselves, in the best way they can, conscientiously aware of infection going undetected for many days - so do protect others too by social distancing and other good health practices. We are in this for the long haul, no mistake about that.

Of course we hope for some preventative meds, to ward off the horrible reaction many people's immune systems have, going into hyper mode and killing the person once the terrible pneumonia has started. There is hope that meds will be made available (I believe in clinical trials now) to stop that reaction ... thereby giving vulnerable people (like me, yes) hope that IF we get this virus, we can survive it. That is months away, but I believe sooner than the vaccine.

Vaccine is 12 to 18 months away, and even if a bit sooner, that is a big chunk of time for those of us who cannot fully self isolate. I cannot. I am praying our school is closed, but it is not likely at all. If closed, we get (by law) 60% of our salary and I can exist on that. But our school's policy is that we close ONLY if one staff or student gets confirmed as having the virus. There is not much testing being done ... and anyway, that is far too late. All staff would be at high risk of infection at that point. Our school is also a daycare, so we are mandated to be open while other schools are closed.

If I quit, I get zero income. I live with two dear friends (elderly, vulnerable, but retired). I cannot control every aspect of their lives to ensure they take all proper precautions (but they do care and are trying).

So you see, each of us has our own unique world to deal with. I am thankful children are not easily infected. I am thankful for mandatory lockdowns happening in so many places, areas where I have friends and family. I am thankful scientists are working round the clock, in so many countries, to help us.

But the seriousness of this virus - there is no cure, no vaccine yet, no preventative meds help yet) - should not be downplayed. Or brushed aside. Maybe for you personally you are in a "safer" category. But surely someone you know, within your circle of family or friends, is not so "safe." Spring breakers on holiday, people cavorting in any crowds, golfing with buddies, all those dangerous things are boosting the virus, add a fan to the flames. We must each make choices every day and stay conscientious. Please.

Keep posting positive things, yes. But also keep the reality of this virus, it's lethality to those vulnerable (and a % of very healthy folks, too) front and center. We cannot relax. We cannot afford to become lax. We must have good, consistent vigilance and share facts as much as possible. Conspiracy theories and rumours will only get worse as more people die and govts - and medical facilities and health care workers - get overwhelmed.

Take good care, every day. I won't be on here often. I fill my days with a segment of news reading then I turn to other things that keep me sane, hopeful, and enjoying my life. Every day is a gift. I knew that, but it has hit home now more than ever, of course.
    "I am thankful children are not easily infected." ??
    It has shown, @patb, that children (as a group) are not getting sick from this virus in great numbers. Some people downplay the virus because of that. This usually comes up when comparing this virus to the flu (but we have a vaccine for the flu); yes, lots of kids still get the flu. But this virus is not devastating to most children, which is great (yet some people use it as a bit of an argument).
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,600
    The severity of the symptoms and "not easily infected" are completly different things. It actually means we have to be more careful when around kids because they can be infected (and therefore, spread the virus) but not showing any (or very light) symtoms. If children had some sort of immunity to infection, then, wow, but Iv'e not seen that. Sorry to be picky as I agree with most of your post.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think one thing we can do is that, if our own wages are not being affected, we should continue to pay anyone under our own personal employ (housekeeper, gardener, secretary, personal assistant, cook, etc.) even when they are being compelled to stay at home and not fulfill their duties, and not hold it over them as any future debt of time or payback.

That is very reasonable, indeed, @Birdleson. And the humane thing to do.
    Well I did say children not easily infected, which is apparently true (did not say totally immune but the #s of infected children are considerably lower). It could be much, much worse.

Yes, of course whatever employers can do to help is so important, @Birdleson.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    As of yesterday we are recording 5,000 deaths per day worldwide. It took 84 days to go from 1 fatality to 50,000 fatalities. It will take 10 days to go from 50,000 to 100,000 deaths.

Sadly, the exponential growth of the death-toll is still increasing. We won’t reach 100,000 deaths 10 days after reaching 50,000 deaths, but 8 days after (on April 10th). And this is the best case scenario, as it is likely it can take as little as 7 days to double those 50,000 fatalities.

So . . . they want to use Africans as . . . what, specimen in a petri dish? Is that it?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Anyone remembers the swine flu vaccine? All the governments in the world bought huge amounts of it, and then the virus mutated and they had to just destroy the whole stockpile as it was worthless.

As for economic loss these days, all of those who profit enormously from this crisis should be extra taxed, and this revenue should be redistributed to aid the weakest among those who have lost their income.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think one thing we can do is that, if our own wages are not being affected, we should continue to pay anyone under our own personal employ (housekeeper, gardener, secretary, personal assistant, cook, etc.) even when they are being compelled to stay at home and not fulfill their duties, and not hold it over them as any future debt of time or payback.

That's a really nice thought @Birdleson .
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2020 Posts: 6,788
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Italy will still remain the most beautiful, romantic and gastronomically wonderful. :D
    This will never change.

True words. My adoration for Italy is limitless.

GoldenGun wrote: »
    This will never change.

Hear, hear. Best place on earth, always will be.
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DRush76 wrote: »

So . . . they want to use Africans as . . . what, specimen in a petri dish? Is that it?

That video is sad.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Univex wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    This will never change.

Hear, hear. Best place on earth, always will be.

+1