Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    The problem with comparing recovery of UK with China and Italy is that people were far less prepared, because it was a new disease. Corona has only been in UK a few weeks and already there is basically shutdown. Another few months and the rate will decline. The mistake was letting it in the first place, but now we have more hospitals pledged, there is no need for people make a catastrophe out of things. It doesn't do to spread depression and fear in people. As long as people follow the guidelines, as most are, things will resolve soon. Just focus on safety and staying rational rather than panic.

2 weeks after this post, the UK has recorded 708 deaths today, up from 684 deaths yesterday, 569 deaths on Thursday and 563 deaths on Wednesday. The UK had 56 deaths total when @Mendes4Lyfe posted that message above, now the UK has 4,313 fatalities total (which is 1,000 more than China's total). Their total amount of confirmed cases went from 5,018 on March 21st to 41,908 as of today.

May this be an example to not downplay the seriousness of the coronavirus pandemic around the world.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    The problem with comparing recovery of UK with China and Italy is that people were far less prepared, because it was a new disease. Corona has only been in UK a few weeks and already there is basically shutdown. Another few months and the rate will decline. The mistake was letting it in the first place, but now we have more hospitals pledged, there is no need for people make a catastrophe out of things. It doesn't do to spread depression and fear in people. As long as people follow the guidelines, as most are, things will resolve soon. Just focus on safety and staying rational rather than panic.

2 weeks after this post, the UK has recorded 708 deaths today, up from 684 deaths yesterday, 569 deaths on Thursday and 563 deaths on Wednesday. The UK had 56 deaths total when @Mendes4Lyfe posted that message above, now the UK has 4,313 fatalities total (which is 1,000 more than China's total). Their total amount of confirmed cases went from 5,018 on March 21st to 41,908 as of today.

May this be an example to not downplay the seriousness of the coronavirus pandemic around the world.

Please do not feed the troll.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I couldn t see any trolling in that post.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Very important. Thank you, @DaltonCraig007
    edited April 2020 Posts: 3,497
    I couldn t see any trolling in that post.

Just my usual reaction whenever I see Mendes4lyfe popping up.

Sorry. :)>-
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    An elderly couple leaving hospital in Murcia, Spain after beating the coronavirus.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Thank you.
    An elderly couple leaving hospital in Murcia, Spain after beating the coronavirus.

Amazing. Great to see these slivers of triumph.
    My investment is down $10000 and my salary is being slashed down to 80% thanks to this virus...Is any ine else being financially hit by this pandemic? Tell us about it?

I have some friends who are rejighing their machines to produce masks so I hear some are actually making a pretty nice penny out of this for their troubles...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

God bless them, thank you for sharing.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,247
    Nice, Good News....no matter how small would suffice in this eerie time. Utopia is a few months away.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    JamesCraig wrote: »

How is Aidan Turner doing? ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    GlamSlam wrote: »
    My investment is down $10000 and my salary is being slashed down to 80% thanks to this virus...Is any ine else being financially hit by this pandemic? Tell us about it?

I have some friends who are rejighing their machines to produce masks so I hear some are actually making a pretty nice penny out of this for their troubles...

Was laid off like many others, but both provincially and federally, there are benefits being offered that should keep us afloat while we ride out the pandemic.
    echo wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »

How is Aidan Turner doing? ;)

Good, thank you. ;)
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 2,896
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    True words. My adoration for Italy is limitless.

I have visited Italy three times in the past five years, and every visit has left me eager to return.
    I hope that southern Italy will not suffer even more from the virus than Lombardy, since it has a more vulnerable economy and infrastructure.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Only the damage on their bodies in long term lung troubles has yet to be ascertained, from what I have heard so far recovered from Corona does not necessarily mean 100% recovered.

It's just a rumour, too soon to say that.

It is a disease that attacks the lungs hence the issue with the ventilators, so the lung damage contracted with this disease is not likely to go away overnight. The few people I have seen on TV "recovered" from the Corona ordeal after a stay at the IC just said they had some damage to their lungs they hoped would become better with time.

So much for the rumour aspect.

If you follow the FOX news than anything is a rumour. ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited April 2020 Posts: 17,691
    Only the damage on their bodies in long term lung troubles has yet to be ascertained, from what I have heard so far recovered from Corona does not necessarily mean 100% recovered.

It is a disease that attacks the lungs hence the issue with the ventilators, so the lung damage contracted with this disease is not likely to go away overnight. The few people I have seen on TV "recovered" from the Corona ordeal after a stay at the IC just said they had some damage to their lungs they hoped would become better with time.

Yeah, THIS. From what I've read, lung damage will vary, but you need a ventilator, you WILL have it to at least some degree.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'v never been. My plan was to finally spend some time there summer of '21, but who knows at this point.

I'm cautiously optimistic that a vaccine will have been developed by then, not only for your sake (and I hope you will have a fantastic vacation!) but also for Italy's economy. I'm hoping to go back in 2021 for the Pordenone silent film festival.

• edited April 2020 Posts: 2,896
    It looks like masks might become mandatory in some areas. In case you can't find them in stores, here are instructions on how to make a No-Sew Pleated Face Mask with Handkerchief and Hair Tie.

Unfortunately I have only one hair tie in my apartment (how it got there I don't know) and the instructions require two, so I'm going to use my scarf as a face cover, even if it makes me look like a bank robber. As long as you're covering your nose and mouth and have tied the covering in position, you have fulfilled the requirements.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2020 Posts: 23,376
    We are issued masks at work to use when required, though I have ordered personally some KN95 masks which are an alternative to N95 masks which are very difficult to get hold of.

KN95 masks after doing research I found are not being shipped to certain country's due to not been previously tested, though the KN95 masks are used in China, they are available in the UK.
    You going with anyone?

Haven't planned that far ahead, but company is always welcome.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    GlamSlam wrote: »

What industry are you in @GlamSlam ?
    I don't think you're the only one who's being affected financially though.
    As far as making a 'pretty nice penny' most countries have a policy that people not be profiteering from this pandemic. We're all in the same boat here. At least most of us are.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Not to be a complete jerk, but they’re going ahead with our planned raise through all of this where I work. That’s why I’m helping who I can.

That's great, congrats! Nice of you to use it to think of ways you can help others.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Interesting, Most have recovered from the virus and appear to be normal. But we have to wait and see how long it will take to be declared they are completely free from virus, that's why i said it's too soon.

Nevertheless, According to the Leader Board of Hong Kong Hospital, they monitored a group of 12 Covid-19 patients. The result showed that two or three in this group had impaired lung function. The lung functions of those patients declined by 20% to 30% after recovery. Fortunately, this condition can be improved if the patients do lung capacity enhancement exercises regularly.
    The US Biotechnology Information Center has carried out some experiments on it, they concluded that there was up to 17 percent of 99 coronavirus patients suffering from Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS). If those patients have acute pneumonia, their lungs cannot provide important organs with enough oxygen. When Covid-19 enters the human lungs, it caused inflammation in the lung’s mucous membrane. Then, the mucous from nearby blood vessels enter the alveolar sacs in the lungs, making it harder to breathe. Hence, it takes coronavirus patients about 6 months to 15 years for complete lung recovery after get out of this deadly virus. Still people who have been affected with permanent lung damage are 15-20% .

BTW is there any news channel left who doesn't try to frighten people? :D
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not to be a complete jerk, but they’re going ahead with our planned raise through all of this where I work. That’s why I’m helping who I can.

That's a fantastic way to act in the face of this pandemic @Birdleson and I feel very lucky to call you a friend.
    Selfless acts and a strong attitude are for me something that keeps me going. Little positives go a long way and you my friend are going all out.
    @Birdleson That's a very brave & selfless act, sir. ^:)^
    Good man, @Birdleson. I echo the above sentiments. Very selfless.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    That's a nice thing to do, Mr. @Birdleson.
    My compliments.