Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi You are a genius. Since Trump wanted to get rid of hurricanes by nuking them before they reach US coastlines, maybe we can fill missiles with a concentrated dose of Covid-19 and shoot hurricanes with these. 2 birds, one stone. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The reproduction rate of the virus in Germany has increased to 1.1, only days after the lockdown was lifted.

Coronavirus infections increase exponentially if the reproduction rate is above 1.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52604676

The reproduction rate of the virus in Germany has increased to 1.1, only days after the lockdown was lifted.

Coronavirus infections increase exponentially if the reproduction rate is above 1.

Not surprising. No bets allowed for whether Germany goes back under lockdown again within the next couple of weeks.
    And there are some people ho have been forgotten :

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/05/08/stuck-on-cruise-ships-during-pandemic-crews-beg-to-go-home/

I don't envy them.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DarthDimi You are a genius. Since Trump wanted to get rid of hurricanes by nuking them before they reach US coastlines, maybe we can fill missiles with a concentrated dose of Covid-19 and shoot hurricanes with these. 2 birds, one stone. ;)

Good one, @DaltonCraig007. Nuke hurricanes, build a wall, deadly virus = liberal hoax. Yes, the world's "greatest nation" is in very good hands indeed. ;-)

This I find very frightening. We're starting to see second-wave issues develop everywhere. Once again, suspending lockdown measures too soon, whatever one's concerns about the economy and whatnot, is a fool's game.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,985
    Thrasos wrote: »
    I'm really glad we here in the U.S. are gradually getting back to normal. Just in the last few days, two counties here in the L.A. area have lifted some health orders, saying people don't have to wear masks anymore--thank God--I only wear one when I'm ordered to and not when I'm walking outside or jogging. It seems people in Asia don't mind wearing them, but I think they're un-American. Also glad some beaches here have reopened, but we need to reopen all of them.

I think officials and people in general need to get over their fear and reopen, go back to normal. Yes, definitely protect the elderly and those most at risk. For all of us, social distancing and washing hands. I also really admire the protesters here in the U.S. and in other countries. Health experts and government officials have their place. But they do not always know better than "We the people" about how to live, and we will fight for our freedom. We don't always need government telling us what to do. Government is supposed to work for us, the people. And it's my opinion that some of these politicians are using the crisis for their advantage and their ego trips.

Dude, you can't go "back to normal" and "protect the elderly" at the same time.

Stay home and stop watching Fox News, which, quite literally, might get you killed by encouraging you to ignore the facts about this pandemic.
    I'm really glad we here in the U.S. are gradually getting back to normal. Just in the last few days, two counties here in the L.A. area have lifted some health orders, saying people don't have to wear masks anymore--thank God--I only wear one when I'm ordered to and not when I'm walking outside or jogging. It seems people in Asia don't mind wearing them, but I think they're un-American. Also glad some beaches here have reopened, but we need to reopen all of them.

I think officials and people in general need to get over their fear and reopen, go back to normal. Yes, definitely protect the elderly and those most at risk. For all of us, social distancing and washing hands. I also really admire the protesters here in the U.S. and in other countries. Health experts and government officials have their place. But they do not always know better than "We the people" about how to live, and we will fight for our freedom. We don't always need government telling us what to do. Government is supposed to work for us, the people. And it's my opinion that some of these politicians are using the crisis for their advantage and their ego trips.

I'm fairly sure heath experts--re-read the word, please--do know better, @Thrasos. That's because they spent years in college studying viruses, then many more years in labs or in the field experimenting with and on viruses, meanwhile also studying the dynamics of pandemics and whatnot. The only two or three people I've so far spoken with who also feel like "experts" don't always know better, were confusing viruses with bacteria, vaccines with cures and mouth masks with perfect protection. Yeah, I'm pretty confident the experts do know better than "we the people" about how to live in these times. The rest, who can't tell an atom from a molecule or a virus from a bacterium, would do well to listen to expert advice.
    we will fight for our freedom

Because, we aren't free at the moment? Temporarily obeying rules installed for our protection is now the equivalent of being deprived of our freedom? I guess we're also free to ignore red lights in traffic, then. We can also fight for our freedom to ignore rules about barbequing inside the house, or not smoking near infants, or drunk driving? I think you've got your freedom confused with something absolute, something that cannot exist in an organised society.

Fight for your freedom all you want. Just don't complain when Corona hits you hard, or if you, in turn, infect loved ones who may not survive, or who spend the rest of their lives with lung and kidney problems. A valued member of this forum recently lost his two parents to Corona. They got it from working hard to treat other Corona patients. Yet you want beaches re-opened, "normal life" to return. In other words, you want to create the perfect recipe for a second wave, you want to turn your country into a fertile petri dish for another infection explosion. Like those Spring Break idiots who ended up on IC, some of whom never left?

You do understand that the essence of "social distancing" is to avoid all unnecessary contact with others, don't you? Tell me how that will be possible when beaches re-open, we all start commuting again, stores re-open, theatres re-open, ...?

It's funny how this thing works. When terrorists strike, people complain that the powers that be don't do what it takes to avoid such unforeseeable tragedies. Yet now, when we're dealing with something that has already claimed many more lives than 9/11 and is already preparing for a second wave, people WANT to ignore the very simple and effective rules we have to keep us safe. In order to do so without remorse, they "invent" reasons and distort their logic. "Experts, huh, what do they know?" "The government should be working for us, not the other way around." "I'm free to go and do what I want." Half of that is stupidity and ignorance, the other just stubbornness and egocentricity. "I want to see my friends, I want to go to the beach, ..." Yes, it's the "I WANT" that clouds people's logic and puts many lives at stake. Or have the hundreds of thousands of dead Corona victims absolutely no persuasive powers?
    Sadly, the only thing that would make most Americans understand the gravity of the situation, and I pray it won't come to that, is for the 2020 US Presidential election to be postponed indefinitely if the situation degrades too much by September/October. It is still too early to know, but I think that in a couple months, such a decision to delay the Presidential election could become a very real possibility.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2020 Posts: 23,395
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    A potentially troubling new twist to the COVID-19 situation in the US.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/health/mysterious-coronavirus-illness-claims-3-children-in-new-york.html

To quote:
    The syndrome, a toxic-shock-like inflammation that affects the skin, the eyes, blood vessels and the heart, can leave children seriously ill, with some patients requiring mechanical ventilation. Many of the symptoms bear some resemblance to a rare childhood illness called Kawasaki disease, which can lead to inflammation of the blood vessels, especially the coronary arteries.

Until now, parents and public health experts had found some solace in the notion that the coronavirus and the disease it causes, Covid-19, largely spared children the worst effects of an illness that has claimed more than 21,000 lives in New York State alone. But any sense of relief was shattered this week when a 5-year-old in New York City died from the syndrome, which doctors described as a “pediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome.”
    Dwayne wrote: »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/health/mysterious-coronavirus-illness-claims-3-children-in-new-york.html

To quote:
    The syndrome, a toxic-shock-like inflammation that affects the skin, the eyes, blood vessels and the heart, can leave children seriously ill, with some patients requiring mechanical ventilation. Many of the symptoms bear some resemblance to a rare childhood illness called Kawasaki disease, which can lead to inflammation of the blood vessels, especially the coronary arteries.

Until now, parents and public health experts had found some solace in the notion that the coronavirus and the disease it causes, Covid-19, largely spared children the worst effects of an illness that has claimed more than 21,000 lives in New York State alone. But any sense of relief was shattered this week when a 5-year-old in New York City died from the syndrome, which doctors described as a “pediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome.”

Wow, let's hope that this is a fairly unique phenomenon and not something that will claim many more victims.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Dwayne wrote: »

To quote:

Terrible to hear... here in Italy the news about a potential correlation between Covid and Kawasaki popped up like 11 days ago...
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

I'm fairly sure heath experts--re-read the word, please--do know better, @Thrasos. That's because they spent years in college studying viruses, then many more years in labs or in the field experimenting with and on viruses, meanwhile also studying the dynamics of pandemics and whatnot. The only two or three people I've so far spoken with who also feel like "experts" don't always know better, were confusing viruses with bacteria, vaccines with cures and mouth masks with perfect protection. Yeah, I'm pretty confident the experts do know better than "we the people" about how to live in these times. The rest, who can't tell an atom from a molecule or a virus from a bacterium, would do well to listen to expert advice.

Because, we aren't free at the moment? Temporarily obeying rules installed for our protection is now the equivalent of being deprived of our freedom? I guess we're also free to ignore red lights in traffic, then. We can also fight for our freedom to ignore rules about barbequing inside the house, or not smoking near infants, or drunk driving? I think you've got your freedom confused with something absolute, something that cannot exist in an organised society.

Fight for your freedom all you want. Just don't complain when Corona hits you hard, or if you, in turn, infect loved ones who may not survive, or who spend the rest of their lives with lung and kidney problems. A valued member of this forum recently lost his two parents to Corona. They got it from working hard to treat other Corona patients. Yet you want beaches re-opened, "normal life" to return. In other words, you want to create the perfect recipe for a second wave, you want to turn your country into a fertile petri dish for another infection explosion. Like those Spring Break idiots who ended up on IC, some of whom never left?

You do understand that the essence of "social distancing" is to avoid all unnecessary contact with others, don't you? Tell me how that will be possible when beaches re-open, we all start commuting again, stores re-open, theatres re-open, ...?

It's funny how this thing works. When terrorists strike, people complain that the powers that be don't do what it takes to avoid such unforeseeable tragedies. Yet now, when we're dealing with something that has already claimed many more lives than 9/11 and is already preparing for a second wave, people WANT to ignore the very simple and effective rules we have to keep us safe. In order to do so without remorse, they "invent" reasons and distort their logic. "Experts, huh, what do they know?" "The government should be working for us, not the other way around." "I'm free to go and do what I want." Half of that is stupidity and ignorance, the other just stubbornness and egocentricity. "I want to see my friends, I want to go to the beach, ..." Yes, it's the "I WANT" that clouds people's logic and puts many lives at stake. Or have the hundreds of thousands of dead Corona victims absolutely no persuasive powers?

Thanks, @DarthDimi. Especially the stuff about "freedom." Every time I hear some of these...people...bleat about losing their "freedom" I am reminded of a lyric by Frank Zappa: "Free is when you don't have to pay for nothing or do nothing, we want to be Free!"
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    I don't understand you Americans. Why can't you just drink your lockdown angst away, like the Irish? :))
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Thanks, @DarthDimi. Especially the stuff about "freedom." Every time I hear some of these...people...bleat about losing their "freedom" I am reminded of a lyric by Frank Zappa: "Free is when you don't have to pay for nothing or do nothing, we want to be Free!"

When I hear them talk about their freedoms in such a way, it makes me feel sad for how terrified they are. Terrified they may lose their freedoms, terrified for their fragile way of life, terrified the government is going to come take their stuff, terrified their neighbor has a bigger gun than they do...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Agent_One wrote: »
    I don't understand you Americans. Why can't you just drink your lockdown angst away, like the Irish? :))

What may work with Tullamore Dew or Bushmills or something more exquisite...doesn't necessarily work with Mountain Dew. Or Kool-Aid.
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited May 2020 Posts: 280
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

What may work with Tullamore Dew or Bushmills or something more exquisite...doesn't necessarily work with Mountain Dew. Or Kool-Aid.

I guess that's the reason Guinness is popular in the US. All their own drinks are crap!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

I guess that's the reason Guinness is popular in the US. All their own drinks are crap!

I wouldn't go that far. I'm not going to defend their standard so-called beer, but a few of their whiskies (bourbon, rye) are quite enjoyable (not to mention some of their wines). It's just that most seem to prefer those sugary soft drinks. Not saying they are more detrimental to one's overall health (except teeth and maybe weight) than whisk(e)y, but the latter is far more satisfying. And does make one forget when the dose is right.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Facts: The curve has been flattened in a lot of places so hospitals are not overrun.
    Fact: you know not of what you speak. Taking your President's example?

I wouldn't go that far. I'm not going to defend their standard so-called beer, but a few of their whiskies (bourbon, rye) are quite enjoyable (not to mention some of their wines). It's just that most seem to prefer those sugary soft drinks. Not saying they are more detrimental to one's overall health (except teeth and maybe weight) than whisk(e)y, but the latter is far more satisfying. And does make one forget when the dose is right.

As a Canadian, I must ask what American Ryes you'd recommend? There are some nice bourbons that come out of the country, and I believe the conventional spelling for American creations is 'whiskey'. Generally 'whisky' is reserved for Canadian and Scottish whiskies.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Facts: The curve has been flattened in a lot of places so hospitals are not overrun.
    Fact: you know not of what you speak. Taking your President's example?
    Okay. But that video was from March 27th. And that's in Michigan. Today the Detroit Free Press says "The state health department reported the lowest number of single-day deaths since March 29 Sunday, with 25 deaths reported, bringing the state total to 4,551, according to data from the state. The number of Michiganders affected by the novel coronavirus continues to increase..."
    So yes, at least the death curve has flattened there. Many other parts of the U.S. are ahead of Michigan in flattening the curve. Some are not--I hear New York is still pretty bad. I do say as many others do that nurses like that one, all nurses and doctors treating the virus, are heroes who deserve praise. However, for the vast majority of us, Covid-19 is not a death sentence. Incidentally, I also read today that Michigan factories can reopen tomorrow--great news for people who've been stuck at home and need money to pay bills, rents, mortgage payments.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 7,653
    Covid-19 is the death sentence for the world as we know it, pharmaceutical concerns should be nationalized and put to work to develop cures for all know diseases and not the only ones that make a buck, healthcare should not be for profit but actually heal people. That is the lesson we should take away from this.

Health specialist are known by that name for a reason, they know about stuff like viruses which do not have to do with anything like doing vitamins or practicing a health live-style a virus can kick your behind with the most healthy life-style, it attacks your auto immune system which you cannot train really.

About freedom, you have every freedom of the world even if you are asked to stay at home or practice social distancing, you are not locked up. If you force people to work in unhealthy conditions you might find out they get sick under the current situation and even die, the covid-19 targets the elderly but also the younger population if they got some weakness in their immune system. It is a bit like Amazon gambling with their personal in favor of major profits all in the name of the mighty buck/euro/yen/ whatever.

This time people get sick and might die, your friends or family, because their is currently nothing to battle this disease not even a disinfectant like some clown asked, and he is a flipping leader. If he cannot come up with an answer for that question before he put it out there he is not fit to run anything, but he I did not chose him but we get indirect the consequences from this so-called leader of the free world.

We are a long way of from a medical breakthrough according the experts, they received schooling most of certainly did not. So perhaps the so-called defenders for freedom should shut up and think about the consequences and/or should have finished their schooling so they actually could participate in a discussion based upon facts and not presumptions of ideas flaunted on Facebook.

We are in the shitter for many reasons but capitalism is certainly one of them. I wonder what Covid-20 will bring us.

P.S. I am not aiming this at Americans there are plenty of morons all over the world who underestimate this virus.

As a Canadian, I must ask what American Ryes you'd recommend? There are some nice bourbons that come out of the country, and I believe the conventional spelling for American creations is 'whiskey'. Generally 'whisky' is reserved for Canadian and Scottish whiskies.

You are right that I should have spelled it "whiskeys" where only the American products are concerned, of course. It's been a while since I actually ordered some from my favourite mail-order place...since I came to the conclusion that if I have whisk(e)y (this goes for Scotch as well), I'll probably drink it. And I decided that I wanted to keep the temptation down somewhat.

I may not even remember the exact "vintage" (or what one would call the variety here), but I've had some very tasty stuff from Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek. Then again, the real good stuff may be outside my desired price range.

Though I guess it's not exactly a coronavirus issue.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs
    I wonder what people value most: the illusion of absolute freedom or a society that can actually function. For let us make no mistake, if we allow wave after wave to hit us, this thing might take years before we go back to normalcy. At that point, the country is bankrupt, a barren wasteland of hopelessness from which it will also recover, but much more slowly. And the death toll will be enormous. If, however, we can sit this one out just a little longer, and don't suspend lockdown measures until people who understand pandemics say so, we might be able to re-open soon enough and with a much better chance to fence off a second wave.

I understand that it's hard. I understand that people need their jobs, that they need to make money. A good government finds ways to help those people. But hanging out with pals, going to the beach, the local pub, the movie theatre... all of those things can wait. Group immunity is terribly disappointing. Best case, we return to where we were in January. That, however, also means that a few careless cases are all it would take to start this routine all over again. Only an extremely cynical person would want to risk another full lockdown for a few precious minutes of "freedom".
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 3,564

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs
    I wonder what people value most: the illusion of absolute freedom or a society that can actually function.

I'll take both please: a society that can actually function WITH the illusion of absolute freedom. I'm an American, I don't have to choose.

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs
    I wonder what people value most: the illusion of absolute freedom or a society that can actually function.

I'll take both please: a society that can actually function WITH the illusion of absolute freedom. I'm an American, I don't have to choose.

I think it depends on the colour of your skin; it seems in America the illusion of absolute freedom dissipates pretty quickly if you aren't white.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs

I think it depends on the colour of your skin; it seems in America the illusion of absolute freedom dissipates pretty quickly if you aren't white.

Sadly, I agree.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 616
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 2,436
    Okay, so in England the message has gone from 'Stay at Home' to 'Stay Alert'. I.e. gentle prodding to get people back in work. Apparently the government was surprised by how literally people took 'Stay at Home' (there has actually been no restriction on going to work if you can't work from home) but then offers widely a furlough scheme paying 80% of wages. Employers aren't going to ask their staff who are furloughed due to not being able to do their work from home to come in to work whilst the government is paying their wages.
    Escalus5 wrote: »

I wasn't saying anything about our own shameful history; the topic was Americans and the illusion of absolute freedom.