The Girls' Room

Comments

Germanlady wrote:
    Going by the conversation, I just had with 4EverBonded, who is female, I thought, there might be more of us after all. Apart from Sandy, who else is female? In this mens world, it might be nice to have a space on our own :)>-

Hi just rejoined, been a Bond fan for about 33 years, got my 007 logo tattoo done this year, nice to meet you, Roger Moore was my first crush at 13 started the books then too, to my families disgust, today Craig and Dalton are my favourite Bonds though I have favourite films, from all era's.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    holothane wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Going by the conversation, I just had with 4EverBonded, who is female, I thought, there might be more of us after all. Apart from Sandy, who else is female? In this mens world, it might be nice to have a space on our own :)>-

Hi just rejoined, been a Bond fan for about 33 years, got my 007 logo tattoo done this year, nice to meet you, Roger Moore was my first crush at 13 started the books then too, to my families disgust, today Craig and Dalton are my favourite Bonds though I have favourite films, from all era's.

Welcome back! Wow, 007 logo tattoo? So cool. I wish I would get an octopussy one if I could.
    Why was your crush on Moore to your families disgust? Anyway good actor choices indeed.
    I was a teenager and obessed with Bond, It didn't go down to well, today its easier me being much older now, 46 this year, luckily my second husband loves the films as well, mind its me whose the one with soundtracks all of them the gunmetal case with the dvds in, huge present for my 40th, as for Skyfall, I can't wait, oh go and get that tattoo.
    holothane wrote:
    I was a teenager and obessed with Bond, It didn't go down to well, today its easier me being much older now, 46 this year, luckily my second husband loves the films as well, mind its me whose the one with soundtracks all of them the gunmetal case with the dvds in, huge present for my 40th, as for Skyfall, I can't wait, oh go and get that tattoo.

My mother became 60 this year, she still suspires for Roger Moore (she's a fan of him since The Saint, she met Bond through the books first), and my father (husband of almost 40 years) is still a bit jealous. I have to add my father looked more than a bit like Moore when he was young so...

About the tattoo, can't get it. Apparently my skin heals too fast and a tattoo is basicallly scar tissue. It's a skin condition I have, genetic, with a lot of bad things and some good ones, including never getting scars! I had to get my years pierced 3 or 4 times (lost the count) just to be able to wear a pair of earing because the holes would heal and close everytime. So if I got the octopussy probably in a few days I would have a blob of ink that would eventually vanish into nothing.

Sandy wrote:
    holothane wrote:

About the tattoo, can't get it. Apparently my skin heals too fast and a tattoo is basicallly scar tissue. It's a skin condition I have, genetic, with a lot of bad things and some good ones, including never getting scars! I had to get my years pierced 3 or 4 times (lost the count) just to be able to wear a pair of earing because the holes would heal and close everytime. So if I got the octopussy probably in a few days I would have a blob of ink that would eventually vanish into nothing.

Sounds like the kind of interesting physical trait that a Bond hench(wo)man would have...you would never have to worry about identifying marks!
    Germanlady wrote:
    Going by the conversation, I just had with 4EverBonded, who is female, I thought, there might be more of us after all. Apart from Sandy, who else is female? In this mens world, it might be nice to have a space on our own

I'm curious as to what you ladies make of the demonization of Barbara Broccoli that happens in other threads...the fact that some men (boys?) are so angry at her for being a "bitch", "incompetent", "ruining Bond", and "shoving her feminist agenda down our throats!".

I guess I can understand some of the guys here being so jealous of how attractive women find Craig to be in his blue speedos (although instead of whining maybe they should just join a gym - it's not like there's a finite amount of fitness in the world and Craig has stolen their share of it). But the hatred of Babs just seems so...vicious. Do you ladies agree that she's ruining Bond? Do your feelings towards her run to the absolute anger that others have articulated? I'm genuinely curious about this.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Sandy wrote:
    holothane wrote:

My mother became 60 this year, she still suspires for Roger Moore (she's a fan of him since The Saint, she met Bond through the books first), and my father (husband of almost 40 years) is still a bit jealous. I have to add my father looked more than a bit like Moore when he was young so...

Wow, @Sandy. I don't mean to offend you, but that is awesome! I have never heard of that condition, but it sounds neat to say the least though. I am more a fan of scars though. They are a memory of a stupid decision or fun moment that you will always remember. Chicks supposedly dig them, so I keep that in mind. Gashes and bruises are fine, but a huge cut across the cheek like Bond has in the novels is unwelcome. :)
    I'm curious as to what you ladies make of the demonization of Barbara Broccoli that happens in other threads...the fact that some men (boys?) are so angry at her for being a "bitch", "incompetent", "ruining Bond", and "shoving her feminist agenda down our throats!".

I guess I can understand some of the guys here being so jealous of how attractive women find Craig to be in his blue speedos (although instead of whining maybe they should just join a gym - it's not like there's a finite amount of fitness in the world and Craig has stolen their share of it). But the hatred of Babs just seems so...vicious. Do you ladies agree that she's ruining Bond? Do your feelings towards her run to the absolute anger that others have articulated? I'm genuinely curious about this.

From what I read, there was one poster, who started with the "feminist agenda", but I didn't see that many agreements.
    Personally I Love Babs, because from what I read and saw about her, she is one hell of a nice, down to earth woman. Not saying, she doesn't fail at times, but overall, she is a f'''ing class act. Those, who are afraid of a man in womens clothes, should maybe question their believe in their own masculinity, because its not threatening Bonds image. From what I read about that vid, it was received overall very positiv. Some Bond fans have to grow up - literally, because many here are still quite young. Just this - if you are a MAN, nothing can threaten that, if you are insecure within your skin, everything will threaten that and it will show.
    hey guys and girls, how are you? was busy with my tests and the last one is on 17th, so after 17th, I'm in full-throttle Bond-fan-mode.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I just tried on my tuxedo for my school's prom, and let me assure you, I have never felt more like James Bond. I want to get a holster and replica PPK to carry with me, but I am sure that wouldn't end well. :)
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 no offence at all, but it's not a nice thing to have (the healing is just a sidenote), I don't like to talk about it much. I do have a scar, from chickenpox when I was little. A small scar is ok, even cool sometimes but big scars are not. Yesterday I sat next to a man on the bus whose head had a scar all the way around it (still a bit fresh), creepy. Made me think what might have happened to him
    Germanlady wrote:

From what I read, there was one poster, who started with the "feminist agenda", but I didn't see that many agreements.
    Personally I Love Babs, because from what I read and saw about her, she is one hell of a nice, down to earth woman. Not saying, she doesn't fail at times, but overall, she is a f'''ing class act. Those, who are afraid of a man in womens clothes, should maybe question their believe in their own masculinity, because its not threatening Bonds image. From what I read about that vid, it was received overall very positiv. Some Bond fans have to grow up - literally, because many here are still quite young. Just this - if you are a MAN, nothing can threaten that, if you are insecure within your skin, everything will threaten that and it will show.

Yeah, exactly. These discussions against Barbara are just stupid. Connery showed up a lot barechested back in the day, and in the books Bond shares a lot of skin! @Germanlady brilliant, where do I sign?
    The tone of this thread appears to have become stereotypically blokey!

I don't think Babs gets more vitriol than you might expect. I think what some people feel is that after Cubby died the series lost its way for a while and they blame her and MGW. However, I think most fans think that with DC, things are looking up a lot.

Some people here also seem to feel that Babs is pushing a 'feminist' agenda, particularly by giving M an ever more prominent and 'motherly' role. I sympathise with that view, but only with regard to M. Otherwise, I tend to think that the Bond girls who have been the most successful have been those who actually were a proper match for Bond. I think Pussy Galore and Vesper really stand out here - Honor Blackman and Eva Green both had fantastic chemistry and believability with their co-stars. So actually, strong women work better in Bond than the slightly dull eye-candy approach.
    FireSkull wrote:
    hey guys and girls, how are you? was busy with my tests and the last one is on 17th, so after 17th, I'm in full-throttle Bond-fan-mode.

So, today is the last day. How did it all go? I hope, we can raise a glass or two to your achievements. Let us know...

I just tried on my tuxedo for my school's prom, and let me assure you, I have never felt more like James Bond. I want to get a holster and replica PPK to carry with me, but I am sure that wouldn't end well. :)

Pic? Just proves, that clothes DO have an impact on how we feel. When is it. This Sat? Have fun.

So - we have a holiday, called Fathers Day, where mn are ALLOWED to have a good time :)) I think, it was worse in the past. Nowadays more and more choos to just spend it with their family and be, what the name says - a father..Anyway, to those, who have this holiday - have fun..
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

Honestly, I keep forgetting how bloody young you are. Anyway, have fun! :)
    Since we have some sort of extended weekend, I'd like to wish a nice one to everybody...
    Thanks - have a great weekend, all! I don't have an extended holiday weekend, but I will make the most of it anyway. Off to find a Donna Summer album even though cds are ridiculously expensive in Japan. RIP dear Donna.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690
    I find the claim that if we criticize the Women's day ad, we are insecure about ourselves to be utterly ridiculous and borderline absurd. So because I don't agree with that ad, which factually is depicting a Bond that is contrary to the original character, I am insecure about myself ? What utter crap. Going by this argument, anyone who likes the action scenes in the films are anti-pacifist and are bound to be violent in real life !

This argument is completly ridiculous.Just because you find LTK too violent doesn't mean you are a weak, pacifist person, just because you love 'John Rambo' doesn't mean you are going to frequently beat up people in real life.

Again the Craig loverboys still can't accept that people may criticize his Bond and films, and they find new rules and arguments on why Craig is too perfect to be criticized !! The Craig fans are truely getting more and more ridicule. Why can't you people accept that Craig can be criticized ? Where is it written that people can throw tons of vitriol at Brosnan, much to the agreement of many people here, but once someone criticizes Craig, that person must be decapitated ? Where is it written that the Women's Day ad is perfect and cannot be criticized ?

I wish some members here would start their own Craig fanclub, where only positive messages can be posted, while this website can return to being a place of discussions on all things James Bond, where every opinion are allowed.

It's almost as if some people think that having a negative opinion on Craig is like being a being a neo-nazi supporter or something..... or that being negative on Craig means you are insane, sick and mentally unstable. Sorry but if someone doesn't like Craig, it's perfectly normal and acceptable. There is no reason why any actor or film can only be loved... unless you live in North Korea that is. I'm sure some members here would love to be the president of a dictatorship, where they can whip anyone who doesn't follow the correct line of thinking.
    WOW - this shows, is surely hit a nerve or two. Just relax - its all good. I believe, you are real secure in your masculinity. How could I not, since you defend it with such vengeance.
    AND BTW - this argument was not - for once - about Craig, but about Babs and Bond as a man, whom you can put into womens clothes without making him look weak or a pimp.
    Plus I dont have the feeling, you are not given enough room to place you opinions. Heck, you are all over the place as it is.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I never said that Bond, or any man for that matter, that dresses in women's clothes is weak. I am just saying is it contrary to the original character.
    I find the claim that if we criticize the Women's day ad, we are insecure about ourselves to be utterly ridiculous and borderline absurd. So because I don't agree with that ad, which factually is depicting a Bond that is contrary to the original character, I am insecure about myself ? What utter crap. Going by this argument, anyone who likes the action scenes in the films are anti-pacifist and are bound to be violent in real life !

This argument is completly dumb. Just because you find LTK too violent doesn't mean you are a weak, pacifist person, just because you love 'John Rambo' doesn't mean you are going to frequently beat up people in real life.

Again the Craig loverboys still can't accept that people may criticize his Bond and films, and they find new rules and arguments on why Craig is too perfect to be criticized !! The Craig fans are truely getting more and more ridicule. Why can't you people accept that Craig can be criticized ? Where is it written that people can throw tons of vitriol at Brosnan, much to the agreement of many people here, but once someone criticizes Craig, that person must be decapitated ?

I wish some members here would start their own Craig fanclub, where only positive messages can be posted, while this website can return to being a place of discussions on all things James Bond, where every opinion are allowed.

It's almost as if some people think that having a negative opinion on Craig is like being a being a neo-nazi supporter or something..... or that being negative on Craig means you are insane, sick and mentally unstable. Sorry but if someone doesn't like Craig, it's perfectly normal and acceptable. There is no reason why any actor or film can only be loved... unless you live in North Korea that is. I'm sure some members here would love to be the president of a dictatorship, where they can whip anyone who doesn't follow the correct line of thinking.

DaltonCraig007, what are you on about? Did I miss an entire discussion on this thread?
    I really love Craig as Bond but yeah, I can accept criticism of him - and other favorites of mine - as an actor when the criticism is dealt with in a mature, nicely worded enough way. We all have our own personal opinions and likes/dislikes. So I don't mean you have to cushion things delicately when you discuss things with me, but I don't like strongly negative, rude comments or trashing.
    I am just surprised you wrote all this. What is up? Did I miss something specific you are referring to? And I do not know the Woman's Day ad.

I never said that Bond, or any man for that matter, that dresses in women's clothes is weak. I am just saying is it contrary to the original character.

Then try to see the intend, which was..

...try to grab the utmost attention to the topic of the ad. It was Daniels idea, knowing that Bond changing from Bond to a woman would surely get more attention then just the same without the dress change. So, it was done to multiple the views for the subject matter. Thing is - Bond can do those things and there is no reason to feel insecure about it.
    OK ... so you do not like the ad because it shows the chararacter of Bond dressed as a women which goes against the original character. Is that it? I have no problem with your opinion if that is true. The ad used an iconic male character to make a point. It does not bother me; I don't mind it. Because I know they are trying to get our attention about a serious issue. I think it's rather clever that way. But I would not say a person is weak or wrong if he or she does not like the ad, does not like seeing Bond ( who is one of my favorite characters) dressed so counter to his character. It's just personal tastes, as far as I can say for me.
  • @ 4Ever and DC- I agree with both of you. There are criticisms, both fair and unfair, in this world and the people in the Bond series are not without exception. Both Brosnan, Craig (well, actually every Bond has his critics) have been fairly and unfairly criticized here in recent years and my point here in the Forum has, and always will be, is that some of the complaints about both are just plain mean spirited, have little basis in fact and cannot be defended solely on "it's my opinion", and are not in keeping with how a true Bond fan should carry themselves. In each of the "hater camps" for lack of a better word, the attack is nearly constant, to the point of throwing in negative comments on threads having to do and not having to do with the subject of their attacks, and most of the time the criticisms are unfounded, although people are indeed entitled to have an opinion.

That said, I suppose the people here will go "DC + Dench= Barbara has a feminist agenda" and say this is proof. And maybe she really does. Yet, if the point here is that it is fair to objectify women, I would disagree. I think equality between the sexes is fair. It really isn't a "man's world" anymore and should not be. People are people. However, some things, like a women automatically getting the benefit of the doubt as being a better parent and getting automatic custody of children, is a case of reverse discrimination and that should not be tolerated.

My wife, and this is the first time I've said this here because I am a fairly private person about some things, passed away suddenly last August. So the above is not a case of sour grapes or anything like that, but I would also say that I was an equal as a parent and would have resented a court of law stating otherwise. If a man went nuts in a case like that, I can understand it. I did everything she did when our children were born, fed them, changed them, played with them, held them when they were sick, and now I will raise them and try to give them everything I can.

Well, I have to get to work. One small favor, please don't come on here and offer condolences. You can send a PM if you want. I don't want a public pity party, I can have that by myself and do so often when my children and others don't see me.

and my point here in the Forum has, and always will be, is that some of the complaints about both are just plain mean spirited, have little basis in fact and cannot be defended solely on "it's my opinion", and are not in keeping with how a true Bond fan should carry themselves.

This - too often plein rudeness is dressed up as "opinion" and then the complaint, that its not taken well or serious.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks for your thoughtful comments, SirHenryLeeChaChing. I do appreciate what you wrote. I am a private person myself, by the way.

I agree both parents should be looked at equally and neither given an automatic advantage in custody cases.

As for the "haters" on any forums; I dislike them intently and wish they would just grow up and stop bashing. Brosnan comes to mind, too, as one who is bashed repeatedly. It is immature and they sometimes obviously trash on threads not even relevant to that thread's topic. I don't like rudeness or pettiness. Some can be so bad it feels like poison oozing out.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Bond can do those things and there is no reason to feel insecure about it.

Fact is, it's contrary to the original character. Can Bond do a gay sex scene ? He can... but it's still factually contrary to the original character.
    Yes it is contrary to the original character. So no argument there.
    I just don't mind it.
    Yes it is contrary to the original character. So no argument there.
    I just don't mind it.

Fact is - it did exactly what it intended to do - draw attention and most comments were positive. I think, it was even up in a competition for something.
    And you know better then I rmember it, how many times the film Bond got into costume (I just recall the clown) to get what he wanted.