Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

Denbigh wrote: »
    I think Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman (his screenwriter for pretty much all his films) could create a good Bond film. She's also the showrunner of the upcoming GOT prequel.

Jane Goldman maybe, Vaughn would make a terrible Bond movie.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,869
    EFquBSRVUAYGNqv?format=jpg&name=large

This looks frickin' incredible :)
  • Why does no one talk about how good of an actor Ralph Fiennes is? Every movie I've seen him in he is fantastic and I do not believe he gets the respect he deserves.

Anyway, trailer looks pretty cool. I am a little afraid they may go too over the top like they did with Golden Circle, but I'm still excited to see what they do in this time period.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 6,677
    That poster is terrific. That cast is terrific. That trailer is terrific.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    Why does no one talk about how good of an actor Ralph Fiennes is? Every movie I've seen him in he is fantastic and I do not believe he gets the respect he deserves.

Anyway, trailer looks pretty cool. I am a little afraid they may go too over the top like they did with Golden Circle, but I'm still excited to see what they do in this time period.

Ralph Fiennes is one of the best actors of all time. He's done it all and he's been in many of my favourite films. Man's a living legend. He's got two oscars and six baftas. Nah, I think he gets the praise he deserves ;) And rightfully so. Also, I do like him as a director as well. And back in the day, I was one of his supporters as the next Bond. Still think he'd have done a stellar job.
  • Univex wrote: »
    Why does no one talk about how good of an actor Ralph Fiennes is? Every movie I've seen him in he is fantastic and I do not believe he gets the respect he deserves.

Ralph Fiennes is one of the best actors of all time. He's done it all and he's been in many of my favourite films. Man's a living legend. He's got two oscars and six baftas. Nah, I think he gets the praise he deserves ;) And rightfully so. Also, I do like him as a director as well. And back in the day, I was one of his supporters as the next Bond. Still think he'd have done a stellar job.
    I'm probably comparing him to the likes of a Tom Hanks or Gary Oldman. Just from people I've seen seem to love those guys (and rightfully so) but I think Fiennes get's quite overlooked when he is just as good. I certainly feel he is respected, but doesn't have that fandom that other actors have.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Wasn't sold on this but it actually looks great. The first Kingsman I think still holds up as a brilliant film. I'd genuinely put it as on par with some of the better Bond films. I liked the Golden Circle the first time I saw it too, but when I tried to rewatch it I couldn't even get through it, really wasn't as good as I remembered. This looks a lot better. Way less CGI heavy for a start and the setting seems like a really cool change of pace. Did worry after his big universe announcement that Vaughn had completely lost it but instead he really seems to have taken onboard the criticism of the last one. I'm excited.

Bond is back, Kingsman seems to have corrected its course, even the last Mission Impossible film was really good. Good time for the genre. All we need is Bourne to make another comeback and we'd be in a golden age.
  • It looks the first two so... that's it. The first had a lot of wasted potential and second was just not a good film.
  • Excited for King's Man. There's a certain Flashman-esque vibe to it; I wonder if we'll ever get that story done right?

It also seems inevitable that Fiennes' performance here will be compared to NTTD; hopefully he brings the goods in both.
    Univex wrote: »

I'm probably comparing him to the likes of a Tom Hanks or Gary Oldman. Just from people I've seen seem to love those guys (and rightfully so) but I think Fiennes get's quite overlooked when he is just as good. I certainly feel he is respected, but doesn't have that fandom that other actors have.

Well, I actually agree.

He's suffering what Jeremy Irons and many greats suffered. Of course, if one has an actual castle, even if a salmon-coloured one, that eases the pain :) - I'm referring to Irons. Fiennes probably just has a small fortress.

This is rather lovely if you're a fan (as I am):

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,869
    @thelivingroyale I'd quite like a sequel to The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as well please :D
    @thelivingroyale I'd quite like a sequel to The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as well please :D

Me too.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

He is my Favorite actor I remember when I saw him in SF couldn't get more excited.

Yes please
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837

Me too.

Ooh, nah, no thank you. Don't get the love for that film at all personally. My attitude with spy films is they should do something to differentiate themselves from the pack. Bond is the original and the best. Even if it he isn't winning the league every year he'll always be in the prem. Bourne created and the perfected the gritty and real approach. Kingsman has the violence and self awareness, Bond meets Tarantino. And MI right now has the big stunts (it should also have the team dynamic to set itself apart but that's never really been at the forefront because they cast Tom Cruise).

UNCLE just didn't have anything like that for me. Nothing new or original. Just a pastiche, and not a very good one, which had me wondering why I was watching it when I could just watch a real 60s Bond film, with Sean Connery instead of two blocks of wood. I guess you could say there's the buddy movie aspect but Kingsman (Firth/Egerton) and MI (Cruise/Rhames or Cruise/Pegg) arguably already do that and do it better. Love Guy Ritchie but I'm really not surprised it flopped. Would much rather he make Rock n Rolla 2.

If we're doing sequels to 2015 spy movies then I'd even rather a sequel to Spy than UNCLE, that was a surprisingly fun film. Or a spinoff about Jason Statham's character.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2019 Posts: 14,963

Me too.

Ooh, nah, no thank you. Don't get the love for that film at all personally. My attitude with spy films is they should do something to differentiate themselves from the pack. Bond is the original and the best. Even if it he isn't winning the league every year he'll always be in the prem. Bourne created and the perfected the gritty and real approach. Kingsman has the violence and self awareness, Bond meets Tarantino. And MI right now has the big stunts (it should also have the team dynamic to set itself apart but that's never really been at the forefront because they cast Tom Cruise).

UNCLE just didn't have anything like that for me. Nothing new or original. Just a pastiche, and not a very good one, which had me wondering why I was watching it when I could just watch a real 60s Bond film, with Sean Connery instead of two blocks of wood. I guess you could say there's the buddy movie aspect but Kingsman (Firth/Egerton) and MI (Cruise/Rhames or Cruise/Pegg) arguably already do that and do it better. Love Guy Ritchie but I'm really not surprised it flopped. Would much rather he make Rock n Rolla 2.

I was pleasantly surprised by UNCLE having the flavour of a 60 Italian movie, down to the camerawork and music. I wasn't expecting that at all and it's not something I've seen other Hollywood movies do. That made it interesting to me.
    mtm wrote: »

Me too.

I was pleasantly surprised by UNCLE having the flavour of a 60 Italian movie, down to the camerawork and music. I wasn't expecting that at all and it's not something I've seen other Hollywood movies do. That made it interesting to me.
    Yep, felt the same. Am rewatching it as we speak. Cavill has a good screen presence, making use of that arrogance and intelligence Bond's been lacking for quite a while. Never been a fan of him as a possible Bond, but this film made me change my mind a bit.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Me too.

Yep, felt the same. Am rewatching it as we speak. Cavill has a good screen presence, making use of that arrogance and intelligence Bond's been lacking for quite a while. Never been a fan of him as a possible Bond, but this film made me change my mind a bit.
    Plus with Alicia Vikander and Elizabeth Debicki, and Pemberton's soundtrack, you can't go wrong haha :D

Me too.

Plus with Alicia Vikander and Elizabeth Debicki, and Pemberton's soundtrack, you can't go wrong haha :D

The soundtrack is amazing, and so are the ladies, for sure. It's quite a stylish affair. And the last time I had fun watching a more recent spy flick.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Me too.

I'm still not sold to be honest. He's not a great screen presence I'd say; not the worst I've seen, but I think we dodged a bullet!

Me too.

I'm still not sold to be honest. He's not a great screen presence I'd say; not the worst I've seen, but I think we dodged a bullet!

That scene in the truck with the Chianti and the sandwich was priceless, though. So were some moves of his. I still find him wooden, a lot actually. He had to lose a couple of layers of muscles first and someone would have to teach him how to walk without seeming like a wall.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Me too.

That scene in the truck with the Chianti and the sandwich was priceless, though. So were some moves of his. I still find him wooden, a lot actually. He had to lose a couple of layers of muscles first and someone would have to teach him how to walk without seeming like a wall.
    The truck scene was brilliant. A stand-out scene for me is Vikander dancing to 'Cry to Me' and then fighting Armie Hammer. Anyway we should probably take this discussion the UNCLE page.

Cannot wait The King's Man. Definitely looks like a return to form for the Kingsman franchise.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,677

Me too.

The truck scene was brilliant. A stand-out scene for me is Vikander dancing to 'Cry to Me' and then fighting Armie Hammer. Anyway we should probably take this discussion the UNCLE page.

Cannot wait The King's Man. Definitely looks like a return to form for the Kingsman franchise.

Lots of great scenes. "Only my mother calls me Napoleon", "C02 laser", ... But yes, we should take this to the proper thread.

About KM.
    It's already looking like the best film of the bunch. Too bad Colin Firth won't be a part of this, it being a prequel and all. But Ralph Fiennes more than makes up for that. Also...Gemma! :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Me too.

Lots of great scenes. "Only my mother calls me Napoleon", "C02 laser", ... But yes, we should take this to the proper thread.

About KM.
    It's already looking like the best film of the bunch. Too bad Colin Firth won't be a part of this, it being a prequel and all. But Ralph Fiennes more than makes up for that. Also...Gemma! :)
    Yeah It seems an intentional choice to move away from the Firth/Egerton storyline with the choice of WW1, although Aaron Taylor-Johnson is still listed as Lee Unwin on iMDB, who was Eggy's father, so unless they jump forward in time at the end of the film, I don't see how that's possible. It could be a mistake and Aaron is playing someone else, even though we haven't seen him in the trailer. I think the bald guy in the shadows is Matthew Goode, unless I'm mistaken and that is Johnson. Also, Stanley Tucci is in this film somewhere.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Mathew Goode is in this? Nice, he's got this strange air about him every single time, like if he was secretly an alien. It's that brontosaurus neck and those eyes. And he's a very decent actor. Stanley Tucci as well? Cool.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2019 Posts: 4,444
    Moost positieve thing about trailer is there is no Disney credit, stil hope movie wil be released on BD by Fox on same way as previous movies. For rest trailer remember me a lot to Stardust (2007). Almoost 6,5 years a go when i watched that movie and then i give it 8/10.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Some new images :)

EF_F0_tUcAIwkkE.jpg:orig
    the-kings-man-still-1.jpg?w=2700&h=1800
    The-Kings-Man-still-4.jpg
    DF-17410_R_rgb.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm really digging the historical ties the film is presenting (Rasputin, the assassination of Franz Ferdinand).
  • https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-sets-2021-release-ridley-scotts-last-duel-pushes-back-kings-man-7-months-1255349

Is this Disney getting nervous over what to do with Kingsman? It's been pushed back nearly a year now!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-sets-2021-release-ridley-scotts-last-duel-pushes-back-kings-man-7-months-1255349

Is this Disney getting nervous over what to do with Kingsman? It's been pushed back nearly a year now!
    Noooooooo!
    Vaughn is doing a third film after that crappy second one?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2019 Posts: 15,690
    DRush76 wrote: »
    Vaughn is doing a third film after that crappy second one?