Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

Denbigh wrote: »
    The year of spies once again :)

Yeah, that's right! Nice.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2019 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

Liam Neeson joins Ralph Fiennes, Gemma Arterton, Charles Dance, Daniel Bruhl, Tom Hollander, Stanley Tucci, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Rhys Ifans, Dijmn Hounsou, Alexandra Maria Lara and Matthew Goode in Kingsman: The Great Game.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0528/1052134-liam-neeson-reportedly-joins-kingsman-prequel/

EDIT: Today Vaughn has confirmed these reports on Liam Neeson were false. He is not part of the cast.

https://theplaylist.net/liam-neeson-no-kingsman-20190530/
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Damn. I'd like to have seen a lot of those guys in a Bond movie. The ones that haven't featured already, obv.

Alexandra Maria Lara would have made an amazing Bond girl ten years ago. And Bruhl a great villain.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Matthew Goode is Kingsman material, alright. Could've been a great Bond in a Moore fashion. Although his more serious approach to some material is interesting. It makes for a contrast, as we are used to him being charming and a stuck up brit, of sorts. Which is not a bad thing, mind you. I liked it when he raced Bentleys, blowers no less, in Downton Abbey. There's also something aloof about him that seems to give him some distance to anyone who surrounds him. His cruel mask is also very pronounced, now that age has caught up with his face. 41 by now, a Bond could've been. Rather him than potato nose brutish Clive Owen, IMO. Or singer dancer giant Hugh Jackman. But then again, I'm the one who wanted Fiennes as Bond at some point. Charles Dance, btw, is a walking crime for not being in a Bond movie ever. The guy is phenomenal. I'm hearing he's the biggest monster in Godzilla KOTM, and quite right.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That cast is ridiculous, I'm equally interested in both the prequel and whatever Kingsman 3 will end up delivering.
    Surprised Gemma Arterton would be involved considering some the content of the first two.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Kingsman: The Great Game* has wrapped up filming. Sadly, Vaughn has confirmed the Liam Neeson reports from Deadline were false information, he has not joined the casting.

https://theplaylist.net/liam-neeson-no-kingsman-20190530/

* Vaughn also confirmed this will not be the actual title of the film.
    First teaser for The Kings Man, the World War 1-set prequel, coming February 2020:

uz-XG7-VOw-Cvz-MQ935m-WZbracj-Pn-Qpq-T7idnn7-TYIr-I.jpg
    I can't say I'm really excited for the prequel (what made the first one so fun was how it riffed on Bond, how can they do that in a film set decades before CR was written?) but I'll probably see it. Loved the first two and Vaughn in general has never let me down.

But after this and the third Eggsy film, please just let it end. I'm worried after the big universe announcement Vaughn made (prequel, Statesman spin off, TV series, etc) that he thinks Kingsman is a really original/inventive concept that could be a massive franchise. Happy to be proven wrong but I really don't think it is. It's meta James Bond with gore and swearing. Roger Moore turned up to 11 with Kick Ass/Scream esque self aware commentary. It was really fun at the time but once the novelty of that wears off all that's left is a cheap CGI filled Bond knock off.

Actually that's not entirely true, because the first one did have real heart with Eggsy's story and the class conflict stuff. But I think once that story is done the franchise is pretty much over. This prequel could be cool because of the novelty of it being a period piece (and we've never had a war time Bond film have we). But after that I hope he just finishes Eggsy's story and moves on. I really don't want them to keep milking it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm excited for this. Not mad about the title but I'm excited to see the cast, especially the reuniting of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Vaughn after Kick Ass, and I'm excited to see Vaughn's take on the Kingsman spies in this era :)
    Quite a few Bond alumni in the film. Clearly showing the debt Kingsman owes to Bond.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 3,164
    Looks fantastic. Day 1 for me!
    Univex wrote: »
    Matthew Goode is Kingsman material, alright. Could've been a great Bond in a Moore fashion. Although his more serious approach to some material is interesting. It makes for a contrast, as we are used to him being charming and a stuck up brit, of sorts. Which is not a bad thing, mind you. I liked it when he raced Bentleys, blowers no less, in Downton Abbey. There's also something aloof about him that seems to give him some distance to anyone who surrounds him. His cruel mask is also very pronounced, now that age has caught up with his face. 41 by now, a Bond could've been. Rather him than potato nose brutish Clive Owen, IMO. Or singer dancer giant Hugh Jackman. But then again, I'm the one who wanted Fiennes as Bond at some point. Charles Dance, btw, is a walking crime for not being in a Bond movie ever. The guy is phenomenal. I'm hearing he's the biggest monster in Godzilla KOTM, and quite right.

He has been,he was one of Kristatos' men in FYEO
    :)>-
    o0XcNyH.jpg
    Does anyone know who the actor is who plays the above character ?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869
    This looks bloody awesome!

I think the main villain whose face we don't seem to see is either Daniel Bruhl or Stanley Tucci
    So I have never watched any of the Kingsman films, so am I right in assuming this is a prequel?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    So I have never watched any of the Kingsman films, so am I right in assuming this is a prequel?

You are correct @RogueAgent! There will be a 'proper' Kingsman 3 coming in 2021.

You are correct @RogueAgent! There will be a 'proper' Kingsman 3 coming in 2021.

Would you recommend them?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

The first one is great, the second one is kinda terrible, but definitely worth watching.

In my mind Vaughn took all the wrong things from the first movie and made the second one, whereas this prequel seems to be taking all the right things from the first movie.

The first one is great, the second one is kinda terrible, but definitely worth watching.

ok cool, will make time to try and view them asap.

I agree with @Denbigh, but I'll tell you one thing: the final battle in the 2nd Kingsman film is absolutely fantastic.

I agree with @Denbigh, but I'll tell you one thing: the final battle in the 2nd Kingsman film is absolutely fantastic.

Thank you, will let you know my thoughts once I have seen them?
    @RogueAgent Hopefully you'll watch them more quickly than Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation! :-))
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    [deleted]
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Love this :)

MV5BNGQ5NTRiNDAtNGU3ZS00ZTNjLWJiNzYtOTEwMGFhMGZmZTQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,733_AL_.jpg
    @RogueAgent Hopefully you'll watch them more quickly than Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation! :-))

I don't know what you mean dear boy? :-? ;) :))
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677
    antovolk wrote: »

This looks like proper fun. Lovely trailer. Ralph kicking a**!

PS: BTW, how people think that James Bond done as a faithful adaptation of Fleming's novels, time frame and all, wouldn't work, is beyond me. EON could keep doing its thing, and then a big NETFLIX adaptation of the novels, directed by our very own Fukunaga and starring Aidan Turner, produced by EON as well, would satisfy the Fleming's fans. Or this Fleming fan, anyway.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman (his screenwriter for pretty much all his films) could create a good Bond film. She's also the showrunner of the upcoming GOT prequel.