Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Aaaah @matt_u @LeonardPine chaps,but,he didn't KILL them,only Silva. ;)

Bond killed Greene indirectly. Killed Blofeld metaphorically (XD). But only KILLED Silva. ;)
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 19,339
    matt_u wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Aaaah @matt_u @LeonardPine chaps,but,he didn't KILL them,only Silva. ;)

Bond killed Greene indirectly. Killed Blofeld metaphorically (XD). But only KILLED Silva. ;)

Hahaha that's more like it !
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Nah if they kill Nomi I'll be pissed. Because not only is it just lazy writing, it completely wastes the whole female 007 angle and I know that's why some of you want her to die so that whole angle gets retconned somehow, but really?

Also, why does Craig's Bond need to be 007 again at the end of the film? It's his last film? If you're worried about the "confusion" of James Bond will return because that seems like reaching to me, I'm sure we can make sense of that still appearing, because he will return despite whatever happens at the end of this film.

That's exactly how I see it.
    That will definitely be shown at the end of the credits,i'm sure.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Nah if they kill Nomi I'll be pissed. Because not only is it just lazy writing, it completely wastes the whole female 007 angle and I know that's why some of you want her to die so that whole angle gets retconned somehow, but really?

Also, why does Craig's Bond need to be 007 again at the end of the film? It's his last film? If you're worried about the "confusion" of James Bond will return because that seems like reaching to me, I'm sure we can make sense of that still appearing, because he will return despite whatever happens at the end of this film.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343

At this stage it’s impossible to know if we’re talking about lazy writing. If that’s her fate, she can die in a satisfying, brilliantly written way, as far as we know. Bond movies should have thought to their fans that “how” you present things is far more important than “what” you are presenting.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

+1
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677

At this stage it’s impossible to know if we’re talking about lazy writing. If that’s her fate, she can die in a satisfying, brilliantly written way, as far as we know. Bond movies should have thought to their fans that “how” you present things is far more important than “what” you are presenting.

You're both right.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

I would make my judgement after I have seen the film, it could be well executed or not. We will see in April 2020.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    For the last time they're not gonna kill Nomi.

She could turn out to be a 'Fembot'....oops sorry, wrong franchise!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Sani wrote: »
    EoN will never produce a solo movie with Lashana Lynch as Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Nomi 007.

After that, there is no such thing as "never".
    At most, the odds are very small.

You are just blowing this B25 twist out of proportions. Yes, life is full of surprises, but we are talking about a billion dollar franchise here. Making the movie you just quoted would mean throwing a billion dollar franchise down the toilet for no reason.

Exactly. Some people simply have not enough information to form an enducated opinion, and might think that movie producing is this strange and magical thing and that some studios just pull it out of their ass as they go along, based on their current mood. But as with everything there are certain rules to this game. Especially in Branding/Marketing/Sales etc. which all this is about.

Bond is a prestigeous legacy Brand that is running for 50 years now, which makes it very unique in Film history. it's well established why this franchise works and why people resonate with it and what they audience is looking for. No one will understand that better than EoN. If they break with the core values (changing the lead character), their future films will have no leg to stand on because they market their films on consistency and legacy. If you put a black woman in the lead you might as well start a new franchise from the ground up, because it will not be consistent with what came before. Why would you do that if you have a golden goose already? It's ridiculous

And their past films (which probably make them as much money as the new one if not more) will loose a great deal of value because they won't be in line with what the brand will be marketed as now, so the older stuff will slowly fade into obscurity, effectively killing the brand in the long run. Coca cola will not start tasting like beer all of a sudden, even if beer is more popular. That's not what coca cola is known for.

So nope, Bond is and will always remain a male-centric wish fullfilment action adventure with lots of hot girls, luxury and hedonism in spades, that's what makes it unique, it's their selling point.
    Everything else can be changed, but not the core character and appeal.

@00Agent thank you 😊👌
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    So are folks genuinely thinking that the 007 logo will never be seen on a Bond movie again after this? I'm still trying to get a handle on the 'no one else should be 007' issue.

Nah, just stupid and fearful people think that.

Well I'm just struggling to work out what the problem is.

Me too.

Well, it depends. A kind of heroic death in order to save James ass à la May Day could work, even in the so called #MeToo era.

BTW I don't think that matters. Point is EoN will never produce a solo movie with Lashana Lynch as Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Nomi 007. That's the James Bond franchise, the longest running franchise ever, a cultural pop icon making the best numbers at the box-office since the Sixties. Bond 26 will be a -choose an actor- as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 movie, regardless Nomi's fate or whatever.

Exactly!

What if they do, @Denbigh? (I think they will. And I think it'll happen just as @matt_u said). Like I said, all 00s have a short life expectancy. So will she. Probably.

If they retire/kill/pretend to kill Bond by the very end, and leave her as 007, it'll still be a one off. Bond26 will have a new James Bond 007.
    I just think it'll backfire if they do that. Also, with Phoebe on board, I don't think she'd let that happen. I understand people's annoyance with having to be careful, but if they fridge Nomi, there'll be hell to pay. Killing the black female lead to continue the arc of the white male lead doesn't look good. My guess is that Bond doesn't get his 00 status back, and Nomi remains 007 with Bond retiring for good, and yes Bond 26 will have a new male James Bond (007).

And @007Blofeld why does it need good marketing?

@Denbigh I guess how you sell a main audience or audience at after 57 years tying Bond to 007 and the 007 trademark logo. You ask most people on the street and you say who is 007 they are going most likely say James Bond. If it is true I'm just wondering how they make everything work so it doesn't confuse people.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    So are folks genuinely thinking that the 007 logo will never be seen on a Bond movie again after this? I'm still trying to get a handle on the 'no one else should be 007' issue.

Me too.

Well, it depends. A kind of heroic death in order to save James ass à la May Day could work, even in the so called #MeToo era.

BTW I don't think that matters. Point is EoN will never produce a solo movie with Lashana Lynch as Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Nomi 007. That's the James Bond franchise, the longest running franchise ever, a cultural pop icon making the best numbers at the box-office since the Sixties. Bond 26 will be a -choose an actor- as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 movie, regardless Nomi's fate or whatever.

Exactly!

What if they do, @Denbigh? (I think they will. And I think it'll happen just as @matt_u said). Like I said, all 00s have a short life expectancy. So will she. Probably.

If they retire/kill/pretend to kill Bond by the very end, and leave her as 007, it'll still be a one off. Bond26 will have a new James Bond 007.
    I just think it'll backfire if they do that. Also, with Phoebe on board, I don't think she'd let that happen. I understand people's annoyance with having to be careful, but if they fridge Nomi, there'll be hell to pay. Killing the black female lead to continue the arc of the white male lead doesn't look good. My guess is that Bond doesn't get his 00 status back, and Nomi remains 007 with Bond retiring for good, and yes Bond 26 will have a new male James Bond (007).

@Denbigh I guess how you sell a main audience or audience at after 57 years tying Bond to 007 and the 007 trademark logo. You ask most people on the street and you say who is 007 they are going most likely say James Bond. If it is true I'm just wondering how they make everything work so it doesn't confuse people.
    It's really simple actually. The trademark remains on the publicity, Lashana Lynch remains 007 for this one film, people watch the film and then we move on and wait till Bond 26, while the nitpickers pick it apart and say its confusing when thats just a lie, it's the easiest thing in the world :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Me too.

Exactly!

It won't confuse anyone. James Bond is 007; someone else taking on the number for one film -for one Bond film- doesn't change that.

Me too.

Exactly!

It's really simple actually. The trademark remains on the publicity, Lashana Lynch remains 007 for this one film, people watch the film and then we move on and wait till Bond 26, while the nitpickers pick it apart and say its confusing when thats just a lie, it's the easiest thing in the world :)

Me too.

Exactly!

It won't confuse anyone. James Bond is 007; someone else taking on the number for one film -for one Bond film- doesn't change that.

Yeah I feel like they must know what they are doing This is how I kind of feel about the whole bickering just want to understand and be on the right side there isn't anything wrong about have a different opinion or being upset but if have made up their minds and just throwing in garbage because they are upset that's not ok either. I feel like a rope in tug of war I want to be on right side which is pretty much in the middle but a little bit on the right of center I can tolerate it and maybe I will like it who knows it's just like Spectres Blofeld or stuff I don't like how this have turn into a fake political mess where if you now people and media have turn into yeah female Bond Bond is now in the full feminist movement crap and the other one one little thing effects the future and the whole franchise is ruined or whatever and say I hate EON and Bond is dead or woke crap we just need to all calm down and go to the middle and have appropriate discussions and what not come together we all love Bond in the end of the day we have something in common I just hate this ripping apart on both sides and think that is what making me so anxious I think I don't know it's like wearing a political gear the media turned it into I shouldn't feel afraid to wear Bond gear I long for the day where just for putting on Bond gear I haven't made political decisions this isn't EONs fault it's the stupid media and there lies and tricks the media is like Blofeld who puts a piece of food in the fish bowl in from Russia all the media's goal is the destruction of Bond for some reason its been evident with their reporting on this film.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    EoN will never produce a solo movie with Lashana Lynch as Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Nomi 007.

You are just blowing this B25 twist out of proportions. Yes, life is full of surprises, but we are talking about a billion dollar franchise here. Making the movie you just quoted would mean throwing a billion dollar franchise down the toilet for no reason.

Exactly. Some people simply have not enough information to form an enducated opinion, and might think that movie producing is this strange and magical thing and that some studios just pull it out of their ass as they go along, based on their current mood. But as with everything there are certain rules to this game. Especially in Branding/Marketing/Sales etc. which all this is about.

Bond is a prestigeous legacy Brand that is running for 50 years now, which makes it very unique in Film history. it's well established why this franchise works and why people resonate with it and what they audience is looking for. No one will understand that better than EoN. If they break with the core values (changing the lead character), their future films will have no leg to stand on because they market their films on consistency and legacy. If you put a black woman in the lead you might as well start a new franchise from the ground up, because it will not be consistent with what came before. Why would you do that if you have a golden goose already? It's ridiculous

And their past films (which probably make them as much money as the new one if not more) will loose a great deal of value because they won't be in line with what the brand will be marketed as now, so the older stuff will slowly fade into obscurity, effectively killing the brand in the long run. Coca cola will not start tasting like beer all of a sudden, even if beer is more popular. That's not what coca cola is known for.

So nope, Bond is and will always remain a male-centric wish fullfilment action adventure with lots of hot girls, luxury and hedonism in spades, that's what makes it unique, it's their selling point.

@00Agent thank you 😊👌

You're welcome :)>-
    edited July 2019 Posts: 3,126

@00Agent thank you 😊👌

We just need more this more middle ground stuff because Blofeld must be controlling the media laughing in his chair stroking his cat saying if I can't destroy Bond I will create something so they destroy Bond for me mehaha ( cue the evil laugh) sounds more like Dr. Eggman from Sonic but whatever people get the point.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185

@00Agent thank you 😊👌

We just need more this more middle ground stuff because Blofeld must be controlling the media laughing in his chair stroking his cat saying if I can't destroy Bond I will create something so they destroy Bond for me mehaha ( cue the evil laugh) sounds more like Dr. Eggman from Sonic but whatever people get the point.

I call it common sense.
    All this boycotting and whining to me just sounds like a serious case of self-victimization syndrome "Hollywood feminists are trying to steal my manhood!!!1!!" lol. It's paranoid gibberish from wannabe Internet-activists wearing tinfoil hats.

If you think Hollywood is trying to steal your masculinity, and you're seriously concerned about it, there's probably not much left to begin with...
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 1,661
    I got an easy solution. Eon must have seen the online and general media reaction to this 'news'. Why not just rewrite Nomi's character and have her as 005 or some other 00. Bond returns to the service and his 007 code name is reinstated.

Problem solved. No controversy. No accusations of pandering to neo-feminist #metoo anti-men lesbians! ;) This is a Bond film - who cares about gender equality. If you want gender equality go watch another film.

Eon should scrap the female 007 angle from the plot. No big deal. Rewrites are common. Scrap female 007 and everyone (bar a few feminists that are just pretending to like the franchise but in reality don't give a hoot!) will be happy. Bond is 007. PERIOD. Don't waste your time trying to convince us 007 is someone else. He's not. He's Bond. =D>
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I got an easy solution. Eon must have seen the online and general media reaction to this 'news'. Why not just rewrite Nomi's character and have her as 005 or some other 00. Bond returns to the service and his 007 code name is reinstated.

Problem solved. No controversy. No accusations of pandering to neo-feminist #metoo anti-men lesbians! ;) This is a Bond film - who cares about gender equality. If you want gender equality go watch another film.

Eon should scrap the female 007 angle from the plot. No big deal. Rewrites are common. Scrap female 007 and everyone (bar a few feminists that are just pretending to like the franchise but in reality don't give a hoot!) will be happy. Bond is 007. PERIOD. Don't waste your time trying to convince us 007 is someone else. He's not. He's Bond. =D>

Or...

...not.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Or...

...not.

+1

Or...

...not.

I would much rather see a scene where M introduces Bond to the new 007 and he reacts like this:
    SilverFlusteredBufflehead-size_restricted.gif
    Not gonna happen, but would be lovely lol.

Or...

...not.

I would much rather see a scene where M introduces Bond to the new 007 and he reacts like this:

Exactly the way I pictured it. Bravo.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I imagine this will be Bond's reaction. ;)

XkHc8MC.png
    Who dis?
    I just hope Craig doesn't do it the weird way, you know, the way he instantly established an awkward dynamic with C. in SP. He used to do the micro expressions so well in CR. Hope he taps into that.

giphy.gif

3l20.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

He was sublime in CR...faultless
  • Cary has always gotten great performances from his actors so I imagine Simeon of Craig’s caliber will be in top form. Cary cited Casino Royale as his favourite Bond film, so that’s encouraging.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Univex

Actors perform great reactions/actions when wonderful scenes are written (and directed); there was no context to Bond not liking C immediately (other than C was performed almost like a pantomime-- if he had a mustache, he'd have been twirling the ends)... So, quite frankly, that was a terrible scene in M's office. Daniel Craig, et al, did the best they could do with the material, and direction, they were given.

B25, with the three main script writers being Fukunaga, Burns and Waller-Bridge will absolutely have some of the most interesting scenes and storytelling we've seen in this franchise (yes, their input was certainly taken from the script originally written by P&W.... but, as I stated before, and I will say again with a little more gusto: apart from some story structure and a few action set-pieces, I guarantee that P&W will recognize the final product as a very, very, very, distant cousin-- so much has been altered and developed since January).

So when James Bond meets his successor-- the exact opposite of who he is in every way-- I expect fireworks (this idea, if from PWB, was ingenious and, in the right hands, will give many memorable scenes).

I would guess that when they meet in Jamaica Nomi is undercover and he has no idea she is a Double-O... When he meets her again in London, as 007, he will be slightly humiliated he was duped-- then he'll hafta overcome that his replacement is, well, not him...
    peter wrote: »
    @Univex

Actors perform great reactions/actions when wonderful scenes are written (and directed); there was no context to Bond not liking C immediately (other than C was performed almost like a pantomime-- if he had a mustache, he'd have been twirling the ends)... So, quite frankly, that was a terrible scene in M's office. Daniel Craig, et al, did the best they could do with the material, and direction, they were given.

B25, with the three main script writers being Fukunaga, Burns and Waller-Bridge will absolutely have some of the most interesting scenes and storytelling we've seen in this franchise (yes, their input was certainly taken from the script originally written by P&W.... but, as I stated before, and I will say again with a little more gusto: apart from some story structure and a few action set-pieces, I guarantee that P&W will recognize the final product as a very, very, very, distant cousin-- so much has been altered and developed since January).

So when James Bond meets his successor-- the exact opposite of who he is in every way-- I expect fireworks (this idea, if from PWB, was ingenious and, in the right hands, will give many memorable scenes).

I would guess that when they meet in Jamaica Nomi is undercover and he has no idea she is a Double-O... When he meets her again in London, as 007, he will be slightly humiliated he was duped-- then he'll hafta overcome that his replacement is, well, not him...

I concur.

And she's clearly a better "secret" agent than he is ;) She sure made a fool out of him in Jamaica (just guessing here, of course).

So many interesting writing choices opened up with this 007 scenery. Hope the writing is brilliant in this one.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

No, that sounds rubbish.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes @Univex -- I think that when they're in Jamaica, Bond will sense that Nomi's following him, is tailing him and he will "accidentally" bump into her at the night club.

Once he gets her back to his place, she may admit that, yes, she was sent by M to find him-- but never once does she let on that she's a Double-O... And perhaps Bond thinks Nomi is, at first, like Fields. He goes to seduce her.... and ... is denied...

So when it's revealed she is 007 to Bond, the audience will already know, M knows, Nomi knows (of course), but Bond was fooled. He may take it with good, sardonic humour (but he will be miffed)
    That is exactly the scene I think of when (if) her number is revealed to him. Lol, would be funny.