Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

RC7 wrote: »
    Anyone feeling a little embarrassed to be a Bond fan at the moment?

I am, and not only because of the reactions (both sides), but also because of Bond 25.
  • RC7RC7
    Sani wrote: »
    Anyone feeling a little embarrassed to be a Bond fan at the moment?

I am, and not only because of the reactions (both sides), but also because of Bond 25.

You’ve seen it? Do tell us your verdict.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 71

I didn't say I have seen it, but I'm feel embarrassed

Why do you fell embarrassed Mr. Sani?

The point @RC7 was making was that you'd have to see the damn thing or know what the damn thing is about, to construct you opinion, or even to have any feelings related to it, such as embarrassment. How can you feel embarrassed by something you know close to nothing about?

(...why do we bother, @RC7?)
    I know that secret agent 007 is not Daniel Craig but a black woman in Bond 25.
    It's embarrassing for me.
    I know: "Daniel Craig will be James Bond", "Bond retired in the end of Spectre", "Bond is more than a code number", "Ariel's voice is the most importan... sorry, wrong franchise
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I know: "Daniel Craig will be James Bond", "Bond retired in the end of Spectre", "Bond is more than a code number" etc., you don't have to write it.

I'm having a hard time understanding why that's "embarrassing".
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I know: "Daniel Craig will be James Bond", "Bond retired in the end of Spectre", "Bond is more than a code number" etc., you don't have to write it.

I am truly curious @Sani, and I look forward to your reply: as I suggested to another member, why bother with this film? If B25 sounds so wrong to you, if you're embarrassed by some of the likely changes they've done, why continue going on about it? Why bother lamenting about it? Why bother thinking about this train wreck? Why take the effort to read the comments, and further, to think about your own and write about them? Why not go on threads that make you happy? Why not skip B25 altogether, and focus on the films you like? The books you like? Or the comics? You've made your decision about this film, and it sounds like the equivalent of a bad relationship where my advise would be to dump your abusive partner and move on, mate. Just move on.
    @peter: Because for me, they are now ruining a franchise that I love for decades.
    The next step is not easy.
    I still don't get the "embarrassing" part.
    Because now in the media the Bond franchise is like Ghostbusters was in 2016.
    @peter: Because for me, they are now ruining a franchise that I love for decades.

I think that I understand you but do You know that (probably) Nomi will be 007 for one film only? And I'm okay with that.
  • peterpeter Toronto

That's your opinion and your entitled to it, @Sani . But, I go back to the breaking up analogy-- there's nothing you can do to stop the abuse this film will reign down on you. So it's up to you to break it off, for your own mental and emotional health. Be brave, take a deep breath, remember the good times-- before the franchise turned on you-- and walk away. You'll find another franchise, I guarantee it.
    Librarian wrote: »

I think that I understand you but do You know that (probably) Nomi will be 007 for one film only? And I'm okay with that.

I know, but it's not ok for me.
    Our opinion is different. No problem. :)
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 17,297

That doesn't mean the film will be.
    peter wrote: »

I am truly curious @Sani, and I look forward to your reply: as I suggested to another member, why bother with this film? If B25 sounds so wrong to you, if you're embarrassed by some of the likely changes they've done, why continue going on about it? Why bother lamenting about it? Why bother thinking about this train wreck? Why take the effort to read the comments, and further, to think about your own and write about them? Why not go on threads that make you happy? Why not skip B25 altogether, and focus on the films you like? The books you like? Or the comics? You've made your decision about this film, and it sounds like the equivalent of a bad relationship where my advise would be to dump your abusive partner and move on, mate. Just move on.

That's me and the Mendes films, @peter. I don't like them, so I don't watch them (although I sat through them to complete my Bondathon a while back). I still have 22 films to enjoy, and hopefully another one with B25. The little teaser certainly looks promising.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 6,677
    I know: "Daniel Craig will be James Bond", "Bond retired in the end of Spectre", "Bond is more than a code number", "Ariel's voice is the most importan... sorry, wrong franchise

@Sani, I do respect that you have your own opinion and feelings, but as I want to understand them, can I ask you your age, gender, ethnicity and continent? Totally understand if you don't want to divulge them. It's just that I'm curious, and I'd love to contextualise your opinions. Thank you.

There are major differences between Bond 25 and the Ghostbusters '16. You know, like the fact that 2016 Ghostbusters had a completely different cast and was a straight up reboot with none of the original cast reprising their roles. Meanwhile, Bond 25 has Daniel Craig still playing James Bond and is still the leading man.

You're absolutely right, I don't think that it will be a bad movie, just I won't see it. :)
    That's me and the Mendes films, @peter. I don't like them, so I don't watch them (although I sat through them to complete my Bondathon a while back). I still have 22 films to enjoy, and hopefully another one with B25. The little teaser certainly look promising.

I envy this attitude very much. :)
    Unfortunately, I'm not like that...

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don’t feel embarrassed. Sexist racists are gonna do what they’re gonna do.

I always make the naive mistake of thinking we’re a bit of a cut above your average hardcore fan base. This week has shown me that we certainly aren’t.

I'm right with you there.

You're absolutely right, I don't think that it will be a bad movie, just I won't see it. :)

I see. Say Bond gets his 007 status back at some point in the film; will you still not see it because the number has been assigned a different agent in the meantime?
    That's me and the Mendes films, @peter. I don't like them, so I don't watch them (although I sat through them to complete my Bondathon a while back). I still have 22 films to enjoy, and hopefully another one with B25. The little teaser certainly look promising.

I envy this attitude very much. :)
    Unfortunately, I'm not like that...

It's really not that difficult, @Sani. I'd say, give the film a chance. If it's not for you, then it's just wait and see what the next one brings. :)
    There are major differences between Bond 25 and the Ghostbusters '16. You know, like the fact that 2016 Ghostbusters had a completely different cast and was a straight up reboot with none of the original cast reprising their roles. Meanwhile, Bond 25 has Daniel Craig still playing James Bond and is still the leading man.

Naturally. I haven't claimed that there is any truth in the media.

I see. Say Bond gets his 007 status back at some point in the film; will you still not see it because the number has been assigned a different agent in the meantime?

If only at the end or not at all, then I won't.

If only at the end or not at all, then I won't.

Each to their own, but IMO that should just be a minor niggle, and not enough to skip a film altogether.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Torgeirtrap , we like what we like and it’s an honest person that can love a franchise, but call out a film or two in there that aren’t to his taste. You’ve never been insulting about it, which shows a great level of maturity (you’re not blaming the franchise, in fact you seem to be very optimistic for the upcoming adventure; wish more would take your cue, lol (less anger/bitterness as if EoN had done this to them, and more mature, fun, frank discussion and debate)).
    @Torgeirtrap , we like what we like and it’s an honest person that can love a franchise, but call out a film or two in there that aren’t to his taste. You’ve never been insulting about it, which shows a great level of maturity (you’re not blaming the franchise, in fact you seem to be very optimistic for the upcoming adventure; wish more would take your cue, lol (less anger/bitterness as if EoN had done this to them, and more mature, fun, frank discussion and debate)).

To elaborate this a bit: It's only natural though isn't it, to have a few films in a long-running series one has minor or major issues with. We as Bond fans have been spoiled with great entertainment for decades, and 20+ films. Showing bitterness and anger towards the producers because one film isn't turning into what one might expect, seems a bit over the top.

And I agree, skip the film if certain elements are too difficult to accept. There will always be Bond 26 (and beyond).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2019 Posts: 8,538

To elaborate this a bit: It's only natural though isn't it, to have a few films in a long-running series one has minor or major issues with. We as Bond fans have been spoiled with great entertainment for decades, and 20+ films. Showing bitterness and anger towards the producers because one film isn't turning into what one might expect, seems a bit over the top.

And I agree, skip the film if certain elements are too difficult to accept. There will always be Bond 26 (and beyond).

Agreed @Torgeirtrap ... we have been spoiled. My personal faves will always be the Golden era (DN up to OHMSS-- with YOLT the black sheep (but, watching it the other night, something clicked, I was in awe of it. Don't get me wrong, it's flawed, but it also had/has big balls)...

The first three DC films are also scattered into my top ten list.

So, I like a certain kind of Bond.

I never had issue with Lazenby, and his film currently sits No. 1.

I also like Dalton quite a bit (though I do criticize some of his theatrics (if he nailed the enjoyment of hedonism/alcohol/self-medicating bit a little more (as the Craig era has done), he'd rise (then again, not his fault);

I like Moore. He's like comfort food. Good comfort food. Apart from MR, I always liked to watch him, but not in the same way-- nor ever even close-- to Connery's magnetism (Connery hypnotized me as a kid; he still does).

My unhappiest viewings as a Bond fan came with Brosnan. I think TND is his best performance (minus that god-awful climax, double-fisting machine guns). PB was fun and easy to watch in it. The "dramatic" scenes were glossed over, and got back to the twinkle in his eye, and action on the screen. I was let down by the other films in that era.

I don't blame EoN. It's the man, and the films, they needed at the time. I continued to go to all of PB's films on the first day, but I mainly went back to the past to bring me enjoyment from this franchise.

(and now with Craig's first three, I have a some modern Bond I truly love (with TLD and LTK (another flawed film, short on production, but damn, Davi is great, and he elevated TD performance (making him more natural and cool)........
    What I feel is the most important thing to take from the summary of the actors above @peter, is the point about Brosnan (and which is true with the other actors and films too) – it's was what they needed at the time.

To bring this back on topic; is a female 007 needed? Maybe not, but it's an opportunity that's there to be explored. I'm sure they can find a clever way to make it work within the confines of a Bond movie.
    @dragonsky

Your post touches on the actual challenge of this film to have an exciting and original narrative which isn't dragged back or bogged down by Spectre but does the opposite carries it in its wake.

Craig and Waltz we know have reservations about Spectre and Daniel particularly wanted Lea back to make right that element from his POV.

The writing that Cary did in the winter of 2018 will be crucial in this regard whereas the tidying up of the dialogue and situational drama by the other two will give the film its atmosphere.

If i think of the elements of Spectre that could have been better the three additional writers on this film have shown themselves able to deal with such matters as creating critical tension, narrative momentum, curved ball dialogue and mystery so it could work.

However there is a clear difference between Bond fans on the Craig era some like me enjoy the introspective darker analysis of character that echoes the final two Blofeld books and its coda Golden Gun others just want an entertaining yarn and believe director ..... fill in the blanks can do this. Personally I think Bond lite is already being done by others ( a riff on a riff). If they return to sub Moore values then I will probably turn aside but I am not going to get upset about it some really miss that kind of feel where it was a fun family entertainment movie.

We know one improvement has been made Daniel is no longer doing an impersonation of Norman Wisdom in the wardrobe department !
  • peterpeter Toronto
    What I feel is the most important thing to take from that summary of the actors above @peter, is the point about Brosnan (and which is true with the other actors and films too) – it was what they needed at the time.

To bring this back on topic; is a female 007 needed? Maybe not, but it's an opportunity that's there to be explored. I'm sure they can find a clever way to make it work within the confines of a Bond movie.

Key word @Torgeirtrap : opportunity...

Do they need a female 007? No, not really. BUT, this is an OPPORTUNITY to explore James Bond further (after all, Fleming constantly needled his character and we could read his thoughts in the book-- inner thoughts and fears and dislikes and prejudices).

Since film is a visual medium, we can now see, in B25, how James Bond likes being replaced...? How his number was given to a complete stranger-- a stranger he is now linked with-- and, especially, how he responds to the fact that the new 007 is the EXACT OPPOSITE to who he is.

I love the possibilities.
    You know what? I don't mind every single change or novelty they come up with, as long as THEY are not ashamed of their product. That's the most important thing for me. Just make a Bond film and proud it's a Bond film. Having a woman as a 007 replacement down at Mi6 is an opportunity for a lot of interesting stuff. But do it proudly. Be proud of what James Bond is.

I've just seen the new Cruise Top Gun trailer, and I realised something, the man is proud of what that film was and what this new film can be. He's not trying to make it another thing entirely. And the nostalgia is there as well, in a good way. It's not cringeworthy. It's full blown. In your face. Pride.

So, black women as 007 or not, I just want them to make a film they're not ashamed of, something they are deeply proud of, a bonafide James Bond film.

I'm so ready for a trailer :) And I'm still very positive.
    What I feel is the most important thing to take from that summary of the actors above @peter, is the point about Brosnan (and which is true with the other actors and films too) – it was what they needed at the time.

Key word @Torgeirtrap : opportunity...

Do they need a female 007? No, not really. BUT, this is an OPPORTUNITY to explore James Bond further (after all, Fleming constantly needled his character and we could read his thoughts in the book-- inner thoughts and fears and dislikes and prejudices).

Since film is a visual medium, we can now see, in B25, how James Bond likes being replaced...? How his number was given to a complete stranger-- a stranger he is now linked with-- and, especially, how he responds to the fact that the new 007 is the EXACT OPPOSITE to who he is.

I love the possibilities.

All good points @peter, and as far as Bond meeting his replacement goes; that dynamic might be a good "drive" to the film. I guess this is why Phoebe Waller-Bridge was brought on board too – to make the dialogue between them even more dynamic, and hopefully memorable.

Re. opposites: The more I think about this, the more I can imagine a sort of a different take on Bond and Anya Amasova/Agent Triple X; two opposites teaming up to bring down a very dangerous villain. The opposites they might explore with Bond/Nomi can be age and experience, for example.