Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

1606162636466»

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    mtm wrote: »
    00Heaven wrote: »
    To me it was always obvious it was going to be a none event. The whole thing was overblown in the end. Bond held his own. He wasn't emasculated like some feared he might be. He was Bond. True to their word they tried to make stronger women characters to challenge Bond but he was still the same old James. And in the end he even gets the number back!

And I'm so glad I was right (as were other people who have already mentioned it in this thread) when I said it'll be a passing moment to him where he'll show some very brief annoyance and then move on because that's what he does best. It's always fun being vindicated and nailing something!

The way it did rankle him with Nomi taking the upper hand was very nicely reversed in M's office when he was reinstated and she was really jumpy about precisely which double-O number he'd been assigned. That was a good gag, and had Bond take the upper hand- very nicely done.

But as per usual, we can chalk this one (Nomi being 007) down as another of the 'oh my god that's outrageous!! They can't do that!' betrayals of the core of Bond which actually turns out to be totally fine and not even something people will especially remember the film for, much like the shocking casting of a bloke with fair hair as Bond a few years back. Much like, I suspect, something else which happens in this film which has upset a few folks at the moment.

As both Nomi and Bond agreed in the movie, it's just a number.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Yes, and it went full circle the right way, in my opinion. Her role was handled so nicely by this script, and by Lashana. It did not detract from Bond but actually served the story's tone/theme/plot. I didn't want more of her in this film, or less of her. I was pleased and I guess those really up in arms about her impact were hugely relieved.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    00Heaven wrote: »
    To me it was always obvious it was going to be a none event. The whole thing was overblown in the end. Bond held his own. He wasn't emasculated like some feared he might be. He was Bond. True to their word they tried to make stronger women characters to challenge Bond but he was still the same old James. And in the end he even gets the number back!

And I'm so glad I was right (as were other people who have already mentioned it in this thread) when I said it'll be a passing moment to him where he'll show some very brief annoyance and then move on because that's what he does best. It's always fun being vindicated and nailing something!

The way it did rankle him with Nomi taking the upper hand was very nicely reversed in M's office when he was reinstated and she was really jumpy about precisely which double-O number he'd been assigned. That was a good gag, and had Bond take the upper hand- very nicely done.

But as per usual, we can chalk this one (Nomi being 007) down as another of the 'oh my god that's outrageous!! They can't do that!' betrayals of the core of Bond which actually turns out to be totally fine and not even something people will especially remember the film for, much like the shocking casting of a bloke with fair hair as Bond a few years back. Much like, I suspect, something else which happens in this film which has upset a few folks at the moment.

As both Nomi and Bond agreed in the movie, it's just a number.

Yup, exactly (Brosnan's Bond actually said exactly the same thing!). It matters to both of them on different levels, but it was far from the most important thing in the film, and Bond was still Bond. It was all such a silly fuss. Fans do love a storm in a teacup.
    Here, just for smiles, are some lovely photos of Lea on set. I am so pleased with her performance of Madeleine in NTTD. She made such great choices as an actor to convey so much physically/body language/gestures, aside from the dialog.

I thought she was great.
    Also her acting superpower appears to be the ability to conjure a line of snot from her left nostril while crying: I think she managed it three times in this film! :D
    I was willing to see the film and give it a fair shot but I was concerned about the character being a #GirlBoss who they would put in the film to show up Bond constantly. It didn't turn out like that at all, she was cool, Lynch did a good job, and she and Bond ended up getting on. So no complaints from me.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    CountJohn wrote: »
    I was willing to see the film and give it a fair shot but I was concerned about the character being a #GirlBoss who they would put in the film to show up Bond constantly. It didn't turn out like that at all, she was cool, Lynch did a good job, and she and Bond ended up getting on. So no complaints from me.

If anything it turned out to be quite the opposite. Instead of being some sort of overpowering character, she was actually quite insecure around Bond (especially about the number).
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited October 2021 Posts: 574
    I also enjoyed that despite what others have said above she still managed to carry a certain amount of arrogance with her that surely one would need to get through with a job like that. While she may be "by the book" her and Bond can certainly tick that similarity off on the checkbox. I'm sure Bond is used to it too having spent time around other 00s. They have to be cocky little so-and-so's.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Lashana Lynch did a great job as Nomi but her character Nomi served very little purpose to the overall plot
    She was written to show time had passed between Spectre and NTTD, but that would have worked better had we not took such a leap into science fiction with some of the technology. Time had clearly passed between the two films

Nomi didn't partner with Bond much and as a character she was always just there, I was hoping the reason for her being late in Norway was because she was a villian and lead Bond to Safin

Maybe the romance between Bond and Madeline would have had more impact if the story was centred around it even more so. At times the story felt a bit crowded
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,951
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Lashana Lynch did a great job as Nomi but her character Nomi served very little purpose to the overall plot
    She was written to show time had passed between Spectre and NTTD, but that would have worked better had we not took such a leap into science fiction with some of the technology. Time had clearly passed between the two films

Yeah, I tend to agree. If you actually removed her from the film, I don't think anything would actually change plot-wise at all, would it?
    And not even really on a story or thematic level: Bond, Madeline, M and the other main characters don't really learn anything from her or adjust their worldview because of her presence... she doesn't really have any impact. She kills Valdo, but Bond could have easily done that. As you rightly say, she's just there to show us time has passed and Bond has been replaced. Which I guess is an okay reason, but it's shame not to integrate that into the plot in some way.

Even if she'd just done something like saving Bond from the sinking boat it would have been something.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    She's the Bond family's driver for most of the film.
    From the bar back to his house. From that forest/street in Norway to the RAF base. From the plane to the island. And then she drives M&M off the island in the dinghy.
    Bond even nicks her plane to get out of Cuba.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    "Need a ride?"

Ah, I loved the Jamaica sequence.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    She's the Bond family's driver for most of the film.

:))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yeah, I tend to agree. If you actually removed her from the film, I don't think anything would actually change plot-wise at all, would it?
    And not even really on a story or thematic level: Bond, Madeline, M and the other main characters don't really learn anything from her or adjust their worldview because of her presence... she doesn't really have any impact. She kills Valdo, but Bond could have easily done that.
    [/i]

Yes, she kills the man who saved Bond s life, and then she has a toast with the man who killed him.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

And not even really on a story or thematic level: Bond, Madeline, M and the other main characters don't really learn anything from her or adjust their worldview because of her presence... she doesn't really have any impact. She kills Valdo, but Bond could have easily done that.
    [/i]

Yes, she kills the man who saved Bond s life, and then she has a toast with the man who killed him.

That's great - good spot! :D
    One of the nicest gifs I have seen. Maybe some music was playing?
    That whole piece had perfect music.
    One of the nicest gifs I have seen. Maybe some music was playing?
    That whole piece had perfect music.

Yeah absolutely mate. I think everyone brought their A game to the Cuba sequence and it shows. One of the highlights of the soundtrack for me as well

I really wish Ana had been cast as the main Bond girl of NTTD (repetitive opinion around here I know) I have a feeling she could be a really big star in the future
    Oh I definitely prefer Lea as the main Bond girl. But Ana shines and has a great career ahead of her.
    That's fair enough mate Lea is a great actress
    I like Ana so much in NTTD I was wondering if they could make her the main Bond girl in one of the next ones. I don't see how, though, unless changing the character. And what we loved about that character is her personality. I wouldn't want that changed. So ... I don't see how they could. But I wish they could.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I was very pleased with all female characters and the actresses playing them in NTTD.
    Paloma/Ana is my highlight (as for many, as it seems) but Madeleine is a much better fleshed out character in NTTD than SP (I never had an issue with Lea). I buy the love story this time - but best chemistry was between Daniel and Ana … awesome!
    Lashana was funny especially in Jamaica and back at the MI6.
    I am very pleased
  • Oh I definitely prefer Lea as the main Bond girl. But Ana shines and has a great career ahead of her.

Eon has been known to re-cast actors from one film to the next -- especially if they think someone has been under-utilized. I'd be happy to see Ana as the main Bond girl in a near-future 007 film!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I feel the response to Nomi in the trailer is just another unfortunate product of context as opposed to specifically what she's doing and saying. Again, ten years ago, I think people would just take it at face value and enjoy it for what it is, but with the context of the time we're in, the concept of "woke agenda", and her possibly being 007, creates this antagonism towards her.

I see what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I think another difference between now and ten years ago is that the doors were a bit more open with regard to what the character may end up being. She's certainly not going to accidentally shoot Bond and decide secretary work is more her bag!

Or put it this way: if instead of Nomi, the new 00 was a guy called Norman, and he acted like a jerkoff in the trailer, nobody would have any doubt that Bond can humiliate the living daylights out of him in the film. With Nomi, that's extremely unlikely.

This didn't really turn out to be true after all that gnashing of teeth, did it. She was the butt of a joke scene with Bond getting the upper hand (in at least two scenes that I can think of in fact) - all of these predictions about what was definitely going to happen look like they were based on a shaky premise.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,727
    I did not rate Lynch in NTTD, but not really for the reasons usually cited.

Had no problem with her being the new 007, a young defiant and obviously v proud successor to Bond. I simply found her part poorly written, too much 'ego-bruised 14 year schoolgirl vibe' and not enough high-achieving professional... constantly asking what 00-nr Bond would get once he was welcomed back,

--

Seydoux is solid, obviously a very fine actress who brings a superb dramatic performance, but sadly lacking in both chemistry with DC and likeability - two factors which make or break a bond girl. She cannot hold a candle to Eva Green, unfortunately.

--

Ana de Armas stole the Cuba sequence, and thankfully her character was allowed to be more than a ditzy side-kick towards the end of her appearance.
    I feel the producers missed a trick here by not having her as the main Bond girl, whilst Seydoux could have easily remained as the thread throughout SP and NTTD.

--

Harris is chronically underwritten as Moneypenny, and her lines are probably the weakest of any Moneypenny since Caroline Bliss...
    I thought she was great, if Amazon want a spin off? Their she is!!!!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,442
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/yesterday-sued-over-lack-of-ana-de-armas/
    Two fans have reportedly filed a federal class-action lawsuit on Friday in regards to Richard Curtis’ 2019 Beatles-inspired feel good rom-com feature “Yesterday”.

The pair say they each paid $3.99 to rent the movie on Amazon Prime because “Knives Out” and “No Time to Die” actress Ana de Armas appeared in the trailer. Only after did they discover that de Armas was removed from the final cut of the film.

De Armas was to appear as Roxane, a potential love interest who is introduced to lead character Malik (Himesh Patel) on the set of James Corden’s talk show. The scenes with the character were removed before the film’s release due to test audience pushback.

The suit accuses Universal of engaging in deceptive marketing and seeks to recoup at least $5 million on behalf of affected consumers.

Source: Variety

There also showing her in some promo footage in Dutch film program at time, of course this movie was before she played in Knives Out and get even more fame with NTTD. Extra reasen to watch that movie when i discover that, so i am suprised she cut out.

“Yesterday” is a 2019 movie from Universal who made NTTD with MGM. Bluray of Yesterday include Delete Scene's and one of them is named ''Corden & Roxanne''. From others i can't see or she be in it. Possible there cut it for peacing (with it the movie have been 121-122 minutes) and mabey there whant let people wait on NTTD at time to let her shine.

Deleted Scenes (with Play All) (23:29)
    - Late for School (0:48)
    - Nutters Italian Ice Cream (2:22)
    - Sortisimus (0:28)
    - Moscow Audience (4:37)
    - Alexa (2:09)
    - A Gonk (1:09)
    - W Hotel (1:33)
    - Jack Calls Ellie (3:01)
    - Corden & Roxanne (4:49)
    - Hilary in the Mirror (0:27)
    - Nick and Carol (1:16)
    - Hazel's Selfie (1:10)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I recall Lashana's character being seen as fierce competition for Bond and a byproduct of the "woke culture" or whatever the fancy term is these days. Well, I disagree. The more I watch NTTD, the more I realize that she is a pretty old-school Bond girl, not the big "modern" threat to his masculinity that some mistake her for.

She never bests Bond, not even in Cuba, when she seemed pretty well prepared. She has a few funny interactions with Bond, MP and others; she's not a hopelessly complicated or sour #MeToo representative either. She leaves the climax all to Bond: the critical phase of beating the enemy is still pure Bond. She returns the number to him and grows to respect him and his legacy. Never ever does she get in his way. She's there to help him when he needs a ride, though, a convenient move that even Aki pulled in the '60s.

Lashana is not at all some big "social justice" or feminism symbol of the modern Bonds. Why some must insist that she is only there because Barbara Broccoli wants to push a feminist agenda, is beyond me. She's not even the first female 00! The way she was written for this film, she's not a threat to Bond. Instead, she's good fun, a charming presence, an excellent actress and a decent ally for Bond. I'm a Nomi fan!
    I liked Nomi as well. For me NTTD had a particularly good lineup of Bond girls.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I recall Lashana's character being seen as fierce competition for Bond and a byproduct of the "woke culture" or whatever the fancy term is these days. Well, I disagree. The more I watch NTTD, the more I realize that she is a pretty old-school Bond girl, not the big "modern" threat to his masculinity that some mistake her for.

She never bests Bond, not even in Cuba, when she seemed pretty well prepared. She has a few funny interactions with Bond, MP and others; she's not a hopelessly complicated or sour #MeToo representative either. She leaves the climax all to Bond: the critical phase of beating the enemy is still pure Bond. She returns the number to him and grows to respect him and his legacy. Never ever does she get in his way. She's there to help him when he needs a ride, though, a convenient move that even Aki pulled in the '60s.

Lashana is not at all some big "social justice" or feminism symbol of the modern Bonds. Why some must insist that she is only there because Barbara Broccoli wants to push a feminist agenda, is beyond me. She's not even the first female 00! The way she was written for this film, she's not a threat to Bond. Instead, she's good fun, a charming presence, an excellent actress and a decent ally for Bond. I'm a Nomi fan!

I'm all with you (as most of the time), @DarthDimi. The only thing I would like to know is what her first name is, since in NTTD a computer screen shows that "Nomi" is in fact her last name...as in Bond, not James.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I'm all with you (as most of the time), @DarthDimi. The only thing I would like to know is what her first name is, since in NTTD a computer screen shows that "Nomi" is in fact her last name...as in Bond, not James.

Hm, that's interesting, @j_w_pepper. I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right, she doesn't have a first name.

Hm, that's interesting, @j_w_pepper. I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right, she doesn't have a first name.

Or otherwise, she wouldn't have a last name. :-)