Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I predict that some people will go in with the idea that she'll be annoying, and that'll enforce their opinion coming out no matter how good Lynch is. And that's gonna be a shame for those people.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,168
    If confirmation bias is the thing here, a lot of people in here will be dissapointed with NTTD ;-)
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I predict that some people will go in with the idea that she'll be annoying, and that'll enforce their opinion coming out no matter how good Lynch is. And that's gonna be a shame for those people.
    You’re right on the money, @Denbigh.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

And they’ll never be honest about that.
  • Denbigh wrote: »

True.
    Bond wrote: »

Clearly Lynch hasn’t watched any Bond films made before NTTD.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,951
    AstonLotus wrote: »

She literally said she binged every single one when she got the part (the radio 2 interview). Wrong again, AsLo.

Yup.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 3,564
    mtm wrote: »

She literally said she binged every single one when she got the part (the radio 2 interview). Wrong again, AsLo.

Yup.

This close to the release of a new Bond film, there are threads I avoid because I don't want to see any spoilers. I think I'm going to have to start avoiding this thread because I don't want to find out some things about some people....
    Based on other posts by @AstonLotus , I think they're the type to heavily buy into tabloid rumors or misconstruing headlines.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I predict that Lynch will be the most annoying character since Boris in GE.

Go away.
    TR007 wrote: »

Go away.

Sorry if my opinion offended you.
    She literally said she binged every single one when she got the part (the radio 2 interview).
    She also said that Bond could be black, asian, mixed race, even a two-year-old. She's not a fan, I guess.
    TR007 wrote: »

Go away.

Sorry if my opinion offended you.
    She literally said she binged every single one when she got the part (the radio 2 interview).
    She also said that Bond could be black, asian, mixed race, even a two-year-old. She's not a fan, I guess.
    She has a point.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    If Nomi can't be annoying. That seems unfair.

If a black woman as a 00 agent makes you upset, you deserve to have a terrible time at the movie theaters.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I don't think that first part was proposed on this page. But okay.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

She's making the point that people are so attached to Bond that they will see it no matter what. I do think she made her point in a weird way, and also I'm not even sure she's right: although Bond is the star of the film (moreso than the lead actor playing him) I think it does matter who's playing Bond to audiences- see Lazenby and Dalton not being hits in the role. Although those films all still made money, so she's not entirely wrong.

But deciding that means that she didn't watch any of the films or isn't a fan is to twist her words.

She's making the point that people are so attached to Bond that they will see it no matter what. I do think she made her point in a weird way, and also I'm not even sure she's right: although Bond is the star of the film (moreso than the lead actor playing him) I think it does matter who's playing Bond to audiences- see Lazenby and Dalton not being hits in the role. Although those films all still made money, so she's not entirely wrong.

But deciding that means that she didn't watch any of the films or isn't a fan is to twist her words.

Yesterday at the taping of the Graham Norton Show she said, that she watched ALL the Bond films starting with Dr. No when she got the role in NTTD.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I have nothing against Lashana but her point is weak.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    After watching the trailers, I think we're set up to not like Nomi much, she represents change in Bond's world. Then as the film goes on, we like Bond will get respect for her and care about her.

I truly believe it's a clever use of marketing to develop her character through the trailers on the filmmakers part, I think they want us to go in with a perception of every character to have it changed during the film
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    In the trailer to Mi:Fallout they basically set up a similar dynamic between Hunt and Cavill's character - forget the name, was it Walker? - who is there to take Hunt down if he messes up. There is supposed to be antagonism between the characters that narrative convention tells us will get resolved one way or the other (either they are pushed to conflict, or they resolve it and work together). It is pretty standard for an action film.

Does Nomi come across as smug in the trailer? Yes. But that's the character (at least as presented in the promotional material). Not sure why that's a problem at this stage when we know for sure it will be resolved in the film.

Yup.

So she clearly either lied or has very bad memory.There have been several Bond women in the series just as tough and capable as Bond ( Wai Lin and Jinx come to mind ).

I think making a film with Brie Larson clearly affected her mentally.Wonder how Craig reacted to her calling him the “ White Man “.I like to think Craig recently saying Bond should only be played by a man was a dig at her.

And now we have Cary Fukanga calling Bond a rapist.Are they actually trying to put people off seeing the film?

edited September 2021 Posts: 8,025
    I think making a film with Brie Larson clearly affected her mentally.

She saw that it brought a billion dollars to the box office for CAPTAIN MARVEL and is just doing her part to assure enough incels turn up in movie theaters. It's smart, because you know they'll show up just so they can run straight to their YouTube accounts and yap about how big of an assault the film is on male fragility.

Honestly, it's funny how people are triggered when someone calls out Connery's Bond being a rapist. Why would those folks get upset so easily? Because they know deep down it's true.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    In the trailer to Mi:Fallout they basically set up a similar dynamic between Hunt and Cavill's character - forget the name, was it Walker? - who is there to take Hunt down if he messes up. There is supposed to be antagonism between the characters that narrative convention tells us will get resolved one way or the other (either they are pushed to conflict, or they resolve it and work together). It is pretty standard for an action film.

Does Nomi come across as smug in the trailer? Yes. But that's the character (at least as presented in the promotional material). Not sure why that's a problem at this stage when we know for sure it will be resolved in the film.

Absolutely nailed it mate
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I truly believe it's a clever use of marketing to develop her character through the trailers on the filmmakers part, I think they want us to go in with a perception of every character to have it changed during the film
    Well, she's not even in the final trailer except a couple of tidbits. Even M is featured more here.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 250

Yup.

So she clearly either lied or has very bad memory.There have been several Bond women in the series just as tough and capable as Bond ( Wai Lin and Jinx come to mind ).

I think making a film with Brie Larson clearly affected her mentally.Wonder how Craig reacted to her calling him the “ White Man “.I like to think Craig recently saying Bond should only be played by a man was a dig at her.

And now we have Cary Fukanga calling Bond a rapist.Are they actually trying to put people off seeing the film?

This is really braindead YouTuber bingo, huh?

EDIT: For the record, both Wai Lin and Jinx get to be damsels in distress.
    FourDot wrote: »

Yup.

This is really braindead YouTuber bingo, huh?

EDIT: For the record, both Wai Lin and Jinx get to be damsels in distress.

The lengths people will go to have very strong opinions about something they haven’t even seen yet, right? It’s almost as though some users on this forum get off on feeling outraged. Why that persecution comes in the form of “People don’t get my hobby like **I** get my hobby!” is where it starts to sound a trite petty.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,951

Yup.

Lied about what? What are you claiming that she said? Have you read the article on the link you posted this in reply to?

Here are her quotes from that piece:
    "Cary had big discussions with Barbara and Daniel about how to give the female characters equity, how to keep them in charge of themselves, how to give them solo moments where the audience learns who they are,"
    "I didn't feel like Nomi, as a young Black woman, was constantly standing behind the white guy, which, for me, is job done," she said. "And that was a very conscious decision for Cary."
    "I am one Black woman — if it were another Black woman cast in the role, it would have been the same conversation, she would have got the same attacks, the same abuse," Lynch said. "I just have to remind myself that the conversation is happening and that I'm a part of something that will be very, very revolutionary."
    "I didn't want to waste an opportunity when it came to what Nomi might represent," she said. "I searched for at least one moment in the script where Black audience members would nod their heads, tutting at the reality but glad to see their real life represented. In every project I am part of, no matter the budget or genre, the Black experience that I'm presenting needs to be 100 percent authentic."

Where does she mention anything about tough or capable women? You seem to think she's said she's the first or something...?

I suspect he won't reply.

Yep, absolutely: we're supposed to be very suspicious of her: we've seen her badmouthing our man James.
    matt_u wrote: »
    I have nothing against Lashana but her point is weak.

Yeah I think the 'toddler' comment doesn't really hold together.
    Well, she's not even in the final trailer except a couple of tidbits. Even M is featured more here.

Yes I thought that was interesting too: I think they'd decided to go for the Madeline angle a bit more heavily in that one. Nomi's in the International Trailer more isn't she?

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don’t think we’re meant to take the ‘toddler’ comment too seriously… and it would seem pretty silly if people have? It’s obviously just a purposeful exaggeration.

And honestly @AstonLotus, I think you need to stop talking cause you’re actually making me quite angry with your ridiculous comments regarding how “Captain Marvel has affected her mental state.” Just stop. Express your opinion sure, but try not to be incredibly stupid and insensitive.

I love this site massively, but the gatekeeping is just really intolerable.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,165
    @AstonLotus is a complete putz and he always has been. You can warn me or ban me for directly insulting another user, but that won’t change the indisputable fact he’s either a misogynistic troll or mentally deficient. Probably both. This place would be much nicer with him gone.

Yes I thought that was interesting too: I think they'd decided to go for the Madeline angle a bit more heavily in that one. Nomi's in the International Trailer more isn't she?
    "Final trailer" = international trailer. Just checked out the US final trailer...about the same. But in the international trailer Bond refers to her saying (to M) "I've met your new 00...she's a disarming woman."