Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Bond fans are typical male chauvinists. They should be hanged.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I absolutely object to such a irrationally drastic measure such as hanging.

Castration is more humane.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Really though. Where people would complain that Lashana Lynch is the new 007, people would give Ana de Armas as pass if she had the role instead just because she’s pretty.

Or white. Sorry to go there, but am I wrong?
    Uncomfortable territory here we come!
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 511
    Minion wrote: »
    Really though. Where people would complain that Lashana Lynch is the new 007, people would give Ana de Armas as pass if she had the role instead just because she’s pretty.

Or white. Sorry to go there, but am I wrong?

Not wrong at all, I'd say. Unfortunate as it is.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Is Ana only white though? Surely she is Hispanic too? Maybe we should stop trying to box people into black or white... There's enough racism to Hispanic/Latino and Asian folks knocking about too.
    She’s Cuban but she’s also white Latino. Ricardo Montalbán was a prominent Mexican actor, but he very much was Caucasian.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    She’s Cuban but she’s also white Latino. Ricardo Montalbán was a prominent Mexican actor, but he very much was Caucasian.

That's my point. They're not just white and they still face vicious racism all the same.
    edited September 2021 Posts: 8,021
    I mean, does she really? Maybe her character in KNIVES OUT, where she’d intentionally made up to look dowdy sure.
    @AstonLotus Clickbait not even worth reposting.
    Barbara Broccoli said Bond is going to stay a man. This isn’t even a debate.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2021 Posts: 5,869
    Why are people acting like Lashanna Lynch is trying to intentionally do something here? She's just an actress hired to play her a part. Leave her out of your Chicken Little-type "world-ending", "go woke, go broke" crap. If anythings gonna do damage to the franchise, it's this rubbish.
    Some people thrive on feeling persecuted.

“Oh no women are trying to ruin our manly lives!”

“Oh no our religion doesn’t have a total monopoly over every aspect of life!”

It’s stupid.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited September 2021 Posts: 574
    Craig speaks sense. I've said it always and maintain it. It maybe off topic but Star Wars is a typical example where they made an original black male character look completely stupid in favour of a white female character but no one really thinks of that... and that is off topic, so I'll leave it at that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Heaven wrote: »
    Craig speaks sense. I've said it always and maintain it. It maybe off topic but Star Wars is a typical example where they made an original black male character look completely stupid in favour of a white female character but no one really thinks of that... and that is off topic, so I'll leave it at that.

They made a gold robot look stupid in favour of a giant dog too. Not sure what the point is that's being made... :D

I don't know why AstonLotus is still posting this rubbish. Every time it's false: the last one actually got shutdown by the director of the movie in question himself. It's kind of sad.

• 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    edited September 2021 Posts: 574
    mtm wrote: »
    [
    They made a gold robot look stupid in favour of a giant dog too. Not sure what the point is that's being made... :D

I don't know why AstonLotus is still posting this rubbish. Every time it's false: the last one actually got shutdown by the director of the movie in question himself. It's kind of sad.

Haha, mate, don't. You know exactly what I mean I'm sure :P. I wouldn't even class myself as 'hyper aware' like some are... But the second sequel Star Wars struck me immediately... Yet for most, it wouldn't *shrug* it is what it is! If you want my actual opinion they're all garbage movies! We are blessed as Bond fans, let's put it that way!

However, on topic, I've always thought this is rubbish.... Even if Nomi turns out to be 007, I don't for one minute believe she will take the mantle in the long term beyond this one film. I don't even think Bond would care.. I also believe there's evidence for it canonically. But even then, honestly, why should it matter? Go read a bit of Fleming if you're hurt by it.
    My prediction has always been that Nomi will have the 007 designation but hand it back to Bond by the end, making a statement that she doesn't need his number to matter.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,933
    [

Haha, mate, don't. You know exactly what I mean I'm sure :P. I wouldn't even class myself as 'hyper aware' like some are... But the second sequel Star Wars struck me immediately... Yet for most, it wouldn't *shrug* it is what it is!

I think they (especially the maker of the second film) didn't know what to do with the character and it fell apart for him a bit, I don't think his ethnicity is anything to do with it.
    However, on topic, I've always thought this is rubbish.... Even if Nomi turns out to be 007, I don't for one minute believe she will take the mantle in the long term beyond this one film. I don't even think Bond would care.. I also believe there's evidence for it canonically. But even then, honestly, why should it matter? Go read a bit of Fleming if you're hurt by it.

Well hopefully he'll care a little bit, or it'll rankle with him slightly and then he'll pretend that he's fine about being replaced (especially by someone who it seems from the trailers rubs him up the wrong way to start with). I think we all want to see him provoked into a reaction and to find out what that is, that's the fun of these films: to see what Bond does in various situations.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Quoting on this platform can be an absolute mare... @mtm respectfully, I don't really believe it's anything to do with that. As a female, I think the problem was quite the opposite... Having watched those movies and the surrounding hubbub it felt there was an absolute need for a female to be powerful at the cost of everyone else... Which everyone quite happily accepted because they felt it was needed in the current climate given the way other movies were heading, above everything else.

Truly, do I believe in it? No. I went through an era where Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor and a cast of other badasses were front and centre and no one ever cared and no one made a big song and dance out of either their gender or their race.

I also realise that I'm not the most eloquent in these kind of debates. We could go back and forth ad nauseum over what I said and I realise that we're going to completely disagree over it. At that point, to me, there is just no point. We are not going convince each other...

Over Bond though, I think he cares, but very little... We could go over canonical representations in Fleming post OHMSS but that would be a whole 'nother thread in a nutshell plus involve some conjecture.... Personally, I would honestly hope that deep down he doesn't give a flying ---- ... to somewhat quote Fleming :).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    the-independent-logo.png
    No Time to Die’s Lashana Lynch says James Bond ‘could
    be a man or woman’, of any race or age
    ‘Even if a two-year-old was playing Bond, everyone would flock to the cinema to see what this two-year-old’s gonna do, no?’
    Louis Chilton | Sunday 12
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/james-bond-lashana-lynch-no-time-to-die-b1918614.html

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Quoting on this platform can be an absolute mare... @mtm respectfully, I don't really believe it's anything to do with that. As a female, I think the problem was quite the opposite... Having watched those movies and the surrounding hubbub it felt there was an absolute need for a female to be powerful at the cost of everyone else... Which everyone quite happily accepted because they felt it was needed in the current climate given the way other movies were heading, above everything else.

Well she’s the main character, the hero of the films; it’s pretty natural for her to be vaguely strong. Also in the second film, while Finn’s character was indeed being sidelined, she was having her crisis of faith moment. I’m not sure she was being made out to be powerful at the cost of everyone else.

Over Bond though, I think he cares, but very little... We could go over canonical representations in Fleming post OHMSS but that would be a whole 'nother thread in a nutshell plus involve some conjecture.... Personally, I would honestly hope that deep down he doesn't give a flying ---- ... to somewhat quote Fleming :).

I don’t think Bond cares about the number itself, and it certainly shouldn’t mean as much to him as it does to the fans (especially some of them, who two years ago were saying they wouldn’t see the film if any other character was made to be 007! :)) ) but I think he should react to being replaced, and the number being the same is just a sign to say that it is really is him who has been replaced.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    @mtm the fans will undoubtedly care more because IMHO there is some media pressure to be conditioned this way - as I say ... from what I remember in the past with other strong female characters it was never a big deal, suddenly it is now. I can't really pass comment on why this is nor do I feel qualified to really hold an opinion because it's a rabbit hole that my old butt has no real time to get into. But that is my take on it. Do I care or feel precious about it? Not particularly. I have confidence in EON and co.

I think you're right that it's more of a thing for fans... As for Bond.. I think it will be a minor blow to his ego.. While his ego is large, I would hope is ego kind of transcends it too ;). It would be the ultimate pay back... And somewhat fitting if it's just a one line dig and beyond that he doesn't care :).
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,688

Well she’s the main character, the hero of the films; it’s pretty natural for her to be vaguely strong. Also in the second film, while Finn’s character was indeed being sidelined, she was having her crisis of faith moment. I’m not sure she was being made out to be powerful at the cost of everyone else.

I know it's not, but some of this almost sounds like trolling. Rey is "vaguely strong", John Boyega is wrong to feel short-changed by Finn's development, there isn't necessarily a trope about Asian characters all being good at martial arts. It seems to mirror Disney's attitude about this stuff, where there is some amount of passion or vigilance when it comes to casting, but no attention is paid to what comes from the actual script.

Obviously we watch movies differently, and perhaps you are more surprised than I am at the fate of nighttime security guards and promiscuous teenagers in films, and perhaps you have no idea what kinds of characters Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson will play next. But did you ever notice a tendency in the past for women to play a lot of supportive housewives, or black actors to have less dialogue than their white counterparts?
    I have confidence in EON and co.

Me too. Even when they've made mistakes, it's still been pretty good!

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

I know it's not, but some of this almost sounds like trolling.

And that's where I stopped reading. 8-|

@mtm the fans will undoubtedly care more because IMHO there is some media pressure to be conditioned this way - as I say ... from what I remember in the past with other strong female characters it was never a big deal, suddenly it is now.

I'm not sure I know what you mean- do you mean people in the world in general are treating it like it's a big deal or in the film itself? If you don't want to talk about it that's cool though, no problem.

I think you're right that it's more of a thing for fans... As for Bond.. I think it will be a minor blow to his ego.. While his ego is large, I would hope is ego kind of transcends it too ;). It would be the ultimate pay back... And somewhat fitting if it's just a one line dig and beyond that he doesn't care :).

Oh yeah, I don't think he's going to be crying into his martini about someone else being 007: but it's just a nice little additional dig at him that he's been superseded. It's like the bit we saw in the trailer where the guy on the door of MI6 doesn't know his name- he's not going to be massively upset about it, but it's another nice little personal affront, and when combined these all put him on the back foot slightly. We want our hero to be placed in an uncomfortable situation so that he can best it.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Bond wrote: »

I feel sorry for Naomie Harris when I read these interviews, there's zero acknowledgement for Naomie at all. She's the first black Moneypenny and she was a field agent in Skyfall
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm sure I've heard Ms Lynch pay homage to Ms Harris in these interviews.
    I predict that Lynch will be the most annoying character since Boris in GE.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I predict that Lynch will be the most annoying character since Boris in GE.

Boris isnt annoying, he is... INVINCIBLE!

(Well, Boris is written to be somewhat annoying. I doubt Nomi has been.)