Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

Jordo007 wrote: »
    Bounine wrote: »
    I really can't help thinking that the Lynch character is going to hinder if not severely hinder my enjoyment of the film. I don't like what I've seen so far but we'll see...

Still no release date for NTTD here in China. Maybe I'll be waiting much longer to see this flick.

I'm going to give the character the benefit of the doubt but this is how I feel too

I'm getting Jinx vibes and it's something I wish they didn't repeat it in Daniel's last film, I really wanted to focus and celebrate his Bond more than anything else

Yeah, me too. For his last movie, I would have preferred not to have him working alongside someone in the same profession.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 2,598
    mtm wrote: »
    I think Safin’s got quite a bit of an attitude, but okay :D
    In terms of PWB, I wouldn't be surprised if she wrote that line that Bond delivers, "...that's why I've come back to play" or something like that. Not keen on this. Isn't something Bond would say.

I wonder why you blame her for that line.

It just seems like something she would write but who knows, of course.

Nomi just comes across as bitchy and annoying but I shouldn't say too much until after I've seen the film. From what I've seen, she just seems to have the sort of personality that I don't like in a person.
    I really can't help thinking that the Lynch character is going to hinder if not severely hinder my enjoyment of the film. I don't like what I've seen so far but we'll see...

Still no release date for NTTD here in China. Maybe I'll be waiting much longer to see this flick.

I'm going to give the character the benefit of the doubt but this is how I feel too

I'm getting Jinx vibes and it's something I wish they didn't repeat it in Daniel's last film, I really wanted to focus and celebrate his Bond more than anything else

Yeah, me too. For his last movie, I would have preferred not to have him working alongside someone in the same profession.

I agree with you both. I just wish Bond would literally fly solo. I mean, why oh why do they always have to give Bond a partner for the 3rd act. Most of the times, that's why 3rd acts suck. Jinx, Way Lin, or whatever, I've never liked it when Bond teams up with another agent (apart from 006 in GE, for obvious narrative reasons). One thing is teaming up with a character seeking revenge (Melinda, Camille, ...) but with an agent? Blah, never liked it. And it never worked for good effect, IMO.
    Yeah, I absolutely agree. I don't know why they do it. Bond should have gone to Safin's lair by himself. He swam across to Mr Big's island in the LALD book on his lonesome. He went up the mountain in OHMSS, solo. He penetrated Blofeld's castle in YOLT by himself... It's Nomi's presence that is putting me off this movie to an extent.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2021 Posts: 14,931
    I think Safin’s got quite a bit of an attitude, but okay :D
    In terms of PWB, I wouldn't be surprised if she wrote that line that Bond delivers, "...that's why I've come back to play" or something like that. Not keen on this. Isn't something Bond would say.

I wonder why you blame her for that line.

It just seems like something she would write but who knows, of course.

Nomi just comes across as bitchy and annoying but I shouldn't say too much until after I've seen the film. From what I've seen, she just seems to have the sort of personality that I don't like in a person.

We've seen only individual lines out of context though, not even a conversation yet. And Safin seems to have a worse personality. I would expect that in the early part of the film we're not supposed to like Nomi hugely: that's her role in it. We've seen that she doesn't think much of our man James to start with- obviously people who do that are rarely those who the audience side with initially.
    I can't think of lines like that which Waller-Bridge has written before, which are you thinking of? Tonally it seems very close to a lot of Bond's dialogue from Spectre to me.
    Univex wrote: »

I agree with you both. I just wish Bond would literally fly solo. I mean, why oh why do they always have to give Bond a partner for the 3rd act. Most of the times, that's why 3rd acts suck. Jinx, Way Lin, or whatever, I've never liked it when Bond teams up with another agent (apart from 006 in GE, for obvious narrative reasons). One thing is teaming up with a character seeking revenge (Melinda, Camille, ...) but with an agent? Blah, never liked it. And it never worked for good effect, IMO.

I prefer it to ones where he teams up with an army. That always left me cold.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,688
    It's also not really what I'm keen to see but of course he have to wait and find out how it goes. Pam is great in a supportive role on the final act of LTK, but she's off with her own role, and not right alongside Bond.

TND and DAD are good negative examples of what I don't want to happen (I'd throw in 006, but that's a minority view) but I think Holly's presence in the third act of Moonraker is absolutely fine, and I also enjoy the team dynamic at the end of FYEO. So it can work. Hopefully, and presumably, by the third act Nomi isn't going to be lowering her sunglasses and acting like a badass poser.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    TND and DAD are good negative examples of what I don't want to happen (I'd throw in 006, but that's a minority view)

Do you mean in the opening to GE? It's never occurred to me as being an issue, I must admit.

As with TND it looks like Bond is off on his own for a lot of the climax of this one anyway.
    TND and DAD are good negative examples of what I don't want to happen (I'd throw in 006, but that's a minority view)

Do you mean in the opening to GE? It's never occurred to me as being an issue, I must admit.

As with TND it looks like Bond is off on his own for a lot of the climax of this one anyway.

Yeah, I meant the opening. I have loads of issues with 006 anyway though, so it's me. But Natalya is another positive example. She's totally present in the final act, but has a different complementary skill set. It's perfect. Nomi leading or trailing with a giant gun is not promising. But again, like you, I suspect NTTD will be very much about James Bond being James Bond.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    She seems fine to me :) and I think PWB is gonna do a great job.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just think it's missing the point a bit to say that you don't like a character who is obviously being set up to be an antagonist (at first anyway): that's the point of antagonists. Safin is an antagonist: I don't like him, I'm not supposed to.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2021 Posts: 8,484
    I don't find the comparisons between Nomi and Jinx to be fair. Jinx was very one dimensional. Cheesy one liners seemed to be as far as they went with developing her character.

Nomi is in an uncomfortable situation: she's a relatively new agent (two years), who is confronting a senior/ex agent (possibly even taking his double-O number), and, as Lashana has said herself, she's a play-by-M's book kind of agent. She's trying to impress her superior, and she's trying to impress James Bond, so some of her "attitude" has come off as the character burying her own insecurities. She has to be full of bravado.

I don't think we will hear Nomi utter words like "your Momma" and the like... And although I have liked Berry in some other films, Lashana appears to be a far more subtle and polished actor.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »
    I don't think we will hear Nomi utter words like "your Momma" and the like...

Ha! Yes, very true :)
    I hope not! And I'm sure we won't.

And it's a good point @mtm makes that if the filmmakers want us to like Nomi, she's not going to be an insufferable poser for two hours and 43 minutes. Their relationship will evolve, or (far less likely) we will be meant to dislike her.

If Saunders ever appeared in a TLD trailer, it was surely bits of him in full Jobsworth mode, not the later new best friend mode!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    He swam across to Mr Big's island in the LALD book on his lonesome. He went up the mountain in OHMSS, solo. He penetrated Blofeld's castle in YOLT by himself.

Bond is cooler when goes solo.
    Having said that… in NTTD final showdown the two agent will split so there’s gonna be room for Bond doing his thing totally alone.
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 6,677
    The character of Nomi is not in question here. At least not for me. She may very well be the best written character of the entire cannon. What I don't like is Bond teaming up for the 3rd act. And Nomi could be played by Michael Fassbender for all I care, but I still wouldn't like it because, for me, it would be far more enjoyable to see Bond going solo against the mammoth, David vs Golias, ... And no, I don't like it when he joins a small army to do it either.

But I think there's a Bond film for each and every one of us just because of that. One likes to watch Bond alone on a mission, the other likes to see him with some sort of a partner That's the beauty of the series, there's something for everyone.

I just don't like buddy movies. Never did.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »
    He swam across to Mr Big's island in the LALD book on his lonesome. He went up the mountain in OHMSS, solo. He penetrated Blofeld's castle in YOLT by himself.

Bond is cooler when goes solo.

Yes, but he does also need someone to say cool things to :)

matt_u wrote: »
    Having said that… in NTTD final showdown the two agent will split so there’s gonna be room for Bond doing his thing totally alone.

Yes, although obviously we've barely seen any of it, pretty much everything we have seen of the final assault/climax features Bond alone.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I hope not! And I'm sure we won't.

And it's a good point @mtm makes that if the filmmakers want us to like Nomi, she's not going to be an insufferable poser for two hours and 43 minutes. Their relationship will evolve, or (far less likely) we will be meant to dislike her.

If Saunders ever appeared in a TLD trailer, it was surely bits of him in full Jobsworth mode, not the later new best friend mode!

I think Saunders is a good comparison. You dont initially like him, and youre supposed not to, but he does help out Bond later on and we do start to warm to him, up until him untimely demise.
    It's also not really what I'm keen to see but of course he have to wait and find out how it goes. Pam is great in a supportive role on the final act of LTK, but she's off with her own role, and not right alongside Bond.

TND and DAD are good negative examples of what I don't want to happen (I'd throw in 006, but that's a minority view) but I think Holly's presence in the third act of Moonraker is absolutely fine, and I also enjoy the team dynamic at the end of FYEO. So it can work. Hopefully, and presumably, by the third act Nomi isn't going to be lowering her sunglasses and acting like a badass poser.

Yeah, that's irritating.

It would be good if Nomi gets put out of action when she's in Safin's lair and then it's just Bond for the last half at least.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the end of this film. Will Nomi be killed? I hope so but that's probably wishful thinking. Will Bond stay with the service? I have a feeling he'll leave even though that's not what I want as Craig's films have all had continuity so when they usher in the new Bond they may disregard what happened before. My ideal scenario is that Nomi dies and Bond stays with the service and gets his 007 number back. He's quit before. It's overkill having him leave again although during the course of the movie he may not be officially working for the SIS again anyway. Having him stay with the service would have more poignancy. It's his life and the only kind of commitment he can have in it is for his employers.

I heard on the radio today that Barbara Broccoli is going to announce who the new Bond is soon after NTTD has been released. Has anyone else heard this or is it media rubbish?

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England

Yeah, that's irritating.

It would be good if Nomi gets put out of action when she's in Safin's lair and then it's just Bond for the last half at least.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the end of this film. Will Nomi be killed? I hope so but that's probably wishful thinking. Will Bond stay with the service? I have a feeling he'll leave even though that's not what I want as Craig's films have all had continuity so when they usher in the new Bond they may disregard what happened before. My ideal scenario is that Nomi dies and Bond stays with the service and gets his 007 number back. He's quit before. It's overkill having him leave again although during the course of the movie he may not be officially working for the SIS again anyway. Having him stay with the service would have more poignancy. It's his life and the only kind of commitment he can have in it is for his employers.

I heard on the radio today that Barbara Broccoli is going to announce who the new Bond is soon after NTTD has been released. Has anyone else heard this or is it media rubbish?

Depends on where you heard it and whether it was a sourced, direct quote from BB herself. If it wasn't, then I would assume it is media rubbish.

Re: Nomi, can't say I like what I see from the trailer. But as others on here have pointed out, it makes a certain amount of narrative sense for her to be in the plot - given that Bond is not an agent and might need shadowing etc, and especially if his involvement early on is in aid of Felix and not endorsed by Mi6. And secondly, it's a pretty normal character/narrative trait for personalities to clash early on and then find common ground/mutual respect later. If Madeline wasn't in the film, we'd all assume Nomi was the Bond girl and that their antipathy to each other turns to lust by the end. As it does in LTK and TSWLM.

I would have preferred him on a solo mission, but I would also have preferred for him not to have retired, not for his five film run to be one long overarching storyline, not for Blofeld to have known him in childhood, and pretty much everything to have been different after the end of CR. But all those ships have sailed. All I have left is to hope NTTD gives me some entertainment and Bond related content that can hold a candle to the best stuff in the series.

Nomi/Lynch deserve to be seen before we make judgement.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    We'll judge everything to do with NTTD when we see it...eventually
    I have my concerns over the Nomi character but I think that is the point of the marketing and the way the character has been shown to us.
    I think the trailers want to place us in Bond's shoes of being unsure about Nomi and then as we see the film we'll come to not only respect her but like her, as I'm sure Bond will

I just hope Lea and Ana's characters aren't short changed. I hope Lea's character is better written this time round, she's a great actress and I'm certain she can make Madeline a stronger and honestly more likeable character.

I'm just hoping Ana is in the film for more than 10 minutes 😅

Even if it's just for ten minutes, I'm sure it will be great. After all, Ana is both a gorgeous woman (those legs are proof positive that God exists) and a very talented actress (watch Knives Out if you don't believe me). I have all confidence in her.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Gerard wrote: »

Even if it's just for ten minutes, I'm sure it will be great. After all, Ana is both a gorgeous woman (those legs are proof positive that God exists) and a very talented actress (watch Knives Out if you don't believe me). I have all confidence in her.

Completely agree mate, she is a stunning woman. After watching Knives Out and Hands Of Stone, you can see she is a fantastic underrated actress. I thought she was the star of Knives Out
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Birdleson wrote: »
    After the last round of trailers, I'm leaning towards her not having been assigned the 007 moniker. I believe that was a red herring.

I think it will be a bit of a missed opportunity if she isn't.
    We'll judge everything to do with NTTD when we see it...eventually
    I have my concerns over the Nomi character but I think that is the point of the marketing and the way the character has been shown to us.
    I think the trailers want to place us in Bond's shoes of being unsure about Nomi and then as we see the film we'll come to not only respect her but like her, as I'm sure Bond will

I just hope Lea and Ana's characters aren't short changed. I hope Lea's character is better written this time round, she's a great actress and I'm certain she can make Madeline a stronger and honestly more likeable character.

I'm just hoping Nomi is in the film for 10 minutes. ;)

I shouldn't say this, what with not having seen the film. I just get the feeling she'll be a bit of an irritating leech throughout the movie. I can speculate... :)
    I’m just hoping they don’t pull a Masters Of The Universe and kill off Bond in the first half hour and have the rest of the film be about the strong liberated no nonsense female character.
    You know, it is possible to express justified concern about the excesses of wokism or whatever without indulging in silly hyperbole or becoming a complete caricature.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I’m just hoping they don’t pull a Masters Of The Universe and kill off Bond in the first half hour and have the rest of the film be about the strong liberated no nonsense female character.

Grow up
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    After the last round of trailers, I'm leaning towards her not having been assigned the 007 moniker. I believe that was a red herring.
    Thank you! I'm quite tired of reading people treating 'Nomi is 007' as a undisputed fact and then going on endless rants about wokeness (mostly from this rumor and the one line Lynch delivers in the trailer).

I realize I am in the minority in this belief, but I also was when everyone was claiming Spectre was going to be OHMSS 2.0.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You know, it is possible to express justified concern about the excesses of wokism or whatever without indulging in silly hyperbole or becoming a complete caricature.

I've not seen it happen yet ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    As long as James Bond's not revealed to have been a lizard all along I'll be happy enough with any eventuality. 🦎