Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

• ContrabandContraband Sweden
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thank you, @Mallory! I think that one really needed it.
    At this point, I hope people who have NOT seen the film but will see it within a day or two STAY OFF THIS FORUM (sorry forum owners). Then RETURN immediately after seeing it. B-)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Despite her small role, Paloma is one of my 3 favourite Bond girls of the past 30 years:

1. Vesper Lynd
    2. Xenia Onatopp
    3. Paloma

Snap!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Nomi, unfortunately, was an utter waste of time after all the hype. She spends most of the film on the periphery, pops by to trade jabs with Bond and then retreats to the periphery again. She played almost zero part in the advancement of the plot to the point where you could easily cut her out and the film wouldn't be any worse off, narratively. The idea of Bond losing his number to a newbie agent is an intriguing one, but I came out of NTTD thinking that they should have saved it for a film where they could actually explore it. It felt like an afterthought, here.

Yeah I tend to agree, she wasn’t really in it enough and barely got anything to do to the point where her character felt a bit of a dead end. Shunted off on the raft at the end, that’s it. I wasn’t affronted by her presence or anything, and I thought the 007 thing was a neat gag, but after a promising first encounter with Bond she just didn’t really go anywhere. It might have been better to have had the Cuba encounter fully about her and then ended her portion of the film there, at least she could have been centre stage for at least a bit of the film. And the “do you know what time it is?” line was possibly the worst sin of the film.
    I thought Lashana Lynch was amazing as Nomi. Paloma was a lot of fun as well.
    Can't stop thinking about this film.
    Wow.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought they were all very good in their roles: Madeline was the top one for me.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I thought Lashana Lynch was amazing as Nomi. Paloma was a lot of fun as well.
    Can't stop thinking about this film.
    Wow.

I have the same opinion. I reall liked Nomi as the new 007. And Paloma was so sweet in NTTD.
    BTW Even Madeleine role is better in NTTD than in Spectre.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Loved Nomi and wished we had a tiny bit more. Feels like something was cut?

She reminded me A LOT of Emma Peel. She had some body language and facial expressions that made me think of her.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I might be in the minority but I'm actually glad that Paloma had a small role. It was short and sweet, and as a result it instantly became a highlight of the film. It left me wanting more, and sometimes that's a good thing. I can't wait to watch that scene again on my second viewing tonight.

They were all fantastic. Nomi's rivalry with Bond was fun and handled well, and I've liked Madeline from the start so having her back was a real treat.
    Ryan wrote: »
    I might be in the minority but I'm actually glad that Paloma had a small role. It was short and sweet, and as a result it instantly became a highlight of the film. It left me wanting more, and sometimes that's a good thing. I can't wait to watch that scene again on my second viewing tonight.

They were all fantastic. Nomi's rivalry with Bond was fun and handled well, and I've liked Madeline from the start so having her back was a real treat.

Same here about Paloma. Although I'm not so sure about Nomi. In a way she's a Jinx done right, or at least better, but I'm not sure she brings all that much to the story.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,957
    Ludovico wrote: »

Same here about Paloma. Although I'm not so sure about Nomi. In a way she's a Jinx done right, or at least better, but I'm not sure she brings all that much to the story.

Yep, totally agreed. I think Paloma was perfect in her short role - I didn't need any more.

But Nomi should have got way more as she could have been important to the film- she starts out as being a really interesting antagonist, but she ends up being sidelined. She felt a bit nothingy in the end, I'm not sure I wouldn't have preferred for Moneypenny's role to have been beefed up instead as Harris is so good.

Maybe if they'd have had Nomi being sent after Madeline in Norway to apprehend or kill her after her assassination of Blofeld, so Bond and her actually go head to head and he convinces her to join him. A bit of tension, a bit of actual danger from Nomi- that might have been nice. But she just sits in her Aston Martin doing nothing. There's a story beat missing, she just accepts that Bond is good without any real climax to bring about a shift in their relationship.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,869
    While I thoroughly enjoyed Nomi in this film, the weakest part is the kind of odd moment where she's meant to be tracking Logan Ash, and only turns up to pick up James Bond. I think it would've made more sense to have Bond set up the traps that he does, take out a few of the pursuing henchmen, and then Nomi joins him in the forest and takes out some of the other henchmen herself.

Then Bond could maybe ask her to get to Madeleine, while Bond takes out Logan Ash, but before Nomi can get to Madeleine, she's taken by Safin before Nomi can find her. Nomi calls out to Bond that they've got her, leading Bond to try and follow the helicopter. Then, we have Nomi and Bond go to her car, where the rest of it plays out as it does.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    While I thoroughly enjoyed Nomi in this film, the weakest part is the kind of odd moment where she's meant to be tracking Logan Ash, and only turns up to pick up James Bond. I think it would've made more sense to have Bond set up the traps that he does, take out a few of the pursuing henchmen, and then Nomi joins him in the forest and takes out some of the other henchmen herself.

Then Bond could maybe ask her to get to Madeleine, while Bond takes out Logan Ash, but before Nomi can get to Madeleine, she's taken by Safin before Nomi can find her. Nomi calls out to Bond that they've got her, leading Bond to try and follow the helicopter. Then, we have Nomi and Bond go to her car, where the rest of it plays out as it does.

Yep, I like that. Maybe they wanted to make sure that Bond and her don’t become a double act (obviously they’re partnered in the next set piece) and he gets some action where he’s on his own, but it does make her look pretty useless to just turn up late, plus it means she just disappears from the film even though she’s supposed to be part of the main plot.
    Even DAD, for all it’s failings, integrates the two lead Bond women better than that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »

Yep, I like that. Maybe they wanted to make sure that Bond and she don’t become a double act (obviously they’re partnered in the next set-piece) and he gets some action where he’s on his own, but it does make her look pretty useless to just turn up late, plus it means she just disappears from the film even though she’s supposed to be part of the main plot.
    Yeah exactly, plus they may have wanted to make sure that Madeleien gets time to shine in that sequence, cause maybe having Nomi come in and partner up with Bond would have taken away from that? Possibly.
  • RyanRyan Canada

I suppose you might be right on her not adding much to the story, but at the very least she doesn't take anything away. I liked her just fine and was surprised overall that she didn't end up being a big part of the film.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Haven't seen the film yet, and don't know if this has been discussed here, but regarding Nomi's name:
    Nomi is her surname, and her given name starts with 'M'.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Haven't seen the film yet, and don't know if this has been discussed here, but regarding Nomi's name:
    Nomi is her surname, and her given name starts with 'M'.
    Wow, she really does have a future with MI6!

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Haha, the name is seen on M's wall screen.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Confirmed: Nomi will be the new M. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yep, I like that. Maybe they wanted to make sure that Bond and she don’t become a double act (obviously they’re partnered in the next set-piece) and he gets some action where he’s on his own, but it does make her look pretty useless to just turn up late, plus it means she just disappears from the film even though she’s supposed to be part of the main plot.
    Yeah exactly, plus they may have wanted to make sure that Madeleien gets time to shine in that sequence, cause maybe having Nomi come in and partner up with Bond would have taken away from that? Possibly.

Yeah I think so; although as you have it she could have been taking out some of the guys in the woods without even knowing Bond is there. Or I think perhaps she could have been coming for Madeline too so Bond and her were adversaries again.
    We’re agreed that she needed something to do anyway! :) It’s funny, I watched DAD last night and I was struck that for all it’s faults it does handle having two Bond women better than NTTD does.
    And when Frost says that Bond is a double O, what does he say? “It’s just a number” :)

I suppose you might be right on her not adding much to the story, but at the very least she doesn't take anything away. I liked her just fine and was surprised overall that she didn't end up being a big part of the film.

Me too, in that sense. She could have been another Jinx. I also love these little moments when her inexperience and insecurities get through.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So going back to the beginning of this thread a couple of years back, how did the people who said that they wouldn't accept another character holding the 007 number actually react to the film? Was it as terrible as you thought it would be and did it still make you angry?
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I had a wee giggle to myself about how much of a non-event it ended up being in the film despite so much being made of it way back when. It played out exactly how I figured it would, and it was funny how she flat out asks M to reassign the number to Bond. I recall there being discussion about how he'd get the number back and it ended up being very to the point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I had a wee giggle to myself about how much of a non-event it ended up being in the film despite so much being made of it way back when. It played out exactly how I figured it would, and it was funny how she flat out asks M to reassign the number to Bond. I recall there being discussion about how he'd get the number back and it ended up being very to the point.

Yes, considering it turned out the way many people feared (that she was 007 and he wasn't) I'm curious why I'm not seeing more people saying it spoiled the film for them.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond

Yes, considering it turned out the way many people feared (that she was 007 and he wasn't) I'm curious why I'm not seeing more people saying it spoiled the film for them.

When people who made a big fuss about something realize it wasn’t such a big deal after all, they tend to go quiet until they find the next thing they can be outraged at. ;)
    While I defended the justified to right to have some concerns, I was never worried about Nomi and assumed nobody would have problems with her after they saw the film. But some acknowledgement of what didn't happen would be nice to see, especially from the more hysterical...!
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    To me it was always obvious it was going to be a none event. The whole thing was overblown in the end. Bond held his own. He wasn't emasculated like some feared he might be. He was Bond. True to their word they tried to make stronger women characters to challenge Bond but he was still the same old James. And in the end he even gets the number back!

And I'm so glad I was right (as were other people who have already mentioned it in this thread) when I said it'll be a passing moment to him where he'll show some very brief annoyance and then move on because that's what he does best. It's always fun being vindicated and nailing something!
    00Heaven wrote: »
    To me it was always obvious it was going to be a none event. The whole thing was overblown in the end. Bond held his own. He wasn't emasculated like some feared he might be.

Or hoped! I don't think that Guardian writer will offer a mea culpa any more than the goofballs behind AstonLotus's videos will...

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    00Heaven wrote: »
    To me it was always obvious it was going to be a none event. The whole thing was overblown in the end. Bond held his own. He wasn't emasculated like some feared he might be. He was Bond. True to their word they tried to make stronger women characters to challenge Bond but he was still the same old James. And in the end he even gets the number back!

And I'm so glad I was right (as were other people who have already mentioned it in this thread) when I said it'll be a passing moment to him where he'll show some very brief annoyance and then move on because that's what he does best. It's always fun being vindicated and nailing something!

The way it did rankle him with Nomi taking the upper hand was very nicely reversed in M's office when he was reinstated and she was really jumpy about precisely which double-O number he'd been assigned. That was a good gag, and had Bond take the upper hand- very nicely done.

But as per usual, we can chalk this one (Nomi being 007) down as another of the 'oh my god that's outrageous!! They can't do that!' betrayals of the core of Bond which actually turns out to be totally fine and not even something people will especially remember the film for, much like the shocking casting of a bloke with fair hair as Bond a few years back. Much like, I suspect, something else which happens in this film which has upset a few folks at the moment.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Nomi being controversial is the biggest nonevent I can think of, for the past few decades, I think. I wasn't worried anyway. And it was very nicely played.

Here, just for smiles, are some lovely photos of Lea on set. I am so pleased with her performance of Madeleine in NTTD. She made such great choices as an actor to convey so much physically/body language/gestures, aside from the dialog.