Lashana Lynch as 007 and the Women of 'No Time to Die' (SPOILERS!)

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    So are folks genuinely thinking that the 007 logo will never be seen on a Bond movie again after this? I'm still trying to get a handle on the 'no one else should be 007' issue.

Oh it will be back,in the latter part of Bond 25 I should think,when CraigBond gets it once more,for whatever reason.
    So are folks genuinely thinking that the 007 logo will never be seen on a Bond movie again after this? I'm still trying to get a handle on the 'no one else should be 007' issue.

Nah, just stupid and fearful people think that.
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 71
    @mtm : Inversely. People are thinking that James Bond will 'never' be (=for a long time) seen on a 007 movie again after this.

(My problem is different.)

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,343

Speaking about me, I just think that this kind of twist - which is quite exciting as a premise for a sequel for SP - could work only for one movie. Because Nomi is not James Bond and because - if 25 would indeed end with Nomi alive and currently 007 - the next movie will be a reboot that won’t follow Craig’s arc.
    Univex wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    I have no problem with Nomi being 007 for a while.

Oh, and...

All 00s have a short life expectancy...except for James Bond.

Just saying.

Big +1!

I have no problems with Nomi being 007... for just ONE movie.

What Pierce suggests if I got it correctly is just wrong. 007 is not a moniker. Like it is not just a symbol that stands for something more. 007 is one of the codenames agents are being given in this franchise. The symbol that stands for this franchise’s success and legacy is JAMES BOND and everything he represents. JB is not interchangeable and will never be. As Nolan brilliantly showed in TDKR, everyone can be Batman, if he’s/she’s worth the cape. The same rule works for Cap America too. But we’re not talking superhero’s being a symbol that stands for something here. We are talking about the JAMES BOND franchise and this premise can work just for one movie. Again, JB is not interchangeable, nor 007 is a symbol that stands for something. JB is, and him being 007 is just a part of his mythology.

+1(000) to this, @matt_u - Mr. Roark. Changing a mythology forever is somewhat of an oxymoron. Mythologies, after all, are built upon archetypes.

Yea. Looking at the future the only way to carry on the saga is making Bond movies with Bond being agent 007. Simply because is part of the mythology and a distinctive element of the character in popular culture. It’s just so obvious.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    For the last time they're not gonna kill Nomi.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Well I'm just struggling to work out what the problem is.
    Denbigh wrote: »

Well, it depends. A kind of heroic death in order to save James ass à la May Day could work, even in the so called #MeToo era.

BTW I don't think that matters. Point is EoN will never produce a solo movie with Lashana Lynch as Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Nomi 007. That's the James Bond franchise, the longest running franchise ever, a cultural pop icon making the best numbers at the box-office since the Sixties. Bond 26 will be a -choose an actor- as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 movie, regardless Nomi's fate or whatever.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

Well, it depends. A kind of heroic death in order to save James ass à la May Day could work, even in the so called #MeToo era.

BTW I don't think that matters. Point is EoN will never produce a solo movie with Lashana Lynch as Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Nomi 007. That's the James Bond franchise, the longest running franchise ever, a cultural pop icon making the best numbers at the box-office since the Sixties. Bond 26 will be a -choose an actor- as Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 movie, regardless Nomi's fate or whatever.

+1

Me too.

Exactly!

What if they do, @Denbigh? (I think they will. And I think it'll happen just as @matt_u said). Like I said, all 00s have a short life expectancy. So will she. Probably.

If they retire/kill/pretend to kill Bond by the very end, and leave her as 007, it'll still be a one off. Bond26 will have a new James Bond 007.

Me too.

Exactly!

What if they do, @Denbigh? (I think they will. And I think it'll happen just as @matt_u said). Like I said, all 00s have a short life expectancy. So will she. Probably.

If they retire/kill/pretend to kill Bond by the very end, and leave her as 007, it'll still be a one off. Bond26 will have a new James Bond 007.

They got one heck of a marketing job to do in Bond 26 is all I have to say.
    EoN will never produce a solo movie with Lashana Lynch as Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Nomi 007.

After that, there is no such thing as "never".
    At most, the odds are very small.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think she may well die, yeah. She may even be a baddie, we don't know.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,869

Me too.

Exactly!

I just think it'll backfire if they do that. Also, with Phoebe on board, I don't think she'd let that happen. I understand people's annoyance with having to be careful, but if they fridge Nomi, there'll be hell to pay. Killing the black female lead to continue the arc of the white male lead doesn't look good. My guess is that Bond doesn't get his 00 status back, and Nomi remains 007 with Bond retiring for good, and yes Bond 26 will have a new male James Bond (007).

And @007Blofeld why does it need good marketing?
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Killing Nomi is more likely than keeping her as 007 in my opinion. There will obviously be a new Bond in 26, as the credits will say as well "James Bond will return"... which actually will be kinda weird if we see him retire lol...

Well i have no idea what will happen, but i have faith in EoN and I look forward to finding it out.
    and yes Bond 26 will have a new male James Bond (007)

Or 006, or 008, or 009. Because 007 is just a number.

I'm just kidding. :)
    Sani wrote: »
    EoN will never produce a solo movie with Lashana Lynch as Phoebe Waller-Bridge's Nomi 007.

You are just blowing this B25 twist out of proportions. Yes, life is full of surprises, but we are talking about a billion dollar franchise here. Making the movie you just quoted would mean throwing a billion dollar franchise down the toilet for no reason.

Me too.

Exactly!

I just think it'll backfire if they do that. Also, with Phoebe on board, I don't think she'd let that happen. I understand people's annoyance with having to be careful, but if they fridge Nomi, there'll be hell to pay. Killing the black female lead to continue the arc of the white male lead doesn't look good. My guess is that Bond doesn't get his 00 status back, and Nomi remains 007 with Bond retiring for good, and yes Bond 26 will have a new male James Bond (007).

And @007Blofeld why does it need good marketing?

Since you’re point seems to be influenced by the fear of media and some extremists backfire I’ll tell you one thing. From this perspective, it’s far better to see Nomi losing her life heroically that make her live just to pretend she never existed in the inevitable B26 reboot with a male, obviously, playing JB 007.

They could even have her kill Malek's character as part of that heroic act. It wouldn't be the first time that Bond doesn't kill the main baddie himself:

Well,Craig's Bond has only killed one out of the four main villains in his films,and that was Silva.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    00Agent wrote: »
    Killing Nomi is more likely than keeping her as 007 in my opinion. There will obviously be a new Bond in 26, as the credits will say as well "James Bond will return"... which actually will be kinda weird if we see him retire lol...

Yes, will be interesting to see what it says, if anything.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Well,Craig's Bond has only killed one out of the four main villains in his films,and that was Silva.

Well he did kind of kill Greene in a way....

They could even have her kill Malek's character as part of that heroic act. It wouldn't be the first time that Bond doesn't kill the main baddie himself:

Exactly great you brought the video out :) @Torgeirtrap this nothing new to Bond the media is very wrong.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

He was shot by Quantum, wasn't he?

You are just blowing this B25 twist out of proportions. Yes, life is full of surprises, but we are talking about a billion dollar franchise here. Making the movie you just quoted would mean throwing a billion dollar franchise down the toilet for no reason.

Exactly. Some people simply have not enough information to form an enducated opinion, and might think that movie producing is this strange and magical thing and that some studios just pull it out of their ass as they go along, based on their current mood. But as with everything there are certain rules to this game. Especially in Branding/Marketing/Sales etc. which all this is about.

Bond is a prestigeous legacy Brand that is running for 50 years now, which makes it very unique in Film history. it's well established why this franchise works and why people resonate with it and what they audience is looking for. No one will understand that better than EoN. If they break with the core values (changing the lead character), their future films will have no leg to stand on because they market their films on consistency and legacy. If you put a black woman in the lead you might as well start a new franchise from the ground up, because it will not be consistent with what came before. Why would you do that if you have a golden goose already? It's ridiculous

And their past films (which probably make them as much money as the new one if not more) will loose a great deal of value because they won't be in line with what the brand will be marketed as now, so the older stuff will slowly fade into obscurity, effectively killing the brand in the long run. Coca cola will not start tasting like beer all of a sudden, even if beer is more popular. That's not what coca cola is known for.

So nope, Bond is and will always remain a male-centric wish fullfilment action adventure with lots of hot girls, luxury and hedonism in spades, that's what makes it unique, it's their selling point.
    Everything else can be changed, but not the core character and appeal.

Well, and sending Blofeld in jail for the rest of his life forcing him wonder about how many interchangeable women will end up in Bond’s arms while looking at a prison wall is far a worse punishment for his little foster bro then mere death.

Exactly. Some people simply have not enough information to form an enducated opinion, and might think that movie producing is this strange and magical thing and that some studios just pull it out of their ass as they go along, based on their current mood. But as with everything there are certain rules to this game. Especially in Branding/Marketing/Sales etc. which all this is about.

Bond is a prestigeous legacy Brand that is running for 50 years now, which makes it very unique in Film history. it's well established why this franchise works and why people resonate with it and what they audience is looking for. No one will understand that better than EoN. If they break with the core values (changing the lead character), their future films will have no leg to stand on because they market their films on consistency and legacy. If you put a black woman in the lead you might as well start a new franchise from the ground up, because it will not be consistent with what came before. Why would you do that if you have a golden goose already? It's ridiculous

And their past films (which probably make them as much money as the new one if not more) will loose a great deal of value because they won't be in line with what the brand will be marketed as now, so it will slowly fade into obscurity. Coca cola will not start tasting like beer all of a sudden, even if beer is more popular. That's not what coca cola is known for.

So nope, Bond is and will always remain a male-centric wish fullfilment action adventure with lots of hot girls, luxury and hedonism in spades, that's what makes it unique, it's their selling point.

100% correct. The funny thing is, this is just so obvious it feels quite embarrassing to be “forced” to specify some things.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I feel that Nomi's potential sacrifice would be the inspiration for Bond to go back to active service in an official capacity.

I am still defiantly against the idea of killing Bond off.

Well, and sending Blofeld in jail for the rest of his life forcing him wonder about how many interchangeable women will end up in Bond’s arms while looking at a prison wall is far a worse punishment for his little foster bro then mere death.

And their past films (which probably make them as much money as the new one if not more) will loose a great deal of value because they won't be in line with what the brand will be marketed as now, so it will slowly fade into obscurity. Coca cola will not start tasting like beer all of a sudden, even if beer is more popular. That's not what coca cola is known for.

100% correct. The funny thing is, this is just so obvious it feels quite embarrassing to be “forced” to specify some things.

I kept myself from spelling it our for a week thinking "are people not getting this?!" :))
  • edited July 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Aaaah @matt_u @LeonardPine chaps,but,he didn't KILL them,only Silva. ;)
    I feel that Nomi's potential sacrifice would be the inspiration for Bond to go back to active service in an official capacity.

I am still defiantly against the idea of killing Bond off

Same here,if I know in advance this happens it might put me off going tbh.

True, but I was thinking more of having a Bond Girl killing the main baddie – which TB did so brilliantly all the way back in 1965. It's a great moment in that film.

But it's a good point re. Craig's main villains. He doesn't often see to killing them himself, does he!
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Exactly great you brought the video out :) @Torgeirtrap this nothing new to Bond the media is very wrong.

Strong female characters have been a part of the franchise since day one.

True, but I was thinking more of having a Bond Girl killing the main baddie – which TB did so brilliantly all the way back in 1965. It's a great moment in that film.

But it's a good point re. Craig's main villains. He doesn't often see to killing them himself, does he!
    007Blofeld wrote: »

Strong female characters have been a part of the franchise since day one.

@Torgeirtrap definitely +1

I am still defiantly against the idea of killing Bond off.

@CraigMooreOHMSS that would be perfect and please everyone I think.