Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    OOWolf wrote: »
    http://scottadkinsworld.com/scottadkinsjamesbondphotoshoot/

Honestly, I think Scott Adkins could make a great Bond. He's not too well known, which is good, he's a martial artist, fit, English, looks the part and has even played in some pretty good action flicks. He even did a Bond inspired photoshoot some years back. I posted the link above.

He can't act though.

True. Horrible choice.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Fassbender could be an interesting Bond but I doubt he's going to be the next Bond. If this new spy film becomes a franchise it will rule him out.

According to the following rumor, Henry Cavill is not returning as Superman:

June 14 2019

WB Reportedly Developing New Superman Movie Without Henry Cavill

We Got This Covered is reporting that a source close to them is stating that the Supergirl movie is looking to reinvent the cinematic Kryptonian mythos so as to bring in new version of Superman, sans Henry Cavill.

According to the report:

…we’ve also been informed that Warner Bros. is already developing a new Superman film and apparently, it won’t star Henry Cavill. It’s unknown at this time who will replace him, but our source is adamant that the actor is no longer attached to the role.

I guess this means he has more of a chance becoming Bond. How good his chances, hard to say, but he'd have no chance if he Warner Bros renewed his Superman contract. Cavill seems more likely than Fassbender although I reckon a new-ish actor - someone relatively unknown - is more likely to become the next Bond.

Shrugs is what it is
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    talos7 wrote: »
    With the new season of Lucifer airing I'm definately rooting for Tom Ellis

In many of his photos he has a comically, crazed look in his eye, much like a vaudevillian stage hypnotist . Possibly he’s trying too hard to be cool.

That's him beeing Lucifer. If you follow the show you'll understand why he does it. It isn't really much a 'Bond-like' role. But he's very good in it and considering how convincing he is in other roles I have no doubt he could get into the character of Bond as well.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Cavill would be good in water based scenes as he would have no problem floating.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    8-|
  • peterpeter Toronto
    C'mon, that was funny, lol!
    peter wrote: »
    C'mon, that was funny, lol!

Yes, really well done, @Shardlake. And I totally agree, btw.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Murdock wrote: »
    8-|
    +1
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    What's Henry's favorite exercise? Planking
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Shardlake has now started something!...
  • manovermanover uk
    Personally still think they will go with someone relatively unknown.
    Henry cavill is too famous.
    Considering the bond 26 will be at least 4 years after the release of bond 25. Looking at actor who is late 20s/early 30s.
    I think the following will have a shot.
    Jack lowdon
    Aaron taylor johnson
    Richard madden ( unless he does the marvel movie).
    Adrian turner
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,677
    manover wrote: »
    Personally still think they will go with someone relatively unknown.
    Henry cavill is too famous.
    Considering the bond 26 will be at least 4 years after the release of bond 25. Looking at actor who is late 20s/early 30s.
    I think the following will have a shot.
    Jack lowdon
    Aaron taylor johnson
    Richard madden ( unless he does the marvel movie).
    Adrian turner

That last one...yep...I'd go with that last one ;) Very suitable candidate. Has the looks and the acting chops.
    talos7 wrote: »
    What's Henry's favorite exercise? Planking

You win the thread.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Adrian Turner another new hat in the ring, any relation of Aidan?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The question after Bond 25 is, has Daniel Craig finished with the role?
    If not, there's no point wondering who the next Bond will be for some time yet.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Adrian Turner another new hat in the ring, any relation of Aidan?
    eheh, just noticed that. Funny thing, google that name and you'll get...you guessed it, Aidan Turner. All paths lead to Rome and all of that.
    Eon have history of going back to someone they've considered before - Moore, Dalton and Brosnan all being examples of this - maybe Henry Cavill stands a chance. didn't realise he's only 36.
    Henry Cavill is the guy to beat at the moment. For the reasons already explained. Eon do have a tendency to go back to people they were impressed with in the past.

For those saying that Cavill can't act. Yes. You're correct. He can't.

Though, if Eon did want to return to the more fun and loose Bond, then there really isn't much acting required. Plus, Cavill did a pretty good job at being charismatic and charming in the UNCLE reboot.

additionally, clearly he has something. i mean he was Superman and his csting was signed off by Christopher Nolan for God's sake! Even if Zack Synder did everything in his power to destory Nolan's faith in him.

His biggest problem is that he's a PR nightmare and his entire career has stalled. He was recently let go from his contract with Warner to play Superman.

He's no longer the up-and-comer he was 10 years ago. Now he joins the list of actors who Hollywood tried to make leading men and failed.

But he's seriously got the Bond look.

giphy.gif

Personally, I quite the look of Jamie Dornan

th?id=OIP.v5KCt3hdTUJ7xSxvpXUoBwHaJ4&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 3,333
    His biggest problem is that he's a PR nightmare and his entire career has stalled. He was recently let go from his contract with Warner to play Superman.

He's no longer the up-and-comer he was 10 years ago. Now he joins the list of actors who Hollywood tried to make leading men and failed.
    Is he really, though? I seem to recall the Superman fallout was over Warners demanding that Cavill appear in Shazam! and for him to commit to further DC cameo roles without even renegotiating his contract. You might as well call Roger Moore a PR nightmare for not agreeing to sign an extended contract to play Bond after the success of TSWLM. As you might recall, that didn't stop Cubby from returning time after time to offer the TV star more money to sign on for another 007 picture, albeit one movie at a time. You see, Moore was very canny. And what about Chris Pine not signing up for another Star Trek movie, effectively stalling and finally contributing to the cancellation of the entire franchise? Does that not make him, too, a PR nightmare? Regardless, it hasn't stopped Pine from getting more work elsewhere. Cough... Wonder Woman 1984!!

Of course, there were those totally unsubstantiated reports of the production of The Witcher being held up over Cavill accepting repeated side-gigs, but those were just from some minor-league clickbait site just trolling the actor. In other words, fake news.

Again, you're right that Cavill's no longer the "up-and-comer" he once was 10 years ago, but then there'd be something seriously wrong if he was still being pegged as such, now that he's already broken through. Surely we can also add Idris Elba to the list of actors who Hollywood tried to make a leading men out of but failed miserably at? The BO results tends to show Elba works best with an ensemble cast and not in a movie that he's actually headlining, but I'm guessing that still won't rule him out of certain member's eyes here as the next 007.

Having said that, I don't dislike your Jamie Dornan suggestion, though I'm still rooting for Aiden Turner who also happens to fit your up-and-comer requirement.
    Henry Cavill is the guy to beat at the moment. For the reasons already explained. Eon do have a tendency to go back to people they were impressed with in the past.

For those saying that Cavill can't act. Yes. You're correct. He can't.

Though, if Eon did want to return to the more fun and loose Bond, then there really isn't much acting required. Plus, Cavill did a pretty good job at being charismatic and charming in the UNCLE reboot.

additionally, clearly he has something. i mean he was Superman and his csting was signed off by Christopher Nolan for God's sake! Even if Zack Synder did everything in his power to destory Nolan's faith in him.

But he's seriously got the Bond look.

giphy.gif

Personally, I quite the look of Jamie Dornan

th?id=OIP.v5KCt3hdTUJ7xSxvpXUoBwHaJ4&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

I believe it's completely wrong that a bad actor is the key to lighter films, it still takes enormous talent to be great in light roles.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Chris Hemsworth's latest film is bombing - MIB International. I wouldn't be surprised if his agent/press people release stuff about him wanting to be the next Bond. Outside of Avengers or Thor it's arguably his only chance of big box office - such is the fickle nature of modern day Hollywood fame.
    Speaking to Balance , Hemsworth revealed he would definitely be up for the role of the secret agent.

He said: 'When we were shooting Rush someone had said that and I thought, "Cool, if this is my audition tape, then great." I don't think you'll ever meet anyone who doesn't want to have a crack at James Bond. I'd love to do it."

"But that's up to so many elements and is way beyond myself; it's not one you can pitch yourself on to either."

I mentioned this in another post - Cavill returning to tv might improve his chances. Cheaper to cast, not as popular as when he was Superman. It's kinda weird to think his chances may improve if he sticks to tv acting. Cavill, like Hemsworth, is unlikely to ever open a big movie on name only (few actors do) so it's very unlikely he'll be expensive to cast as Bond. Warner Bros aren't prepared to pay big bucks to keep him on as Superman.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Of all the names mentioned on every page, Hemsworth is probably the worst.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Benny wrote: »

I'd be wholeheartedly surprised if Craig returns for another. I hope it's not the case, lest we wait another 4-5 years for another installment, followed by another 4-5 years awaiting the next actor (or however long it would likely take). I say it's time for him to move on after this one.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Of all the names mentioned on every page, Hemsworth is probably the worst.

And Aaron Taylor Johnson. And to think people say Cavill can't act. =))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »

I'd be wholeheartedly surprised if Craig returns for another. I hope it's not the case, lest we wait another 4-5 years for another installment, followed by another 4-5 years awaiting the next actor (or however long it would likely take). I say it's time for him to move on after this one.

I think this will definitely be his last. No bringing Craig-Bond back, which pains me to say. He's the best man in the tux (IMO), since Connery. And by a quite a wide margin, for me.

So I am making every effort to enjoy this ride. It'll be the last one I take with Mr. Craig (as Mr. Bond).

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I like Hemsworth and think he deserves a screentest. Apart from being physically suited for the role he possesses a quality that can’t be coached or trained, tremendous charisma.
  • mattjoesmattjoes matjoevakia
    Cavill being a "PR nightmare" sounds like a big exaggeration to me. His commercial appeal has probably declined to some extent, but PR nightmare? He just quit a role because a business agreement couldn't be reached. He didn't trash a hotel room, or insult anyone, or anything (right?).

M_Blaise wrote: »
    I believe it's completely wrong that a bad actor is the key to lighter films, it still takes enormous talent to be great in light roles.
    I agree. It requires perhaps a different set of skills than dramatic acting, but it takes skill.

The Cavill joke was pretty funny and in-genious (read as Kananga), even if I'm not necessarily in agreement with the point it makes!
    I also think it's Craig's last. I also fear we will get another incredibly long gap before B26. I do hope I'm wrong about that and we get a new Bond in 2022.
    Boyle says Pattinson.
    I've been saying Hemsworth for a while.
    The Ozzies have an old school masculinity and charisma few can match.