Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    Benny wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Jackman could have been an incredible Bond ; few actors can deftly pull off charming and brutal, Jackman can . He would have been a combination of Moore and Craig.

But according to reports, he was considered to 'fey' for Bond. I think he could've been a great Bond, but it wasn't to be.

Open secret about HJ's private life in Hollywood. Today, views have changed so the producers might have lived with it, same with the Bodyguard chap, let's see if his private life goes against the Bond brand values as they were or indeed as they are. Isn't he the hot fav at the moment?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited June 2019 Posts: 7,973
    Jackman could have been an incredible Bond ; few actors can deftly pull off charming and brutal, Jackman can . He would have been a combination of Moore and Craig.

But according to reports, he was considered to 'fey' for Bond. I think he could've been a great Bond, but it wasn't to be.

Open secret about HJ's private life in Hollywood. Today, views have changed so the producers might have lived with it, same with the Bodyguard chap, let's see if his private life goes against the Bond brand values as they were or indeed as they are. Isn't he the hot fav at the moment?

Please now, open secret, or salacious speculation and gossip based more on his versatility as a performer and certain roles he’s played ?

• conradhankersconradhankers Underground

Please now, open secret, or salacious speculation and gossip based more on his versatility as a performer and certain roles he’s played ?

no not really. his management wanted him to come out last year but he didn't and so what to be honest. i was just observing how times are changing; a lgbqt actor playing Bond would be exciting and interesting. They are just playing a role afterall.

Our own Strawberry Fields let the bag out on a Marvel superhero actor before the interview was pulled very quickly. I suppose the Chinese and the eastern movie markets would have a say on what sort of actor plays Bond. Hence why we've never had a black actor play Bond, the Chinese market would hate it. See the awful state of affairs when the Star Wars posters were doctored/changed to hide Finn. It took all of Disney's might to make Black Panther a half decent success over there but it's a Marvel IP so it might have had a pass because of that.

no not really. his management wanted him to come out last year but he didn't and so what to be honest. i was just observing how times are changing; a lgbqt actor playing Bond would be exciting and interesting. They are just playing a role afterall.

Our own Strawberry Fields let the bag out on a Marvel superhero actor before the interview was pulled very quickly. I suppose the Chinese and the eastern movie markets would have a say on what sort of actor plays Bond. Hence why we've never had a black actor play Bond, the Chinese market would hate it. See the awful state of affairs when the Star Wars posters were doctored/changed to hide Finn. It took all of Disney's might to make Black Panther a half decent success over there but it's a Marvel IP so it might have had a pass because of that.

Again, rumors...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Regardless, I think Jackman would've been well received and accepted as Bond.
    Yeah, he'd have been good. Was he seriously on the radar back then?
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yeah, he'd have been good. Was he seriously on the radar back then?

Apparently so....
    “I was about to do X-Men 2 and a call came from my agent asking if I’d be interested in Bond,” Jackman revealed in a new interview with Variety. “I just felt at the time that the scripts had become so unbelievable and crazy, and I felt like they needed to become grittier and real.”

X-Men 2 began filming summer 2002. He says he was about to do X-Men 2 so that would have been earlier in 2002. Brosnan was still Bond, of course, in 2002, Brosnan revealed he was not coming back in July 2004. Prior to that point it seems unlikely any actor would know for definite they would have a chance at playing Bond. It's possible Jackman said no in 2002 but he may have been approached by Eon in 2005?

In 2015 Hugh Jackman said he would seriously consider the part:
    The actor said he was approached for the role about 10 years ago, just before Daniel Craig was chosen to play Bond, but the timing was wrong.

“I sort of have [been asked],” the star told Australian television show The Project on Wednesday. "At the time I was just about to do X-Men 2 and I was like, ‘Ah, I don’t think it’s the right time. But it was not an easy one to give up.”

Jackman said if Craig, who is his friend, stepped aside he may step in, if asked.

“I’d seriously consider it,” he told the program.

Bit late now...

Well Craig was pretty hesitant about taking the role too.

An indication of the depth of the creative rut that Bond was stuck in by 2002.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    tbh I'm glad he didn't do it. It gave him the chance of making wolverine one of the best characters of the x-men story and for me, the only worthwhile. Loved his good-beye film. And we didn't end up with a bad Bond either. He could've been great, Iagree on that. But I'm glad he didn't.

Wolverine too faye. Funny world.
    Personally, I want Idris Elba. He's a great actor, has a terrific look and is his career narrative has been shaped around this role.

Whoever gets cast as Bond No.6 will be as much in Elba's shadow as Craig's. If they cast someone like Henry Cavill then I can guarantee the day they announce it, Elba's name will be trending worldwide over his or anyone else's.

If Eon decide to release Bond 26 to meet the 50th anniversary in 2022, then Elba will be 50. He looks good. Perhaps not young. But his appeal is that he's a alpha masculine guy who appears grizzled and tough.

You can get at least 2 (maybe three movies) during that time you keep the same cast of MI6 cast. Then you can reboot with Bond actor No.7

These recent Vanity Fair pictures of a clean-shaven Elba have convinced me that he is the man to beat still.......................

Idris-Elba-08-2019-cover.jpg

Idris-Elba-08-2019-embed02.jpg

Idris-Elba-08-2019-embed01a.jpg

Idris-Elba-08-2019-embed01b.jpg

Idris-Elba-08-2019-lede.jpg
    I think we're on Bond number 6 now aren't we?
    Elba could have been okay I think but is now too old anyway so not realisticaly a contender anymore.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    You have an odd definition of clean shaven. I would love Elba to have his own series but I don't think he would be a good bond. He does action fine, but bond is way more than that.
    (:| (:| Wake me up when the talk of Elba being Bond has died down. He might be a good actor, but he's not Bond. Even he himself has ruled himself out.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,279
    Idris Elba is too old now. Would love it if he'd be cast as a villain though. I could imagine a very physical fight against whoever plays Bond in Bond 26.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Pierce2Daniel wrote:

Whoever gets cast as Bond No.6 will be as much in Elba's shadow as Craig's. If they cast someone like Henry Cavill then I can guarantee the day they announce it, Elba's name will be trending worldwide over his or anyone else's.

I don't think the next Bond actor will be in Elba's shadow. Seems a tad silly or an over-exaggeration given the fact Elba has never played Bond. ;)) Why should the next Bond actor care what Elba has done in his career? It has no relevance to the next Bond actor.

It's patently obvious Elba or his PR management have to keep coming back to Bond. As Elba has said many times, he's never been approached to play the part so it's not as if he's had a screentest. It's like he's too desperate for the part or the media are so desperate for him to play the part he has to respond to their comments. To be fair to the guy he has to deal with the whole 'Black Bond' debate and I'm sure he finds that tiresome. He admits it's disheartening:
    Elba has now opened up about the racist backlash, telling Vanity Fair: "You just get disheartened, when you get people from a generational point of view going, 'It can't be And it really turns out to be the colour of my skin. And then if I get it and it didn't work, or it did work, would it be because of the colour of my skin? That's a difficult position to put myself into when I don't need to."

Elba also confirmed that he (so far) hasn't been offered the role, though would not turn it down if the phone call came his way.

... but he or his PR team can't seem to let go of the Bond connection. I think it's an easy or lazy way to maintain his media profile. Elba could say "I don't want to talk about Bond" but clearly he wants the part. Just for the record: he said he did want it, then said he didn't want it and now says he wants it again!
    So James Bond, the man as written by the author Ian Fleming, would then truly be lost. Ok, do the gender, racial, characteristics swap/change. Who cares, right? Who cares about anything these days anyways, right?

What a mess people are nowadays. Do carry on.
    Idris Elba is too old now. Would love it if he'd be cast as a villain though. I could imagine a very physical fight against whoever plays Bond in Bond 26.

The 'too old' argument does not work.

Firstly, the current actor playing the role in the upcoming film is 51. That does not disqualify him from starring in that film.

Plus, if there is a narrative reason for a particular actor of a certain age playing the role then that would necessitate an older person being hired. We don't know what direction Bond 26 will go in, but there is a chance that the 'older Bond' story will be continued.

Basically, Idris isn't 'too old' yet. Eon would be foolish if they didn't at least meet and screentest him for the role. He has all the ingredients to be the perfect screen Bond.

You can even bring back CJF for his first outing (if Bond 25 works out)

beasts-of-no-nation-variety-cover-small.jpg?w=670
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It depends when Bond 26 gets off the ground. Could be 2023, in that case the actor around today will still be very much in the running. Remember the actors are always cast around a year before the movie comes out.

The 'too old' argument does not work.

Firstly, the current actor playing the role in the upcoming film is 51. That does not disqualify him from starring in that film.

Plus, if there is a narrative reason for a particular actor of a certain age playing the role then that would necessitate an older person being hired. We don't know what direction Bond 26 will go in, but there is a chance that the 'older Bond' story will be continued.

Basically, Idris isn't 'too old' yet. Eon would be foolish if they didn't at least meet and screentest him for the role. He has all the ingredients to be the perfect screen Bond.

You can even bring back CJF for his first outing (if Bond 25 works out)

IMO it does work out. He'll be over or close to 50 when he starts (if he's cast), and he'll be closer to Moore's AVTAK age before he'll do another – looking at the current gaps between each film. I feel that any Bond actor should be no older than 40/41 when he's filming his first film. That increases the likelihood of getting two or more films out of the guy before the next actor comes around.

If they do "older Bond" films, that's an entirely different question, but I sure hope they won't explore that idea.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't explore a much younger Bond at some point. I know its an idea MGW had around the time of TLD, but Cubby was against the idea of seeing a younger Bond. However, as we know EON have in the past re-visited old ideas from time to time. Gives them a lot of leeway with an actor in his mid to late 20's or early 30's. And is also an potential gold mine of story ideas, using a young Bond. Not saying I like the idea, but it's an avenue EON may look down.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't explore a much younger Bond at some point. I know its an idea MGW had around the time of TLD, but Cubby was against the idea of seeing a younger Bond. However, as we know EON have in the past re-visited old ideas from time to time. Gives them a lot of leeway with an actor in his mid to late 20's or early 30's. And is also an potential gold mine of story ideas, using a young Bond. Not saying I like the idea, but it's an avenue EON may look down.

Cavill couldn't have been old at the time he was considered, either?

He'd have been 22/23 at the time of his CR screentest.
    I would love to see Elba a spy but not James Bond. He has NEVER been considered by EON, with Barbara Broccoli only giving diplomatic, polite replies when his name is mentioned. His potential as Bond is a product of the sensationalism driven tabloids and often his name is brought up for a single reason, to be provocative.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,279

He'd have been 22/23 at the time of his CR screentest.

That's sure very young (for Bond). Just shows that they considered a younger Bond as recently as CR – which would have made sense given the plot. funny to think if Cavill had been cast at that time (regardless what you might think of him as an actor), he could have been in production with his fifth film, at age 36! He could easily have done ten films as Bond with the timeframe between each film.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're in for such a longer gap after B25 it will make the LTK-GE era look like the blink of an eye. Elba, Hiddleston, Turner, etc all will have moved on by then. I think the next Bond actor is probably only about 5 years old at the moment.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're in for such a longer gap after B25 it will make the LTK-GE era look like the blink of an eye. Elba, Hiddleston, Turner, etc all will have moved on by then. I think the next Bond actor is probably only about 5 years old at the moment.

Where do you get this idea @ToTheRight ?
    I see no reason to suggest we'll get an extensive delay after Bond 25.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The gaps are certainly getting longer as time goes on.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The two old argument does work when you are looking at 3/4/5 year gaps.

Too old or not white, take your pick, but Elba will never be Bond. The sooner people accept that, then they can avoid the disappointment when Bond actor #6 is cast.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 15,804
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Where do you get this idea @ToTheRight ?
    I see no reason to suggest we'll get an extensive delay after Bond 25.

I absolutely detest my own opinion on this and hope it changes.

B25 follows the second longest gap in the series' history. Previous record breaking gaps ( GE and CR resulted in a new film which intended to re-start the franchise, or even reintroduce the franchise to newer audiences who may have never experienced a Bond in the cinema. Both GE and CR were essentially a new beginning for the series with the original intent of a new film every couple of years. Cubby's tradition, really. The Craig era continued that tradition with QoS, until the MGM bankruptcy put a halt on a possible 2010 or even 2011 release.

SF's longer gap resulted in a new contract for Craig which included an additional 2 films. Considering the plot points in SF which put Bond in his traditional MI6 environment (Q, Moneypenny, the old office) I would count that as a new beginning.
    At the time, I would never have guessed it would take all the way until 2020 for Craig to complete this contract.
    Since SF the idea of a new film every two years seems a bit too optimistic and at this point the long gaps have become the norm.

I see no indication that B25 is any sort of new beginning, but rather a closing. Essentially milking the Craig era for one more film.
    Afterwards I can completely see Barbara and Michael wanting to take more time off after this one to re-evaluate direction of the series, and it's future.
    After that is sorted out I can see Barbara and Michael taking yet another couple years to decide on casting for Bond.

The quantity of Bond films have diminished with each passing decade. By that rationale one could expect only one film in the 2020's, then zero in the 2030's if indeed, that streak continues.
    I do hope that diminishing streak changes in the next decade and that MGM and Universal gives the series a much needed boost to get things going regularly again.
    Personally, I want Idris Elba. He's a great actor, has a terrific look and is his career narrative has been shaped around this role.

If Eon decide to release Bond 26 to meet the 50th anniversary in 2022, then Elba will be 50. He looks good. Perhaps not young. But his appeal is that he's a alpha masculine guy who appears grizzled and tough.

You can get at least 2 (maybe three movies) during that time you keep the same cast of MI6 cast. Then you can reboot with Bond actor No.7

These recent Vanity Fair pictures of a clean-shaven Elba have convinced me that he is the man to beat still.......................

Idris-Elba-08-2019-cover.jpg

Idris-Elba-08-2019-embed02.jpg

Idris-Elba-08-2019-embed01a.jpg

Idris-Elba-08-2019-embed01b.jpg

Idris-Elba-08-2019-lede.jpg

With the greatest of respect, Elba is not Bond. I like the guy a lot but not for Bond. Also I suspect you may have been on the Vespers? As DC is Bond number 6 and its the 60th Anniversary that is soon approaching. ;)) ;)