Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Boyle says Pattinson.
    I've been saying Hemsworth for a while.
    The Ozzies have an old school masculinity and charisma few can match.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Boyle says Pattinson.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jun/21/danny-boyle-they-should-get-robert-pattinson-to-be-the-next-james-bond

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2019 Posts: 13,894
    OOWolf wrote: »
    http://scottadkinsworld.com/scottadkinsjamesbondphotoshoot/

Honestly, I think Scott Adkins could make a great Bond. He's not too well known, which is good, he's a martial artist, fit, English, looks the part and has even played in some pretty good action flicks. He even did a Bond inspired photoshoot some years back. I posted the link above.

He can't act though.

When people critisize Dalton, one... thing, I often see brought up is that "you don't need the worlds best actor". Adkins might not be a respected thesp, but he can dish out an ass whopping as good as Olivier could recite Shakespeare. If he grows his hair out a little, and shaves, he could turn up on set tomorrow, and take over.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Getafix wrote:

To put it bluntly, Chris Hemsworth has zero box office appeal. I looked at the box office stats for his 2015 film Blackhat. It's genuinely shocking!

Budget:$70,000,000 (estimated)
    Opening Weekend USA: $4,415,000, 18 January 2015, Wide Release
    Gross USA: $8,005,980, 31 December 2015

Based on its budget - it must be one of the biggest flops of all time. Only made eight million US on a budget of 70 million. That is a crazy small gross for such a high budget film with, I assume, decent marketing. No-one went to see it.

I think the problem is the media can overhype an actor's appeal. Hemsworth has zero box office appeal beyond playing Thor. That was established back in 2015 and we're in 2019 and nothing has changed. This is why MIB International has opened under 30 million. He has no broad appeal. He just happens to play Thor and people want to see Thor films and want to see Avengers films. It's not Hemsworth himself that brings in the people. That's not to say he is a bad actor or bad at playing Thor but it's the appeal of Thor and the comic book world that make people want to see those films.

Eon could find a good looking unknown, his fee a tiny amount compared to Hollywood standards (for example: £50,000 for Bond 26) and he'd be as profitable or not as profitable as Hemsworth as Bond. Why hire a proven box office loss maker like Hemsworth when you can find an unknown who'll be far cheaper to hire, have no flops on his CV. I think Bond doesn't need any 'star' playing the part. The whole concept of 'stars' does tend to fall apart when you look at box office grosses. Idris Elba is another actor given the overhype effect and he's not delivered much or any box office clout.

I'd put a fiver on the next Bond actor having zero box office clout prior to getting the part. It's going to be a relatively unknown actor with no major leading man roles on his CV. Assuming Babs and MG don't retire after Craig goes, they'll cast someone relatively unknown.
    You are probably right.
    But your comments about Hemsworth seem contradictory. You point out that he can't be Bond because has no BO appeal beyond Thor but then say that BO appeal is not required to be Bond. Which is it?

I agree that you don't need to be a big star to be Bond. Anyway few actors like that exist anymore. How many people go to see a film just to see the actor these days?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    The question after Bond 25 is, has Daniel Craig finished with the role?
    If not, there's no point wondering who the next Bond will be for some time yet.

I'd be wholeheartedly surprised if Craig returns for another. I hope it's not the case, lest we wait another 4-5 years for another installment, followed by another 4-5 years awaiting the next actor (or however long it would likely take). I say it's time for him to move on after this one.
    I agree with @Creasy47. As good as Craig is, it's now time to move on. I highly doubt Craig will want to jump back in and do Bond 26, so I think it's best for everyone that a replacement is found sooner rather than later.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    If you think about it, none of the actors who have played James Bond has had box office clout.
    Connery was an unknown when hired.
    Lazenby was the same.
    Moore was a tv actor with some film work.
    Dalton was a film and stage actor without be an A-list actor.
    Brosnan was the same as Moore, a tv actor with some film work.
    Craig is also of a similar vein. No box office appeal before Bond.
    Bond is the appeal, if the audience like the guy playing Bond, then the box office will likely follow. It's a truly unique role and series within the world of film.
    Hemsworth could easily fit the role, despite his apparent lack of box office performance.
    He'd have to be on the list of possible candidates alongside, Cavill, Turner et al.
  • manovermanover uk
    Realistically it wont be hemsworth.
    And as stated pattinson is batman..
    Wont be these two...look further afield
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    manover wrote: »
    Realistically it wont be hemsworth.
    And as stated pattinson is batman..
    Wont be these two...look further afield

Hemsworth is absolutely a viable candidate.
    Realistically it too early to dismiss him.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2019 Posts: 40,490
    I don't think I would care for Hemsworth as Bond whatsoever, but there are certainly worse choices.
  • manovermanover uk
    From bond history i would suggest its very unlikely that someone of hemsworth fame would be in frame for the bond job.
  • manovermanover uk
    That prob also includes cavill
    From bond history i would suggest its very unlikely that someone of hemsworth fame would be in frame for the bond job.

These are different times.

talos7 wrote: »

These are different times.

Yes I agree. Although big name recognition is less and less important in box office success from what I understand.

I think Hemsworth must be in the mix. But perhaps EON are once bitten twice shy when it comes to Australians.
    Personally, I don't have a problem with another Australian playing Bond. From the female side of Hollywood, the ladies seem to be much better represented than the males at the moment. I've lost count of the times I've watched a Hollywood movie only to discover the lead actress was a former Neighbours or Home & Away star. Take Bella Heathcote, Mia Wasikowska, and Rose Byrne for instance, just to name but a few. I never knew that they were all Australians. If they can find a suitable male candidate from Down-under that's better than either Aidan Turner or Henry Cavill, then I don't see why not.
    Sarah Snook is another Aussie to watch. Anyone who hasn't seen Succession should check it out.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Getafix wrote: »
    Sarah Snook is another Aussie to watch. Anyone who hasn't seen Succession should check it out.

What, for Bond?
    Nope

Honestly, I think Scott Adkins could make a great Bond. He's not too well known, which is good, he's a martial artist, fit, English, looks the part and has even played in some pretty good action flicks. He even did a Bond inspired photoshoot some years back. I posted the link above.

He can't act though.

When people critisize Dalton, one... thing, I often see brought up is that "you don't need the worlds best actor". Adkins might not be a respected thesp, but he can dish out an ass whopping as good as Olivier could recite Shakespeare. If he grows his hair out a little, and shaves, he could turn up on set tomorrow, and take over.
    That sounds like a Stuntman for the Bond Actor.

In reality, anyone who plays Bond must have some kind of acting talent. Roger Moore wouldn't have done a good job as Hamlet, but by the time he was cast as Bond he had proven himself as a light comedian and debonair adventurer. The same goes for Brosnan. Lazenby had never acted before, but he so successfully faked his credentials that Peter Hunt knew he was suited to the role. Connery and Dalton were not well-known but had acquitted themselves well in small roles. Dalton and Craig had also been skilled character actors beforehand, and Craig's sensitivity as an actor is what prevented his Bond from seeming too musclebound and uncouth.

What, for Bond?
    Yes, it's for @Pierce2Daniel's alternative TV Bond spin-off on the new Universal streaming service that he's just suggested on the "Bond 25 Production Diary". He'll be heartbroken to learn that Lashana Lynch didn't get the gig after all and Sarah Snook took the role of 007 instead. ;))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    boldfinger wrote: »

He can't act though.

That sounds like a Stuntman for the Bond Actor.

A stuntman that could fight, maybe.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I don't think the producers look back negatively on lazenby. With the benefit of hindsight he delivered a film that did OK at the box, but became a classic over the years. With a frenchise like Bond it's good to think long-term. Hence the contracts for more films and the many actors that didn't get the role because they wanted to do only one. All in all hemsworth's beeing an aussie won't put him on a second footing. The question is : does he fit the idea that Barbara and Micheal have in mind for the next bond...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don't think the producers look back negatively on lazenby. With the benefit of hindsight he delivered a film that did OK at the box, but became a classic over the years. With a frenchise like Bond it's good to think long-term. Hence the contracts for more films and the many actors that didn't get the role because they wanted to do only one. All in all hemsworth's beeing an aussie won't put him on a second footing. The question is : does he fit the idea that Barbara and Micheal have in mind for the next bond...

He might bring in the teenage girls, but not me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I agree. I like Hemsworth, but I wouldn't like him as Bond.
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 5,767
    I like Hemsworth, but I still find it a bit hard to imagine him as Bond. What I´ve seen of him is that when he Plays it seriously he´s a bit too flat. But he´s getting more mature over time. He can do great Humor, but all I´ve seen so far goes in the wrong direction. Nothing there in the sense of British Understatement. Of Course it could well be that with the Right dialogue ideas he could produce miracles.
    Maybe not so hard to imagine after all ;-)...
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 1,661
    You are probably right.
    But your comments about Hemsworth seem contradictory. You point out that he can't be Bond because has no BO appeal beyond Thor but then say that BO appeal is not required to be Bond. Which is it?

I agree that you don't need to be a big star to be Bond. Anyway few actors like that exist anymore. How many people go to see a film just to see the actor these days?

Re youe point about my contradictory comment. I see your point but what I meant is there's little incentive for EON/MGM to cast Hemsworth at a high salary (even if his salary is not as high as he would be with lots of hits on his resume) versus casting a total or near unknown at a very low salary. I reckon Hemsworth as Bond or an unknown actor as Bond will probably equal similar box office.

The new guy will be fresh, most people won't know him, he won't be associated with an existing franchise. Hemsworth is well known, is associated with an existing franchise and also known for not bringing in decent box office when not playing Thor. I suppose the producers could argue "he's famous for playing Thor so that's why we're considering him" - which is a fair point, but it's doubtful that fame will add anything to the overall box office. Clearly Hemsworth's fame as Thor didn't add any extra box office to the MIB franchise so there's no reason to think his fame will add anything to Bond 26's box office.

Daniel Craig's casting would seem to prove my point. Most people didn't know him, he wasn't associated with an existing franchise. He did appear in Tomb Raider but didn't return in the sequel. Someone like Hugh Jackman would have been the obvious 'famous' casting back in 2005. Assuming Jackman could renegotiate a deal to continue playing Wolverine or deciding Bond is a better role than Wolverine and leaving Wolverine, I reckon most film goers would say he'd be the most famous actor of the mid 2000s to take over from Brosnan. Daniel Craig would have been far down the list. Good chance history will repeat itself with the next actor.
    Fair point. I could also see them going full reboot with a very young actor and even more backstory. Not what I want but can see it happening.

I just think Hemsworth is probably in the mix. Who knows what salary he'd be asking for in a few years. I reckon to get Bond plenty of actors might take a pay cut. I think if he wants to be seriously considered then he will need to put in a good dramatic performance somewhere. Babs isn't going to cast another light comedian in the role.

But yes on balance a lesser known actor is probably more likely.

Doubt we will see the next Bond before 2024 either.
    Jackman could have been an incredible Bond ; few actors can deftly pull off charming and brutal, Jackman can . He would have been a combination of Moore and Craig.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    Jackman could have been an incredible Bond ; few actors can deftly pull off charming and brutal, Jackman can . He would have been a combination of Moore and Craig.

But according to reports, he was considered to 'fey' for Bond. I think he could've been a great Bond, but it wasn't to be.