Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

@Creasy47, well, The Coens and The Deakins, eh? So: yes. :) And having a couple of actors I've always liked (Fiennes and McDormand) doesn't hurt, either. --- There are other actors in it that I like as well... plus some hmm-okay-then actors, and several who-the-hell-is-that actors, too. :P

Of course, I'm still waiting for many 2015 movies to come to my neck of the woods :-w :-< but...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Great actors in it, especially Swinton, Clooney, Fiennes, and McDormand. Really looking forward to this one! I definitely had a "Who in the hell is that?" moment when I saw the trailer in cinemas.

Which 2015 films are you still waiting for?
    Saw the previews on "The Conjuring 2" I loved the first one and have never been a fan of sequels lor "redo" on popular flicks. However I am looking forward to this one. I love the good old fashioned horror (no zombies and slasher films please)
    You guys can yell and cheer for Independence Two but I'll just "ho hum" my way to the theaters...
    Excited about the new Star Trek...

Saw another horror trailer: "The Boy". Now that looks like some freaky shytt. The kind of stuff our childhood nightmares were made of. Dolls, Maniquins, Vantrilquist Dummies...
    Scary stuff...I'm all In.
    I'm too pessimistic and hard to please when it comes to horror movies anymore. It's too paint-by-the-numbers and routine anymore. The scares aren't subtle, they're very predictable, and what I really crave is a horror movie that scares the hell out of me, makes me jump, makes me a little more cautious to roam around in the dark or turn off my lights, and I haven't found one of those in a long time, 'The Conjuring' included. It had so much fantastic hype behind it, and I was terribly let down by it.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,081
    @Creasy47 - Yes, I like Swinton and Clooney, too.

2015 films? Well... The two I was waiting for all year, followed their production, and then have been reading reviews and following awards recognition from both critics and more importantly the industry, seen audience reactions (mostly very positive for both, and some oh nonononooos as well, which I consider a good sign), and discussions and arguments, and been reading articles and watching interviews and listening to scores, and I'm here, like, GIMME ALREADY... are The Revenant and The Big Short (read the book, too, and loved it, laughed a lot, and feel quite a bit more knowledgeable about that stuff than I used to).

Also Knight Of Cups, though it remains to be seen if I ever get to see that in theatre. I'm willing to travel if need be, though. Even if I get to see it on blu-ray first, I'd still be willing to travel to see it in theatre. I know I'll need to adjust brain when seeing it - it's not a "normal" movie (those tend to have actual scripts and plots and such), and it's possible that even with a brain adjustment I may not like it much at all, or I might - either way I like the challenge. It inevitably looks beautiful (Lubezki); I've been drooling at clips and stills. It has 3 of my fave actors (Bale, Blanchett, Portman), and Malick's pitch to his lead was interesting (only a character description, no script, not telling what'll happen each day, and basically let's just throw things at you and see what happens) and I like that it made him want to do it, and that he clearly enjoyed the experience. I love what I've heard of the score. And it has a a few things I'm intrigued by simply because I'm a perv. :))

I'd also like to see Carol, Spotlight, Trumbo, Brooklyn, Room... I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
    Malick's 'Knight of Cups'? Definitely a unique film, simply because it's Malick. I haven't seen it myself, but I agree in that those movies are for a certain type of movie.

Those last five you named, I've yet to see. I haven't seen 'The Big Short' yet, either, but I am going to catch 'The Revenant' again on Friday. Looking forward to it.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Hahaah! Just I hoped. Miller says the interview was totally jumbled. He is going to make another Mad Max film :-)!

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/647505-george-miller-will-direct-more-mad-max-movies-eventually#/slide/1
    @boldfinger, just as I had hoped, too! You don't know the level of excitement I felt when I came across that article earlier today, made me giddy like a school girl and I forgot to post about it here.
    Miller :x
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    CWXlj1-WoAArkAs.jpg

Schwarzy while filming his latest movie: '478'.
    Looks like The Schwarz is seriously turning towards acting now ;-).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Latest JJ Abrams project. Does anyone know if this is a sequel, or somewhat related to the 2008 film 'Cloverfield'?

February has few films I'm actually looking to.

Deadpool should be really fun..but I am pretty sure everyone will overrate it.

Fifth Wave might be a good YA movie that I'll enjoy maybe.

Gods of Egypt seems like everyone will hate it..but it seems like it's the right amount of cheesy and over the top for me

Grimsby seems...like it should be a lot better, but it's Sascha Baron Cohen and he's genius so..I trust him...and it's a spy movie sorta so..I may enjoy this as well.

And I know people might hate me for this but I like Wayan's humour so 50 Shades of black seems like it should be a good comedy for me and it seems like critics will hate it while it will make ok business on the boxoffice cause it's a movie targeted at black audiences
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I will definitely check out Grimsby.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If this is real, they have done a great job keeping this under wraps.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    talos7 wrote: »
    If this is real, they have done a great job keeping this under wraps.

Damn right they have. Then again, they did a good job with the first Cloverfield, as well. I can't wait to see this movie.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Deadpool should be really fun..but I am pretty sure everyone will overrate it.

I feel like it's a movie I will see only if others want to see it. Similar to Bourne 5
    Kudos to them managing a 'Cloverfield' sequel shoot discreetly in today's world.
    This is not actually a Cloverfield sequel, it's more of a spin-off.

Officially it's a "blood relative" to Cloverfield whatever that means.

So I guess it's more of a....idk...what Joey the series is to Friends? Or....idk, can anyone come up with a good analogy? :D
    Sounds like a spin-off, then. I still haven't managed to watch the trailer.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Agent Carter or the Netflix shows to Agents of SHIELD and the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe? Probably the best analogy I can think of.
    Agent Carter or the Netflix shows to Agents of SHIELD and the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe? Probably the best analogy I can think of.

From what I've heard...yup, this sounds like a good analogy. Like it's in the same universe..but it's not a sequel
    dragonsky wrote: »

From what I've heard...yup, this sounds like a good analogy. Like it's in the same universe..but it's not a sequel

It could even be that after the monster trashed New York, the government decided to use some sort of chemical weapon on it in hopes of killing it, and it rendered the US uninhabitable, but other beings evolved in its wake (being what John Goodman's character is afraid of).

The plot summary via IMDB mentions that Goodman's character rescued Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character after a car crash. It could be that this is true, he brought her in, then something happened while she was in a coma. He goes down in his survival bunker with someone who may be his son (I dunno), and they bring her down. Goodman sees this as a way to repopulate the planet when it's safe to go outside again. He'd see his actions as being for the good of mankind, in that case.

Wow, I came up with a far more coherent theory than I thought I would.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This is curious,

http://www.latino-review.com/news/theres-more-than-meets-the-eye-with-10-cloverfield-lane

"It was unfinished for a long time because this movie was originally part of Paramount's Insurge Division, which was a sector of Paramount devoted to low-budget films made for 5 million or less. The Insurge division collapsed and folded up and this film(when it was originally called Valencia) was caught in limbo with no studio home. Eventually, it was grabbed up by Paramount again and new scenes were written in by Dan Casey to connect the film to the 'Cloverfield' universe so it would actually make some money in theaters. Those new scenes/reshoots were shot in March 2015 and they've spent the last year editing and adding effects. I'm starting to get a real funny feeling about this film the more and more I dig around. The original script, the fact that none of the original 'Cloverfield' crew are involved (aside from JJ), and the fact that Paramount is releasing a film with a 5 million dollar budget in IMAX, is beginning to seem like a big cash grab for Paramount to make a few quick bucks off of an orphaned movie that they bought up. Here's some more info about the film in its original state:" Read more at: http://www.latino-review.com/news/theres-more-than-meets-the-eye-with-10-cloverfield-lane
    The first 'Fast 8' image has debuted, confirming the New York City setting, along with a new tagline:

http://news.yahoo.com/vin-diesel-reveals-first-image-setting-for-fast-144726387.html
    Seems like Tarantino isn t done with movies after all. According to Variety he is both working on another western called Killer Crow, and a sequel to the Kill Bill films.
    @Thunderfinger, he's stated for years that he's going to do ten films and that's it, and seeing how 'The Hateful Eight' is his eighth film, he still has two more to go. A little work-around for that is that if he is to do 'Vol. 3' for Kill Bill, it's just another branch of one movie, so it wouldn't technically count as him doing his ninth, if that makes sense. Last I heard, 'Killer Crow' was possibly going to be a Native American tale (obviously) or one that might show the prequel of Aldo (from 'Inglourious Basterds') and how he got his scars back in America before the war, fighting the KKK.
    @DarthDimi The first trailer for Chloe Moretz' next film: Neighbors 2

edited January 2016 Posts: 40,477
    I was Zac Efron's body double in the sequel.

EDIT: Might Quentin Tarantino's ninth movie be a "Bonnie and Clyde-ish" story set in 1930's Australia?

http://collider.com/quentin-tarantino-australian-movie-1930s/
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger, he's stated for years that he's going to do ten films and that's it, and seeing how 'The Hateful Eight' is his eighth film, he still has two more to go. A little work-around for that is that if he is to do 'Vol. 3' for Kill Bill, it's just another branch of one movie, so it wouldn't technically count as him doing his ninth, if that makes sense. Last I heard, 'Killer Crow' was possibly going to be a Native American tale (obviously) or one that might show the prequel of Aldo (from 'Inglourious Basterds') and how he got his scars back in America before the war, fighting the KKK.

I was hoping he could do a new MAN WITH NO NAME movie, with Jackman in Eastwood s old role. Morricone to score it, of course.