Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DaltonCraig007 I saw that yesterday but forgot to comment. They both really look fantastic. Time evidently treats some people better than others.

I'm sure the film is going to be great, especially with McQuarrie also involved in the writing dept., although it's a shame it's still almost two years away.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Another Austin Powers, really? I thought that ship had sailed years ago. They were funny at the time, but when I watched them a few years later, I couldn't believe how badly the humour had aged.

I would rather have another film in the OSS 117 series, with Jean Dujardin.

:D
    A third film is in the works, Major. :D

Dujardin announced it earlier this year. But, there's a fat chance Michel Hazanavicius might not return.

I did not know about, excellent. The 2nd one wasn't quite as funny as the first, but I would still take it over most comedies churned out over the last few years.
    I didn't like the second one at first. But, it grew on me. Because, trouble is that I took it as a James Bond parody at first, which didn't work at all, whereas the first one played in that category very very well. The second film became funnier when I watched it as a spy parody film rather than a Bond parody, constantly making jabs at the pop culture of the late sixties, which it rather succeeds at.

From what I've heard, the third one will take place in Africa, involving an African intelligence lady agent, and as such will take place in 1973, with "Hubert having a medal necklace flashing across his chest, half unbuttoned shirt and long sideburns" according to Hazanavicius. So, I won't expect a Bond film parody from it. Coincidentally, there's a serious OSS 117 novel set in the 1970s that takes place in Africa and uses an African leading lady. They might get influence from that, too.
    There are a number of OSS 117 films from the 60s or 70s, and I think they are less comedic.

bondjames wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007 I saw that yesterday but forgot to comment. They both really look fantastic. Time evidently treats some people better than others.

I'm sure the film is going to be great, especially with McQuarrie also involved in the writing dept., although it's a shame it's still almost two years away.
    Well, it takes longer to learn how to fly a fighter Jet than a helicopter ;-).

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Another Austin Powers, really? I thought that ship had sailed years ago. They were funny at the time, but when I watched them a few years later, I couldn't believe how badly the humour had aged.

Dujardin announced it earlier this year. But, there's a fat chance Michel Hazanavicius might not return.

I did not know about, excellent. The 2nd one wasn't quite as funny as the first, but I would still take it over most comedies churned out over the last few years.
    I didn't like the second one at first. But, it grew on me. Because, trouble is that I took it as a James Bond parody at first, which didn't work at all, whereas the first one played in that category very very well. The second film became funnier when I watched it as a spy parody film rather than a Bond parody, constantly making jabs at the pop culture of the late sixties, which it rather succeeds at.

From what I've heard, the third one will take place in Africa, involving an African intelligence lady agent, and as such will take place in 1973, with "Hubert having a medal necklace flashing across his chest, half unbuttoned shirt and long sideburns" according to Hazanavicius. So, I won't expect a Bond film parody from it. Coincidentally, there's a serious OSS 117 novel set in the 1970s that takes place in Africa and uses an African leading lady. They might get influence from that, too.
    There are a number of OSS 117 films from the 60s or 70s, and I think they are less comedic.
    Yes, I know. I've got the whole series in a boxset. All that were directed by Andre Hunebelle.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 3,333

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Connelly just looked wrong sitting on the back of Cruise's bike. His partner needs to look more rock chick than Connelly IMO.

Yes, I know. I've got the whole series in a boxset. All that were directed by Andre Hunebelle.
    @ClarkDevlin, are they worth watching too?

@ClarkDevlin, are they worth watching too?
    Oh yes! Every Bond fan should get it. Especially the post-Kerwin Matthews films.

OSS 117: Terror In Tokyo (aka From Tokyo With Love) was written by Terence Young, and as such is said to have formed the inspiration for both You Only Live Twice and The Spy Who Loved Me, containing very similar sequences.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondsum wrote: »

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Connelly just looked wrong sitting on the back of Cruise's bike. His partner needs to look more rock chick than Connelly IMO.
    She is a bit 'delicate' looking for this sort of thing, at least in comparison to Kelly McGillis, who seemed more at home on a bike. Age appropriate though.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,690
  • That's a hell of a poster.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I like the Coens and I love westerns, but is it just me that thinks the ballad of Buster Scruggs looks kinda dumb
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47 @DarthDimi @bondjames

The action film Triple Threat, starring Iko Uwais, Tony Jaa, Tiger Chen, Scott Adkins and Michael Jai White, has received an R Rating for 'strong violence throughout'.

Hopefully this means the film is finally getting a release date soon!

Nice moves.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Jeeeesus, about damn time. I'll take that news, it must be very close to release if they're already rating it and that's the first bit of information we've heard in many months.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,444
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/whoopi-goldberg-tyler-perry-talk-sister-act-3/
    she wants to do a third “Sister Act” but added that Disney holds the rights and doesn’t want to do it – likely preferring to reboot the property.

Perry then chimed in to say that he wants to make it with Goldberg and Tiffany Haddish: “The two of them in Sister Act, that should happen. Let’s make it happen.”

Cohen asked Perry why he doesn’t just try and buy the film’s rights from Disney, with the pair saying that they are going to try but it would be difficult regardless of cost.

Source: WWHL

Mabey idea for MGM/Universal. Or Sony who can make Fathers Act (Inspyred by Ghostbusters 3). Or Disney must re-consider and let make it under 20th Century Fox.

Trailer The Secret Life of Pets 2

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053181649/videoplayer/vi217496089
    Andy Serkis' Mowgli, with Christian Bale, Benedict Cumberbatch, Peter Mullan, Cate Blanchett and Naomi Harris will be released on Netflix on December 7th, 2018.

----

Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan will bring the cult TV series to the big screen with Greenbrier, focusing on Jesse Pinkman after the season 5 finale. Production is set to begin early 2019.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/breaking-bad-movie-vince-gilligan-greenbrier-1202497258/
    Andy Serkis' Mowgli, with Christian Bale, Benedict Cumberbatch, Peter Mullan, Cate Blanchett and Naomi Harris will be released on Netflix on December 7th, 2018.

That Trailer doesn´t make the film look as good as the one from a few years ago. The animations look by far not as good as the ones in Favreau´s film.

I'm sure I'm alone in this but I have zero interest in a Breaking Bad movie. That ending was perfect and wrapped things up nicely, don't want to see them revive the series with a mediocre movie after all these years. Could be great, don't get me wrong, and I figure I'll have to see it eventually, but it seems so unnecessary.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm alone in this but I have zero interest in a Breaking Bad movie. That ending was perfect and wrapped things up nicely, don't want to see them revive the series with a mediocre movie after all these years. Could be great, don't get me wrong, and I figure I'll have to see it eventually, but it seems so unnecessary.
    Didn´t Aaron Paul´s character get out of it in one piece and was happy to do so? I.e. he too completed a character arc. So even if they would send him on a journey similar to Walter, which generally could make sense, it would feel forced.

Didn´t Aaron Paul´s character get out of it in one piece and was happy to do so? I.e. he too completed a character arc. So even if they would send him on a journey similar to Walter, which generally could make sense, it would feel forced.

It's why I also haven't watched Better Call Saul - the story we got in BB was perfect, I need no prequel, spin-off or movie sequel.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

It's why I also haven't watched Better Call Saul - the story we got in BB was perfect, I need no prequel, spin-off or movie sequel.

Your loss, some might not agree but BCS has eclipsed BB for me, Jimmy (Saul Goodman) and Mike's stories are far more compelling than Walter and Jessie's ever were.

Don't get me wrong BB is superb but I've fallen in love with BCS in a way I thought I never would, you miss out, watching Odenkirk and Banks is such a pleasure.
    Different strokes for different folks. Saul was entertaining in BB, but I've never been interested in watching a prequel series about him.
    Some more footage of Mortal Engines:

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tom Cruise, 56, 'delays filming of Top Gun sequel so he can learn to fly fighter jets to make stunts as realistic as possible'

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6365525/amp/Tom-Cruise-delays-filming-Gun-sequel-learn-fly-fighter-jets.html

You gotta love Tom Cruise
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Tom Cruise, 56, 'delays filming of Top Gun sequel so he can learn to fly fighter jets to make stunts as realistic as possible'

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6365525/amp/Tom-Cruise-delays-filming-Gun-sequel-learn-fly-fighter-jets.html

You haven't but each to is own.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,376
    Shardlake wrote: »

You haven't but each to is own.

Well he is dedicated to his craft so I respect that
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I understand him loving to handle his own physical stunts and all but... meddling with aircraft and jets isn't really something to toy with. On-foot and all kind of individual stunts: understandable. Cars and on-road vehicles as well as some capacity of water sports, again understandable. Aircraft at high speed, however? That's going a bit too far. As far as having a death wish.

[/i]
    I said so on several occasions before, but I Always meant it as a joke. Can´t believe he really does it.