Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Roman Israel, Esq. is my movie. This is the first I've heard of it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,692
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

From Albert Hughes, who co-directed 'The Book of Eli' (the Denzel Washington flick) with his brother Allen Hughes a few years ago:

EDIT:

1st official poster for The Snowman, starring Michael Fassbender and Rebecca Ferguson, ahead of the trailer being released this wednesday:

DFCfX1jUwAA3ado.jpg
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

From Albert Hughes, who co-directed 'The Book of Eli' (the Denzel Washington flick) with his brother Allen Hughes a few years ago:

EDIT:

1st official poster for The Snowman, starring Michael Fassbender and Rebecca Ferguson, ahead of the trailer being released this wednesday:

DFCfX1jUwAA3ado.jpg

Just on strength of Tinker Tailor this is one of my must sees, I was always going to be chomping at the bit for the next film from Alfredson.

This isn't even taking into account Fassbender and the rest of the cast, can't wait, what with BR 2069 & TLJ the last quarter is looking spectacular.

Seeing Dunkirk on Saturday can't wait it looks incredible, once again after 2 disappointment it's in Nolan we trust.

EDIT:

DFCfX1jUwAA3ado.jpg

Quite like the look of ALPHA!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,513
    Day one for me! That looks amazing.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    1st trailer for The Snowman:

Bloody amazing! My number one film to see this year and not just because of Fassbender and Ferguson. I read somewhere that Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood will be the composer. Tomas Alfredson and Dion Beebe are showing great potential here (both very talented).

It's time for Bond to stop pissing about and visit Scandinavia. It's just so moody and surreal. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo showed me that and this film confirms it.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,692

1st image of John Goodman in the upcoming sci-fi/thriller Captive State, coming summer 2018. Also starring Vera Farmiga.

The plot: Set in a Chicago neighborhood nearly a decade after an occupation by an extra-terrestrial force, Captive State explores the lives on both sides of the conflict - the collaborators and dissidents.

John-Goodman-Captive-State-2_1200_800_81_s.jpg
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,513
    Well Go USA acquires rights to 'Triple Threat.' A sequel is in the works, a teaser is coming to Comic-Con, and here's a first look:

A full trailer for David Ayer's Netflix film 'Bright' will be online tomorrow.

Trailer for 'Only the Brave':

Also, trailer for 'The Disaster Artist':

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Remember that Spielberg adaptation of BFG? That think came and went, didn't it?
    Beautiful film though.

Man, The Snowman looks terrific! The mood reminds me in a very positive way of The Crimson Rivers.

Only the BRave looks very good too.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Bit of a dumb name though, The Snowman.

I do like the look of this one!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Snowman reminds me of the B-Movie horror franchise called Jack Frost.
    bondjames wrote: »

Bloody amazing! My number one film to see this year and not just because of Fassbender and Ferguson. I read somewhere that Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood will be the composer. Tomas Alfredson and Dion Beebe are showing great potential here (both very talented).

It's time for Bond to stop pissing about and visit Scandinavia. It's just so moody and surreal. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo showed me that and this film confirms it.

I was so looking forward to this but the trailer makes it look woefully generic.

I hope this is the case of the U.S trailer trying to represent the films as something it's not and the International one will show this to be the stylish intelligent thriller I hoped it was going to be.

Surely Alfredson wouldn't follow up the wonderful Let The Right One In and the masterful Tinker Tailor with something so clichéd and unoriginal?

This looks nothing like Fincher's TGWTDT the trailers for that oozed style and intrigue, I don't see that here at all.
    Shardlake wrote: »

I was so looking forward to this but the trailer makes it look woefully generic.

I hope this is the case of the U.S trailer trying to represent the films as something it's not and the International one will show this to be the stylish intelligent thriller I hoped it was going to be.

Surely Alfredson wouldn't follow up the wonderful Let The Right One In and the masterful Tinker Tailor with something so clichéd and unoriginal?

This looks nothing like Fincher's TGWTDT the trailers for that oozed style and intrigue, I don't see that here at all.
    I've not read the novel and so have nothing to benchmark it against (I've said before that I feel privileged not to have read the book in many cases as it allows me to approach the film adaptations with a more open mind). I'd encourage you to give it a chance. It's got a top notch cast, a director who's proven his worth, a cinematographer who's delivered in the past and wonderful atmospheric location work. I'm sure it will be quite decent, and I'm quite looking forward to it!
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,043
    hhhh

I've not read the novel and so have nothing to benchmark it against (I've said before that I feel privileged not to have read the book in many cases as it allows me to approach the film adaptations with a more open mind). I'd encourage you to give it a chance. It's got a top notch cast, a director who's proven his worth, a cinematographer who's delivered in the past and wonderful atmospheric location work. I'm sure it will be quite decent, and I'm quite looking forward to it!

I've not read the book it's all about Alfredson's return more than anything after giving us something as masterful and intelligent as Tinker I wouldn't have expected this.

Like I said I hope it's just a dreadful trailer for the U.S market to lure people in conning them into thinking this is generic you've seen it all for the masses leave your brain at the door fodder and the international trailer will reveal the intelligent stylish film I thought we were getting.

I'm not throwing the towel in just yet but the trailer is showing me nothing I've already seen before, yes the cinematography does look nice but the structure of the trailer makes it look like something you see on Criminal Minds, hardly A Silence of The Lambs or a Se7en is it?
    hhhh

I've not read the book it's all about Alfredson's return more than anything after giving us something as masterful and intelligent as Tinker I wouldn't have expected this.

Like I said I hope it's just a dreadful trailer for the U.S market to lure people in conning them into thinking this is generic you've seen it all for the masses leave your brain at the door fodder and the international trailer will reveal the intelligent stylish film I thought we were getting.

I'm not throwing the towel in just yet but the trailer is showing me nothing I've already seen before, yes the cinematography does look nice but the structure of the trailer makes it look like something you see on Criminal Minds, hardly A Silence of The Lambs or a Se7en is it?
    I dont' see how we can necessarily determine if this is the next Silence of The Lambs or Se7en from a short trailer.

Anyway, both those films are from the early 90's, which goes to show we've not had many great films in this genre for some time. That's another reason why I'm quite hopeful that this will at least be reasonably good. We're long overdue.

Yes, I get your point about the trailer structure, but I assumed that was just to pull in the masses with some cheap thrills. Worked for me!
    hhhh

I dont' see how we can necessarily determine if this is the next Silence of The Lambs or Se7en from a short trailer.

Anyway, both those films are from the early 90's, which goes to show we've not had many great films in this genre for some time. That's another reason why I'm quite hopeful that this will at least be reasonably good. We're long overdue.

Yes, I get your point about the trailer structure, but I assumed that was just to pull in the masses with some cheap thrills. Worked for me!

I wasn't seduced by the anticipation because it's full of cheap thrills I was pulled in because of the talent on display but yes I'll wait for the International trailer which should hit soon as this opens a week before the U.S in the UK.

As being long overdue you are right it was Silence first and then Se7en changed the serial killer genre entirely.

I think sometimes it's forgotten but Se7en is undoubtedly one of the most influential films of the last 25 years, Police procedural series have been aping it for decades and not just in the U.S here in the UK as well.

As for the genre getting a proper lease of life, I think it will be Fincher once again, first with Se7en then again with Zodiac and once again with Mindhunter the forthcoming Netflix series about FBI Elite Serial Killer Crime Unit.

Can't wait for that.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to Professor Marston & the Wonder Women. Anything with Rebecca Hall is worth watching, and Luke Evans is pretty impressive here too. It kind of reminds me of Showtime's Masters of Sex which I really enjoy.

I'm afraid I'm going to miss The Dark Tower. Despite Elba and McConaughey. It's not working for me and some of the dialogue sucks.
    'The Dark Tower' is shaping up to be a generic bomb, in my opinion. Time will tell, but it doesn't feel terribly fresh or exciting to me.

Next one I'm catching in theaters is 'Atomic Blonde' next week.
  • "Generic," unfortunately, is just the word that came to mind when I saw the Dark Tower trailer. Shame too. I've read the first couple of those books and it sounds like you could do something really cool and original on film with that story. I won't be catching this one in theaters and expect it will likely bomb as you say.
    I'm as excited as I would be for a new Bond film. :D
    More so in my case. This one has humour, a required amount of 'camp', liveliness and irony in it. Can't wait to see Julianne Moore ham it up.
    More so in my case. This one has humour, a required amount of 'camp', liveliness and irony in it. Can't wait to see Julianne Moore ham it up.
    By "new Bond film" I mean the way I used to get excited in the Brosnan days. :D
    By "new Bond film" I mean the way I used to get excited in the Brosnan days. :D
    I hear you my friend. Hopefully again, one day soon.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This film, Kingsman, has a great look.