Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

Can't believe this trailer hasn't been posted in this thread yet, looks friggin intense;

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 40,473
    Wow, that looks incredible. I still need to see Coster-Waldau's new Netflix film, too.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @doubleoego Have you heard anything that there are two unrelated films featuring Iko Uwais, Tiger Chen and Tony Jaa? You broke the news several months ago about Triple Threat, but I'm hearing all 3 of them have also signed on to appear together in Asia Pacific Elimination Service (aka A.P.E.S.).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm incouraged by the trailers I've been seeing lately. Were heading back to a early millennium period, when action movies didn't have to take themselves too seriously. This is exactly the direction Bond needs to go, so hopefully EON are taking notes.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @doubleoego Have you heard anything that there are two unrelated films featuring Iko Uwais, Tiger Chen and Tony Jaa? You broke the news several months ago about Triple Threat, but I'm hearing all 3 of them have also signed on to appear together in Asia Pacific Elimination Service (aka A.P.E.S.).

This is the first I'm hearing of it. Wow. They must have cultivated a fantastic working relationship on Triple Threat. The more of these guys the merrier.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47

Sylvester Stallone has teased the return of Dolph Lundgren as Ivan Drago in the upcoming Creed 2, due for release in November 2018.

I really loved the 2013 film Rush about the rivalry between Formula 1 champions Niki Lauda and James Hunt, and this looks equally as good:

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That looks interesting. The actor playing Borg seems to be a dead ringer for the real deal, but I would have preferred someone other than Le Beouf for Johnny Mac.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I realize that it's difficult to capture a time period without coming off as a parody, but Le Beouf looks like someone doing a comedy skit.

Sylvester Stallone has teased the return of Dolph Lundgren as Ivan Drago in the upcoming Creed 2, due for release in November 2018.

2018? Is Coogler returning to direct? Michael B Jordan's schedule is also pretty booked to meet such a release date. Look forward to more details on this.
    @doubleoego I believe Coogler is already attached to Creed 2, and yeah, who knows if they'll be able to make that release date in time. Though, judging from the 1st 'Creed', it took them about 2 months of filming. So maybe, just maybe they can find a time where Coogler, Michael B Jordan and Stallone can be available (because Stallone too seems to be very busy, he has at least 3 other projects as the lead star coming out next year, he seems to be in a competition with Liam Neeson who also has 4 films in 2018).

This new documentary on the legend Sir Frank Williams looks fantastic:

Creasy47 wrote: »

This looks a very powerful movie.
    Leave it to Gerard Butler to make a proper 'Die Hard 5' thanks to 'Olympus has Fallen', and now he makes a proper 'Independence Day 2' (weather based instead of aliens, I know) thanks to Geostorm. Based on this trailer, this film looks like the fun, mindless, loud and entertaining popcorn film that 'Resurgence' should have been.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The special effects are beyond horrendous, but this film has a killer cast so I may have to watch it. Mike Banning meets MR.
    New tv spot for Kingsman: The Golden Circle:

This looks really good.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That's just badass! :D
    @bondjames 'Geostorm' seems like an attempt to make a disaster film like a straight-up action flick. I agree that the CGI looks pretty bad, but it does look very, very fun. It looks like a DAD-esque film which doesn't takes itself seriously but takes the fun, entertainment and big-scale spectacle seriously. Geostorm in a nutshell looks like it was made purely as a big spectacle film, because judging from the trailer it doesn't have the usual 'dramatic/romance shtick' (which took way too much screen-time in films like 'Independence Day 2 and '2012'). This looks like a proper 1990's disaster flick like the original Independence Day, or even the Bruce Willis vehicle 'Armageddon'.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I agree that it looks to be a light hearted spectacle @DaltonCraig007. Seeing heavy hitters like Andy Garcia and Ed Harris in it is also a positive. I definitely was reminded a little of Armageddon.

Having said that, I was quite disappointed by London Has Fallen due to the laughable special effects and so don't know if I'll really be able to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy this one. I'm quite sensitive to these video game-like CGI effects which are dominating most films these days. I'm hoping for the best though.

An update on a film that hasn't been mentioned in over a year: the first trailer for Darkest Hour is going to be released soon. It is the Winston Churchill-centered WW2 film, starring Gary Oldman as Churchill, Ben Mendelsohn, Kristin Scott Thomas and Stephen Dillane. Coming in cinemas this November.

gary-oldman-winston-churchill.jpg
    bondjames wrote: »

Having said that, I was quite disappointed by London Has Fallen due to the laughable special effects and so don't know if I'll really be able to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy this one. I'm quite sensitive to these video game-like CGI effects which are dominating most films these days. I'm hoping for the best though.

Agreed. I think I watched it on a plane or something, but even then I was struck by how cheap it looked - to the extent that it was sort of distracting, at times.
    I agree that the helicopter crash sequence in 'London Has Fallen' looks super shit, but other scenes looked pretty damn good (most specifically the climax when Butler leads an assault with the SAS on the villain's HQ).

Logan Lucky clip centered on Daniel Craig's Joe Bang:

Looks great. Craig's looking incredible in this.
    @Creasy47 the odds of it happening are very small, but I would love for Logan Lucky become a 2nd heist trilogy for Soderbergh. For over a decade I wondered how on earth you'd get a similar genius cast as Clooney/Pitt/Damon. It seems the answer was to get Daniel Craig to play a red neck. I don't even need to see the film to know I already hope to see more of Joe Bang beyond this film.
    @Creasy47 the odds of it happening are very small, but I would love for Logan Lucky become a 2nd heist trilogy for Soderbergh. For over a decade I wondered how on earth you'd get a similar genius cast as Clooney/Pitt/Damon. It seems the answer was to get Daniel Craig to play a red neck. I don't even need to see the film to know I already hope to see more of Joe Bang beyond this film.

Hopefully he doesn't turn into a bad guy (that's the vibe I get from some of the trailers) and become the antagonist, because I, too, would enjoy seeing more of the character, and I've yet to even see the movie. Should be a blast.
    Thanks for the updates @daltoncraig007
    1st poster for Jigsaw (aka Saw 8):

DEJorqgUMAA_yLr.jpg

EDIT:

Ang Lee's next film, the sci-fi action flick Gimini Man featuring Will Smith, gets an October 4, 2019 release date.

The plot: An assassin is approaching retirement. Before he retires, he crosses paths with his clone, who’s exactly 25 years younger. The clone is the assassin at his peak condition.

Will Smith will play both roles.