FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The prequels are better left somewhere out of the discussion as they were and are banta dung imho.

It's bantha, and the correct word is "poodoo". If you're gonna insult the prequels, at least insult them correctly.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The prequels are better left somewhere out of the discussion as they were and are banta dung imho.

It's bantha, and the correct word is "poodoo". If you're gonna insult the prequels, at least insult them correctly.

I have revised my insult according to your wishes, ieven if dung does help to grow the grass nice and green and the prequels kill your lawn through their sheer presence.

;)
    Spielberg for SW? Great idea! SW always had a big involvement of youngsters and family connections, a thing Spielberg knows how to execute so well. I think SW would be a perfect playground for him.

I haven´t seen ROTJ in a long time, but the first two I would leave as they are. Episode III was quite alright too. But Episode I and II done as one single two-and-a-half-hour film by Spielberg I wouldn´t mind. Although the director wouldn´t be the key factor in that case.
    Or give him a new one. Disney seems to be intent of producing an unlimited number, so why not? A blend of Minority Report, War of the Worlds and Indy sounds swell to me :-).
    Lucas directed the first one, Episode 4 then he took a back seat and let other directors helm the next two.
    He decided to do Episode 1 himself and had planned to turn it over to other directors but chose not to and he did the next two himself.
    I think this is where Spielberg should have been called in . Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith needed a darker look and feel and I think Spielberg would have delivered.
    A pity that he did not helm episodes 2, and 3. Might have made a difference and who knows? Thye may have rivaled the first trilogy.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>055
    </b>What's your top 3 SciFi movies of 1982?</font>

A quick reminder:
    - Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan
    - E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
    - Blade Runner
    - The Thing
    - The Road Warrior
    - Tron
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,577
    1) Blade Runner

I love every single sing about BR. It's a magical experience for me. I always watch all five versions I have on DVD (Domestic, International, Director's and Final cut, and Work Print).

2) E.T.

E.T. is sugar, sweet and addictive and just pure fun. Spielberg and Williams... I love these guys.

3) The Thing

This was a very difficult choice since I really love Star Trek II, Road Warrior, Tron, .. but yeah, Carpenter's The Thing is an amazing Sci-Fi / horror flick.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Blade Runner
    Star Trek II
    Road Warrior
    Blade Runner
    The Thing
    E.T

Those are my three picks, but man are they close. Around 8,5/10 all of them
    Blade Runner at the nr. 1 spot: excellent choices, @chrisisall and @Crazysoul95! :-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    1) Blade Runner

I love every single sing about BR. It's a magical experience for me. I always watch all five versions I have on DVD (Domestic, International, Director's and Final cut, and Work Print).

2) E.T.

E.T. is sugar, sweet and addictive and just pure fun. Spielberg and Williams... I love these guys.

3) The Thing

This was a very difficult choice since I really love Star Trek II, Road Warrior, Tron, .. but yeah, Carpenter's The Thing is an amazing Sci-Fi / horror flick.
    Nothing to argue there about Blade Runner, even though I only have the final cut version.
    Screw E.T., number two is The Road Warrior hands down.
    The Thing is number three, you´re right there.

Conan the Barbarian would be number two or even number one if we were talking about film music.

I saw Blade Runner in very early '82 at a test-screening in New Jersey- all I knew was that it was a science fiction with Harrison Ford & directed by the guy who did Alien. I walked out of the theatre stunned. My friends and I agreed right then & there that it was probably the single best science fiction movie ever made. I saw it in the theatre every week after it opened until it left, and had no idea it wasn't a raging hit.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Wrath of Khan. No 2 or 3.
    @chrisisall, I believe Blade Runner, like The Thing, was a victim of E.T.'s unexpected success. Now I love E.T., but Blade Runner put the brains and the style in the film. The audio-visual experience is IMO second only to Kubrick's 2001. Even if BR was largely denied its deserved success, it became something of a sleeper hit. It is still one of the most treasured Sci-Fi films ever. I was born in '82 so I couldn't make it for the opening ;-) but I am jealous, my good friend, that you got to see the film back then.

@boldfinger, very much agreed, sir. Poledouris' score for Conan is superb! I honestly think it's the only score that ever successfully tried to rekindle the classic flames of Miklós Rózsa's magnificent film compositions.
    Miklós Rózsa... The Power (1968)- what a score!!!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,986
    1. Blade Runner (sequel to begin production this year, hopefully)
    2. E.T. (not seen for ages, but next time I'll be sure to watch it with a box of Smarties)
    3. Tron (great film, and IMO a rare case where the sequel is better)
    4. The Thing (saw this only two years back- the atmosphere was great, the creature was made well)

Don't know if I've seen Wrath of Khan, but that would no doubt be my top 5. Mad Max 2 would probably be at the top of the list, but it was first released here in '81. ;)
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,577
    @QBranch

I really hope they never make the Blade Runner sequel - NEVER! I don't think there's enough "mythology" to provide a decent enough platform for a second film. Also, 33 years is a pretty long time. Filmmaking techniques have changed. A next Blade Runner would surely be one total CGI experience whereas in the original one, everything was physically created, crafted by hand or at least actually shot. That is part of what makes Blade Runner such a stunning visual experience. Ford may express interest in returning but he isn't the only essential element that made Blade Runner so great. Hauer, Olmos, Hannah, Cassidy, Young, ... were all part of an ensemble of characters that were pivotal to Blade Runner. New characters would be needed, therefore also new faces, and it simply wouldn't be the same thing. Perhaps I'm being too protective of the uniqueness of Blade Runner, perhaps someone with great talents can make it work, but last time I checked Scott had already dropped out, Ford will be close to 75 if such a film ever gets made, we possibly won't have the musical genius of Vangelis, ... Like Casablanca, Blade Runner deserves to be left alone, a unique event, not lost in time like tears in the rain.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 5,767
    3) The Thing

By the way, cool timing, @YourDarthness, The Thing was up on tv last night. I came home, turned on the telly, and there it was in full HD glory, the title credits had just started :-)!

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Wrath Of Khan would be my favorite.
    I know, I know. Blade Runner is a SF masterpiece and is the better film but dammit Jim, I just enjoy the hell out of ST II. ;)
    I suppose that E.T. would be third.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Blade Runner is not just a top thhree sci fi of 1982 (those others are honestly not much to brag about), it is a top three sci fi movie of all time.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @Dimi- somewhere deep down, I know a sequel should never be made (sigh)- it's like the BTTF trilogy, we are forever left yearning for more of that adventure. However, it really is a product of its time, and as suggested elsewhere, would it not destroy the ambiguity about Deckard being a replicant?
    That ambiguity is part of the fun, isn't it? I for one do not support the hypothesis of Deckard as a replicant but that's just me. ;-)
    It must be hard to come to any conclusion if you always watch all the versions, isn´t it ;-)?

Anyway, the local Filmmuseum will show Blade Runner tomorrow in high quality, innit nice :-)?
    Indeed, I guess having the unicorn sometimes and sometimes not, messes with the whole idea. ;-)
    That ambiguity is part of the fun, isn't it? I for one do not support the hypothesis of Deckard as a replicant but that's just me. ;-)
    I feel that ambiguity is ESSENTIAL to the movie. On another site I argued for PAGES with a fine fellow that Deckard was not a replicant, and by the end he had totally convinced me that it was within the realm of possibility...

I'm like a rock: unmovable. ;-)
    Well, I said 'possible'; I believe that he's not a replicant as well. But good arguments can be made that he is. And that's a key factor in the fascination of the movie for me.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Well, I said 'possible'; I believe that he's not a replicant as well. But good arguments can be made that he is. And that's a key factor in the fascination of the movie for me.
    I only have the Final Cut. In any of the other versions, is there any indication at all that Deckart could be a replicant?

• chrisisall wrote: »
    I feel that ambiguity is ESSENTIAL to the movie. On another site I argued for PAGES with a fine fellow that Deckard was not a replicant, and by the end he had totally convinced me that it was within the realm of possibility...

Dear Lord, I hope that fine fellow wasn't me. I've been known to get quite passionate about my thoughts on Blade Runner, I'm afraid (it is, after all, my favorite film of all time). I just hope if that was me, @chrisisall, that I behaved myself with some gentlemanly accord. My passion for Blade Runner really can be the James Bond to my Quist, if you follow.

My fave sci-fi of '82:

1. Blade Runner
    2. John Carpenter's The Thing
    3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
    edited March 2015 Posts: 17,691
    My passion for Blade Runner really can be the James Bond to my Quist, if you follow.

To watch narrated, or not narrated, that is the question. Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer the Slings and Arrows of detective noir-talk,
    Or to take Arms embracing a Sea silence,
    And by approving, end them?
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero

I'm always pleased to learn of someone's Blade Runner passion. I'm currently re-reading Sammon's Future Noir book, a must-have for all BR fans. Only Kubrick's 2001 rivals my passion for BR.