FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1.jpg
    It's got to be Bird 1 hasn't it? ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Whatever Barbarella's was called. :)>-

If the ship comes with the girl, I'm on it, @4EverBonded! :-)

boots-jane-fonda-barbarella-2.jpg
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Moonraker 3
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, Dimi, I heard you had frequent flier miles for that one ... ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The ships in Barbarella sucked.
    But, that was the point. :))
  • Murdock wrote: »
    There can be only one. ;)
    star-trek-hd-1701-firing-phasers.jpg

Right on.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>052
    </b>Does the personal life of an actor / filmmaker affect your viewing experience?</font>
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    No; I like to think I judge the art on the quality of the art. I think some bias can inevitably seep in, if you feel strongly about an actor/choices the actor has made in his personal life, but ultimately things like political leanings/religion/other choices a filmmaker may make in his personal life doesn't affect my viewing experience.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Personally, no. I have a few favourites who have had personal (or public troubles), but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of their work.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yes and no. It depends on how f'ed up their personal lives are, but I generally separate the character from the actor.
    Yes but quite rarely. Two examples of people whose work I can no longer enjoy due to their personal behavior: Woody Allen and Tom Cruise

I am sad to say it, but it is true. Their heinous behavior is so revolting to me, I can no longer enjoy their work.

I think those are the only two though, ones that really affect me like that.
    But then, they are extreme cases.
    I am pretty unaffected by it myself but I know that e.g. Polanski, Woody Allen and even Connery are a problem for some people.
    Even Polanski I can separate it enough to still watch his work.
    Sean - oh for heaven's sake. I disagree with some things, but I love his work.
    I would also say no. So far, I haven´t had any problems enjoying Cruise or Gibson films. Besides, there are other actors who keep their life beyond filmmaking a secret, and who knows what they´ve been up to?
    Exactly. There are awful things under wrap, I am sure. But I answered the thesis honestly, from what I have unfortunately learned.
    Yes but quite rarely. Two examples of people whose work I can no longer enjoy due to their personal behavior: Woody Allen and Tom Cruise

I am sad to say it, but it is true. Their heinous behavior is so revolting to me, I can no longer enjoy their work.

Tom Cruise? Is it the scientology thing?
    I had a conversation with a colleague the other day about Connery. She told me that she considered Connery an appalling man due to the wife beating thing. She also told me that because of that, she has a tougher time enjoying his work now than she used to. It adds a misogynist quality to his Bond films, especially when he smacks a girl on the arse. ;-)

Personally, I can cope pretty well. Sometimes it can even be funny. Take Chuck Heston in Burton's Planet Of The Apes. His comments on guns right there make me laugh outside the context of the film. :D

But when Arnold tosses the T-X around in T3, it was explained to me, in the theatre, why that was all kinds of wrong.

Tom Cruise? Is it the scientology thing?

@NickTwentyTwo, I believe it was also his couch jumping and whatnot during an Oprah show.

I must say, an actor's personal life can also influence my judgement in a positive way. Take Kevin Smith for example. His films are mediocre at best but I'm a fan because I like the man underneath the fat. (Not condescending if you have heard Smith talk.)
    edited February 2015 Posts: 12,459
    For me, and this is only explaining my personal distaste for Cruise, it is his Scientology connection. Jumping on the sofa made him look like an idiot and trying sell his romance, but that would not stop me from enjoying an actor's work.

I knew Sean had advocated slapping a woman if she got "bitchy" something like that, but I did not know he actually physically abused Diane Cilento. Did he?

UPDATE: I just read this. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-400436/Yes-Connery-em-did-em-beat-unconscious.html I realize it is the Daily Mail and from 2006. I am stunned. Not happy with Sean at all.

I think I can still enjoy his work, though. But man, that is a lot to digest. Am I the only one on here who did not know that??
    I knew about it, @4EverBonded. I guess it's a lame excuse but Connery comes from a different era. Again, lame excuse. I shouldn't be looking for excuses. Still, Bond is in my veins so nothing can make me think less about the Connery Bond. ;-)

The scientology connection makes me feel sorry for Cruise and Travolta more than anything else. Competent actors... but when you join Scientology, you don't hear all your dogs barking. And then there's the thing with Travolta's boy... Sad. Very sad.
    It is sad. Sad all around.

What happened - according to the article I read - definitely has no excuse. Ever.

sigh ...
    Wow, Sean was a real a**hole back then.... still, the play's the thing.
    And Tom's a goofball, but that's nothing new.
    Now, that molesting idiot Stephen Collins... I dunno... I have to consciously blank his s**t to watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture.....
    I generally don't pay attention to actors'/filmmakers' personal lives. It's not that I'd be fine with whatever skeletons if I knew, but that I just don't know - at all in most cases, and also I feel I can't have an op
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,081
    Bloody hell, wtf just happened to my post? Never had a post mostly disappear like that, and I wasn't even trying to post it yet. Do I need to write the whole gawddamned thing again? Seesh... Will ponder that a bit...

---

Ok, pondered. I had a lot to say about this, but nevermind.

A shorter version:

I rarely know enough about actors/filmmakers' personal lives or indeed personalities to have an opinion that might have an effect on how I see their work. If there is something that I have heard that I consider serious enough (very few things qualify), and more than just malicious gossip or something, then I can't just ignore it, and yes, it does have a negative effect. I may like their work less, or not even really want to see it. Sometimes I'm unsure what to believe and that causes a dilemma. (Like did Terry Gilliam really starve a horse?)

If I really like and admire the person that has an effect as well. Apart from the obvious - really wanting to see their work - to also being more likely to find out about other people involved and various details and info about the whole film-making process, etc. So I may, for instance, end up reading/watching director/cast interviews, or making of/behind the scenes stuff for hours, and something interesting always comes up, thereby enhancing my whole experience with the movie.

With most movies I have no idea about people's personal lives at all (and generally I don't care), so there is no effect either way.
    Usually this site saves your drafts automatically? Would hate that you lost a bunch of work!
    Usually this site saves your drafts automatically? Would hate that you lost a bunch of work!

Indeed. I did check drafts, wasn't there. The site just decided to post the first two lines when I was still writing. Perhaps it was trying to tell me something. It's probably much appreciated that I don't post that often. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If we are talking about documentaries, then yes. As for fictional work, not in the slightest. Would not be much to enjoy otherwise.
    For me, and this is only explaining my personal distaste for Cruise, it is his Scientology connection. Jumping on the sofa made him look like an idiot and trying sell his romance, but that would not stop me from enjoying an actor's work.

I knew Sean had advocated slapping a woman if she got "bitchy" something like that, but I did not know he actually physically abused Diane Cilento. Did he?

UPDATE: I just read this. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-400436/Yes-Connery-em-did-em-beat-unconscious.html I realize it is the Daily Mail and from 2006. I am stunned. Not happy with Sean at all.

I think I can still enjoy his work, though. But man, that is a lot to digest. Am I the only one on here who did not know that??
    On the one hand, I find it hard to judge such a newspaper comment, knowing that usually in such cases, the two participants have quite differing points of view.
    Not that I want to defend Connery´s behaviour, but since I don´t see James Bond as a role model in many respects, a nasty guy image rather enhances the thrill of seeing Connery as Bond (and in fact most of his other roles, except maybe for his role in Marnie).

I must admit that Tom´s Scientology connection dimmed my interest in his films at first. But ***t, he makes cool movies, he does his job, he convinced me professionally.

As for fictional work, not in the slightest. Would not be much to enjoy otherwise.
    This.

boldfinger wrote: »

I must admit that Tom´s Scientology connection dimmed my interest in his films at first. But ***t, he makes cool movies, he does his job, he convinced me professionally.
    Scientology is a cult.
    But then, so is Christianity & most other religions...

:))
  • @chrisisall A lot of people say that (Scientology is no worse than other religions) but there really is a difference.

Anyway, depends on what has happened in their personal lives. Tom Cruise being an insane scientlogist doesn't stop me enjoying his films. Roman Polanski raping a 13 year old girl and getting away with it on the other hand, I can't get past that.