FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The true master of horror is of course Lee Tamahori.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 5,767
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Carpenter went bad too but in my opinion his heights are higher than Craven's and his lows were never as low as Craven's.
    I guess I agree to that.
    I´m biased because Carpenter to me feels much more solid in his way of artistic expression. But that´s regardless of genre. I´m not too much of a horror fan, so maybe I should shut my mouth.

On the other hand, though even less topic-related, what better place than here, what better time than now to recommend Carpenter´s amazing Lost Themes album :-)! It´s not exactly horror tunes throughout, it´s rather a collection of various thematic suites, much like those official soundtrack releases that were popular some 30 or 40 years ago. In any case, it gets better and better with each listening, an outstanding album in the very sense of the word. Anyone brave enough to make a film to that music would have the best score in the world.

• DarthDimi wrote: »
    @boldfinger, I have never gotten a chance to watch BR on the big screen. I'm so jealous. I'd love - LOVE - to see that beautiful city and all those details on the big screen!

You're Dutch right?

When the sequel finally comes out, there's a good chance Pathé or maybe other movie theatres will show the original one too. They do that more often. (:
    And some odd cinemas show old movies every now and then. Recently had the delight of watching Gone With the Wind on the big screen for the first time in my life.

Anyway, favorite horror movie director... I really can't choose. Besides there's so many directors who are not typically remembered for that particular genre, even though they created some of the most terrifying films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @SuzanneStone

I'm Flemish but crossing the border isn't a problem. Maybe I should keep an eye on the Pathé selection more often.

Gone With The Wind on the big screen... Suzanne, once again I'm very jealous!
    With all of the praise that's going to John Carpenter, I just wanted to throw some praise out there for Vampires. Probably not anywhere near the pinnacle of Carpenter's filmography (it can't hold a candle to Halloween or The Thing), but it's pretty darn entertaining. With James Woods hunting vampires, how could it not be?
    dalton wrote: »
    With all of the praise that's going to John Carpenter, I just wanted to throw some praise out there for Vampires. Probably not anywhere near the pinnacle of Carpenter's filmography (it can't hold a candle to Halloween or The Thing), but it's pretty darn entertaining. With James Woods hunting vampires, how could it not be?

Vampires predated From Dusk till dawn by two years and you can easily see that the latter one did borrow quite a lot from the earlier and cool attempt.

It doesn´t need to hold any candle, because it´s not a strict horror film in my book, it´s a cool film. A very cool film.

boldfinger wrote: »
    It doesn´t need to hold any candle, because it´s not a strict horror film in my book, it´s a cool film. A very cool film.

I would certainly agree with that.

And, on that note, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing James Woods tackle that kind of a film again. After what Twilight has done to the vampire genre, I'd love to see Woods and/or Carpenter make another film like that and take back the genre.

• Carpenter all the way. The Thing and Halloween stand as two of the greatest horror films of all time, and The Fog has always been dear to my heart (I usually watch it every year on Halloween or the night before). I also rather enjoy In the Mouth of Madness with its Lovecraftian nods, and while not horror films persay, Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape From New York borrow much in the way of mood from the genre. Carpenter is also due props for his revolutionary and now iconic approach in music. He was a true auteur of the genre.
    John Carpenter is one of the directors I admire the most. Extremely inventive and ambitious, he would turn miniscule budgets into imaginative and stylish thrillers. Halloween, The Thing, and Big Trouble in Little China are 3 of my favorite movies of all-time. He's had a few misfires, but I love him, and his music.

Craven is a good horror director as well, if we're only discussing these two. I love Nightmare and Scream. Special mention for Scream 2, which I think also deserves "classic status" in the slasher genre.
    @boldfinger, because you recommended it and because I value your opinion, I found myself a copy of Carpenter's album. Thank you, sir! :-) I've been listening to it all day. Heavy on bass and synth, it takes me back to Carpenter's scores for Season Of The Witch, Prince Of Darkness, They Live, ... It's music with a heavy 80s stamp on it but that's what I enjoy about it. You hooked me up on this!

333.jpg
    @DarthDimi, you´re very welcome! I can´t stop spinning that CD myself, and I have it for at least a month now. It should get every attention available in the public.

Thanks for also posting the album cover, which reminds me what a great cover that is! The blend of immediately recognizable Carpenter, sinister darkness, typical humor, and a trace of jazz fits the content extremely well.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 23,637
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>058
    </b>Your favourite Leo DiCaprio performance?</font>
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Romeo + Juliet
    I will have to choose between
    - Jango Unchained
    - Inception
    - The Wolf Of Wall Street
    - The Departed
    - The Aviator
    - Shutter Island

I'm going to pick a film that's not my favourite film in this list, but certainly my favourite Leo performance: The Aviator.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2015 Posts: 4,461
    This are movies with him i collect.

Catch Me If You Can
    The Departed
    The Beach
    Revolutionary Road
    Inception
    Body Of Lies
    Blood Diamond
    The Great Gatsby
    Shutter Island
    The Aviator
    J. Edgar (Also with Judi Dench..)
    The Wolf of Wall Street

But from this list on the moment i only have seen the first 3 and Inception.
    In Inception it was to much Departed copy.

So i think The Beach and Catch Me If You Can are my favorite. Romeo and Juliet is to long a go i seen it and Titanic i have seen twice.

catch-me-if-you-can-2002-03-g.jpg
    Catch Me If You Can
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited April 2015 Posts: 7,854
    Has no one seen Romeo + Juliet?! I'm sorry, but it takes serious acting chops to do that movie with a straight face.
    I have seen that movie, sadly enough.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 3,336
    I will say the Wolf of Wall Street is my favourite. He went completely crazy in that one =)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'd probably have to say Inception, given the seriously small amount of Leo movie's I've seen now that I see a list of stuff he's done.
    Can't say that I've seen all of his films, but I've seen a good number of them. I'd probably have to say that The Aviator is my favorite performance.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Inception for me. :)
    What's Eating Gilbert Grape, probably.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Blood Diamond.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    The Departed for me. Inception close second. I am not a huge fan of most of his work. I find hime samey in everything he does, but hey I dont rate Donald Sutherland for the same reason, and my father in law calls it blasphemy so what do I know??
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 5,767
    Inception is second for me, because it feels like the first time that Leo isn´t squinting all throughout the film.

Number one is clearly Wolf of Wall Street. Not only does he go all the way and back twice performance-wise, but he also narrates so enthusiastically that even the phone book would be worth listening to.

Oh, and even though I still haven´t managed to watch Titanic all through (don´t worry, a good pal has it in 3D), I find Leo always mesmerizing when he´s onscreen.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 372
    Titanic. I know people frown upon that movie now (and I'll admit it's cheesy in many ways) but he plays the character of Jack so well. In every other part he always plays this serious type of guy, or a semi-action character or something rough. But looking back, playing this naive free-spirited young man suited him best. He's so fresh in it, and you can truly sense there's this unpolished, humorous tone behind his character. I can't explain it very eloquently.

But anyway, maybe it's why I also enjoyed him in The Wold of Wall Street so much. In my opinion, he's at his best when he doesn't portray these very violent characters, which sadly he doesn't do very much.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I really need to watch 'Wolf' again. I've only seen it once in cinema, and it was dubbed in french so I couldn't really fully appreciate Dicaprio's performance.
    I really need to watch 'Wolf' again. I've only seen it once in cinema, and it was dubbed in french so I couldn't really fully appreciate Dicaprio's performance.

That's terrible!
    Why would the French want to cut out 50 % of DiCaprio's acting, i.e. his voice work?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Django Unchained probably. Honorable mention to Blood Diamond and The Departed.
    He was fantastic in Inception, too. This guy has gone from being an intolerable brat to a really great actor.