Feedback and Suggestions V2

1303132333436»

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm not even sure that I ever started a new thread, let alone eight. And I'm pretty sure that I would remember it if even one of them had been closed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have started 335. 324 of them were removed.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    So you have "11" of them in your "My Discussions"? :D
    Yes. I have forgotten which threads were censored. Must have been pretty bad stuff.
    Seems like quantity exceeded quality, somehow.
    They may have been threads like:
    "Why was my thread closed?"
    "Another thread closed! Seriously?"
    "Let the forum be my judge."
    "The mods need to stop and think"
    "Is this a fascist site?"
    "What happened to free speech?"
    "What the hell, why can tmy threads stay open?"
    "So tired of being censored"
    "Can at least this thread stay open? Please???"
    Etc etc

It s a shame they were closed, I don t understand it. Maybe I should open a thread about it.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2022 Posts: 17,730
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I've had a truly minor "problem" for a few months: Under my user name, the line "My Discussions" keeps showing an "8". But when I click on "My Discussions", the response is "No discussions were found". Not exactly what I'd call a nuisance, but strange.

Having been around these parts for a while i know that there's a simple answer to your query and that of @NickTwentyTwo. The explanation is that when you flag a post for review to a moderator the forum software puts that down as you having started a discussion even though you didn't actually post a new topic. So that would explain the discrepancy in the numbers of discussions on member's profiles. I believe I have the most discussions opened of any member on the forum. Some of them were probably when I flagged troll invasion posts and threads of which there were sadly a lot years ago.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Aaaah that does make a lot of sense, thanks for your insight @Dragonpol.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I've had a truly minor "problem" for a few months: Under my user name, the line "My Discussions" keeps showing an "8". But when I click on "My Discussions", the response is "No discussions were found". Not exactly what I'd call a nuisance, but strange.

Having been around these parts for a while i know that there's a simple answer to your query and that of @NickTwentyTwo. The explanation is that when you flag a post for review to a moderator the forum software puts that down as you having started a discussion even though you didn't actually post a new topic. So that would explain the discrepancy in the numbers of discussions on member's profiles. I believe I have the most discussions opened of any member on the forum. Some of them were probably when I flagged troll invasion posts and threads of which there were sadly a lot years ago.

I knew there was a simple answer and even I couldn't remember it. Thanks for that, @Dragonpol.
    Yep, it sounds reasonable, but if the system shows 8 discussions I started and then refuses to show any of those discussions I started, saying that there are none, I'm still a bit irritated. I also don't think I've flagged a total of 8 posts from others, though I'm not entirely sure about that. Also, this phenomenon is relatively new, say half a year or so.
    That s not it, come on. As if I should have flagged 300 posts.
    I'm not saying it accounts for all of them but I remember a mod or admin explaining that's why this was the case years ago. It could be something else as well but I can't think what else that could be. Hopefully someone more in the know will chip in.
    That s not it, come on. As if I should have flagged 300 posts.

More likely the amount of times your posts are flagged in a week. ;)
    That I can buy.
    That I can buy.

Only joking old pal. I'm sure mine have been flagged too in the past.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    How come @Thunderfinger got banned?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    QBranch wrote: »

Regrettably, some of his antics were getting out of hand and threatening the integrity of the forum. He can return if he wants to in the not-too-distant future.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Regrettably, some of his antics were getting out of hand and threatening the integrity of the forum. He can return if he wants to in the not-too-distant future.

That action or description is not appropriate for what I saw on this forum.

Mods and Admins please allow his access at first opportunity.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

By 'antics', you mean he wasn't actually entitled to his own opinions, due to them being the unfavourable, unpalatable, unpopular ones. He was supposed to say what you chaps want to hear. Whatever happened to having the discipline to simply ignore someone you think is speaking caca? I do this all the time in person. You said it yourself minutes before the ban, "I'm going to turn my back on this discussion". It seems the majority on this forum has the ability to do the same - it's not like everyone here was piling on top of him. Ignore and move on like most of us do.

As for 'integrity', I've been here long enough to see both old and new members get banned over bugger all, harmless/innocent comments deleted without explanation, and moderators spontaneously lashing out at members and never submitting an apology. I love this forum, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Regardless of what I think of @Thunderfinger's views, I applaud him for sticking to his guns for nine years.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Holy hell, it finally happened.

Ironically, I actually tried to get him banned awhile ago for calling all homosexual people "perverts", which I felt was an unwelcoming sentiment for a forum, but in more recent times he and I have been able to have amicable discussions.

I hope he does return at some point in the future and is able to have more moderate conversations with people here about Bond. I've come to value his input on certain things.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2022 Posts: 23,450
    @RichardTheBruce and @QBranch,

I'm sorry, guys, but that's not really fair. We have always allowed Thunderfinger a reasonable bit of freedom to say what he wanted and post what he wanted, regardless of our own, individual opinions. That he was only supposed to say what we wanted to hear is just not correct. We can easily separate our own thoughts from where we have to draw the line for the forum. Besides, it's not as if the mods agree on everything, not at all. And that's fine, of course. But when it comes to the forum, which is another matter entirely, we do agree with each other before we move.

I won't go into detail about why Thunderfinger's account was put on hiatus. Suffice it to say that this decision wasn't taken on a whim. It's also not permanent. But some things were getting out of hand, and no, this has nothing to do with him and me having different opinions about vaccinations. I would step down right away if I even considered banning someone over not being on the same page as me. Various members and I have very different things to say in all sorts of matters, yet I wouldn't want to lose them. I also don't want to lose Thunderfinger, whom I sincerely like. I am part of a team that tries to manage this forum to the best of our abilities; when I post about films, vaccinations and whatnot, I do so merely as DarthDimi, whose opinion is no more valid than anyone else's.
    As for 'integrity', I've been here long enough to see both old and new members get banned over bugger all, harmless/innocent comments deleted without explanation, and moderators spontaneously lashing out at members and never submitting an apology. I love this forum, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

There is always room for improvement. Absolutely. We are not the police; we don't follow a strict guidebook. Sometimes we're trapped between people who complain about someone and people who support that very someone, and then there are no "good ways" to handle this. We always a) take our time, b) give people a second, third, fourth, ... chance, c) reach an agreement in the mod room before we decide on a course of action. If we appear to be acting capriciously or impulsively, please know that we rarely are. And if members feel that we are acting without just cause and owe someone an apology, please let us know. We are by no means perfect and we don't always have all the answers. We are certainly open to suggestions and we do actually talk a lot to members via PM. In the end, we are just members too, a few guys who like to talk Bond. We voluntarily try to keep the forum peaceful and devoid of tension, that's all. This isn't about power, nor about "our view or the outside view." We are here as members, and only occasionally are we asked to step in.

Understand that when things are escalating, a short break from the forum can help a lot. The door is still open and Thunderfinger is welcome to return eventually. We know that Thunderfinger is liked by many -- we like the man too! -- but hopefully, we can be trusted to have had little choice in this matter. We always try to be reasonable, we never let our personal views interfere with the forum, and we believe in giving people another chance. This incident will be no different.
    Hopefully @Thunderfinger will be able to return to active duty soon. I think that today is his birthday so Happy Birthday to him. 🎂
    Understand that when things are escalating, a short break from the forum can help a lot.

Amen to that.

Sad to see that Thunderfinger is gone. I understand some of his opinions were not popular, to say the least --I certainly don't agree with some of them myself-- but from what I recall, whenever he had conversations on those subjects, they never quite escalated into protracted, aggressive conflict, and felt more like brief, mildly unpleasant disagreements. I will concede I don't necessarily have the whole picture on the matter. At any rate, I really enjoyed his terrific wit and eccentric sense of humor.

While I think I've read before that banned users are sometimes given another chance to return, I don't know how often that chance is taken by the user. I know I might not feel too keen to come back to a place after being kicked out (whether the action was justified or not). I have my doubts that he'll return, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.