Feedback and Suggestions V2

Comments

mattjoes wrote: »
    Hope I'm in the right place. Sometimes I check the forum while logged out and there is no way to get straight away to the last post of a discussion, as far as I can tell. I'd like to suggest that, if possible, such a link was added for the benefit of those of us who lurk in the shadows from time to time.

Well, I think that'd be hard to work around. The only way the site would know you'd read all the recent posts in a thread is if you were active on your account, and without that account active while offline it has no way of tracking what threads you view to bump you to the last page every time. The only way around it would be for every thread to take you to the last page available no matter what, but that makes no sense because some people who don't visit threads daily should be able to catch up on what they've missed in the last few pages before being put on the last page, losing a sense of what the last thing was that they'd read.

It's easy to go on a thread, scroll down and travel to the last page number available (which is always listed), and that gets you what you want with seconds of work.

At any rate, I was thinking more along the lines of having the thread title link to the first post, and the "most recent" text (or the time of the most recent post) link to the last post, which is more or less the way it works on some other message boards. Though perhaps that might be impossible due to the limitations of this specific board platform.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hope I'm in the right place. Sometimes I check the forum while logged out and there is no way to get straight away to the last post of a discussion, as far as I can tell. I'd like to suggest that, if possible, such a link was added for the benefit of those of us who lurk in the shadows from time to time.

Well, I think that'd be hard to work around. The only way the site would know you'd read all the recent posts in a thread is if you were active on your account, and without that account active while offline it has no way of tracking what threads you view to bump you to the last page every time. The only way around it would be for every thread to take you to the last page available no matter what, but that makes no sense because some people who don't visit threads daily should be able to catch up on what they've missed in the last few pages before being put on the last page, losing a sense of what the last thing was that they'd read.

It's easy to go on a thread, scroll down and travel to the last page number available (which is always listed), and that gets you what you want with seconds of work.

At any rate, I was thinking more along the lines of having the thread title link to the first post, and the "most recent" text (or the time of the most recent post) link to the last post, which is more or less the way it works on some other message boards. Though perhaps that might be impossible due to the limitations of this specific board platform.

@mattjoes, ahh, that's not a bad idea. I am unsure of the possibility of it, as I know little about what the forum runs on.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Hi, just wondering if there was any way that a discussion, that has now finished and unlikely that any thing else will be added, can be downloaded as a file to my desktop? I'm just interested in putting a specific thread all together in one, say Word, document.

Cheers in advance.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Oftentimes, while I type, some autocorrectbot created by the tech villains here, will suggest "ClarkDevlin". Am I the only one or what? What the Hell is that about?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oftentimes, while I type, some autocorrectbot created by the tech villains here, will suggest "ClarkDevlin". Am I the only one or what? What the Hell is that about?

I had the EXACT same problem, also with ClarkDevlin's name. Only happened to me on one thread a few weeks back, hasn't happened since for some reason (fingers crossed...).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I had the EXACT same problem, also with ClarkDevlin's name. Only happened to me on one thread a few weeks back, hasn't happened since for some reason (fingers crossed...).

I've had problems typing a certain members name with the search function after typing the starting "@". Yesterday I was trying to comment something directly to you yesterday, @Creasy47, and instead @DarthDimi kept coming up instead and erasing what I was trying to type. That's never happened to me before, but it was weird.
    The power of the dark side...
    Okay, this is just getting weird. Another issue I have now, but not sure if it's what everyone experiences.

Just like I had trouble selecting certain members to quote after typing @ and beginning their username, every time I try to type in "Thunderfinger" to directly quote or mention him, a small window (like the one that you see when you flag a post, but smaller and in simple text like you use in chat instead of the bold letters and "Flag" button) pops up that says:

Please DO NOT engage this member in conversation on the forum pages. It only encourages him and his activity must be restrained and limited on the site to the highest possible degree.

Consider this, or consider a ban.

-The MI6 Community Mod Team

Anyone else get this warning?

I did a screencap:

y5ACtq9.jpg

What really caught me off guard was when I got this message from a mod later on (about an hour after the alert window came up), with the implication being that I was being contacted for trying to talk to Thundy or even just type his name on the forum, though he was only mentioned as "you-know-who":

lgsGFBb.jpg

What's going on here? Is there a plan to flush him out of the forum? Certainly a private chat with him or a swift ban would suffice (harsh, but...), instead of barking up the trees of random members who simply type his name??
    jake24 wrote: »
    I was told not to speak about it, but I've been through the exact same issue.

Well, you shouldn't have then. I didn't get as strict a warning I guess, but I hope you've not endangered your place here by speaking up. You're one of the good ones, and your ban would not go over well.

I don't want to speak out of turn here, but mods must also understand the great responsibility that comes with their power.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm also having the issue of having my username appear nonchalantly whenever I quote something or someone. What's up with that?

And er... what are the ban warnings above for?
    I'm also having the issue of having my username appear nonchalantly whenever I quote something or someone. What's up with that?

Sometimes I'll be trying to type out a message and the comment box will keep flashing the search function for members and won't disappear unless I save the draft or backspace, which is strange. It seems to happen most often in messages where I'm mentioning a lot of members, as if the search function doesn't know what to do when you link/mention/quote that many members.
    And er... what are the ban warnings above for?

Apparently there's a mod conspiracy to oust Thunderfinger from the forum, and @jake24 and myself are headed to the gallows for speaking up about it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Wait was that real or a late April Fool's joke? :O
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Murdock wrote: »
    Wait was that real or a late April Fool's joke? :O

At this stage, who knows. @jake24 has had his post redacted, so something is fishy and behind the curtains things seem to have been unsettled.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What the hell is this?
    I didn't send that message to @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Either a severe glitch or something more sinister.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    We will get the techy tech people on to it
    Come on peeps,there is no 'mod conspiracy' here...i'm sure they have more important things to do in life eh ?!
    There is a mole within the MI6.
    There is a C among us.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Safe to say the mods are as confused as everyone else.
    And you know what C stands for : confused.
    I would've thought it stood for something else.

And it's not what Ralph Fiennes says.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And you know what C stands for

ClarkDevlin
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And you know what C stands for

ClarkDevlin
    Oy!
    I meant to ClarkDevlin type "What?" ClarkDevlin
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I've found many don't agree with my views and opinions, ..... Could Something
    Be done about this ? :-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It's a conspiracy!
    Can someone tell me how the hell they got into our system?!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2017 Posts: 17,816

I suspect that they are either ex-Quantum or SPECTRE agents.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I suspect that they are either ex-Quantum or SPECTRE agents.
    SHHHH.

SMERSHHHH!