Community Software Upgrade and Redesign

MI6MI6 Administrator
edited July 2014 in MI6 Headlines & Feedback Posts: 677
Today we rolled out a major update to both the functionality and design of our community software.

Most of the changes will be pressed into service making the forums faster, more reliable, less buggy. There are a few user interface changes that should make it easier to browse the community and share your views.

For instance:

- We've reformed the default index page to display recent topics by category Rolled back due to "popular demand"
- A new top left profile panel that gives you easier access to private messages, bookmarks, settings and alerts.
- An improved search tool that lives in-house
- A cleaner design

A few of the features you enjoyed previously have been put on ice until the kinks in their computability with the core software can be ironed out. We'll work on these, or reasonable substitutes within a few days and months.

As with any major upgrade there'll be a few things we missed; we appreciate your patience and feedback.

PS. If your "notifications" icon an unread count but the dropdown list shows no new activity visit your fully notifications feed <a href="http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/profile/notifications">here</a>; to catch up on the news and to clear the counter.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Thanks for getting this done and the best of luck with getting the rest of features in place. I hope sticky threads is one of them. :)
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    We now have "announcements" which we can isolate to a particular category.

This topic is an example of that very thing.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Is there anything indicating that it is an 'announcement'?

I must be not seeing something, being as blind as a bat but I'll blame it on getting to know my way around again.
    The "date, time, most recent etc" text is not as clear as it could be. It's very pale.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Squint like me, Willy. Or enlarge the oversize of the page, which I now find myself doing more often now that I have become "older." Ha! ;) Seriously, it would be good if that could make it a tad darker. I'm still trying to adjust to the different font.

No worries, though. Small things different are okay; bigger things changed that will help our forum run better, that's great.
    Ah, I find I cannot edit yet. (I meant to type "overall" not "oversize."
    I'm sure editing will function for me soon. Small glitches expected.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This is a nice surprise. Looks comparatively high-tech.
    One other thing, I notice that I cannot view my post on the thread when I post it. It does not show. I have to leave the thread entirely and go back to even make sure it posted. Then I can see it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Many thanks for the update, guys. Much appreciated. :-bd

@4Ever I can see my post without refreshing or returning to the page. It's working fine for me.

Also, the edit post function can be found on the right at the cog icon, next to 'quote'.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Letter type option to make this 8 or 9 letter type a 10 or 11.

As extra comment on 4EverBonded: |A color in the preview be nice and push on the preview you back in edit mode.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Very nice update!

But I do seen to be having the same problem as @4EverBonded
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    It's working normally for me, and that's all that really matters. ;)
    I found the edit button, but it won't work for me yet. Still cannot see my posts when I post them. But I know it will be fixed, just giving my status on that.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Wow, what I surprise! It looks nice, let's see how it goes. I really appreciate that there are changes being made to improve the forum. Thanks to the team behind it!
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    What a beautiful upgrade. The slick and clean design makes the forum look quite elegant. It's in its best shape since Keeping The British End Up, IMO.
    It will take me a while getting used to it, but it does look nice.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited July 2014 Posts: 2,044
    Well, what a nice surprise you've guys have fixed on a Saturday like this! It will take it's time getting used to, but I'm sure that I will enjoy it!

Edit: It looks like there's quite some problems using this site from the mobile.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, this was a hell of a thing to wake up to this morning. It'll take some getting used to, but let's see how it goes...
    I don't know. Maybe I'll get used to it but at the moment I'm missing the old layout.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't know. Maybe I'll get used to it but at the moment I'm missing the old layout.

I miss the old layout too, but a lot of the bugs have been remedied and some things made to run smoother, so it may be worth it.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I missed the old layout for a minute, but I'm finding this new one nicely streamlined.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I missed the old layout for a minute, but I'm finding this new one nicely streamlined.

Yeah. It's expected that this new layout will take time to warm up to, since we've had the same exact forum layout for over two years.

• I keep getting this error message: "Fatal error: Call to a member function Result() on a non-object in /home/mi6community.com/mi6community.com/applications/vanilla/views/discussion/comments.php on line 14"

And sometimes my most recent post doesn't show up until I leave the page and come back.
    That happened to me once right after I got on the forums this morning, but I haven't run into any problems since.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Great job, very slick design!
    New digs...
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    0013 wrote: »
    New digs...
    I'm not sure that the Decorators are quite done yet !.
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    0013 wrote: »
    New digs...
    I'm not sure that the Decorators are quite done yet !.

Your interior decorating tips have always been appreciated, @Mrcoggins.
    Oooh and to think im not normally online at weekends,the one time i pop in and we are seeing a new MI6....well done all and lets make this site the best there is for 007 chat and info (which it already is IMO since the old KTBEU site we used to have !! )
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well, it's very different but I'm willing to give it a chance. I'm sure there has been much work behind the scenes to get to this stage - so well done to all involved. May this community continue to go from strength to strength!