Rambo: Last Blood (September 20, 2019)

Comments

• edited September 2019 Posts: 646
    chrisisall wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    The irony is that of all of the Rambo films , Last Blood is the least political. This is a simply story of good guy(s) vs bad guys. Any politicization is projected by certain critics and viewers.

Least political? Any "coincidence" that the present POTUS considers Mexicans drug dealers & rapists? Sorry, Sly was great at times in his day, but he's lost his mind presently. If I was writing a story after Rambo came home, it'd be a story similar to First Blood, but where neoNazis were threatening his friends. In Rambo he tackled truth, in Last Blood he seems to be tackling rightie fantasies.
    Wait!! Are you serious??? So there are no rapists and drug dealers in Mexico??? We don’t have drugs coming across the border?? Ok, got it. Mexico = Finland. Look who’s delusional now.

And Rambo fighting Neo-Nazis? Really? Lefty fantasy much???

Rambo fighting Mexicans is too political but fighting neo-Nazis is not?????
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    You need to brush up on the definition of fascism.

From an authoritarian perspective, fascism means less. It makes me sad that you side with the divider of families. Simplicity is comforting, but it's not accurate.
    I hope you hate Obama as much as Trump because the dividing of families began under his administration.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited September 2019 Posts: 7,981
    In virtually any country if a parent commits a crime and is arrested or detained, and they have their children with them, they are going to be separated. World wide, unauthorized entry into a country is illegal.
    Also , many children are traveling with people who turn out not to be their parents; they are being used as props. In the process they are being subjected to all sorts of horrors including sexual abuse.
    Part of separating children from adults is to establish if they are indeed truly with their parent(s) ; the separation of children from adults is in large part to ensure the safety of the minors.

Again, it wasn’t my point to get into a free for all about U.S./Mexican politics; my point, having seen the movie, is that it is not politically motivated; it does not deal with political issues. This is good guys vs bad guys.

The only political angle that could be read into it is that neither country is doing enough to confront the problem.
    This is from a Stallone site that I frequent, if
    accurate, there is definitely a need for a director’s cut. There’s a better movie to be had here.

I saw a rough cut of the film back in early May at a test screening, and I am very taken aback by how much they cut out or altered. I am going to list all the changes here, but if you haven’t seen it yet, come back to this later for the scoop. Also, it should be noted that friends from different countries have been telling me that these missing scenes were in the version they saw in the theater. Apparently, Australia and Germany retained quite a bit of the deleted stuff, but not everything.

SIGNIFICANT CHANGES:

1. The original cut had a 10-minute sequence that opened the film, which is completely gone now. The sequence opens at night during a terrible storm. Two hikers – a male and a female – are on a mountain, stranded and separated from each other. Park rangers have given up on rescuing them, and Rambo with a poncho and hat rides up on his horse to attempt a rescue. He encounters the husband, who rejects his help because he won’t leave his wife behind. Rambo leaves him in frustration and eventually finds the woman, who accepts his help. A flash flood is about to happen, and Rambo tethers his horse in a canyon crevice and puts the woman on his horse, saving her just as the flood washes all over the place. Afterwards, Rambo and the woman on his horse come down the mountain or ravine, finding that the rangers have pulled the woman’s husband’s dead body from the muck. The woman is loaded onto an ambulance, and the rangers ask their sheriff who was the guy who saved the lady. He goes, “That’s John; he helps out sometimes.” Rambo is pissed that he could only save the woman. This is important because it parallels in irony the events that happen later.

2. There’s a scene missing now where Rambo is relaxing after he puts on a record in his cave – he listens to “Riders on the Storm” by The Doors and reads a book / writes in a journal. (If I recall correctly, he narrates what he’s writing.) I really liked this scene, and I don’t understand why it’s gone.

3. When Rambo is interrogating the friend who betrayed his surrogate daughter in her kitchen, he slams the knife on her table and he says something like, “You can help me, or you can die right now. Your call.” This dialogue is gone, and it’s weird why. It was a clear callback to RAMBO 4.

4. As I recall, we see the moment after Gabrielle is raped for the last time. If I recall correctly, we see the guy zipping up his pants, and then Rambo sees him BUT LETS HIM LEAVE. I can understand why this was cut out. It bothered me that Rambo would just let this guy walk away.

5. There’s a scene when the cartel invites a bunch of cops to rape all the girls. The cops seem happy about it. That’s gone.

6. There’s an important scene now gone where Rambo gifts his housekeeper Maria with the deed to his ranch. In this theatrical version, she is holding the deed when he sends her off, but they never say or indicate what she’s holding. It’s her ranch now, not Rambo’s.

7. When Rambo has shot the lead cartel guy with four of his arrows, he tries shooting him a fifth time as he draws closer, but he doesn’t have the strength. The arrow lopsidedly falls to to the ground, indicating that Rambo is very severely wounded. That’s gone. I’m glad it is, because it was hard seeing Rambo so weak.

8. The last shot of the movie ends with the pan out and fade on Rambo on the chair, and his voice over sort of made it seem like that was the end of him. This final cut threw in the montage of the previous films and showed him on his horse in the last shot before the end credits.

This new version released in the USA definitely felt like a compromised and way-too-tight version. I can’t say I “liked” either version: This is not the RAMBO I wanted in any way, shape, or form. More thought needed to be put into it, and definitely a bigger budget. I would have preferred no RAMBO 5 over this one. Some fellow Rambo fans are loving it because it’s “savage,” but that’s just the icing on what should’ve been a well balanced meal. This movie is malnourished.”
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185
    Rambo Last Blood has the same stereotypical depiction of Bad guys as Rambo II and Rambo III.

Rambo II - All Vietnamese are evil scumbags, except for the sacrificial lamb that Rambo falls in love with.

Rambo III - All russians are evil scumbags, but if i remember correctly they had a token russian who was living among the good guys. A cook or something. Haven't seen it in ages.

In Last Blood, pretty much all mexicans that are shown on screen are evil scumbags, except for the victims of the sex trade, the female reporter that is fighting against the cartel, and most of all RAMBO'S OWN DAMN daughter figure and her caretaker... who both happen to be mexican themselves.

If you wanna see racism in here... you probably see racism everywhere.

Suprisingly i never hear anybody complain about First Blood and it's stereotypical depiction of small town sheriffs who all happen to be evil and incompetent dumbasses.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Rambo Last Blood has the same stereotypical depiction of Bad guys as Rambo II and Rambo III.

Rambo II - All Vietnamese are evil scumbags, except for the sacrificial lamb that Rambo falls in love with.

Rambo III - All russians are evil scumbags, but if i remember correctly they had a token russian who was living among the good guys. A cook or something. Haven't seen it in ages.

In Last Blood, pretty much all mexicans that are shown on screen are evil scumbags, except for the victims of the sex trade, the female reporter that is fighting against the cartel, and most of all RAMBO'S OWN DAMN daughter figure and her caretaker... who both happen to be mexican themselves.

Suprisingly i never hear anybody complain about First Blood and it's stereotypical depiction of small town sheriffs who all happen to be evil and incompetent dumbasses.

What a great post...

What a great post...

is that sarcasm? :)) the dots make me wonder haha.
    Oh no, completely sincere; the dots are my way of saying that I could elaborate but think I’ve already said enough 😉
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You are beyond ignorant on the subject but too blinded by a prejudice to seek the facts,
    That is beyond sad . I’m done with this.
    One question @chrisisall generally speaking, where do you live?

...just curious
    rambo-last-blood-the-new-trailer-of-the-long-awaited-sequel-with-sylvester-stallone.jpg
    😆 nah, just to get a feeling for perspective.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    This 10-Minute Sequence Was Cut from ‘Rambo: Last Blood’ for Its Release in the US, UK and Canada
    SPOILERS
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3585147/10-minute-sequence-cut-rambo-last-blood-release-us-uk-canada/
    Interesting I expect this scene will be on the Bluray, it sounds good

That scene was great! Wonder why they cut it. It helps a lot to ground the movie in reality from the start, and gives the audience a much better idea of what Rambo has been up to since coming home. Also it makes the whole damn film feel even more nihilistic than it already is. I suspect the nihilism is what put a lot of people off, more than any precieved politics (which i didn't see personally).

Maybe they wanted to have an extra scene for the blu ray release. Can't otherwise explain the last minute removal of such an important character moment. It would have greatly benefited the film (and in my case it did).

Seems odd to remove a scene that sounds that good, no doubt a dumb studio decision. To be honest the deleted scenes (UK cinema release) have made me think I may as well wait for the Bluray.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited September 2019 Posts: 1,165
    I’ll wait for the inevitable extended edition on Bluray.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    In virtually any country if a parent commits a crime and is arrested or detained, and they have their children with them, they are going to be separated. World wide, unauthorized entry into a country is illegal.
    Also , many children are traveling with people who turn out not to be their parents; they are being used as props. In the process they are being subjected to all sorts of horrors including sexual abuse.
    Part of separating children from adults is to establish if they are indeed truly with their parent(s) ; the separation of children from adults is in large part to ensure the safety of the minors.

Again, it wasn’t my point to get into a free for all about U.S./Mexican politics; my point, having seen the movie, is that it is not politically motivated; it does not deal with political issues. This is good guys vs bad guys.

The only political angle that could be read into it is that neither country is doing enough to confront the problem.
    Couldn’t have said it better myself, talos. Temporary separation happens for a reason. Not because American agents on the border are evil scumbags who do Hitler salutes to Trump. This has been standard procedure over the course of many administrations. The reason the separation numbers are higher during this administration is because Trump is actually doing something about the inflow of illegals whereas past administrations have largely looked the other way. Hence separation numbers were smaller. That’s how it works.
    This 10-Minute Sequence Was Cut from ‘Rambo: Last Blood’ for Its Release in the US, UK and Canada
    SPOILERS
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3585147/10-minute-sequence-cut-rambo-last-blood-release-us-uk-canada/
    Interesting I expect this scene will be on the Bluray, it sounds good

That scene was great! Wonder why they cut it. It helps a lot to ground the movie in reality from the start, and gives the audience a much better idea of what Rambo has been up to since coming home. Also it makes the whole damn film feel even more nihilistic than it already is. I suspect the nihilism is what put a lot of people off, more than any precieved politics (which i didn't see personally).

Maybe they wanted to have an extra scene for the blu ray release. Can't otherwise explain the last minute removal of such an important character moment. It would have greatly benefited the film (and in my case it did).

Seems odd to remove a scene that sounds that good, no doubt a dumb studio decision. To be honest the deleted scenes (UK cinema release) have made me think I may as well wait for the Bluray.

It's a pivotal scene that stuck with me after i finished watching the film. I sets the tone for the film and really gives it it's theme. Can only be a stupid Studio decision to remove it. Without it you are left with a limp first half.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,388

How “Rambo Last Blood” Explains The Widening Gap between Audiences and Reviewers
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185

How “Rambo Last Blood” Explains The Widening Gap between Audiences and Reviewers

Great Video and I 100% agree with it. All that should be freaking obvious really but people are bringing their own Bias to the discussion.
    As a fan of the franchise, my main disappointment is that I hardly ever felt like I was watching Rambo; virtually any action actor, as any character could have been plugged into this story.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,388

Great Video and I 100% agree with it. All that should be freaking obvious really but people are bringing their own Bias to the discussion.

The point made that some reviewers (Corporate) have to peddle the agenda of there employers instead of there own genuine opinion rings very true
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

What a great post...

Yeah, I jumped on this too hard & fast. It's just in this political climate, going up against evil Mexicans seems like pandering to me. Plus, his hair is too short. I'm from the north east, just to say. Born in Manhattan.

What a great post...

Yeah, I jumped on this too hard & fast. It's just in this political climate, going up against evil Mexicans seems like pandering to me. Plus, his hair is too short. I'm from the north east, just to say. Born in Manhattan.

It might be 'topical' but it's absolutely not pandering. Rambo II and III were topical as well, and IV too i guess. Bond films also try to be topical but never pander. It's similar.
    Rambo just needs more cannon fodder... A lot more. That's all.

Stallone has always said that Rambo is apolitcal and that he was shocked when Reagan politicised Rambo in the 80's.

What a great post...

I’ve got you brother, and can understand feeling strongly about the subject; it’s complex, with no simple solutions.
    My reaction was also, more intense than it needed to be .
    Peace ✌🏼

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

What a great post...

I’ve got you brother, and can understand feeling strongly about the subject; it’s complex, with no simple solutions.
    My reaction was also, more intense than it needed to be .
    Peace ✌🏼

Peace is the way.... except if you were Edith Keeler... ;)
    I get It 🖖
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Rambo: Last Blood to receive a digital release on December 3rd and a DVD/blu-ray/4K UHD release on December 17th:

https://collider.com/rambo-last-blood-digital-4k-bluray-release-date-details-bonus-content/

rambo-last-blood-4k-482x600.png

It's an incredibly barebones release. Here are the Special Features:

- “Drawing Last Blood: Multipart Production Diary” Featurette
    - “From First Note to Last Blood: Music for the Massacres” Featurette
    - Theatrical Trailer
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    No extended cut? Laaaaame.
    Minion wrote: »
    No extended cut? Laaaaame.

Why lame?
    I hope the UK 4K release has the deleted scenes inserted, as the beginning of the film was cut out of the theatrical release here.
  • edited February 2020 Posts: 301
    Rambo V is nominated for 9 Golden Raspberry Awards.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 301
    And "won" 2 Razzies.
    One for Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel and the second for Worst Reckless Disregard for Human Life and Public Property.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40th_Golden_Raspberry_Awards