Rambo: Last Blood (September 20, 2019)

Comments

Absolutely!!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’ve been following this film very closely over on a Stallone site; I think we’re in for something special. It’s going to be brutal but poignant, with a lot of heart. Also, based on many stills, it’s going to look great as well.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’ve been following this film very closely over on a Stallone site; I think we’re in for something special. It’s going to be brutal but poignant, with a lot of heart. Also, based on many stills, it’s going to look great as well.

That sounds good to me, looking forward to that trailer drop!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2019 Posts: 23,376

Awesome!

Awesome!

That looks great!!!! \m/ :-bd
    Good vibrations :-)!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Rambo: Last Blood officially clocking in at 1 hour & 40 minutes (8 minutes longer than 2008's Rambo).
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Gotta be honest I'm more excited about this than I am for NTTD...
    It also has the benefit that we don´t have to wait for it as long... :-))
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    But isn't the title too obvious and derivative. Okay I'm joking.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Rambo: Last Blood oficially rated R for ''strong graphic violence, grisly images, drug use and language''.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Rambo: Last Blood oficially rated R for ''strong graphic violence, grisly images, drug use and language''.

Sounds good to me! They should also add, 'Not PC viewing' :)
    "grisly images"? Haven´t read that before. Nice :-)!

Now ya talking!!! :-bd
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Well I am shocked. I was hoping for a PG rating, fun for the whole family.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    This is an awesome trailer...

Now it does give a bit more of the story , but I don’t think it spoils anything.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Brutal Red Band Trailer
    Saw it yesterday. Damn, that is one intese movie.
    In hindsight i regret having watched the trailers as they show way too much.
    @00Agent How are the action scenes?
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185

Good, pretty much what you see in the trailer... almost all of it. But there are a few grizzly kills they kept for the film, thankfully. It's very satisfying to watch though when Rambo finally explodes. The whole movie is building up to the final confrontation on the Ranch.
    00Agent wrote: »

Good, pretty much what you see in the trailer... almost all of it. But there are a few grizzly kills they kept for the film, thankfully. It's very satisfying to watch though when Rambo finally explodes. The whole movie is building up to the final confrontation on the Ranch.

Fantastic. I'll be seeing this next week. Can't wait!
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Saw this yesterday. Sorry to say it kind of sucked IMO.
  • BondStu wrote: »
    Saw this yesterday. Sorry to say it kind of sucked IMO.

Yeah, sadly I felt the same. Genuinely terrible imo.

Love Stallone. He's one of my childhood heroes and I don't think he gets enough credit as an actor writer or director. Probably genuinely my favourite actor. I love the majority of the Rocky movies and I love the first three Rambo films. The first is just a genuinely brilliant film and two and three are pretty much the perfect fun over the top action movies.

Four (Rambo) I didn't like. I felt that it tried to combine the real and gritty tone of the first one with the OTT action of the sequels and it didn't really work for me. This one has that problem but it's even worse, to the point that it'd be unintentionally hilarious if it wasn't so shockingly insensitive about the issues it's tackling. Some of the action was okay but overall I just thought it was a tone deaf mess. I thought Stallone, who to reiterate again I love to bits, gave his worst performance in years, and a lot of the time it felt more like a cheap low budget knock off of better movies (Taken, Logan, etc) than it did a Rambo film. It didn't even have a satisfying ending. His final speech seemed completely at odds with what was going on. Was it meant to be ambiguous and metaphorical? Who knows, who cares.

Crap film and an even crapper ending to the series imo. I didn't like the fourth one either, but in hindsight that was a lot better than this, and him finally heading home to see his dad at the end was a much more satisfying ending to the series than the end of this one. Sly seemed to be on a winning streak lately too with the Creed films so this was really disappointing. Hope Expendables 4 is better.
  • Critics are tearing it apart, but I'm hoping it will be enjoyable.. we'll see.
    Over on a Stallone site that I frequent opinions are VERY split.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Critics are tearing it apart, but I'm hoping it will be enjoyable.. we'll see.

Audience score is higher, which I tend to put more stock in these days.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 11,425
    First Blood is a great film but this looks dire. One of the things that makes FB good is that it's actually quite political, although it arguably loses the plot a bit towards the end. I assumed SS would have returned to some of those themes here, but it just looks like a pumped up Liam Neeson one man on a mission revenge movie. And a shame it's reverted to the Rambo abroad killing foreigners formula of Rambo 2 and 3.

It was setting the original film in the US and asking what happens when a man like this returns home after he has been dehumanised and made to kill innocents by the US government that made it interesting. In FB the film was also looking at how America treats the veterans of its immoral and failed dirty foreign wars.

This just looks like popcorn nonsense.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 3,333
    I thought it was above average, but not up to the high-octane standards of the previous outing. For the record, I only truly liked the first one and Rambo (also known as Rambo IV). I don't have a problem with Rambo taking on the Mexican human-trafficking cartel, it's just the way in which the character was drawn into the fight by the contrived introduction of a niece whose estranged father happens to be an unsavoury character with links to the dark underbelly of the Mexican underworld. A lot of people are talking about Taken (2008) being its source of inspiration but I feel it has more in common with the excellent Man On Fire (2004) or even Commando (1985), which both share a similar story of a young girl being kidnapped in Latin America. The main difference here is that with Rambo:Last Blood it feels convoluted. That's not to say that there isn't anything to enjoy here, it's just the events unfold rather too quickly to be totally satisfying and plausible. It might have been better had a close friend come to Rambo's ranch to enlist his services rather than him having his niece be the high stakes. Is it as terrible as some critics would have you believe? No, it's not. Is it great? I'm afraid it's not that either. But it is rather good seeing Rambo have one more last gory stand against the bad guys with his crossbow and knife.

What I'd really like to see is the 3-hour long version of Rambo: First Blood.
    Planned to see it this week. But it's not coming in with favourable reviews from anyone.
    To be honest the first one is still the best. One of my favourite action movies. Ted Kotcheff ( at one time a potential Director for Daltons 3rd Bond movie!!) did a brilliant job with story, character and action.
    The rest of the franchise are pretty forgettable. Part 4 was on telly last night, forgotten how ludicrously violent the finale is! Will still give this film a look. My expectations are low, so I may end up enjoying some of it.