Rambo: Last Blood (September 20, 2019)

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah I take it all in fun, sure, @boldfinger.

But let me tell you I did have a moment of horror checking IMDb on these things and discovering there is a planned 2020 "remake". And I'm surprised to think that unlike Jack Ryan, John Rambo can dance.
    Rambo (2020)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6912162/?ref_=nv_sr_5?ref_=nv_sr_5
    Action, Drama | 2 October 2020 (India)

Remake of the Rambo film series. Plot is unknown.

Producers: Siddharth Anand, Gulzar Inder Chahal, Samir Gupta, Saurabh Gupta, Hunt Lowry, Daljit DJ Parmar
    Directors: Siddharth Anand (as Siddharth Raj Anand), Siddharth Anand
    Writer: Siddharth Anand
    Star: Tiger Shroff
    MV5BMjllMGVhYTktOTcxZC00NTVhLWE3YjYtNjI5MGZhZDhlN2MzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQxNDg4OTM@._V1_UY268_CR8,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited September 2019 Posts: 7,981
    Having seen all of the films , and enjoyed all of them then to a varying degree, my personal ranking is,

1. Rambo (2008) flawless, absolutely not,
    but something about this film really
    connected with me; it is completely true
    to the character, as was Rocky Balboa
    two years earlier. In the end he is a hero
    who finds purpose and finally, after a
    Long road, makes it home.
    Part of me thinks this should have been
    Rambo’s ultimately peaceful finale’

2. First Blood. A classic and a film grounded
    In reality.

3. Rambo: First Blood part 2. A pure action
    film that sheds light on the issue of MIAs

4. Rambo 3 This film is overly mocked
    because Rambo fights along side Afghan
    freedom fighters , some of whom would
    eventually become the Taliban. Who
    could have known, lol; Bond did the
    same.

5. Rambo: Last Blood. This is a generic
    action film adapted to feature John
    Rambo; it has its moments, but nothing
    that could’ve featured Martin Riggs,
    John McClane, or any other old school
    action character.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @talos7, totally agreed about Rambo. It's not perfect but it's an incredibly frenetic action film and handles the character really well, while also working as a lovely closing chapter to Rambo's story.
    Yeah I take it all in fun, sure, @boldfinger.

But let me tell you I did have a moment of horror checking IMDb on these things and discovering there is a planned 2020 "remake". And I'm surprised to think that unlike Jack Ryan, John Rambo can dance.
    Rambo (2020)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6912162/?ref_=nv_sr_5?ref_=nv_sr_5
    Action, Drama | 2 October 2020 (India)

Remake of the Rambo film series. Plot is unknown.

Producers: Siddharth Anand, Gulzar Inder Chahal, Samir Gupta, Saurabh Gupta, Hunt Lowry, Daljit DJ Parmar
    Directors: Siddharth Anand (as Siddharth Raj Anand), Siddharth Anand
    Writer: Siddharth Anand
    Star: Tiger Shroff
    MV5BMjllMGVhYTktOTcxZC00NTVhLWE3YjYtNjI5MGZhZDhlN2MzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQxNDg4OTM@._V1_UY268_CR8,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
    Haha, yeah, I saw that poster a while ago, @RichardTheBruce, and my mind is still unable to grasp the reality of this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    mattjoes wrote: »
    1982 First Blood
    1985 Rambo: First Blood Part II
    1988 Rambo III
    2008 Rambo
    2020 Rambo: Last Blood

So it is possible. Rambo: Last Blood Part II.

The titles of Rambo are a complete mess :)) Rambo III followed by Rambo? The next film should be called Rambo VI: First Blood Part III, Last Blood Part II.

Hehe, who knows? Or maybe JOHN RAMBO. The titles are as uninspired as the movies.
    There also was a Turkish Rambo in the '80s :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage_(1986_film)

220px-Rampagekorkusuzposter.jpg
    mattjoes wrote: »
    1982 First Blood
    1985 Rambo: First Blood Part II
    1988 Rambo III
    2008 Rambo
    2020 Rambo: Last Blood

So it is possible. Rambo: Last Blood Part II.

The titles of Rambo are a complete mess :)) Rambo III followed by Rambo? The next film should be called Rambo VI: First Blood Part III, Last Blood Part II.

Hehe, who knows? Or maybe JOHN RAMBO. The titles are as uninspired as the movies.
    I think Rambo was titled John Rambo in Germany. Of course it had to, because the former title was used here for the first film, instead of First Blood.
    Same thing in France.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    @thelivingroyale - First Blood will still always be a great movie. I'd rather see that get a cinema re release than sit through one of these lame sequels again.
  • I saw “Last Blood” last Sunday and I’m quite happy.
    Maybe first act was a little bit slow but I enjoyed the rest of “Last Blood” and the movie wasn’t as awful as critics made it out to be.
    ---
    This is my current Rambo ranking:
    1) 1982 First Blood
    2) 2008 Rambo
    3) 2019 Rambo: Last Blood
    4) 1985 Rambo: First Blood Part II
    5) 1988 Rambo III
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Tough to rank as i haven't seen them in years but i would go with:

1. Rambo 4
    2. Rambo: First Blood Part II
    3. Rambo: Last Blood
    4. First Blood
    5. Rambo III

Though i don't dislike any of them. Rambo 3 just feels like a lukewarm copy of 2 at times, but it's still tons of fun.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 12,837
    1) First Blood. A classic with one of Stallone's best performances. Everything about it works. One of the best action films ever made and one of my favourite films in general.

2) First Blood Part II/Rambo 3. Can't choose between them. First Blood is a film that didn't really need any sequels but these films are fun for what they are. I still love them anyway.

3) Rambo. Heart was in the right place but a very misjudged film imo. Combining the tone/reality of First Blood with the OTT action of the sequels just doesn't work. Has its moments though and the ending was a nice way of bringing things full circle.

4) Last Blood. Same problems as the last one plus Rambo doesn't even feel like Rambo anymore. It just felt like a cheap and nasty exploitation film, Stallone gives his worst performance in years, the surrogate family feels shoehorned in, the ending was weird and not a patch on the ending of four. Crap. I regret paying to see it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2019 Posts: 4,043
    1. First Blood

2.Rambo 4
    3.Rambo First Blood Part 2
    4.Rambo 3

To be honest I just think FB towers over the other films, it's aged extremely well and I just bought it on 4K and can't wait to watch it again.

Like a number of my friends back in the day the first VHS rental we ever had was First Blood. Fond memories of watching it, it's still a powerful experience even now, the other films are cartoons in comparison.

As for the sequels I really don't care for them to be honest but to each is own.

I don't imagine I'll be bothering with Last Blood.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,387
    1) First Blood (Masterpiece)
    2) Rambo (Masterpiece)
    3) Rambo: First Blood Part 2
    4) Rambo III

I have not seen Last Blood, may go and watch it later today
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    2) Rambo (Masterpiece)
    4) Rambo III

First Blood WAS a damn masterpiece... Rambo was unexpectedly excellent... parts 2 & 3 were enjoyable nonsense... Last Blood I might rent at some point (but probably not) as it seems like Sly trying too hard to be politically relevant or something.... "A man's got to know his limitations...".
    The irony is that of all of the Rambo films , Last Blood is the least political. This is a simply story of good guy(s) vs bad guys. Any politicization is projected by certain critics and viewers.
    talos7 wrote: »
    The irony is that of all of the Rambo films , Last Blood is the least political. This is a simply story of good guy(s) vs bad guys. Any politicization is projected by certain critics and viewers.

Least political? Any "coincidence" that the present POTUS considers Mexicans drug dealers & rapists? Sorry, Sly was great at times in his day, but he's lost his mind presently. If I was writing a story after Rambo came home, it'd be a story similar to First Blood, but where neoNazis were threatening his friends. In Rambo he tackled truth, in Last Blood he seems to be tackling rightie fantasies.
    Never has it been sad that ALL Mexicans are rapist, drug dealers and sex traffickers but all of that does exist significant amounts in Mexico, particularly the border towns. This has nothing to do with the current administration; the story was conceived over a decade ago,

And Neo Nazis ? That’s a leftist fantasy and validates what I’ve said, we are in a time when the only “ safe” villain these days are straight, white, conservative males.

This film has nothing to do with politics, right or left.
    CNN is no fan of the President; they know that sex trafficking is a huge problem along the border.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/07/28/us/migrant-deaths-and-human-trafficking-by-the-numbers/index.html
    And Neo Nazis ? That’s a leftist fantasy
    Who are the mass killers in the U.S. *Mic drop*
    Do your research pal, many are left leaning so pick up your ill informed Mic.

Do your research pal, many are left leaning so pick up your ill informed Mic.

Not saying there's no human trafficking through Mexico, just saying it's not that easy to nail down and identify as "THE" big problem. "THE" big problem is Trump. It's not a right or left thing, it's a fascism thing.
    Fascism???? You are blinded by your hatred of Trump.
    Again, the plot for this movie originated over a decade ago when President Obama was in office. Donald Trump was nowhere in the picture. I’ve seen this movie and politics has nothing to do with it.
    Rambo’s “ family”, including the girl he has to rescue, is Hispanic . This is not an anti-Mexican film.

Fascism???? You are blinded by your hatred of Trump.
    You are blinded by your not-hate of Trump. We should hate fascism. I'm out.
    You need to brush up on the definition of fascism.
    You need to brush up on the definition of fascism.

From an authoritarian perspective, fascism means less. It makes me sad that you side with the divider of families. Simplicity is comforting, but it's not accurate.
    You are beyond ignorant on the subject but too blinded by a prejudice to seek the facts,
    That is beyond sad . I’m done with this.
    One question @chrisisall generally speaking, where do you live?

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,387
    This 10-Minute Sequence Was Cut from ‘Rambo: Last Blood’ for Its Release in the US, UK and Canada
    SPOILERS
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3585147/10-minute-sequence-cut-rambo-last-blood-release-us-uk-canada/
    Interesting I expect this scene will be on the Bluray, it sounds good
    chrisisall wrote: »
    2) Rambo (Masterpiece)
    4) Rambo III

First Blood WAS a damn masterpiece... Rambo was unexpectedly excellent... parts 2 & 3 were enjoyable nonsense... Last Blood I might rent at some point (but probably not) as it seems like Sly trying too hard to be politically relevant or something.... "A man's got to know his limitations...".

I need to revisit the second and third films its been some time since I watched them properly, I always forget what happened in the third film though it never grabbed me when it was released. The stick fight is the first thing I tend to recall, though that's probably because of Hot Shots Part Deux
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 5,185
    This 10-Minute Sequence Was Cut from ‘Rambo: Last Blood’ for Its Release in the US, UK and Canada
    SPOILERS
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3585147/10-minute-sequence-cut-rambo-last-blood-release-us-uk-canada/
    Interesting I expect this scene will be on the Bluray, it sounds good

That scene was great! Wonder why they cut it. It helps a lot to ground the movie in reality from the start, and gives the audience a much better idea of what Rambo has been up to since coming home. Also it makes the whole damn film feel even more nihilistic than it already is. I suspect the nihilism is what put a lot of people off, more than any precieved politics (which i didn't see personally).

Maybe they wanted to have an extra scene for the blu ray release. Can't otherwise explain the last minute removal of such an important character moment. It would have greatly benefited the film (and in my case it did).