It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

I personally don't like this WC.

The knockout games are predictable and none of the teams played good football so far.

Boring stuff really.
  • All these early matches (1 pm local time for the first of each day) give us a hint of what the World Cup will be if it's played in summer in Qatar. It was close to 30° the last days in some stadiums, tempature taken in the shadows, not under the sun, where it was probably 35° ? It was less hot the week before, and the game were much spectacular.

We had two rounds of drink breaks in several matches, gee... Then football becomes a game of free kick and corners... Our French players even ended this decisive game without a single yellow card, and the Germans only had a few in the very end when blocking some counterattacks, there was not much energy left on the field at that temperature.

It's the World Cup of goalkeepers though, since the attackers of a bit slower than usual. Maybe Qatar will propose larger goals to have some goals between the four drink breaks :)
    So Neymar is out of the semifinal with a back injury. I can't help but think that his injury wouldn't be as bad if he just fell normally instead of launching himself theatrically into the air like a Dragonball Z character.

@parachute- it actually scares me thinking about the health of the players in Qatar. A lot.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Wow, lucky I didn't bet on Brazil - Colombia or France - Germany.
    I thought Colombia could finish the host nation. And France would beat Germany.

I'm picking Holland to beat Costa Rica, and Belgium to off Argentina.
    Love to see Belgium go all the way.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    jackdagger wrote:
    So Neymar is out of the semifinal with a back injury. I can't help but think that his injury wouldn't be as bad if he just fell normally instead of launching himself theatrically into the air like a Dragonball Z character.

Yeah, this was merely a friendly tap on the back.
    Neymar is probably faking an injury.

Talk about bias.

• edited July 2014 Posts: 7,653
    jackdagger wrote:

What a BS the man has a serious back injury by a player from Colombia that already should have been given a red card 1st half for a direct kick at a knee. This strike at Neymar is dark red and far more obscene as the attack by Suarez.

You sir know nothing about football as shown by your remark.

That said last nights game was less about football more about kicking the sh*t out of each other. The level of poor refereeing could be measured by the fact that both teams ended with 11 players.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, his injury was serious ... but I get what jackdagger was saying, and I didn't really sense any huge malicious intent in her remark.

And jackdagger isn't a "sir." She's a sister from Langley, too.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    jackdagger wrote:

@parachute- it actually scares me thinking about the health of the players in Qatar. A lot.

He's got a broken bone in his back after a Colombian rammed his knee into his spine.

Yeah, I can see how that's somehow Neymar's fault.

What a complete idiot you are.
    It's terrible that neymar is out of the world cup according to reports.
    He'll be missed by millions of supporters and viewers.

• edited July 2014 Posts: 498
    I'm sorry if I offended anyone. It's terrible he's actually hurt. But it's like The Boy Who Cried Wolf, you know? (the same goes for any player notorious for diving.)
    Now for something completely different. ESPN aired prior to the Brazil/Columbia match the Annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. What else is better than having the world's most prosperous nation demonstrate how insensitive we are to world hunger than have a contest of shoving hot dogs down your gullet. The winner pounded back 61 dogs w/buns in 10 minutes, not a record though. USA! USA!

Announcers during the Brazil match said that the 'referees didn't show up with their yellow cards'. It was awfully rough for both sides. But some of the players are so fast and so gifted with controlling the ball. It's been great.
  • RC7RC7
    Every time I see footage of the US fans chanting 'I believe that we will win', I keep thinking it's a Chris Morris prank.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 479
    This knockout stage has kind of ruined this World Cup. The Group Stage was great, and I think we all expected great things from this knockout stage, but it hasn't delivered. The football has been very poor, but most importantly, it has been so predictable it has become mundane. All 8 group winners won their round of 16 match, and it looks like all the teams that were favourites in the Quarter Finals are going to win. However though, this is what FIFA wants, Brazil and Argentina in the Final, and they'll get it somehow, even with Neymar out. It's a shame that perhaps the two teams that deserve to be in the final least out of the last 8, seem to have a good chance of getting there. A bad knockout stage has ruined the memory of this World Cup for me.

Well, Argentina have won. In all credit, it was fair and not controversial, but they don't deserve to even be at this stage. Much like Brazil in that respect. It's a shame that these two teams have got to this stage with such mundane football and awful play. I really hope Germany and Holland/Costa Rica give these two teams the thrashing they deserve, the biggest loser if Brazil and Argentina get to the final is football, one team that relies solely on one man for their success, and even then they still haven't played an exciting or beautiful brand of football. On the other hand, a team of divers, who have got the referees in their favour and love to kick the crap out of their opposition in order to win, whilst also playing a crappy brand of football.
    Two hours before our biggest match in history. I just hope I won't be too painful...
    "There never was much hope, just a fool's hope".
    0013 wrote:
    Two hours before our biggest match in history. I just hope I won't be too painful...
    "There never was much hope, just a fool's hope".

Oh, so you're a Costa Rican. I wish your team the best of luck, but I feel I must support the Netherlands. Hopefully it is a good game, as it is something this Knockout round has been lacking, but I would much rather the Oranje blew you out of the water. You understand.
    These have to be the four worst quarter finals in the history of the World Cup. It's been absolute rubbish ever since the group stages ended (other than the Brazil/Chile match and the extra time period between Belgium and USA).

There was a record amount of goals scored during the group rounds and this is now shaping up to be a record for the least amount of goals scored in the knockout stages.
    Oh, you lucky Costa Ricans.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Oh my goodness what a flurry towards the finish of the second half!!! And I'm breathless and only listening on radio, with live text.
    Good on you, Costa Rica - what an amazing keeper!
    Still rooting for The Netherlands, but I'm so impressed with C.R. throughout the cup. A lot of this match just boring, but it has so heated up now ... heading into extra time ...

comment on BBC text re C.R. -
    They are offering no attacking threat at all but they have Keylor Navas. :D
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2014 Posts: 2,629
    The mystery of Stonehenge will be solved before anyone can figure out how did the Dutch not score in the final few minutes of the second half.

Costa Rica is making CONCACAF proud.
    And since we are in OT, BBC does now show live coverage - woo hoo for me! :-bd
    Working so listening on talk sport, fancy Costa Rica if it goes to penalties. Sounds like it just is not going for the Dutch, credit to Costa Ricas defending.
    Costa Rican goalkeeper Navas is going to be making sweet love to the goalpost tonight.
    Oh my goodness, I am feeling the strain! On to penalties then ... with a new keeper for the Netherlands. Hmmm!

Such a performance by Costa Rica.
    Oh my heart is still for the Netherlands but this is difficult. I admire C.Rica's attitude. They were attacking towards the end, not just defending. All my nails are bitten to the quick ...
    I'm fairly certain bringing in a fresh goalkeeper for penalty kicks in somewhat unethical.

Costa Rica has nothing to be ashamed of.
    Oh my .... relief, joy, and still I am so proud of C. Rica - happy the Netherlands is through. Mix of emotions for sure!
    Costa Rica been a breath of fresh air this world cup. Holland were the better team, though need to vastly improve for the Argentines.
    C. Rica was exactly that! A breath of fresh air. So nice.
    I'm heading out now, but also hoping to pick up some Dutch cheese this afternoon to help me celebrate. :)>-
    Holland deserved that in the end. What a genius (or lucky b******) Van Gaal is. A very Krul exit for the CR's, but they can go home with their heads held high, I salute them for their courage, resolve and general good play that has seen them top a group with 3 former world champions and almost beat the mighty Oranje. They'll be heroes in their own country, but also of any football fan with a heart. Hopefully the Dutch can use this motivation to get past the Argies, but it's anyone's game right now. Holland-Germany is my prediction.
    Spend this weekend at a field hockey tournament and watched the game on big screen with 400 very enthusiastic girls/boys 12/13/14 and their coaches and when Kruls topped that 2nd penalty I am sure the neighborhood woke up if they were not still awake too.

The Dutch were very unlucky, there seemed to be an angel on the crossbar and the goalpost of CR, who never showed any intent to play football so I am not sure what their games plan was. Anybody who thinks that the Dutch did not deserve this win is very biased or Costa-Rican with no insight of the game at all.

1st half was awfull, 2nd half showed a shed load more action, and the extra-time was exciting too see for a neutral viewer and crazy for the Dutch fans as the ball did not seem to want to go in. The goalie was the luckiest man on the pitch as well very capable.

Van Gaal did once more do a crazy substitute and made history with a goalie who stopped CR twice and the players doing their stuff as they were meant to do, I do think if the keeper had caught Sneijders ball he would have been launched into the netting that pissed of was he because of all the just not moments in the match.

With Di Maria out with Argentina Messi has to do the job himself and I am curious I he can do that with clearly a very strong team spirit and effort of the Dutch.

A fun evening anyhow,
    Well, the boys gave everything they had on the field and they can come back home with pride. Football isn't everything, but sometimes it absorbs everything. We still are a small country with 20% poverty and growing inequality, but this World Cup has been a silver lining in our lives.
    SaintMark wrote:
    The Dutch were very unlucky, there seemed to be an angel on the crossbar and the goalpost of CR, who never showed any intent to play football so I am not sure what their games plan was. Anybody who thinks that the Dutch did not deserve this win is very biased or Costa-Rican with no insight of the game at all.

Football isn't about deserving scores, is about playing and winning. To be defensive is a legitimate strategy of playing football as valid as been offensive.
This discussion has been closed.