It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

@sammm04 Was thinking yesterday, I suspect Brazil vs Columbia will be game of the tournament. Fancy Columbia to cause a upset.

I too hope that Colombia win, then all the pundits will shut up about this overrated Brazil team.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am clearly the only broken record here.
    France have no one to blame for this shambles of a performance but themselves. Their passing in the final third was utterly diabolical, and the game itself was utterly crap.
    In the end, France succumbed easily to Germany without putting up much of a fight.

EDIT: Oh sorry, I thought this was the WW2 thread... ;-)
    Oh no, they're crying.
    Ouch guys. XD France did a good job. I think they might be a strong contender for the next Euro cup in France 2016.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    @sammm04 Was thinking yesterday, I suspect Brazil vs Columbia will be game of the tournament. Fancy Columbia to cause a upset.

I too hope that Colombia win, then all the pundits will shut up about this overrated Brazil team.

Yeah felt from what i have watched and listened to, been at times blatant biased towards some of big teams.

Felt it was easy for Germany against France.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    According to FIFA, David Luiz is currently the Player of the Tournament so far. :O
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 479
    Sammm04 wrote:

Yeah felt from what i have watched and listened to, been at times blatant biased towards some of big teams.

I've never got the bias towards the hosts in the media. Fair enough, it's a special event for them. But we're not from Brazil, I don't want all this propaganda about how Neymar is the greatest player to put on a Brazil shirt since Pele, how they're better than every other team in the competition, how all the commentators want Brazil to win, which is very biased considering they are supposed to be impartial. I get that it is special to host it, but there are 31 other teams in the competition, not just the host. Someone has to host it. I don't see how it makes them the best team in the tournament.
  • Merde! Is it just me or does anyone else think the German coach looks a bit like Thomas Newman!
    Tim Vickery on the BBC website certainly isn't biased towards this Brazil team:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28121729
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

I've never got the bias towards the hosts in the media. Fair enough, it's a special event for them. But we're not from Brazil, I don't want all this propaganda about how Neymar is the greatest player to put on a Brazil shirt since Pele, how they're better than every other team in the competition, how all the commentators want Brazil to win, which is very biased considering they are supposed to be impartial. I get that it is special to host it, but there are 31 other teams in the competition, not just the host. Someone has to host it. I don't see how it makes them the best team in the tournament.

Must admit its good when the host team stays in competition at least to this point, i would be very very surprised if Brazil won the world cup based on what i have seen so far.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Must admit its good when the host team stays in competition at least to this point, i would be very very surprised if Brazil won the world cup based on what i have seen so far.

Yeah, it's always good for the host to advance to the round of 16, but in my opinion, they don't HAVE to advance any further.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 132
    Merde! Is it just me or does anyone else think the German coach looks a bit like Thomas Newman!

For a (very brief) moment I actually thought it was him. Haha!
  • RC7RC7
    For once in my life I went into this supporting the French. Turns out when an Englishman supports you, you lose, whoever you are.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Good job Germany. I hope they are able to go all the way.
    Columbia have not got going, Brazil 1 up perfect start for them.

Yeah, but that was more Colombian error than Brazilian skill. Don't think that they've suddenly turned a corner now.

Sammm04 wrote:

Yeah, but that was more Colombian error than Brazilian skill. Don't think that they've suddenly turned a corner now.

Brazil are up for it, though agree not necessarily with quality. Brazil won't keep this frantic play up. Columbia Will get chances.
    Missed the earlier game but i see Germany are there again! We should take a serious look at their footballing structure and ethos if we ever want any kind of success internationally? However money dictates football here sadly.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Missed the earlier game but i see Germany are there again! We should take a serious look at their footballing structure and ethos if we ever want any kind of success internationally? However money dictates football here sadly.

For you Mr Rogue Agent, ze world cup is over! ;-)
    RogueAgent wrote:

For you Mr Rogue Agent, ze world cup is over! ;-)

It was over for me before it even started! :))
    Referee takes away a perfectly good Colombia goal. Then he gives a dodgy foul that leads to a David Luiz goal.
    Oh look, another two Brazilian players that should have received two straight reds.

What the hell was that dreg? That wasn't football. That game made me sick.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I am very sad Colombia did not make it. They played so wonderfully up to this point.
    James Rodriguez - what a great young player!

As far as the goal that was disallowed, it seemed to be the correct call.

Yes - the ref allowed far too much. More cards should have been given.

Sadly, Colombia just didn't score enough this game. Brazil was not great, not outstanding.
    Gonna go cry in my tea now a bit ...

I cannot cheer for Brazil this cup, no ...
  • RC7RC7
    Agreed @4EverBonded - I'm finding it very hard to support this Brazil side. How Fernandinho was still on the pitch is beyond me.

I cannot warm to them. I really can't. So much so, I'll be backing our old foes in the semi.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Germany-France was a bit of a yawner.

Brazil-Colombia was better. They were playing very aggressive the second half and the refs were losing control at points. Brazil resorted to its usual "gamesmanship".

Should be a really good semi-finals.
    The grasshopper on James Rodriguez had bat wings lol

I don't think this is the last we have seen of Colombia's Golden Generation. James and Radamel have many Copa America's and World Cup's left in them. I think they'll come back in 2018, having 4 years of betterment and will perform just as well or better than they did here.

• edited July 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Watch "Hey Luis Don't Bite Me (An Ode to Mr Suarez)" on YouTube - Hey Luis Don't Bite Me (An Ode to Mr Suarez):

This is rather good.

Just for fun click link below to see which world cup player you are, i got Pirlo though admittedly i have more pace than him.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/quiz/2014/jul/04/which-world-cup-2014-player-are-you
This discussion has been closed.