It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

France was not that impressive, or was it just me?
    SaintMark wrote:

No they weren't and at the moment, neither are Germany. Algeria much the better side so far.
    SaintMark wrote:

No they weren't and at the moment, neither are Germany. Algeria much the better side so far.

I am seeing it and slightly perplexed, I did expect more from both France & Germany.

I might revisit my view on the Dutch team if the favorites keep disappointing me.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Islam Slimani. What a player!

He is the perfect modern striker. Strong, good with the ball, quick, intelligent in his movement, a good header. I bet he will find a much better club after the World Cup. The Premier League would suit him brilliantly.
  • Not really a football fan, but I really want the Dutch team in the final. I will be on holiday in Amsterdam at the time when the final takes place. But I guess it will be a big party either way. Looking forward to it :D
    Just watched the games today. They were both a lot closer than I thought they'd be.

So far all the teams that have won the Round of 16 are the teams that finished first in their groups. Here's hoping the USA can break that streak tomorrow!
    jackdagger wrote:
    Just watched the games today. They were both a lot closer than I thought they'd be.

So far all the teams that have won the Round of 16 are the teams that finished first in their groups. Here's hoping the USA can break that streak tomorrow!

It would be great for the popularity of football in the US but I prefer to see our Belgian neighbors getting through.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 479
    I really want Switzerland to expose this overrated Argentina team today, and I want Belgium to beat the USA, which I think will set up an epic quarter final. Still a great chance the Oranje will make it to the final, I think they are better than all 4 teams they can face in the semi finals and Costa Rica should just run out of steam in this quarter match with the mighty Dutch.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Today is boycott Belgian waffles day.
    Kerim wrote:
    Today is boycott Belgian waffles day.

Now you are telling me, I just came back from Belgium and enjoyed me some. :!!
    And people thought Brazil were overrated, this Argentine team is clearly the most overrated team in the tournament.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    And people thought Brazil were overrated, this Argentine team is clearly the most overrated team in the tournament.

Agreed and what I feared may happen is happening. Teams are becoming very defensive and negative in their play and leading to very low scoring games.

No matter how good the group stages were, every World Cup is remembered for it's knockout rounds and so far it's been really quite forgettable.

A lot of pundits were getting carried out early by proclaiming this to be the best tournament in ages.
    Sammm04 wrote:

Agreed and what I feared may happen is happening. Teams are becoming very defensive and negative in their play and leading to very low scoring games.

No matter how good the group stages were, every World Cup is remembered for it's knockout rounds and so far it's been really quite forgettable.

A lot of pundits were getting carried out early by proclaiming this to be the best tournament in ages.

One problem is the very unvaried scorelines. It's either been 2-0, 0-0, 1-1 or 2-1. There's no 3-3 or 3-2. I always say that one favourite goes out during the Round of 16, and today it looks like it might be Argentina (Hopefully anyway). Hopefully there is more drama and great football in the quarters but I think the problem is that teams play not to lose in the round of 16, they don't play to win, as the round of 16 is either:

Not good enough (Brazil, Germany, Italy) or

Better than expected or just good enough (Costa Rica, Greece, Mexico)

• edited July 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Argentina's movement with and without the ball is pure nonsense. They are the least unified team in the World Cup by far. Without the ball six players are standing deep while the attacking four stands around doing nothing. With the ball three players are standing still in tight to the back four, while Messi is expected to create fireworks on his own. This team looks like they play in the stone age tactic wise while the rest of the world has moved on to organized pressing and collective movement.

I thought Argentina would improve in the knockout stages and learn to work together. But this is just getting worse. Only one player can save them if they keep on like this...
    jobo wrote:
    Argentina's movement with and without the ball is pure nonsense. They are the least unified team in the World Cup by far. Without the ball six players are standing deep while the attacking four stands around doing nothing. With the ball three players are standing still in tight to the back four, while Messi is expected to create fireworks on his own. This team looks like they play in the stone age tactic wise while the rest of the world has moved on to organized pressing and collective movement.

I thought Argentina would improve in the knockout stages and learn to work together. But this is just getting worse. Only one player can save them if they keep on like this...

You've finally seen the light then my friend?

Di Maria's attempt at a cross by showboating was an utter disgrace. I'd have subbed him immediately if I was the coach.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    jobo wrote:

You've finally seen the light then my friend?

I have seen that Argentina has not improved as I thought they would. This lack of movement is nothing new, but I thought they only needed time to adapt and settle together. Turns out they're not even interested after all...

Di Maria's attempt at a cross by showboating was an utter disgrace. I'd have subbed him immediately if I was the coach.

We have seen long ago that Sabella is not interested in making substitutions... or indeed do any kind of coaching at all. It's apparant he's sent them on field letting the players take care of themselves, without any real instruction or organized plan.
    jobo wrote:

We have seen long ago that Sabella is not interested in making substitutions... or indeed do any kind of coaching at all. It's apparant he's sent them on field letting the players take care of themselves, without any real instruction or organized plan.

Hence the reason Messi has to salvage this ordinary teams chances in every game.

Don't believe Di Maria has scored!! He's been utter rubbish all game. I've watched two hours of crap football but thought at least I had the excitement of a penalty shootout to look forward to.

I feel cheated now! ;-)
    Sammm04 wrote:
    jobo wrote:

Hence the reason Messi has to salvage this ordinary teams chances in every game.

And now he's done it again ;)

The frustrating thing is how brilliant they potentially can be if they just put in a minor effort to work together.
    Pathetic. Didn't deserve to win that game. I really hope Belgium or USA give this team the comeuppance that they've deserved for the entire tournament. Teams that steal matches from equally deserving teams in the dying minutes rarely ever capture the hearts of anyone. If anything it is the worst way to win.
    Even defending the lead in the dying minutes, four (!!) Argentine players are standing by the halfway line watching the "back six" work their asses off... ~X( :-t

And they expect to win the World Cup that way. 8-} What a waste of extraordinary talent. X_X

Someone should pick those players up and shake them... and Sabella too...
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Pathetic. Didn't deserve to win that game. I really hope Belgium or USA give this team the comeuppance that they've deserved for the entire tournament. Teams that steal matches from equally deserving teams in the dying minutes rarely ever capture the hearts of anyone. If anything it is the worst way to win.

To say they didnæt deserve the win is still an exaggeration though... They were frustrating to watch, but still the better side overall...
    jobo wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

To say they didnæt deserve the win is still an exaggeration though... They were frustrating to watch, but still the better side overall...

Well, they weren't. Switzerland were by far the better side, possession stats mean practically nothing in football, they were superior to Argentina in almost every way, but the jammy Argentinians decided to steal one away from a team that deserved to win more than they did... again. Can't wait for this team to be exposed by Belgium or America.

Sammm04 wrote:
    Switzerland were by far the better side, possession stats mean practically nothing in football, they were superior to Argentina in almost every way

Hm, is that so? ;)

These are the official match stats from The Guardian:

Argentina - Switzerland

Goal attempts: 24 - 14
    On Target: 13 - 5
    Off target: 11 - 9
    Corners: 13 - 5

http://www.theguardian.com/football/match/2014/jul/01/argentina-v-switzerland

The numbers speak for themselves. Argentina were the better side overall...

The fact that you expect more from the favourite doesn't make everything the underdog does treble in importance. Switzerland ran more and were more organized. That's basically it...
    jobo wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Switzerland were by far the better side, possession stats mean practically nothing in football, they were superior to Argentina in almost every way

Hm, is that so? ;)

These are the official match stats from The Guardian:

Argentina - Switzerland

Goal attempts: 24 - 14
    On Target: 13 - 5
    Off target: 11 - 9
    Corners: 13 - 5

http://www.theguardian.com/football/match/2014/jul/01/argentina-v-switzerland

The numbers speak for themselves. Argentina were the better side overall...

The fact that you support the underdog doesn't make everything the underdog does treble in importance. Switzerland ran more and were more organized. That's basically it...

You're right, the numbers don't lie. But they also don't tell even a fraction of the story. If stats meant anything, then Roberto Soldado has had a brilliant first season at Tottenham. But he hasn't. but the stats, if, like you, take them as gospel, would have you think just that. Argentina were lucky that Drmic made the worst shot on goal EVER (and I mean that literally), otherwise that game would have been over at 90 minutes. Also, do those stats not show a brutal inefficiency on Argentina's part, rather than a technical superiority.

**== **== **== !!!GO TEAM USA!!!! **== **== **==
    Also, does anyone find it depressing that all 7 group winners have gone through so far? Does take away some element of surprise. I don't want that to change in this game though, as I have for a long time disagreed with US politics and government (Don't worry Americans, I like your culture and people). Les Diables Rouges!
    How gutting for Switzerland hitting the post like that in the final seconds of the match! Have to say i am enjoying this very open game between the USA and Belgium! :-bd
This discussion has been closed.