Chiwetel Ejiofor tops EON's list for new Bond villain!

Comments

doubleoego wrote:
    I think many of you are putting too much stock in EoN adhering to Fleming so closely. Where Blofeld is from and what his race is is of no consequence. They could make him Indian, Japanese, Somalian or Congolese. Sure, ideally he'd be as Fleming originally made him but realistically it's not important in the grand scheme of things. It's all about the excellent execution of delivering on character. Blofeld is generally an unknown to obscure character; he can be realised in a variety of different ways.

There are worse things to do than trying to be faithful to the source material. And the origins of Blofeld, his background, are very important. Not only ideally, realistically too: a man named Blofeld is very unlikely to be from Somalia or India. Blofeld is more, should be more than a name.

And, to get back on topic, we are getting ahead of ourselves: Chiwetel Ejiofor has not been cast yet, and nothing tells is that he'll play Blofeld.
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Why's this turned into a Blofeld thread?

Because people suggested Ejiofor as Blofeld.

Do people know my mom has had an audition for the role of the villain? She will be thrilled if she gets to be Blofeld!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Do people know my mom has had an audition for the role of the villain? She will be thrilled if she gets to be Blofeld!

Is your mum Helen Mirren?

No seriously, Ejiofor is not even cast yet. If he is, we don't know what kind of villain he will play. Will he be Grant-like? That would be nice. Or maybe like Scaramanga. or maybe he is, like Largo and Greene, a field commander. That is, if he is cast.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

How original.
    Ludovico wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

No seriously, Ejiofor is not even cast yet. If he is, we don't know what kind of villain he will play. Will he be Grant-like? That would be nice. Or maybe like Scaramanga. or maybe he is, like Largo and Greene, a field commander. That is, if he is cast.

:)) Now that would be a claim to fame!

Whoever is eventually cast they will be a new villain, and not somebody we have seen before.
    RC7 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

How original.
    Very novel must get the idea in front of the producers before Christmas.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

:)) Now that would be a claim to fame!

Whoever is eventually cast they will be a new villain, and not somebody we have seen before.

Well, we don't know. It depends of who is cast.
    doubleoego wrote:
    I think many of you are putting too much stock in EoN adhering to Fleming so closely. Where Blofeld is from and what his race is is of no consequence. They could make him Indian, Japanese, Somalian or Congolese. Sure, ideally he'd be as Fleming originally made him but realistically it's not important in the grand scheme of things. It's all about the excellent execution of delivering on character. Blofeld is generally an unknown to obscure character; he can be realised in a variety of different ways.

And that is the easiest thing in the world to do, so therefore no reason whatsoever to transmogrify the character. Unless, that is, one has an arriere pensee.
    doubleoego wrote:

And that is the easiest thing in the world to do, so therefore no reason whatsoever to transmogrify the character. Unless, that is, one has an arriere pensee.

Not only is it the easiest thing to do, it is the smart thing to do. Blofeld is not just a name. It is funny people mention that he could be done in "a variety of different ways" but using nothing from the source material but the name is not a different way, it is a different character altogether with nothing from the source material. Instead of Blofeld being the anti-Bond, he becomes the anti-Blofeld.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Not only is it the easiest thing to do, it is the smart thing to do. Blofeld is not just a name. It is funny people mention that he could be done in "a variety of different ways" but using nothing from the source material but the name is not a different way, it is a different character altogether with nothing from the source material. Instead of Blofeld being the anti-Bond, he becomes the anti-Blofeld.

Indeed, very much seconded, @Ludovico. If they can't bring him back as faithful to Fleming then don't let's bring him back at all I say!
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2014 Posts: 10,512
    This topic has gone wildly off track. I wonder if this would've happened if a white guy had been rumoured? I suggest people relax and wait to see where this takes us, rather than immediately jumping to Blofeld-shaped conclusions.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Blofeld is lame. There I said it. :))

New fresh villains please.
    Murdock wrote:

It needed to be said. The book Blofelds are a different matter in my view.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited April 2014 Posts: 11,139
    Ludovico wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Bond himself in the movies is largely Bond in name only when compared to the literary character. At the end of the day my point was mainly about the characterisation being realised more than anything, taking precedent over what colour his skin is or which country he comes from. Mikkelsen doesn't fit the description of Le Chiffre from the novel and that was obviously as everyone keeps pointing out a major travesty and really brought the movie down. I mean seriously, EoN got the rights to CR a few years prior and they had the opportunity to really bring CR to life and what do they do? They cast a 5ft something blond Bond, an Italian Mathis, a French actress as Vesper who's boyfriend is a French Algerian as opposed to being Polish and of course, there's Mikkelsen, as I mentioned before, a far cry from the description of Le Chiffre as written in the novel. Blofeld can indeed be realised effectively in a variety of ways and the series has proved this with numerous characters including Bond himself. Blofeld has to be Polish? Well, no, he really doesn't.
    Murdock wrote:

You are spot on and I agree with you 100%.

Forget about Blofeld!
    There I've said it.

Blofeld was fine in the 60's but after DAF, we were through with him for all time. That PTS of FYEO showed that guy but I think that was Cubby's way of giving the middle finger to McClory.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Bond himself in the movies is largely Bond in name only when compared to the literary character. At the end of the day my point was mainly about the characterisation being realised more than anything, taking precedent over what colour his skin is or which country he comes from. Mikkelsen doesn't fit the description of Le Chiffre from the novel and that was obviously as everyone keeps pointing out a major travesty and really brought the movie down. I mean seriously, EoN got the rights to CR a few years prior and they had the opportunity to really bring CR to life and what do they do? They cast a 5ft something blond Bond, an Italian Mathis, a French actress as Vesper who's boyfriend is a French Algerian as opposed to being Polish and of course, there's Mikkelsen, as I mentioned before, a far cry from the description of Le Chiffre as written in the novel. Blofeld can indeed be realised effectively in a variety of ways and the series has proved this with numerous characters including Bond himself. Blofeld has to be Polish? Well, no, he really doesn't.

But at the core Le Chiffre was the same: a physically impotent man, with similar origins too (from Albania rather than Montenegro, but still). Of course the physique was different, but Fleming's villains have near impossible physique to find. Mathis is played by an Italian but he is French. Turning Blofeld into a young, fit black man would be a huge departure, far more than having Le Chiffre not as fat as in the novel. As for your comments about Bond, they are non sequitur: even Moore was in some aspects and appearance similar to Fleming's Bond. And he is still British!
    Birdleson wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

On top of that (and not suggesting that EON would go this route), Blofeld was a physical chameleon in the novels.

Not to this extend he wasn't. In fact even when he changed appearances, there were still parts of him that looked the same, that remained unchanged.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    Birdleson wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

On top of that (and not suggesting that EON would go this route), Blofeld was a physical chameleon in the novels.

Not to this extend he wasn't. In fact even when he changed appearances, there were still parts of him that looked the same, that remained unchanged.

Ejiofor hasn't been cast as Blofeld. Chances are, if and that's a very big if, he is in line to play the villain, I would say it's 99.9% certain it will be an original character. As for the ongoing Blofeld claptrap, I would agree with the @doubleoego and @Birdleson.
    I agree that if he is cast it is very likely to be as an original character. As for Blofeld, I'm a Fleming purist. Why just use the name?
    I think who ever it is? Some people will still say is he going to be Blofeld? Assuming it is a man of course!
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

You are spot on and I agree with you 100%.

Forget about Blofeld!
    There I've said it.

Blofeld was fine in the 60's but after DAF, we were through with him for all time. That PTS of FYEO showed that guy but I think that was Cubby's way of giving the middle finger to McClory.

I tend to agree with you.
    RC7 wrote:
    This topic has gone wildly off track. I wonder if this would've happened if a white guy had been rumoured? I suggest people relax and wait to see where this takes us, rather than immediately jumping to Blofeld-shaped conclusions.

If a white actor had been rumored, particularly a middle or Eastern European older than DC, then there would be no issue.

doubleoego wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:

Re: LeChiffre, your criticism is more of CR's plot than the casting of Mikkelsen. In point of fact, Mikkelsen looks credibly like what we would imagine Fleming's LeChiffre to look like, and his mannerisms are very much in keeping with the literary figure. As to so-called "skin color," this is hardly an incidental thing; contrariwise, it is very important. Bond is white. Blofeld is white. End of story. We've already had a black Moneypenny and a black Leiter--isn't that enough? Stupid question, because it is never enough.

RogueAgent wrote:
    I think who ever it is? Some people will still say is he going to be Blofeld? Assuming it is a man of course!

As we've already seen, at least one person would be fine with literally feminizing Blofeld.

RogueAgent wrote:

As we've already seen, at least one person would be fine with literally feminizing Blofeld.

Dear, dear. I've seen it all now!
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2014 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote:

If a white actor had been rumored, particularly a middle or Eastern European older than DC, then there would be no issue.

But he's not playing Blofeld, so I don't understand the hoohah.
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Probably not, but we shall see.

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Probably not, but we shall see.

Let's hope he's not. I don't think I could stand the backlash.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think Blofeld returning is a possibility and I'd be fine with Efijor playing him but I don't see why we're discussing this now. They have the rights back but it's way too early to say he'll be playing Blofeld (has his casting even been confirmed yet?). Let's just wait and see.
    I think people are mentioning Blofeld a lot because EON now has the full rights to the character. So why wouldn't they bring him back at some point?

I am happy if Blofeld does not return or they at least do a creative twist. Maybe Evangeline Stephanie Blofeld Murdock as the main villain ... ? Played by Helen Mirren and not revealed until near the end (when Eve or someone learns her maiden name), but her head henchman - acting as the main villain for most of the film - being played by Ejiofor. Just a thought. I don't want the same old bald, boring Blofeld coming to us.

Then you don't want Blofeld, because that's who he is. I'd add that he's a white European who is older than Bond as well.

Aren't you a big DAF fan?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Even if an actress is put forward, it seems many people think Ernestina Blofeld is the way to go.