Chiwetel Ejiofor tops EON's list for new Bond villain!

Comments

I think Ejiofor would be a brilliant choice if possible for the main villain? If it does happen then how about Idris Elba as his bad ass henchman?!!! What a combo that would be!!!! :-bd
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I think Ejiofor would be a brilliant choice if possible for the main villain? If it does happen then how about Idris Elba as his bad ass henchman?!!! What a combo that would be!!!! :-bd

Indeed.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If you haven't seen his work, where do you
    If you haven't seen his work, where do you draw your skepticism from?
    Ludovico wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    If you haven't seen his work, where do you draw

His age. His rather pleasant face, although good makeup could change that.

Then I strongly suggest you watch some if the movies he's been in. Children of men, serenity, 12 years a slave just to name a few. Like I said in the other thread, Chi's gravitas as a great actor and his physical presence transcends such concerns.

If you haven't seen his work, where do you draw your skepticism from?
    Ludovico wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    If you haven't seen his work, where do you draw

His age. His rather pleasant face, although good makeup could change that.

Then I strongly suggest you watch some if the movies he's been in. Children of men, serenity, 12 years a slave just to name a few. Like I said in the other thread, Chi's gravitas as a great actor and his physical presence transcends such concerns.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think people are mentioning Blofeld a lot because EON now has the full rights to the character. So why wouldn't they bring him back at some point?

I am happy if Blofeld does not return or they at least do a creative twist. Maybe Evangeline Stephanie Blofeld Murdock as the main villain ... ? Played by Helen Mirren and not revealed until near the end (when Eve or someone learns her maiden name), but her head henchman - acting as the main villain for most of the film - being played by Ejiofor. Just a thought. I don't want the same old bald, boring Blofeld coming to us.
    Chiwetel for Blofeld!
  • Where's the "Would you accept a black Blofeld" thread ? :)
  • RC7RC7
    Maybe he'll simply play an English villain, him being English and all.

Great rumour, always nice to see a good actor on the EON radar. For those judging him already, open your mind.
    RogueAgent wrote:

I'd rather have it the other way round. And actually, as I know Elba's work more, for the moment, I'd rather see Idris Elba. Because a villain played by Elba would not really need a muscleman henchman.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 14,958
    I think people are mentioning Blofeld a lot because EON now has the full rights to the character. So why wouldn't they bring him back at some point?

I am happy if Blofeld does not return or they at least do a creative twist. Maybe Evangeline Stephanie Blofeld Murdock as the main villain ... ? Played by Helen Mirren and not revealed until near the end (when Eve or someone learns her maiden name), but her head henchman - acting as the main villain for most of the film - being played by Ejiofor. Just a thought. I don't want the same old bald, boring Blofeld coming to us.

I don't want the bald Blofeld anymore... but what you describe is exactly like TWINE and The Dark Knight Rises. AND if I am against a black Blofeld, I am even more against a female Blofeld. What's the point in that twist? It's not like we can just give the name Blofeld to any villain, regardless of his or her gender, age and appearance.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,354
    This best thing about the news of the Bond girl screen tests is EON are getting serious with casting early on. This can hopefully mean things are in an all-round great shape.

Then you don't want Blofeld, because that's who he is. I'd add that he's a white European who is older than Bond as well.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Then you don't want Blofeld, because that's who he is. I'd add that he's a white European who is older than Bond as well.

As far as I remember, he wasn't bald in the books - at least, I'm 100% sure he wasn't in OHMSS, but I can't remember about Thunderball and YOLT.

Therefore, bald Blofeld is the wrong one.
    Walecs wrote:

As far as I remember, he wasn't bald in the books - at least, I'm 100% sure he wasn't in OHMSS, but I can't remember about Thunderball and YOLT.

Yes, you are right. Dr. No was bald, though as was Sluggsy Morant from TSWLM.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Couldn t this go in the hair thread?
    Couldn t this go in the hair thread?

Is there one?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am pretty sure I have seen one earlier.
    I am pretty sure I have seen one earlier.

Keep your hair on, I'll have a look! :D

Well, he wasn't bald except in YOLT, but otherwise yes, Blofeld should be this distorted father figure, older than Bond and very seasoned. When the novel TB takes place, he has been around for what? 30 years? And he has to be someone who could reasonably pass as the last descendent of an old French aristocratic family. Heck, Blofeld is not merely a white European, he is an Eastern European, from bleeding Poland, not a country who is famous to its ethnical diversity, especially not fifty years ago!

And is it only me or are people seem to be only interested about the name Blofeld, without caring one bit about the character and who would fit the bill?
    Ludovico wrote:

Well, he wasn't bald except in YOLT, but otherwise yes, Blofeld should be this distorted father figure, older than Bond and very seasoned. When the novel TB takes place, he has been around for what? 30 years? And he has to be someone who could reasonably pass as the last descendent of an old French aristocratic family. Heck, Blofeld is not merely a white European, he is an Eastern European, from bleeding Poland, not a country who is famous to its ethnical diversity, especially not fifty years ago!

And is it only me or are people seem to be only interested about the name Blofeld, without caring one bit about the character and who would fit the bill?

Blofeld was never bald in the novels that I recall. And yes, the film Blofelds have removed all that was interesting and distinctive and made him into a caricature of an evil mastermind (Telly Savalas in OHMSS aside).
    Yes my mistake, he was not even bald in YOLT, but he did change his appearance. Not to the point of turning black though. I think his appearance should be akin to one of the novels, if he is ever to show up again. I am warming up to the idea of Chiwetel Ejiofor as a villain, if he can play and look mature. But he is no Blofeld.
    Walecs wrote:

A minor detail. Personally, I don't give a dam' whether he's bald or not. Hardly prerequisite.

Walecs wrote:

A minor detail. Personally, I don't give a dam' whether he's bald or not. Hardly prerequisite.

I'd rather have him not bald to distance him from his previous movie incarnations. But if he ver shows up again in the movies, let's make him close to the novels'!
    Ludovico wrote:

Precisely. This isn't about Blofeld per se at all but about a subversive agenda.

Ludovico wrote:

Precisely. This isn't about Blofeld per se at all but about a subversive agenda.

And it is not a race issue: people mentioned Benedict Cumberbatch as Blofeld too. Why, why, why? Cumberbatch is way too young, too British and he simply does not look like Blofeld. In Star Trek, however good he was as a psycho, he was nothing like Khan should have been. And people just bring forward the most unfit actor for Blofeld: Leonardo di Caprio (what?), Colin Farrell, Bruce Willis, heck, even Helen Mirren was mentioned! It seems that the only prerequisite to play Blofeld is having play a villain once, and/or being bald.
  • RC7RC7
    Why's this turned into a Blofeld thread?
    Ludovico wrote:
    Walecs wrote:

I'd rather have him not bald to distance him from his previous movie incarnations. But if he ever shows up again in the movies, let's make him close to the novels'!

Here, here, sir!
    I think many of you are putting too much stock in EoN adhering to Fleming so closely. Where Blofeld is from and what his race is is of no consequence. They could make him Indian, Japanese, Somalian or Congolese. Sure, ideally he'd be as Fleming originally made him but realistically it's not important in the grand scheme of things. It's all about the excellent execution of delivering on character. Blofeld is generally an unknown to obscure character; he can be realised in a variety of different ways.
    RC7 wrote:
    Why's this turned into a Blofeld thread?

Because people suggested Ejiofor as Blofeld.