So you want to start a new Elimination game?

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    That's a good 'un @May
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @QBranch, thanks for putting that list together! As @MayDayDiVicenzo mentioned, you should add one for stunts and put him down for mentioning it. I love the idea. If you don't mind, put me down for one focusing on Bond's Attire.
    Has anyone suggested a 'Best Villain's Death' game yet?
    Has anyone suggested a 'Best Villain's Death' game yet?

It doesn't appear so! We should put that one down from you, as well, that would be very entertaining.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,935
    Elimination Games For:

Henchmen - votes (Mentioned by @SuperheroSith)
    Villain's Weapons - votes (Mentioned by @barryt007)
    Gadgets - votes (Mentioned by @QBranch)
    PTSs - votes (Mentioned by @Thunderfinger)
    Bond Cars - votes (Mentioned by @QBranch)
    Main Titles - votes (Mentioned by @Benny)
    Main Posters - votes (Mentioned by @Benny)
    Video Games - votes (Mentioned by @Risico007)[/quote]
    Soundtracks - votes (Mentioned by @StirredNotShaken)
    Composers - votes (Mentioned by @StirredNotShaken)
    Directors - votes (Mentioned by @StirredNotShaken)
    Allies - votes (Mentioned by @StirredNotShaken)
    Novels - votes (Mentioned by @StirredNotShaken)
    Felix Leiters - votes (Mentioned by @StirredNotShaken)
    Actor Elements - votes (Mentioned by @sirseanisbond)
    Film Finales - votes (Mentioned by @Creasy47)
    Ms - votes (Mentioned by @Soundofthesinners)
    Moneypennies - votes (Mentioned by @Soundofthesinners)
    Set Designs - votes (Mentioned by @royale65)
    Best Stunt - votes (Mentioned by @MayDayDiVicenzo)
    Best Bond Attire - votes (Mentioned by @Creasy47)
    Villain's Death - votes (Mentioned by @WillyGalore)
    Gun Barrels - votes (Mentioned by @Soundofthesinners)
    Secondary Bond Girl - votes (Mentioned by @timmer)
    There's some great games in that bunch...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Hey, when/if the greatest PTS game happens, will it include Dr. No, which had no PTS?
    I suppose it would be up to @Thunderfinger to decide, but if it is about PTS's, then it looks like we would be voting on FRWL - SF.
    DN's PTS was the gun barrel ;)
  • QBranch wrote:
    DN's PTS was the gun barrel ;)

On that note, how about a greatest gunbarrel tournament? We'd have Connery's two, Lazenby's, Moore's two, Dalton's, Brosnan's, and...I don't really know what to do about Craig.
    @Soundofthesinners, we could, I just think that would be tough to vote on, as in the end, most of them are fairly identical, only varying by actor and a few little things. Craig had the gunbarrel during the PTS in CR and the one in the finale of QoS and SF.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,935
    You would have to separate them all:

Simmons
    Connery
    Lazenby
    Moore 1
    Moore 2
    Dalton
    Brosnan
    Brosnan (bullet)
    Craig CR
    Craig QOS
    Craig SF

More discussion on the differing sequences in this thread :

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/200/rank-the-differing-gunbarrel-sequences-from-best-to-worst/p1
  • @QBranch: That's just about how it would look, although we might even have to include a fourth one for Craig if this game takes long enough.

@Creasy, fair point, but there are enough subtle differences in the frame and poses to make a difference. It could be a fun game if done well, plus the potential for Brosnan to actually do well!
    @Creasy, fair point, but there are enough subtle differences in the frame and poses to make a difference. It could be a fun game if done well, plus the potential for Brosnan to actually do well!

That would be a nice change of pace! I'm all for that. ;-) let's throw it in with all the others.
    Out of curiosity, how did I get chosen to lead the song game? Was it just out of having suggested it? If that's the case, I recommended about ten or twelve I think. I'd feel selfish helming twelve, especially because I only recommended so many because A: it was what everyone was thinking and B: it'd be more economic to have one bulk post than twelve different ones. If one of my ideas comes up again, would it be possible for me to nominate a gamerunner or for there to be a vote, etc.? I just don't want to Bogart the elimination games, haha
    I think it should be like the interview thread: everyone gets to go at least once. I say if you've done one already, and another idea of yours is nominated for the next game, you should find someone that hasn't hosted one (and wouldn't mind doing it) to take over so everybody gets a chance.
    @StirredNotShaken I'm sure you'd be allowed to nominate who you wish, or perhaps the first member who votes for your suggestion.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I officially submit for elimination-game consideration, best secondary Bond Girl for each film. Voting purely on hubba hubba factor is perfectly acceptable.
    Here is the list. With some movie choices, selection is not super obvious, with others its quite obvious.
    Did my best to pick the most prominent girl beyond the main-squeeze finisher, who is clearly identifed in each film, but for SF.
    1. Zena Marshall as Taro
    2. Eunice Gayson as Sylvia Trench
    3. Shirley Eaton as Jill Masterson
    4. Luciana Paluzzi as Fiona
    5. Akiko Wakabayashi as Aki
    6. Angela Scoular as Ruby
    7. Lana Wood as Plenty O'Toole
    8. Gloria Hendry as Rosie Carver
    9. Maud Adams as Andrea
    10. Caroline Munro as Naiomi
    11. Corrine Cleary as Corrine Dufour
    12. Cassandra Harris as Lisl
    13. Kristina Wayborn as Magda
    14. Grace Jones as Mayday
    15. Kell Tyler as Linda, yacht girl
    16. Talisa Soto as Lupe
    17. Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp
    18. Teri Hatcher as Paris Carver
    19. Sophie Marceau as Elektra King
    20. Rosamund Pike as Miranda Frost
    21. Caterina Murino as Solange
    22. Gemma Arterton as Fields
    23. Naomi Harris as Eve
    :x :x :x
    @timmer, that list looks good, but I would say instead of MP for SF, you should go with the girl in the shack that Bond is with for that brief period of time.
    According to the SF credits, she is referred to as 'Bond's Lover'.
    QBranch wrote:
    According to the SF credits, she is referred to as 'Bond's Lover'.

Yeah, I just noticed that when I looked it up on IMDB. After I posted it, I could've swore she had a name in the script, but apparently not.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @timmer, that list looks good, but I would say instead of MP for SF, you should go with the girl in the shack that Bond is with for that brief period of time.

I'd actually choose Severine. I don't know why she was in the other game, as she is a much more secondary Bond girl than a main one.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I put her in there because she's the only girl in SF that has a backstory, dialogue, is pivotal to the plot, and Bond beds. I would never consider Eve or MP to be a Bond girl, and Bond's lover after the PTS seems very secondary to me, as she doesn't receive a bit of dialogue or even a name.
    I would consider Eve the #2 Bond-girl after Severine, who granted really isn't a #1 either but I think she is #1 moreso than Eve. So if SF is to have a lead Bond-girl, even it's one that disappears very early, I think it has to be Severine. She is as close as we get. Basically in SF, Dench supplants the role usually reserved for a finishing Bond girl.
    Eve I consider a Bond girl, as she is not revealed to be MP until the end of the film. She doesn't play the traditional MP role. Rather she has Bond girl profile. She's got good looks, which is really the main qualification for Bond-girl status, for girls that interact with Bond in any given film.
    Bond dallies with her, hits on her, treats her like a Bond-girl.
    Tonia Sotiropoulou as Bond's Lover. I give her #3 Bond-girl status in this film. She reminds of other memorable third tier Bond girls such as Sue Vanner as Log Cabin Girl in TSWLM or Nadja Regin as Bonita in GF pts or even Tsai Chin as Ling in YOLT, but each of those three I'd say are far more memorable.
    As third tier Bond girls go, Sotiropolou was given very little profile or presence.
    btw even in the list I made, I'd consider Tyler as Linda in TLD to be third tier, but as she's as close as we get really to a #2, in the great Bond-Kara adventure romance that is TLD, she'll have to do.
    Btw, I can't really easily split between 3rd and 4th tier. Maybe if we really thought about it, we could come up with two distinct groups, differentiated possibly by scraps of dialogue or general screen presence.
    Some of the Drax girls, and certainly the Angels of Death, are rather memorable, even if they barely make an audible peep.
    Most of the Angels of Death were at least required to exercise facial expression muscles though, and some arguably delivered more inspired performances than say Bach. :P
    I was watching DAD on Sunday. So, hows about the most cringe-worthy moments of Bond, be it actors, special effects, sound effects or action scenes?
    royale65 wrote:
    I was watching DAD on Sunday. So, hows about the most cringe-worthy moments of Bond, be it actors, special effects, sound effects or action scenes?

So you're telling me that you want to make an elimination game where DAD wins?! ;-)
    It'll be a close run thing with DAF ;-)
  • royale65 wrote:
    It'll be a close run thing with DAF ;-)

And let's not forget the slide whistle!
    Slide whistle and Beach Boys interlude win hands down!
    My young self, upon first viewing, almost walked out of AVTAK, when the California Girls up and appeared out of nowhere in the pts, and I had really been enjoying the pts to that point. Ugh and it wasn't even the Beach Boys performing. It was a crappy cover by "Gidea Park." Exactly, Who?
    At least DAD used the original Clash version for London Calling, and didn't let it interrupt the tension of an action sequence.
    The Rog era sure did test a Bond fans patience at times. Shudder.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,473
    The Beach Boys totally don't belong in a Bond movie, but it always puts a smile on my face when Bond is fleeing and that tune kicks on, cover or not. I don't know why. *shrugs*