Revolution Against Bourne! Who wants classic Bond back?!!

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Is there such thing as 'Classic Bond'? Or is it a reference to the pre-[official] reboot timeline?
    A classic bond is one where he is equally at home with the working man and a countess. He lives every day as if it may be his last, and is resigned to the fact that he will be dead by 45.

Because of this he indulges his passions for fast cars, beautiful women, wine, cuisine and travel.

It takes more than fiddling with cuff links to do this.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    A classic bond is one where he is equally at home with the working man and a countess. He lives every day as if it may be his last, and is resigned to the fact that he will be dead by 45.

Because of this he indulges his passions for fast cars, beautiful women, wine, cuisine and travel.

Sounds like the last 24 Bond movies.

So every Bond film then.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

That's one shebang of a franchise!
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    SP is the closest we've come to "classic Bond".

The first half of the film I mostly found compelling. It had a sense of fun and also put a darker spin on the "villains meeting". However, I wasn't so fond of the films final act. It seemed to almost run out of steam and the attempts to channel Bond of old felt more and more obvious.

I love the fact that SP embraces the classic Bond formula to the extent, it gets more watchable with each viewing. Of all the Craig Bonds, SP is the one I predict to be the one that in 10 years times, holds up the best as a "Bond" movie.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love the fact that SP embraces the classic Bond formula to the extent, it gets more watchable with each viewing. Of all the Craig Bonds, SP is the one I predict to be the one that in 10 years times, holds up the best as a "Bond" movie.

Absolutely agree!!

And SF will be seen as the endless bore it is.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Absolutely agree!!

And SF will be seen as the endless bore it is.

Although I have friends who name SF as their #1 Bond film, Mendes placing the gunbarrel at the end automatically excludes it from being one of my favorites. If I want to watch a Bond film that doesn't have the opening GB, I'm far more happy to pop in NSNA.....as it should have remained the ONLY Bond without it IMO.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

This is my issue with the term "classic Bond". It's far too vague and subjective.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Classic Bond may be subjective, but I think it's fair to say the last truly classic Bond was DAD even when it was OTT, that's classic Bond too.

Spectre showed how CR, QOS and SF can never be called classic Bond, too many of the beloved traits were missing. With CR, as a one-off Bond Begins film it was ok, but with QOS and especially dreary SF it was a crime of gigantic proportions.
    Luckily QOS is highly entertaining, it more or less saved the Craig-era from being an endless bore between CR and SP.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Classic Bond may be subjective, but I think it's fair to say the last truly classic Bond was DAD even when it was OTT, that's classic Bond too.

Spectre showed how CR, QOS and SF can never be called classic Bond, too many of the beloved traits were missing. With CR, as a one-off Bond Begins film it was ok, but with QOS and especially dreary SF it was a crime of gigantic proportions.
    Luckily QOS is highly entertaining, it more or less saved the Craig-era from being an endless bore between CR and SP.
    I actually agree with this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Just take away the angst and trust issues between Bond, MI6 and the villains and it would be Classic Bond again. It's the melodramatic soap operatic angst that's making Modern Bond reek of Bourne.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Just take away the angst and trust issues between Bond, MI6 and the villains and it would be Classic Bond again. It's the melodramatic soap operatic angst that's making Modern Bond reek of Bourne.

And they try way too hard to make Bond be a "bad boy." It's gotten to the point where it's clichéd (and some have the nerve to say classic Bond was clichéd). I'm surprised they haven't completed it by giving Bond a leather jacket and a Harley-Davidson.

And they try way too hard to make Bond be a "bad boy." It's gotten to the point where it's clichéd (and some have the nerve to say classic Bond was clichéd). I'm surprised they haven't completed it by giving Bond a leather jacket and a Harley-Davidson.
    I'm also not satisfied with Bond's wardrobe. Give him the suits back as well as clothes that make him a respectable man. I mean... The casual clothes... Look at how Pierce was dressed in GoldenEye (DB5 scene, Monaco) and Die Another Day (Cuba, the floral shirt and linen trousers). These still made him look respectable. The leather jackets and tight jeans in the Craig era, for me, are cringe-worthy. Not Bondian at all.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,756

I'm also not satisfied with Bond's wardrobe. Give him the suits back as well as clothes that make him a respectable man. I mean... The casual clothes... Look at how Pierce was dressed in GoldenEye (DB5 scene, Monaco) and Die Another Day (Cuba, the floral shirt and linen trousers). These still made him look respectable. The leather jackets and tight jeans in the Craig era, for me, are cringe-worthy. Not Bondian at all.

If Fleming's Bond was alive today, he would wear a leather jacket on his off time at least.

As for this thread, I wish Bond was a bit more cultured and picky like Fleming's Bond was: knowing his wine, food, etc.

If Fleming's Bond was alive today, he would wear a leather jacket on his off time at least.
    I don't think he would at all. Nor sport a stubble.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I'm surprised they haven't completed it by giving Bond a leather jacket and a Harley-Davidson.

How about a backward cap and a skateboard?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited November 2016 Posts: 11,139
    "Classic Bond" is overrated.

For me, there are only a handful of classic Bond films that are actually great. The majority, however, are mediocre to kind of bad. As far as I'm concerned we'd be blessed if we got more films like CR; a film that obviously has its flaws but it still feels like a legit thriller that subverts classic tropes and delivers something fresh and authentic.

SP maybe the closest to "Classic Bond" of the Craig era but I see it as the weakest and the laziest attempt at making a Bond film in a very long time. Any more Bond films made like this and I'll soon be disillusioned.

People have issues with QoS but I regard it as the second best of the Craig era and you know what it's biggest flaw is? Not the writer's strike, nor the editing and not even the state of the screenplay. It's biggest flaw was the budget. QoS is the Bond film that is the biggest departure from classic Bond and is creatively the most experimental. However, when being so artistically liberal that's when the budget needs to plummet. QoS had that free artistic license and had to deal with the various handixaps that plagued preproduction and it turned out better than it probably should have. I'd definitely take QoS over many of the so called classic Bond films and I'm sure I'm in a very small minority group with this perspective.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Vote for traditional Bond film well written like TSWLM.
    +1

I agree but actually think SP fits that description. I put TSWLM, GE and SP in the same boat: they're formula driven but are (for their time) modern, well written and just have a sense of fun and energy to them that makes them feel fresh and not generic in the least.

What would he wear then? In the winter I can imagine him wearing a top coat, overcoat, peacoat... but I don't see why Bond would scoff at a nice leather jacket.

What would he wear then? In the winter I can imagine him wearing a top coat, overcoat, peacoat... but I don't see why Bond would scoff at a nice leather jacket.
    I listed the examples above... Which work for the warmer weathers. For the winters, it's all you've listed above minus the leather jacket. Bond isn't the type for it. Not the Bond I know, that is.

I listed the examples above... Which work for the warmer weathers. For the winters, it's all you've listed above minus the leather jacket. Bond isn't the type for it. Not the Bond I know, that is.

Fair enough I suppose. What other outfits didn't you like?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Agreed. His hair is always wrong too.
    I'm surprised they haven't completed it by giving Bond a leather jacket and a Harley-Davidson.

How about a backward cap and a skateboard?

He can be the playground bully.
  • I completely agree with this-
    doubleoego wrote: »

For me, there are only a handful of classic Bond films that are actually great. The majority, however, are mediocre to kind of bad. As far as I'm concerned we'd be blessed if we got more films like CR; a film that obviously has its flaws but it still feels like a legit thriller that subverts classic tropes and delivers something fresh and authentic.

SP maybe the closest to "Classic Bond" of the Craig era but I see it as the weakest and the laziest attempt at making a Bond film in a very long time. Any more Bond films made like this and I'll soon be disillusioned.

People have issues with QoS but I regard it as the second best of the Craig era and you know what it's biggest flaw is? Not the writer's strike, nor the editing and not even the state of the screenplay. It's biggest flaw was the budget. QoS is the Bond film that is the biggest departure from classic Bond and is creatively the most experimental. However, when being so artistically liberal that's when the budget needs to plummet. QoS had that free artistic license and had to deal with the various handixaps that plagued preproduction and it turned out better than it probably should have. I'd definitely take QoS over many of the so called classic Bond films and I'm sure I'm in a very small minority group with this perspective.

Couldn't agree more. Perfectly said.

Fair enough I suppose. What other outfits didn't you like?
    From the Craig era or the entire franchise overall?
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,325

This is spot on. I don't get people on here sometimes. Spectre gets so much flak on here for being derivative and relying on references to other Bonds and now everyone wants a box-ticking 'classic'. If the series goes down that road it will become boring, stale, cliche and full of self-parody as it progressively did in the Brosnan era.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd like a Bond movie without the dull angst, trust issues and personal villain connections. Let's get a nice adventure somewhere exotic and soak in the scenery while we're at it.