The Amazing Tom Cruise Movie checklist!

Comments

• 2013 Oblivion- not seen.
    2012 Jack Reacher- cracking thriller.
    2012 Rock of Ages- not seen.
    2011 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol- exciting action like Bond used to have.
    2010 Knight and Day- Pretty good lighthearted romp.
    2008 Valkyrie- Not seen
    2008 Tropic Thunder- Not very funny, Three Amigos is much funnier.
    2007 Lions for Lambs- Not seen.
    2006 Mission: Impossible III- Not bad huge improvement over MI2
    2005 War of the Worlds- Pretty good has it's moments, rubbish ending.
    2004 Collateral- Pretty good need to re-watch.
    2003 The Last Samurai- Not seen.
    2002 Minority Report- Decent Sc-Fi thriller.
    2001 Vanilla Sky- Cracking bizarre film.
    2000 Mission: Impossible II- Truly awful.
    1999 Magnolia- Not seen.
    1999 Eyes Wide Shut- Not bad thriller, leaves an impression.
    1996 Jerry Maguire- Entertaining.
    1996 Mission: Impossible- Brilliant espionage thriller.
    1994 Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles- Not bad.
    1993 The Firm- Very good!
    1992 A Few Good Men- Not bad.
    1992 Far and Away- not good.
    1990 Days of Thunder- A bit poo really.
    1989 Born on the Fourth of July- Not seen.
    1988 Rain Man- Very good.
    1988 Cocktail- Stupid but entertaining.
    1986 The Color of Money- ok.
    1986 Top Gun- A bit pants really but hey.
    1985 Legend- Not seen.
    1983 All the Right Moves -Okay I guess.
    1983 Risky Business- Ok.
    1983 Losin' It- Not seen.
    1983 The Outsiders- Not seen.
    1981 Taps- Not seen.
    1981 Endless Love - Not seen.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I don't get this, lots of people seem to say this, but I like it immensely. It has clear & large plot holes, but the bad guys, their plan, the stunts, the music, the editing, the photography.... the whole flick is an auditory & visual feast. I actually just watched it again last night.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    I don't get this, lots of people seem to say this, but I like it immensely. It has clear & large plot holes, but the bad guys, their plan, the stunts, the music, the editing, the photography.... the whole flick is an auditory & visual feast. I actually just watched it again last night.

Well, I just don't like it, Cruise seems to be playing a different character from the first film and I can't stand all the slo-mo shots and the terrible soundtrack. The whole mask trick gets very old in this film and Dougary Scott is a very poor villan.

It just feels like a badly made action film that happens to star Tom Cruise and doesn't really feel like the rest of the MI films. But this is just my opinion. if you love it, thats ok with me.
  • chrisisall wrote:

It's probably because, apart from the theme tune, it bears absolutely no connection to the world of Mission Impossible. It is essentially just another generic action movie, and a John Woo one at that, complete with twin handguns, slow motion and white doves!
    a John Woo one at that, complete with twin handguns, slow motion and white doves!
    I guess I just love woo & Zimmer then. ^:)^
    I give you that it's the different one, I just like it every bit as well as the other three, just for totally different reasons is all.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Basically it´s a brilliant film, with typical (and great) John Woo stuntwork and slo mo. But for some reason Thandie Newton ruins it for me, even though I otherwise find her very much fun to watch. But in MI2 she just seems to be in the wrong movie.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I have seen some of his movies including :

MI 1-3 (Number 2 is the best of them)
    Valkyrie
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Jerry Maguire
    The Firm
    Cocktail
    Top Gun
    Risky Business

unfinished : Wars of the World
    then Collateral and The Last Samuraï as his best IMEO

total : 12,5
    MI 1-3 (Number 2 is the best of them)
    Firstly, you HAVE to see 4, secondly, I don't think 2 is the best, just maybe the most repeat-watchable. Great music & photography & absolutely clear good vs, bad...

IMO, MI is like TLD. MI2 is like TND, MI3 is like LTK, and MI4 is like SF (all in general tone, not story of course), except that, the Bond movies I mostly like better.
    I always liked Mi3, especially the whole "Brain bomb" idea.

It was on TV the other day. Where have I seen a hero take out a load of agents in a lift before? :-?
    Just watched Jack Reacher. REALLY good. :)>-
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:

I'm with you on this. It receives so much hate that I don't agree with. The movie is fantastic, great locales and stunts, intense fight sequences and shoot outs, and one of the best kills in a film I've ever seen, albeit unrealistic: when he's on the motorcycle in the finale and takes out that car with his handgun after he stoppies.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    when he's on the motorcycle in the finale and takes out that car with his handgun after he stoppies.
    Awesome editing in that scene!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    when he's on the motorcycle in the finale and takes out that car with his handgun after he stoppies.
    Awesome editing in that scene!

Absolutely. As he spins in slow motion and it cuts to a normal speed as he empties his magazine into the car? Total adrenaline rush, such an awesome moment.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Just watched Jack Reacher. REALLY good. :)>-

glad you enjoyed it, despite Tom obvioulsy being physically nothing like the character I think he did a great job.
    Actually, now that I think on it, I should have said really great. It was so well written & directed. =D>
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    Actually, now that I think on it, I should have said really great. It was so well written & directed. =D>

I will have to check it out. And I do believe the director is doing the next Mission Impossible film with Tom as well, so there's that.
    chrisisall wrote:

The first time I saw it, I wasn't that impressed by it. I think it had to do with doing a double showing with 'Django Unchained,' maybe? If that's the case, you couldn't top that film for me that day, so 'Jack Reacher' was just bland in comparison.

Watched it again on DVD when it came out and I loved it. Fun little film. And yes, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, Christopher McQuarrie is lined up to direct 'Mission: Impossible V.' I'm really looking forward to that.
    I do believe the director is doing the next Mission Impossible film with Tom as well, so there's that.
    Oh that's so gravy.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I do believe the director is doing the next Mission Impossible film with Tom as well, so there's that.
    Oh that's so gravy.

I love the scene in 'Jack Reacher' when his car stalls. I'm pretty sure Cruise did all of his own driving stunts, and the car didn't mean to stall, but it did and they kept filming, and he manages to start it up again and continue. Cruise is such a badass.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I've seen 20 of his films, although I don't think "Outsiders" should be in this list. Yes he was in it but for a very short amount of time. You might as well put "Austin Powers in Goldmember" on this list because of his cameo.
    Anyway, this is the order of my Tom Cruise list...

The Last Samurai - my favorite movie
    Oblivion - in my top three favorite sci-fi films
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    Mission Impossible III
    Jack Reacher
    Legend - they don't make fantasy/adventure films like this anymore
    Collateral - my favorite hit-man movie
    Mission Impossible
    War of the Worlds
    Minority Report
    Jerry Maguire - the only 'chick flick' film I like
    Knight and Day
    Mission Impossible II
    Top Gun
    Tropic Thunder
    Interview With A Vampire - been awhile since I've seen it, so it could change
    Rock of Ages - most hated it but I enjoyed it
    Valkyrie
    The Outsiders
    Vanilla Sky
    Eyes Wide Shut

Tom Cruise is in my top three favorite actors, maybe even in the number one spot. He has yet to make a movie, that I've seen, that I hated. Sure he's made some let downs but nothing that I felt like I wasted two hours of my life on. I need to check out the others that I haven't seen.
    @QsAssistant, seeing that you're also a fan of Cruise, you really need to check out 'Rain Man.' One of his best.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I'm not a fan of his and haven't seen all that many.

But I did appreciate his work in:
    Risky Business
    Rain Man
    Mission Impossible
    Ghost Protocol
    The Last Samurai

I do want to see Collateral; I'll try to rent it this weekend.
    I'm not a fan of his and haven't seen all that many.

But I did appreciate his work in:
    Risky Business
    Rain Man
    Mission Impossible
    Ghost Protocol
    The Last Samurai

I do want to see Collateral; I'll try to rent it this weekend.

Let us know your thoughts on it. 'Collateral' has to be in my Top 3 Cruise films list. It's so exciting and intense throughout, I love it.
    Minority Report
    I wanted to like that so badly, but I just couldn't.....
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    @Creasy47, I've seen bits and pieces of "Rain Man" on TV over the years and from what I've seen it looks good. The same with "Days of Thunder" but I wasn't as intrigued with that one as much as his other films. I'll have to rent both just to at least say I've seen them.

@4EverBonded, You should check it out and get back to us on your thoughts of it. It's one of the few, if not the only film where I find myself actually rooting for the villain, which is play by Cruise.

@chrisisall, I actually wasn't a big fan of "Minority Report" the first time I saw it. In fact, it took multiple views before I truly enjoyed it. Had I only seen it once or twice it would've been much lower on my list, probably right above "Rock of Ages".
    @QsAssistant, I think most of his older 'classics' I suppose have yet to be watched by me, like 'Days of Thunder' and 'Top Gun.'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @QsAssistant, I think most of his older 'classics' I suppose have yet to be watched by me, like 'Days of Thunder' and 'Top Gun.'
    Days Of Thunder is for race car nuts; Top Gun is for jet plane nuts- as I'm peripherally fascinated by that stuff, I enjoyed them a lot (though I don't own them).
  • Favorite Cruise movies would include The Firm, Mission Impossible II, Jerry Maguire, Rain Man and Vanilla Sky. The latter was a very surreal movie

There were one or two releases I saw years ago in the 1980s but can't remember the titles. One has Cruise in a house-party scenario when his parents are away, and the other has a jungle setting, but damned if I can recall the actual titles. Saw Top Gun on release, but didn't like it at all, so have never watched again since that day. I think it caters for a certain clientele. One that I fail to recognize
    Favorite Cruise movies would include The Firm, Mission Impossible II, Jerry Maguire, Rain Man and Vanilla Sky. The latter was a very surreal movie

There were one or two releases I saw years ago in the 1980s but can't remember the titles. One has Cruise in a house-party scenario when his parents are away, and the other has a jungle setting, but damned if I can recall the actual titles. Saw Top Gun on release, but didn't like it at all, so have never watched again since that day. I think it caters for a certain clientele. One that I fail to recognize

Ahh, someone else who loves 'Mission Impossible II,' as well, unless that was a typo! I feared I was the only one.
  • I haven't seen Mission Impossible IV, and didn't think much of the third. The first is good, but it doesn't have the intensity of the second, and what makes it work, is Dougray Scott's memorable villain, and the attractive Newton as an ally of Hunt

I'm not a fan of the Mission Impossible movies, but so far, recognize the second as the best of the three I have seen thus far. 2000 was a good year for Movies, (The Beach, Final Destination, Hollow Man etc), and MI2 was no exception. I don't watch the latest releases though. I think Cruise is too old - or inappropriate - for the Hunt role now