Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I just came back from my 2nd showing, this time in IMAX.

One word: Orgasmic.

I can safely say this is the best experience I have had in a movie theatre since TDK, and CR before that. It was even better the 2nd time.

Truly a magnificent and uplifting film, with pitch perfect humour, a tremendous score, and excellent acting by all concerned. Just all round great storytelling here.

I am revising my rankings (and I've never really been a big SW fan) because I find the acting in this new film overall to be superior to the older films, but knocking a few points because of the derivative nature of some of the story. I hope to see it again once more, in IMAX as well:

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Phantom Menace (for that epic battle at the end with the superb Darth Maul)
    6. Revenge of the Sith (knocked down only because of Hayden)
    7. Attack of the Clones (Hayden again).
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just came back from my 2nd showing, this time in IMAX.

One word: Orgasmic.

I can safely say this is the best experience I have had in a movie theatre since TDK, and CR before that. It was even better the 2nd time.

Truly a magnificent and uplifting film, with pitch perfect humour, a tremendous score, and excellent acting by all concerned. Just all round great storytelling here.

I am revising my rankings (and I've never really been a big SW fan) because I find the acting in this new film overall to be superior to the older films, but knocking a few points because of the derivative nature of some of the story. I hope to see it again once more, in IMAX as well:

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars
    3. The Force Awakens
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. The Phantom Menace (for that epic battle at the end with the superb Darth Maul)
    6. Revenge of the Sith (knocked down only because of Hayden)
    7. Attack of the Clones (Hayden again).

You sure you were actually watching a SW film, and not some other type of film? :)
    @mepal1, films rarely impress me in such a complete manner these days. Sure, I've seen great films this year, like MM-FR, or MI-RN, but SW7-TFA is in the TDK/CR league for me, and that kind of experience only comes along once every 5 or so years. It was a privilege to see such great storytelling and film making again. JJ, thank you sir.
    @mepal1, films rarely impress me in such a complete manner these days. Sure, I've seen great films this year, like MM-FR, or MI-RN, but SW7-TFA is in the TDK/CR league for me, and that kind of experience only comes along once every 5 or so years. It was a privilege to see such great storytelling and film making again. JJ, thank you sir.

I can see that you didn't get my British sarcastic humour. ;)

but i understand what you are saying about SW7, and i hope to feel that way when i see the film as well. :)
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I can see that you didn't get my British sarcastic humour. ;)
    No, I got it. ;)

It was either that term to describe my experience, or 'religious' / spiritual, and I preferred the former.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @RC7, I can't agree more. There are times when I even question my choice to consider Barry the greatest composer of all time. Williams really is phenomenal.
    Here's Daniel's cameo in SW7.
    https://m.vk.com/video132443612_171875716?list=8ce69734626d8fb13c&from=wall-154044_21079

Don't click on the link if you don't want to see it. It's very easy to avoid :-)

Credit DtD
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I love his reading of that scene, classic Craig sarcasm in the line
    "and I'll drop my weapon"

Well at least he got to be in one truly great film this year.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Is it really him? :P Oh boy, I hadn't noticed.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @RC7, I can't agree more. There are times when I even question my choice to consider Barry the greatest composer of all time. Williams really is phenomenal.

No doubt, John Williams is a great film composer, you only have to look through hI
    Is it really him? :P Oh boy, I hadn't noticed.

It certainly sounded like Craig.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 3,168
    Watched TFA this afternoon and loving it! I'm particularly appreciative of the aesthetics of the film. Choosing naturalism and retro-SW over the shiny plastic of the prequels, TFA successfully demonstrates that "because we can" isn't a valid excuse to make SW look like a cartoon come to life.
    This is exactly why I should love TFA, because you are right.
    such great storytelling.
    This is exactly why I didn't like TFA as much as I have hoped, because I think you are wrong.

Like many others have pointed out, and complained, TFA is basically short on original ideas. The whole layout of the story is a reimagining of Ep.IV's.
    droid-carrying-hidden-message-must-locate-unknowing teenage protaganist in the desert-who-will-help-the-resistance-destory-a-death star
    kind of thing, just with some alter ego characters. All this is acceptable to me, though, since TFA serves as a setup for VIII, and have many other things going for it.

What is not acceptable to me, is they way that TFA handles the force.
    So the very same jedi who can stop laser blasts coming towards him by using the force, can't beat a deserted stormtropper clearly in a light-saber duel? Really?
    And the young female lead goes from unknowing rookie to learing to master the jedi mind trick in a matter of no time? Wow. That one took Luke Skywalker three movies to learn to master.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    You have a point on your last spoiler @Zekidk. I certainly felt that scenario wasn't credible. However, there is a lot we don't know yet which may be laid out for us in the next installment, including why characters act the way they do.

I still think this film, derivative though it may be (and it is), could have gone in so many directions that would have disappointed me (and I'm not easy to please). It didn't. It held my attention throughout, with tight direction, compelling characters, a suitable antagonist & high stakes.

Humour was, as I said earlier, pitch perfect, and each actor did what they had to superbly well.

It's definitely not faultless, and I didn't expect it to be, but I have no problem with the unoriginal premise, because it's executed well imho, and it is cribbing from something that is 38 yrs old and a benchmark, so I'm willing to let it slide.

If I have any issues it's
    with the Death Star repeat, which was one time too many, as has been mentioned above - especially how the Empire hasn't figured out how to protect its weak spots from attack
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I saw it for a second time last night. My first viewing was nice and low key since the theater only had 70 seats, but this time I decided to see it in IMAX at Disneyland with a massive crowd to really get the full experience. Hearing the crowd applaud and react throughout the film in the stereotypical American manner really made the viewing that much more enjoyable.

I think what I really like about TFA is the simple plot, practical effects, and the seemingly tangible sets. Those are some of the things I associate the most with the original trilogy, and what the prequels lacked. TFA feels like a Star Wars movie.
  • Is Craig's cameo totally confirmed?
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Is Craig's cameo totally confirmed?

Yes. Try and spot him.
    I prefer this ending:

;)
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Shardlake wrote: »

Yes, it was called Spectre

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Harrison Ford, the only person who can be happy and angry at the same time.

1958015_10154344585526840_5650296844941309535_n.jpg?oh=78b0a352ab132c46f06d43276bde31b2&oe=56DD97D2
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is how he "acts". He just turns his head.
    All right, a (possible) explanation under spoilers :
    Many have remarked how easy it was for Rey to master the Force. And I agree, that's quite unbelievable, especially if we consider that she's also an emerit pilot and a great mechanic. In fact, if not for Daisy Ridley's acting, we could almost consider her a Mary Sue. But, there might be an explanation, and it has to do with what JJ Abrams has done before.

Could it be that she already knew those things beforehand, and that the contact of Luke's lightsaber simply awakened said force skills which she had without knowing ? I don't mean that she's a member of that messed-up Skywalker family (frankly, those people could give Oediipus a run for his money). No, but perhas she was trained in her infancy and made to forget until such a time that she would need those abilities. And the reason I'm thiniking of that theory is because of...

"Alias". Yes, Rey is the new Sidney Bristow, who, if you remember well, was also trained as a spy when she was a little girl, and then brainwashed so that she only remembered wat she learned later on in her adulthood. The fact that Daisy Ridley looks a bit like a young Jennifer Garner is a point in favor of my theory.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe I'll be Jossed, who knows ?

And as for Finn holding hhis own against Kilo(gram) Ren (yes, too easy, I know), well, he's been trained as a stormtrooper, including in hand to hand and close quarter weapon combat. And he doesn't last very long, even if he manages to get some lucky shots. Kilo(meter) (see above) was already wounded by Chewbacca when he confronted first Finn, and then Rey, and that might have played a part in his defeat. He was not, at that time, at the peak of his abilities.

There, here goes. Let me know what you think.
    I agree @Gerard. I assume something like that is going to be revealed in later episodes, to explain things more clearly. There is far more here than we have been shown to date, and it will unfold over the course of the new films.
    I don t buy it.
    Interesting, Birdyson.

Regardless, TFA is a top three SW movie.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,767
    Seriously though, I'm glad the film takes us back to beloved characters and conflicts. One actor felt miscast,
    the guy playing Kylo Ren...
    Really? I thought he did a great job. IMO there are worlds between him and Hayden.

If at all,
    Finn
    could have had a little more charisma. But it was not that he bothered me or anything.

Did we ever find out Rey's last name? Is it Liotta? Stantz? Charles? ;)
    Or
    Skywalker?
    Rey is her last name. Her first name is Gamma ;-).
    Kylo was fantastic. Made me believe in him, unlike Hayden. Seriously, this Heythen character was Darth freaking Vader? Don t think so!
    No, it's Manta.
    If Finn and Rey have a child, the next hero in SW X will be Black Man Rey.
    Aka X-Rey.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, that movie was enjoyable.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote: »

Yes, it was called Spectre

If only that was true, the elements of SPECTRE that some have issues with some are saying TFA is getting a free pass with but it wasn't the homage moments in SP that was the problem, it was the Blofeld nonsense and the two lamest set pieces of the Craig era as well as a not very well thought out plot.

TFA didn't have any lame set pieces whatsover at all and had nothing a sacrilege as P&W ridiculous Blofeld linked to Bond past nonsense. Instead it paid respect to the series with great wit and warmth, SPECTRE was a particularly cold fish in comparison that at times was lacking any sense of danger.