Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• JNOJNO Finland
    TFA was surprisingly good! I liked SP also so I´ve gain some profit from my investments this winter.

Both films were good entertainment. Is there more to be expected?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @JNO, how about QT's new one? The Hateful Eight? :)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @JNO, how about QT's new one? The Hateful Eight? :)

Not QT's best, but still a pretty good film.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @mepal1, we know, you watched an illegal DVD screener online. ;)

Really looking forward to 'The Hateful Eight,' however. QT hasn't let me down yet.

@Murdock, couldn't agree more about SP and TFA: both were very entertaining and I look forward to watching them many more times once they're out on blu-ray.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Really looking forward to 'The Hateful Eight,' however. QT hasn't let me down yet.

@Murdock, couldn't agree more about SP and TFA: both were very entertaining and I look forward to watching them many more times once they're out on blu-ray.

Don't tell everyone, btw isn't illegal a sick bird?

:D
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

To be honest, The Hateful Eight doesn't look terribly interesting to me. With that said, Tarantino always delivers so I'm sure I'm going to love it. I'm seeing tomorrow night in 70mm, so if anything, it'll be a great cinematic experience.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

To be honest, The Hateful Eight doesn't look terribly interesting to me. With that said, Tarantino always delivers so I'm sure I'm going to love it. I'm seeing tomorrow night in 70mm, so if anything, it'll be a great cinematic experience.

That's how I feel; the premise sounds fantastic, but the trailers haven't really excited me. Enjoy the 70mm version! You get some extra footage in that, I'm jealous.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 12,269
    Just finished Attack of the Clones, and had watched The Phantom Menace yesterday. I've always been nicer to the prequel trilogy than most people I know. I recognize 1 and 2 are not very good films, but I still find things in them to enjoy. They each have plenty of issues, but I can't help but enjoy the good stuff in them; for me anyway, they are still passable entertainment.

I find it interesting how heavily split people are on which prequel between the two is better/worse, and after my most recent re-watches, it's nearly a tossup for me. I think Phantom Menace has the highest highs and the lowest lows of the two, while Clones is pretty consistent overall. It could switch on any given re-watch, but for now I'll side with Clones; less of Jar Jar is enough for me. Then again, the awful romance scenes are hard to get through. BUT Clones also has Jango Fett and Count Dooku - two of my favorite Star Wars characters. Anyways, they're definitely the weakest Star Wars films, but I'll always insist it's too far to call them exceptionally bad films. I have seen a LOT of bad movies, and these wouldn't come close to the worst films I've seen.
    @Birdleson, I'm glad you mention QT's first three films. I often feel like a lot of love is missing for Jackie Brown. That's actually quite an impressive film. The fact that it's more a story about people ageing and looking for a way out of their current boring and repetitive lives rather than a cool gangster movie apparently posed a hindrance to many.

I'd rank Tarantino's directed movies as follows:

1. Pulp Fiction (it's a generational thing)
    2. Inglorious Bastards
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Kill Bill Vol. 1
    6. Death Proof
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Kill Bill Vol. 2
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Just finished Attack of the Clones, and had watched The Phantom Menace yesterday. I've always been nicer to the prequel trilogy than most people I know. I recognize 1 and 2 are not very good films, but I still find things in them to enjoy. They each have plenty of issues, but I can't help but enjoy the good stuff in them; for me anyway, they are still passable entertainment.

I find it interesting how heavily split people are on which prequel between the two is better/worse, and after my most recent re-watches, it's nearly a tossup for me. I think Phantom Menace has the highest highs and the lowest lows of the two, while Clones is pretty consistent overall. It could switch on any given re-watch, but for now I'll side with Clones; less of Jar Jar is enough for me. Then again, the awful romance scenes are hard to get through. BUT Clones also has Jango Fett and Count Dooku - two of my favorite Star Wars characters. Anyways, they're definitely the weakest Star Wars films, but I'll always insist it's too far to call them exceptionally bad films. I have seen a LOT of bad movies, and these wouldn't come close to the worst films I've seen.

I always enjoyed the prequels, too. Although TFA is much more consistent in terms of quality, I don't think there was anything in TFA that was as good as the Darth Maul duel in TPM.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Clones is by far the worst if you ask me. I can't single out any particular scene I actually like. Its all a convoluted, schizofrenic, epileptic mess of nonsensical CGI. And on top of that it contains some of the worst acting and dialogue ever seen in a high budget blockbuster. Oh dear...

Phantom is a mess too, but at least it has some warmth and charm to it, as well as decent scenes now and then...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I don't think there was anything in TFA that was as good as the Darth Maul duel in TPM.
    That fight is an all time great for me. Williams' score is just out of this world and the choreography is breathtaking, with no apparent CGI. That's the only reason I rank TPM above the other two prequels - due to that magnificent duel. I hope we get something as good in later installments.

The Darth Maul duel in Ep. 1 is epic, I'll give you that. And Williams' Duel Of The Fates lifts it even higher. One of the things I'm missing from the TFA score is an iconic piece like that one. :)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,043

Me too Hateful Eight is definitely one of my most awaited films of recent times. I would say QT has only really let me down once and that was Death Proof, easily his worst film and the only film of his I didn't pay to see on the big screen.

That being said I very much enjoyed Django with reservations but I didn't think it was on the same level as Inglourious and hope that H8 is an improvement, with that cast and setting I can't see it not being. That being said Jackie Brown is my favourite QT film with IB 2nd then Reservoir 3rd.

PF would be 4th, Ijust don't see that as the flawless masterpiece that others do. I think it as a whole is very impressive with some great performances but the Butch & Marsellus moment with Zed and the gimp leaves a bad taste in my mouth and QT casting himself as Jimmy. Although it's nowhere as a atrocious as that character he plays in Django, it's like his acting has got worse. He said quite recently that his dialogue isn't for all actors, that is right Quentin and you are one of them, write it and direct it but please don't act in it.

The idea of QT making a suspense film is most tantalising. I've heard it referred to as John Ford filtered through John Carpenter's The Thing. Sounds unmissable.

Also having his first proper score and it being Ennio Morricone is almost worth the admission alone, I listened to the opening theme on line recently and it's a cracking piece of music that for me recalled his Untouchables score in parts. I've preordered the vinyl of the score a few weeks back, I have them all on vinyl apart from Death Proof which I sold for £100 on Ebay this year.

I can't say for sure but the fact you've (@mepal1) obviously seen this on the small screen considering the 70mm aspect is a big part of it's affect you aren't really seeing it the way this film is supposed to be viewed so I'll wait till I hear from one of us here who as actually seen it in it's the intentional format before I take anyone seriously on their view, no offense.

1. Jackie Brown
    2. Inglourious Basterds
    3. Resevoir Dogs
    4. Pulp Fiction
    5. Kill Bill
    6. Django Unchained
    7. Kill Bill 2
    8. Death Proof
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I don't want to hijack this thread on account of QT, but I agree that Django wasn't quite up to his previous efforts. I haven't seen Death Proof, but I'm looking forward to Hateful Eight.

My ranking:
    -Pulp Fiction (basement scene alone gives it the win)
    -Inglorious Basterds
    -Reservoir Dogs
    -Jackie Brown
    -Kill Bill 1
    -Django Unchained
    -Kill Bill 2

This scene from Django is incredible though. Leonardo scared the crap out of me
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Loved the fight at the end of the phantom menace. I just grew apart from Star Wars after 2005 when we were told that was it. The story was over. Even with the books, it always was how many Sith Lords and super weapons can they do before it gets old? After a while the Star Wars need to end.
    I may have to see force awakens even though I have read spoiler review because I couldn't wait anymore but now I am not sure I even want to
    A complete retread of episode 4 and Han and leia's kid is Kylo Ren are you kidding me another skywalker villain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The prequels at least were better as Lucas for all his faults didn't make Maul Sidious Dooko and grievous Anakins long lost family. I mean this all sounds very tired and poor and I could care less that Han is back or Luke I care about an intriguing story and this just feels like a remake now mind you I haven't seen it I only saw the reviews but we shall see as for the prequels I plan on rewatching all 6 films at some point if for nothing else fun to see Natalie Portman in the outfit in episode 2

Find it hard to take seriously a bond fan complaining about familiarity In a film franchise.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Find it hard to take seriously a bond fan complaining about familiarity In a film franchise.
    Game, set and match

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack this thread on account of QT, but I agree that Django wasn't quite up to his previous efforts. I haven't seen Death Proof, but I'm looking forward to Hateful Eight.

My ranking:
    -Pulp Fiction (basement scene alone gives it the win)
    -Inglorious Basterds
    -Reservoir Dogs
    -Jackie Brown
    -Kill Bill 1
    -Django Unchained
    -Kill Bill 2

This scene from Django is incredible though. Leonardo scared the crap out of me

To be honest Leo is the stand out of the film, Waltz is great but it is Leo who really plays against type and has a ball with QT's dialogue.

Not so sure about Jamie though, I get the impression another actor might have sold that role better. Honorable mention to Samuel L, it's just a good job he pops up in his films or we'd wonder if he'd forgotten how to act with the rubbish he's in these days.

Sorry to take if off track back to Star Wars!

• RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't think there was anything in TFA that was as good as the Darth Maul duel in TPM.
    That fight is an all time great for me. Williams' score is just out of this world and the choreography is breathtaking, with no apparent CGI. That's the only reason I rank TPM above the other two prequels - due to that magnificent duel. I hope we get something as good in later installments.

Interesting. I also find TPM superior to AOTC and ROTS. The fact it's shot on film (as opposed to digital on the following two) gives it an edge too imo. The combination of extensive location shooting and (for the most part) decent CGI makes it feel a little more visceral and tactile. It's precisely the same reason TFA works so well. I've never understood why ROTS is held in such high regard. Firstly they should never have committed the legendary Obi-Wan/Anakin fight to film, as it could never have surpassed the fantasies that had gestated in our minds for decades, and secondly don't do it if you're not even going to come close to the finale of supposedly the worst film in the canon.
    I love that scene so much; probably my favorite lightsaber battle. Qui-Gon and Darth Maul were also very good; helps keep the movie afloat for me every time. The action in general is good as well.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 533
    How on earth did J.J. Abrams managed to maintain a career in Hollywood for so long as a director? "The Force Awakens" is another project of his that proved to be not only unoriginal, but marred by plot holes. Well, I take some of it back. "Super 8" was unoriginal in a way. But it wasn't really hampered by its plot holes.

As for "The Force Awakens" . . . rehashing "A New Hope"? Is this what storytelling on film has devolved into?
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 12,269
    Watching Revenge of the Sith now; has been my personal favorite Star Wars film for a while now. Much more engaging and well-done than the first two prequels. I recognize it still has its problems, but I really love the film - great for action AND depression.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,314
    I just saw it for the second time tonight. I enjoyed it more this time around because I knew what to expect. The hype surrounding this, combined with my own expectations, prevented me from being fully satisfied the first time. It still suffers from some major issues but there are certain things that it gets so right that you just can't help but enjoy yourself.

I wanted to share some thoughts. It's taken me a week and two viewings to absorb it all. I'll still probably miss some important points. Needless to say, extreme spoilers ahead. Read at your own risk.
    - I really hope that we get to learn the identity of Max von Sydow's character. Otherwise, what was the point in casting him?

- John Boyega did an admirable job of showing us Finn's conflict in the opening scenes but perhaps this shouldn't have been his first battle. He's practically been trained since birth to be a soldier. I just think it would have made more sense for him to slowly get discouraged and disgusted after many different conflicts/deaths.

- I enjoyed Poe and Finn's escape but unfortunately the trailer ruined the surprise that Poe survives. Oh well. Overall, they did a great job of not giving too much away.

- At first it bothered me that Jakku was a Tatooine ripoff. They "borrowed" so much from the original that at times it's disheartening. I understand the need to use nostalgic imagery but with all of the other familiar faces and vehicles returning, did we really need to be in the desert again?

- I wonder if romance will bloom between Rey and Finn? The potential is there.

- Han and Chewie's return aboard the Falcon was brilliant. Unfortunately, what follows is easily my least favorite part of the film. I hate that Han is a smuggler again. I understand the explanation but I still don't think it fits this old man. Isn't the character too mature at this point to return to such a dangerous lifestyle? This part really reminded me of Indy 4. Yikes. And don't even get me started on those ridiculous monsters. They eat everyone in their path except Finn, who just gets wrapped around in the tentacles and carried around the ship. Seriously, this whole part was clown shoes guys.

- Harrison really brought his A game. What a fantastic performance. Everyone is speculating that he made a deal to return only if Han was killed because it's what he's always wanted. Perhaps it's true and that is why he gave us his all. More thoughts about Han's death later. For now, I just loved the range of emotions he gave us. This time, underneath the brash exterior, was a haunted old man who was tormented about the loss of his son.

- Daisy Ridley was everything I could have hoped for and more. She's an incredible heroine. However, isn't it a bit convenient how quickly she masters the Force? I hope we get an adequate explanation later on but I'm guessing we won't. Please don't tell me she's Luke's daughter. Not everyone has to be related.

- Which leads me to Kylo Ren. I was originally on the fence about him. I have decided that I like him. He is a real person who is deeply flawed and shows vulnerability. The mask is just for intimidation. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I was originally turned off about another member of the family turning to the dark side. I still am but at least now we see how Anakin should have been portrayed. It will be most interesting to learn more about his betrayal. I hope they don't try to redeem him in the end. I will never forgive him for killing Han. [-(

- I hated Supreme Leader Snoke. Why did he have to be CGI? It was very fake looking and reminded me of the prequels. It might pass as acceptable for a hologram but what will happen when we see him in person? Domhnall Gleeson was good but wasn't he way too young to be a General? Was he an important person's son or something? His Nazi speech was terrific but the Starkiller thing was ridiculous. Reminds me a bit of the hollowed out volcano. No one noticed them building this thing? Hey, just like that we destroyed five planets and now the reset button has been pressed. No more Republic. It's just Empire vs. Rebels again.

- It was nice to see Leia again. Some people have been cruel in their remarks about her. C3PO and R2D2 were pointless to the story. R2 was sad and on power saving mode? Well, at least he didn't have rockets.

- I hope we don't have a lightsaber battle as a climax for the next one. It's almost becoming as cliche as the Death Star blowing up. Still, it was great to see a return to a less choreographed and more visceral duel of people just wildly swinging at each other. I'm not sure everyone would have survived all of those wounds but whatever. Oh, and we better get an explanation of how Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber was recovered. "Traitor!" "That lightsaber, it belongs to me!" Come and get it!" I love that part. I wonder if we will get more interaction between these two in the future.

- Luke had a big part, didn't he? I would be okay with this if not for the death of Han. This is what actually angered me the most. I don't ask for much but I did want to see the old cast reunited one last time. Now this will never happen. What a missed opportunity and an unforgivable sin. Also, Luke is my favorite character and I'm really bummed that he didn't even speak. His hair flopping about in the wind reminded me of him looking at his dead aunt and uncle on Tatooine.

- The Original Trilogy was such a huge part of my childhood that it's hard to believe that the moment we have anticipated for so long is finally upon us. It's going to take a long time to understand and accept all of this as real. J.J. Abrams did his part, albeit in an unoriginal way. Here's to hoping that Rian Johnson can lead us to the promised land.
    Excellent analysis @pachazo. I agree with most of it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    STAR WARS, it was called STAR WARS. When that film broke all records and was the most popular film in the planet, no one would know what the Hell you were talking about if you used that other title. That came around years later. I give up. It's s losing battle and I'm just getting my blood pressure up.

And I know that I'm repeating myself, sometimes it just gets under my skin more than others.

@Birdleson, you should read a review by a "prominent" Norwegian journalist in one of our biggest newspapers, where he goes on about how "A New Hope" was such an uplifting title for people in 1977 after Vietnam, Nixon etc.

Sprinkled with wisdom words by Yoda from that same first film.
    Lucas actually wanted to call it Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope, but the film company said no, as they would not commit themselves to a series of films. The rest is history.
    Now I want to die.
    You should read his political pieces. Not that he is alone, far from it and that is the real tragedy. People don t mind, let someone else do the thinking, and the way they talk they sure seem to be full of knowledge.

Some will get angry if you refuse to go along with that narrative, wether we are talking Star Wars or world politics.
    Lucas actually wanted to call it Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope, but the film company said no, as they would not commit themselves to a series of films. The rest is history.

Ive read that, but I also read it as debunked. Is there a direct source to go to? And, hate to say it, Lucas seems to come up with lot of BS in interviews that implies he had this master plan all along, yet he often contradicts evidence and earlier statements. Id like to see the quotes, because I was a teenager then and read a lot of magazines and interviews and such and I never came across that title (until well into the '80s).

I read a Star Wars comic book in 1977 or 78, with a lot of background material from the film. There was a storyboard page there with the title A New Hope. I had no idea what that was supposed to mean back then. But it is obviously true that it was a tentative plan from the beginning. At the very least a working title.